Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newborn wont settle

Options
  • 22-05-2012 12:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

my little girl(1 month) finds it very hard to settle in any form of cot - as in her moses basket or the co-sleeper, even the pram. she grunts and moans a lot. last night for instance, i fed her at 12am and put her in the co sleeper and for the next 3hrs every time i was about to nod off she'd start the grunt and throwing herself around the bed. its not the worst during the day as we're not trying to sleep but its gets a bit much in the middle of the night. we think it might be down to constipation. the noises can sound like shes straining to push and she tenses up at the same time but for the last 2 weeks shes maybe pooed once every 2 days.

anyone have sim issues? is there something we can give her to loosen the stools? or something to help her settle/

for the last 2 weeks my wife and i are in different rooms at night and taking the feeding in shifts so as to not disturb the other too much with all the grunting etc.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hi, my Son was a bad settler when he was a newborn, he would make those grunting and straining noises at night.. along with ferocious colic during the day :(

I took him for Cranial Osteopathy sessions for the colic when he was 4 weeks old and the straining and grunting noises seemed to leave him after that and the colic really eased off for him :)

I'm always raving about this treatment in here but I really can't recommend it enough.. my Son has been such a happy and content child since going to her.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My 14 week old was exactly like this for first 10 weeks. Lots of qns for ya - breast of formulas fed? Poop really soft or hard at all? If formula fed which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP, I have two girls ( 9 MO and 6 YO ) , both were very noisy sleepers , always grunting and groaning /snuffling and so on.

I think all little ones are just noisy sleepers , added to that you are alert for them as well

Could be just she is just a noisy sleeper ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

dublinlady wrote: »
    My 14 week old was exactly like this for first 10 weeks. Lots of qns for ya - breast of formulas fed? Poop really soft or hard at all? If formula fed which one.

Tried the breast but she wouldnt take it. on cow and gate infant formula. poos are very loose and light brown when she does do one.

Syllabus wrote: »

Tried the breast but she wouldnt take it. on cow and gate infant formula. poos are very loose and light brown when she does do one.

I started using formula at 11-12 weeks and found the aptamil comfort best - she struggles with farts and so the grunting...!! Such a lady! She's much quieter now - but to be honest is still quite a noisy sleeper!! Id say Asa result we will put her in own room at 18-20 weeks
    The reason I asked about breast feeding is that my ladies wind was worse depending on what I ate!
    Her poo sounds normal so prob not constipation - possibly just wind. I think there's a certain element of them having to grow out of digestive issues which is no help when ur I the situation! And again she may just be noisy ... Ours was def wind related tho!! We tried cow and gate and sma before the aptamil comfort!

• Advertisement

Syllabus wrote: »

Pfq

I started using formula at 11-12 weeks and found the aptamil comfort best - she struggles with farts and so the grunting...!! Such a lady! She's much quieter now - but to be honest is still quite a noisy sleeper!! Id say Asa result we will put her in own room at 18-20 weeks
    The reason I asked about breast feeding is that my ladies wind was worse depending on what I ate!
    Her poo sounds normal so prob not constipation - possibly just wind. I think there's a certain element of them having to grow out of digestive issues which is no help when ur I the situation! And again she may just be noisy ... Ours was def wind related tho!! We tried cow and gate and sma before the aptamil comfort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I personally think that new borns are noisy little feckers when they are sleeping, I remember my little fella when he was new born I just couldn't believe how noisy he was I thought the saying sleeping like a baby implied they where quiet lol the grunting was so funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

If her poos are loose she's not constipated.. just may have a bit of wind that annoys her when lying down, my lad is 7 months and still when he has wind he makes a shocking amount of noise in his sleep.. and does a little dance,we discovered it was fruit giving him wind. Every 2 days sounds normal for poos too... my 2 year old went maybe once a week to 10 days when he was breastfed..now it's maybe 2 - 4 times a day :O

She's still very young and may not have control over her limbs yet and maybe experiencing the startle reflex ... if you try to swaddle her it might lessen the throwing around thing. My lads never settled on their backs right from the minute they were born.. always on their sides swaddled nice and snug

have a look here, is this what's happening??;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ4rIR27WZ0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Although a newbie at this parenting lark, it sounds like wind to me too. might be worth trying a different formula and spending a bit longer at burping, we also used gripe water if she was very unsettled (which i believe is out of parenting fashion in Ireland these days, and hard to come by, but I do think it helped a bit). Our little one got bored of sleeping on her back very quickly and once we flipped her over ;) she was fine sleeping for long stretches.

They like the comfort of cuddling up with mum / dad and takes them a while to get used to being on their own, so it might be worth your while persevering with it and hope she works it out for herself. Good luck.

growler wrote: »
    Although a newbie at this parenting lark, it sounds like wind to me too. might be worth trying a different formula and spending a bit longer at burping, we also used gripe water if she was very unsettled (which i believe is out of parenting fashion in Ireland these days, and hard to come by, but I do think it helped a bit). Our little one got bored of sleeping on her back very quickly and once we flipped her over ;) she was fine sleeping for long stretches.

They like the comfort of cuddling up with mum / dad and takes them a while to get used to being on their own,
    so it might be worth your while persevering with it and hope she works it out for herself. Good luck.

Quick stupid qn.. Do u put them on side with something to prop them or on their bellies? Just asking cos I want to try it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's definitely not advisable to put your baby on their side or tummy when sleeping as its a major SIDS risk.

Babies when they start rolling may roll onto thir tummies but they are able to roll back again. It's a different matter placing a baby on their tummy if they can't move themselves.

Here's a linkie with more information
    http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-is-it-safe-to-let-my-baby-sleep-on-his-tummy_1368446.bc

It's definitely not advisable to put your baby on their side or tummy when sleeping as its a major SIDS risk.

Babies when they start rolling may roll onto thir tummies but they are able to roll back again. It's a different matter placing a baby on their tummy if they can't move themselves.

Here's a linkie with more information
    http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-is-it-safe-to-let-my-baby-sleep-on-his-tummy_1368446.bc

Thanks - knew I wasn't doing it for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

We found our little one after having similiar discomfort for a few weeks around the 1 month old (that grunting, trapped wind, then farting / constipation / random runs, colicky behaviour) got instant relief when we put her on the SMA lactose free formula (doc had said might be temporary intolerance, had advised a chemist bought formula but I don't see a difference). We had done the infacol, lactease, switching feeders etc. but decided to give it a try and it was like day and night. She slept through until recently she hit those 4 month funnies (she's approaching mths now and that too seems to be passing) :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

we changed to the comfort formula today and the tensing up has really decreased. i do think that the heat the last 2 weeks has affected her too though

also the missus bought a swaddle blanket this morning which REALLY appears to be working. most of the unsettledness was down to her mooching and waking herself up. she slept nearly 4hrs for the first time after we used the blanket

Advertisement