Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duane Delaney Track Meet - 2nd June

Options
  • 22-05-2012 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Am posting about this as so many people have shown an interest in track racing etc.

Details are here: Track Meet

I think this is a good intro to track racing, with four different events run through the day, allowing newbies to get a feel for both group racing and time trial events.

All the details are above, obviously track accreditation is a must.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

im gonna check my calender. Hopefully ill be able to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

for anyone new- I dont see any accreditation sessions in the calender before that weekend, if you have one but no training sessions or league racing done you'll need to do some before the Duane Delaney, there is a C section but you still need a few days of previous track experience to race that weekend.

the mile race is a new feature this year replacing the points race.

also, it should be a fun day for spectators, weather is looking good

this is on tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I'm planning on doing this, I've not done any racing, but have been accredited and done a few training sessions. What should I expect?! Obviously know what the 200 and 500 have in store, but the Scratch race will be a new one for me. How many people will be in this? I've plenty of experience racing in groups on the road, but none on the track, does it differ hugely? And how many laps in the scratch race?

• Advertisement

I'm planning on doing this, I've not done any racing, but have been accredited and done a few training sessions. What should I expect?! Obviously know what the 200 and 500 have in store, but the Scratch race will be a new one for me. How many people will be in this? I've plenty of experience racing in groups on the road, but none on the track, does it differ hugely? And how many laps in the scratch race?
    you should be fine. it depends on the turnout, scratch could have 20, not really sure but if anyone gets dropped early they are instructed to come out of the race.

the difference between road and track is that you have to be extra careful and aware of your surroundings at all times as theres no brakes to stop you, no sudden movements ie dont turn suddenly without checking behind first and having plenty of room, keep your line straight. it can be very bunched at times and with no brakes concentration needs to be very high.

you should be fine. it depends on the turnout, scratch could have 20, not really sure but if anyone gets dropped early they are instructed to come out of the race.

the difference between road and track is that you have to be extra careful and aware of your surroundings at all times as theres no brakes to stop you, no sudden movements ie dont turn suddenly without checking behind first and having plenty of room, keep your line straight. it can be very bunched at times and with no brakes concentration needs to be very high.

Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to it, should be fun.

sorry just reread that, its best to check first when signing on. it was discussed during the last track commission meeting that only experienced riders could ride at this event. you might have had to have done a few league races too. recently accredited riders(the past couple of weeks) wont be allowed enter unless they have raced overseas in track events, or managed to do a few league race nights in the past few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thought I'd update this since I started it.

Today was a great day all around I think. Good to see so many people out and so many doing so well. Atmosphere was very positive and weather was good for most of the day. Some very fast times posted across all the categories and strong results too.

Unfortunately the weather turned and only some of us got to do our 500TT, hopefully people weren't too frustrated by this.

Hope everyone who went had a good time, wether spectating or racing. See you there again next year.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Congratulations to dave_o_brien on his second place in the C Group - a promotion to the B group in the league beckons methinks. Also well done to kumate_champ07 for his solo victory in one of the mile dash races

Unfortunately there were no prizes for the flashest bike...

I turned up wanting to experiment with the new bike (1st time I've ridden it), and in particular the gearing for the 200m and 500m TT. It was also my first track racing of the year.

I had planned to go iwith a high gear in the 200 (96.4 inches), but the wind was stronger than I expected so I ended up going with 93.6 inches. As it turned out I did feel I could have gone a bit higher, and I was a little disappointed with a time of 14.53s

In the scratch race I came in about half-way (I reckon 9th, although I was officially given 10th out of about 20 in the group). The 1 mile dash was broken down into 2 races in our group and after a promising start kumate made his break. I ended up at the back of the bunch and knowing I wasn't going to do anything I eased off a bit and trundled in last, saving myself for the 500m - unfortunatley only the first 5 in each group managed to do the 500. There's another on in Wednesday's track league which I hope to give a go

All in all an excellent event, well organised with getting on for 60 riders turning up, It's a shame the weather intervened but at least it was possible for the leaders to complete their events which enabled the results to be posted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i didnt make it. life getting in the way of cycling again.

Beasty wrote: »
    Congratulations to dave_o_brien on his second place in the C Group - a promotion to the B group in the league beckons methinks. Also well done to kumate_champ07 for his solo victory in one of the mile dash races

I'll second that,.

Beasty wrote: »
    I had planned to go iwith a high gear in the 200 (96.4 inches), but the wind was stronger than I expected so I ended up going with 93.6 inches. As it turned out I did feel I could have gone a bit higher, and I was a little disappointed with a time of 14.53s

I think the wind eased off after we were all warming up.
    lennymc wrote: »
    i didnt make it. life getting in the way of cycling again.

