Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords CC Club League

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    I wonder what difference an aero wheel, helmet, etc would have made to my time...
    Not telling:p

The biggest advantage I had tonight was the weather, which encouraged a lot of fast riders to stay at home

It counted against me also, as I had a visor on my helmet which meant if I'd worn glasses they were bound to steam up. As it turned out the combination of rain and steam meant that by about 3km I could hardly see anything anyway

3rd off, I'd planned to set the autolap to kick-in after each 2.5km with a view to getting as close to 300w as I could. I forgot to set it, but it hardly made any difference as I was mainly focussed (well as focussed as I could be) on the road ahead

The odd glance at the computer confirmed I was at or around 300w (after an initial surge), and as it transpired I averaged that over the whole ride, which will improve the CP curve a bit

I think 10km is a tough distance, as you have no opportunity for respite, and the final 1 - 1.5km is a gradually increasing incline. I ended up out of the saddle, peering into the distance desparately looking for the finishing line. I didn't stop the computer until some distance after the finish, but it still showed 39.7kph. I'd been hoping for 40kph, but given the conditions it was not too disappointing. When I checked on Strava though, it looks as if my time of 14m 43s is actually at an average speed of 40.3kph

Lusk Doyle was in just after me for his 2nd place with Staro taking 3rd, so it was a clean sweep for Swords riders - fortunately Adam was marshalling tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Beasty wrote: »
    I wonder what difference an aero wheel, helmet, etc would have made to my time...

The biggest advantage I had tonight was the weather, which encouraged a lot of fast riders to stay at home

It counted against me also, as I had a visor on my helmet which meant if I'd worn glasses they were bound to steam up. As it turned out the combination of rain and steam meant that by about 3km I could hardly see anything anyway

3rd off, I'd planned to set the autolap to kick-in after each 2.5km with a view to getting as close to 300w as I could. I forgot to set it, but it hardly made any difference as I was mainly focussed (well as focussed as I could be) on the road ahead

The odd glance at the computer confirmed I was at or around 300w (after an initial surge), and as it transpired I averaged that over the whole ride, which will improve the CP curve a bit

I think 10km is a tough distance, as you have no opportunity for respite, and the final 1 - 1.5km is a gradually increasing incline. I ended up out of the saddle, peering into the distance desparately looking for the finishing line. I didn't stop the computer until some distance after the finish, but it still showed 39.7kph. I'd been hoping for 40kph, but given the conditions it was not too disappointing. When I checked on Strava though, it looks as if my time of 14m 43s is actually at an average speed of 40.3kph

Lusk Doyle was in just after me for his 2nd place with Staro taking 3rd, so it was a clean sweep for Swords riders - fortunately Adam was marshalling tonight...
    Well done Beasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

My first ever race and thanks to all the riders for the tips and friendliness before hand.

It was tough!

Happy enough with how I did, looking at the Garmin stats I probably took the advice to "leave some for the end" too literally as I did the first two kms, downhill most of the way, far too slow.

Got my breathing under control and so crossing the line it was my legs that were on fire as opposed to my usual feeling when I'm go flat out of my lungs burning.

Came in around the 17.10 mark.

A funny length of race I found as there was no chance to rest, the only part I really suffered was coming out of the dip in the road and I slowed to about 20kph as I was in the wrong gear, I lost my rythmn and it was torture to get back to a 35+kph pace.

Well worth the experience thanks to all for the help tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Well done to Beasty, I started directly ahead of him and he caught me with about 3km to go. Tried to use him to pace myself but he was very strong tonight. My first TT, very difficult event, 6th for me, I think there was only 12 hardy souls out tonight. Thanks to Joe and all the Marshalls for everything on such a bad night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Well done Beasty
    Are you now officially a club champ or is that still up iin the air?
    Any chance of getting back to group 2 gone now i reckon ;).
    Bur genuinely great ride and well done..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Are you now officially a club champ or is that still up iin the air?
    Milverton and Balrothery Club 9.85km TT Champion, yes ...