You should come down to a few more Saturday training sessions. We've been doing mock races or hard intervals for a few weeks now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think the wind eased off after we were all warming up.
    It was a bit deceptive, changing direction and it was blustery on occasions. I also think it was blowing in a bit more on the home straight than in the track centre. My theory is that when the wind is from a NE direction it funnels a bit near the entrance gate and onto the track

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Sometimes its nice to know who the guys are the races are named after. Duane i guess would be 42 if he was alive today. He ws a Raven and loved the bike but his major handicap was asthma. He suffered with the breathing on the bike and had a hard time of it in the damp irish weather. He moved to oz and immediately the weather there had a very positive effect on the airways. He raced with a club Carnegie Caulfield and got a few wins on the track and road. He was going to a race when a juggernaut ran over him. He was alive for a week but died shortly after his family made it out.

Anyway he was great guy always laughing and tryin his vvery best he would have loved to have been among youse today. Well done to all of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

morana wrote: »
    Sometimes its nice to know who the guys are the races are named after. Duane i guess would be 42 if he was alive today. He ws a Raven and loved the bike but his major handicap was asthma. He suffered with the breathing on the bike and had a hard time of it in the damp irish weather. He moved to oz and immediately the weather there had a very positive effect on the airways. He raced with a club Carnegie Caulfield and got a few wins on the track and road. He was going to a race when a juggernaut ran over him. He was alive for a week but died shortly after his family made it out.

Anyway he was great guy always laughing and tryin his vvery best he would have loved to have been among youse today. Well done to all of you.

Knew Duane and he always had a broad smile on his face. A big loss but at least his name lives on and so many ride in his honour.

Good to get some background on the race's origin. Makes it more meaningful.

I'd also like to say that the Track Commission guys did a huge amount of work as usual, meaning some of them couldn't race which I'm sure they would have liked to (AFAIK there aren't many chances to do a 200).

As a first timer trackie, I have to say it was a great day. It reminded me of going to Santry in school, a whole day of watching, participating and supporting a really friendly group of people. Big thanks to Harrybelafonte and Beasty for their advice through the day, it was a big help. That solo win in the mile dash by Kumate_Champ was seriously impressive, easily the most convincing win of the day, congratulations!

On a personal note, I really enjoyed the track events, but towards the end of the day started to notice my limited training miles in the legs. I tied up in the mile dash on the last lap and hadn't a huge amount left for the 500, so I know I need to start putting in some miles again. Come Wednesday, I'll officially be an Architectural Graduate, and by extension will be time rich!

(As a side note, if anyone here is planning a building job, I'm more than likely available, just pm me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Sounds good lads, any results/times for this?

00833827 wrote: »
    Sounds good lads, any results/times for this?

Probably a few days. They'll be up on trackcycling.ie

It's great to finally find out who Duane Delaney actually is! It was a very nice relaxed/friendly atmosphere yesterday.

I was very happy with my mile win tho it probably didnt show, I messed up my 200m at the beginning, that was going to be my best of the day since it's what I was training for mostly but at least I know what went wrong. being late for the event didnt help.
    I
    Left the final bend at 51 km/h, on wednesday at the league sprint final I was doing 61km/h at that point. wrong gear, wrong line, wrong speed!

I forgot to swap back the garmin to my race bike from my trainer for the mile rice so unfortunately have no data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Does anyone know if there was any photos taken at this ?

Junior wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there was any photos taken at this ?

Didn't see any photos taken tbh, except for at the award ceremony at the end.

Results are now up on trackcycling.ie

Not everyone got to do a 500tt hence all the empty boxes. There were more who did the 500 in the Cs as there were four people drawn on points at fifth.

May as well do my own run down of the day.

Though my 200 time was a lot better than last year I'm still a little disappointed by it. I misjudged my start, which I had chosen because of the stronger breeze earlier on warm up and was at my 100% too early.

The scratch race was the worst result I've had this year as far as I remember. It started very, very quickly and even thouh some tried to slow it up when out front by the second last lap I was dawned. Then the sprint happened and I fell further back. My biggest mistake was easing up at this point forgetting that each place cost me more points, if I'd pushed a little I could have made up two places. Tis the longest scratch I've done.

I was happy with my second in the me dash as it was unexpected. I was held off quite easily by the winner but considering his time in the 500, I can live with the result.

I was exhausted by the 500. My time was ok, a three second improvement from last year, but again I had hopes to do a little better. I also think my gearing should have been lower for it rather than the 49x15 I ran everything else at. I'll get a chance to do another one in the league so I can try again.

In reality it's all good news as it's all improvement.

Advertisement