...in terms of Swords, I think they are considering 2 options - we either head back tonight to complete the 10 miles, or Joe takes a saw to the 10m TT plaque;)

I note Dublin Wheelers cancelled their 25 miler (which was due to be at Batterstown which is why we changed courses last night) because of the weather ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I've designed a club chamions jersey especially for you !

Franklin_Liverpool_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A WIN is a WIN Beasty! you can only race those who actually turn up on the day! Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Love the twitter picture 07Lapierre! I'd say that fella meant business!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Love the twitter picture 07Lapierre! I'd say that fella meant business!

He's "Some man for one Man"! :D

• Advertisement

Great night for racing tonight, started in Group 2A, lets just call it 3 :). The group worked really well but we took about 3 1/2 laps to catch group 2. Thought we might be caught ourselfs but never were. On last lap as we crossed the bog a call came from within our group that riders were still up the road, turned out it was only 2 riders who stayed away and got 1st and 2nd, well done to them, a great proformance. Nothing left in the legs for the gallop after Wicklow 200 at the weekend but really enjoyed the night. Well done to Joe and all the Marshalls, race went off without a hitch as far as i Know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

greenmat wrote: »
    Great night for racing tonight, started in Group 2A, lets just call it 3 :). The group worked really well but we took about 3 1/2 laps to catch group 2. Thought we might be caught ourselfs but never were. On last lap as we crossed the bog a call came from within our group that riders were still up the road, turned out it was only 2 riders who stayed away and got 1st and 2nd, well done to them, a great proformance. Nothing left in the legs for the gallop after Wicklow 200 at the weekend but really enjoyed the night. Well done to Joe and all the Marshalls, race went off without a hitch as far as i Know.

I was in Grp 2, we worked well, but not as well as we might, I was a bit demoralised when ye caught us as I thought it was everyone. Once I realised it was just 2A, call it Grp 3 ;), I knew the lot of us had a shot at some points. Thought we worked well and kept the pace honest and coming into the Gallop there were maybe 8-10 of us left. Managed to nab 5th or 6th in that sprint for 7th or 8th on the night. Made an absolute bags of the sprint, but was a really good nights racing, felt strong, raced hard and I think we got a shot at our just desserts at the end. I thought the 5k climbing from the Boards Evil 200 and my spin on Monday stood me in good stead, but I had an off day on Sun and Tues which gave me good recovery.

Fair play to the 2 lads from Grp 1 who stayed away, from the time calls on the way round it sounds like they were out on their own for a long while and we weren't exactly hanging about in the chase, a well deserved win methinks.

http://app.strava.com/activities/10750692

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

This might be a stupid question - can non club members race by any chance?

Turned up, did a nice long warm up, found they were short of marshalls, and jumped at the opportunity...

Ended up on the most difficult junction on the circuit - the T-Junction onto the Balbriggan/Naul Road

First lap, Group 1 had split into 3 with another couple of stragglers - 2 riders were getting on for 2 minutes clear of the rest

Second lap they had increased their lead over the remnants on Group 1 to nearly 3 minutes, with (the first) Group 2 another five of minutes back

Next time round the 2 of them were still 3 minutes clear, with Group 2 a couple of minutes back. However a bit of panic set in when an ambulance came in the other direction, blue lights flashing. A car stopped to let it past and I had to frantically wave it on as one of the groups was approaching the junction (and likely to be coming into the path of the overtaking ambulance) - a few warning shouts to the group and panic over

Fourth lap it was the 2 leaders, then 3 minutes 15 to combined Groups 1 and 2 with Group 2A 15s further behind

Groups 3 and 4 had combined, but I didn't get a split as just as they were approaching the corner the ambulance was coming back from Balbriggan, again blue lights flashing, so I had to hurry it along before the racers hit the junction

Final time round the two Group 1 riders came past - I shouted to them they had a 3 minute advantage last time round - speaking to the winner afterwards this spurred them on. Their lead had actually reduced to just over a minute but the held the combined Groups 1 and 2 at bay, with 3/4/scratch coming in shortly after

Brilliant performance from the first 2 - that should be the last time they represent the limit group though...

IMO Group 2 remains far too strong (and large), with a number of riders perfectly capable of riding in Group 3 (certainly if I'm considered good enough for that group). They probably should try and even up numbers in Groups 2, 3 and 4 with a few moving up from 3 to 4 also (in some cases allowing riders to return to groups they should never have dropped back from in the first place;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

So that means i was in group 4,well done to the boys for stayin away from group 1
    we were caught by scratch but we never seen group 2,just sayin some big strong lads in that group 2 may be joe should have another look at it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Turned up, did a nice long warm up, found they were short of marshalls, and jumped at the opportunity...

Ended up on the most difficult junction on the circuit - the T-Junction onto the Balbriggan/Naul Road

First lap, Group 1 had split into 3 with another couple of stragglers - 2 riders were getting on for 2 minutes clear of the rest

Second lap they had increased their lead over the remnants on Group 1 to nearly 3 minutes, with (the first) Group 2 another five of minutes back

Next time round the 2 of them were still 3 minutes clear, with Group 2 a couple of minutes back. However a bit of panic set in when an ambulance came in the other direction, blue lights flashing. A car stopped to let it past and I had to frantically wave it on as one of the groups was approaching the junction (and likely to be coming into the path of the overtaking ambulance) - a few warning shouts to the group and panic over

Fourth lap it was the 2 leaders, then 3 minutes 15 to combined Groups 1 and 2 with Group 2A 15s further behind

Groups 3 and 4 had combined, but I didn't get a split as just as they were approaching the corner the ambulance was coming back from Balbriggan, again blue lights flashing, so I had to hurry it along before the racers hit the junction

Final time round the two Group 1 riders came past - I shouted to them they had a 3 minute advantage last time round - speaking to the winner afterwards this spurred them on. Their lead had actually reduced to just over a minute but the held the combined Groups 1 and 2 at bay, with 3/4/scratch coming in shortly after

Brilliant performance from the first 2 - that should be the last time they represent the limit group though...

IMO Group 2 remains far too strong (and large), with a number of riders perfectly capable of riding in Group 3 (certainly if I'm considered good enough for that group). They probably should try and even up numbers in Groups 2, 3 and 4 with a few moving up from 3 to 4 also (in some cases allowing riders to return to groups they should never have dropped back from in the first place;))

The range of ability in Grp 2 is very wide imo. But the step up from Grp 2 to Grp 3 also seems quite big. Yourself and Luskdoyle ride Grp 3, and I would be at the stronger end of Grp 2, imo, and between you you put 90 secs and 2 mins into me in last weeks TT. Luskdoyle is also a minute quicker than me up the Nags Head. This makes me think I would struggle to live with a move up.

Inquitus wrote: »
    The range of ability in Grp 2 is very wide imo. But the step up from Grp 2 to Grp 3 also seems quite big. Yourself and Luskdoyle ride Grp 3, and I would be at the stronger end of Grp 2, imo, and between you you put 90 secs and 2 mins into me in last weeks TT. Luskdoyle is also a minute quicker than me up the Nags Head. This makes me think I would struggle to live with a move up.
    The best way to improve is to challenge yourself,riding with people faster than you is one way to do that i know im going to drop back a group at some stage and see how i get on

So that means i was in group 4,well done to the boys for stayin away from group 1
    we were caught by scratch but we never seen group 2,just sayin some big strong lads in that group 2 may be joe should have another look at it :rolleyes:

Ah sure the "little" lads will have their day on the Nags head next week

Group 2 is too big with some who should be in 1 and some in 3.
    Tonight was in group which got involved with a bit of bother with a artic truck which stopped up 3-5 times on the first lap. Frustrating but the first 2 were already away by then. cost us 2 minutes at least though and any momentum we had going was lost for a bit...
    Same truck driver who promised to cause trouble a few weeks ago......

The winner is a rider who never misses a turn no matter what froup he is in and no matter how he feels. He'd ride at 100% and get dropped rather than sit on.

I have to say I was really pleased to see him win as i know he's dragged many previous winners around only for them to suddenly find the energy to sprint after being too tored to manage a turn all night....

Took the two up sprint by about 10 lenghts as well :D

Ah sure the "little" lads will have their day on the Nags head next week
    Club championship next week so MS pain fest for all

• Advertisement

Club championship next week so MS pain fest for all
    Killalanerr, how's the Club Champs race arranged? Is it a different format than the other races?

Inquitus wrote: »
    You can't go on TTs though - it's a very different type of riding and the equipment does make quite a difference

I know a couple of riders who are in the group ahead of me in the vets, and the group behind me in the Swords League, and they are not the strongest in Group 2!

In your case, it's your first year racing. You are doing remarkably well, but you would not be one of those I would automatically put up to Group 3 (not yet anyway;)). I suspect there are a number of riders who have "dropped themselves" down to from Group 3 who are perfectly capable of holding their own in that Group most weeks. I've been dropped in 2 of the 3 races I've done in Group 3 (only hung on the first time on the BOTR). I'll persevere though - maybe I'll miss a few turns next time in the hope I'll be able to hang on (and I certainly won't be the only one doing that)

Killalanerr, how's the Club Champs race arranged? Is it a different format than the other races?
    2 separate races - "A", which last year comprised Groups 3, 4 and scratch, and "B" - Groups 1 and 2

A race is 3 laps, and B race 2 laps. No visitors are allowed to race this one (but are encouraged to marshall it)

I'm hoping they have a bit of sympathy and put at least some of us from Group 3 into the B race, as there's no way I'll hang onto the A Group even the first time up the Nags Head

afaik group 1and2 make up the B race with the rest of the groups making the up the A race both races are mass starts
    ^^ to slow what he said^^

2 separate races - "A", which last year comprised Groups 3, 4 and scratch, and "B" - Groups 1 and 2

A race is 3 laps, and B race 2 laps. No visitors are allowed to race this one (but are encouraged to marshall it)

I'm hoping they have a bit of sympathy and put at least some of us from Group 3 into the B race, as there's no way I'll hang onto the A Group even the first time up the Nags Head

Looking forward to it, thank god for a change I won't have to be thinking of groups ahead or groups behind, just the one I'm in.

afaik group 1and2 make up the B race with the rest of the groups making the up the A race both races are mass starts
    ^^ to slow what he said^^

The champs race is a mass start one with a consolation (non championship) B race for the fred's and mere mortals among us.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Group 3 was a mess last night , up and overs turned didnt fully work or turned into 4 across the road , entire group stretched out in a long line for a lot of race. Few of us tried to get them working but no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The combined Group 4 and 5 was a bit messy with proper up and overs only appearing intermittently. Having said that, I don't think people were sitting on while feeling good. I felt stronger than I have for a while and did my bit for the most part.

Roll on the club champs where I suspect we will have to get an extra long plate for the trophy to accommodate the name of this year's winner. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Enjoyed the race and got a great workout.
    Hats off to Pat Halpin for making grp 2a work so freakin' hard!!!!
    Thought we worked well together although you always get a few 'fresh faces' appear from the back of the group approaching the final lap.
    Myself,, I went too early to sprint for a place and blew up towards to top of the final 'climb'.. Like to think the few that passed me had a good 'lead out' though!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I think I'm going to have to downgrade from G4 to G3 from now on. I barely hung on to the combined G4/Scratch all the way around and nearly dropped a number of times expecially on the last two laps. I'm just not doing enough outside the league racing to be able to retain the speed and power. Also getting a bit hacked off that G4 is combined with scratch a lot of the time and yet G2 has to be split in 2. It's not up to Joe to sort it out it's up to the riders to push themselves by upgrading.

Roll on the club champs where I suspect we will have to get an extra long plate for the trophy to accommodate the name of this year's winner. ;)
    LOL :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement