Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3gs "No Service" after update.

Options
  • 13-05-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I bought a 3gs over a year ago that was locked to 02, i got it carrier unlocked with them and have been using a meteor sim ever since. I updated to 5.1.1 during the week, in the last 24 hours the phone constantly says "no service" and wont get any signal. i've tried restoring it, and used two different sim cards on other networks still wont get any network reception.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Are you sure it was carrier unlocked and not software

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sampras

guil wrote: »
    Are you sure it was carrier unlocked and not software

Well the unlock had to be activated through iTunes when it went through.

That's strange. Try restoring it as a new phone in iTunes although I don't think it will make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭mihau

Check you Modem Firmware Version.
    If it says 6.15.00 the it means that your iPhone was actually software unlocked rather than factory unlocked.
    If you have 6.15.00 you need to reflash your baseband.

If the baseband was 06.15.00 then the restore in iTunes would of failed

• Advertisement

It was definitely done through iTunes. The modem firmware is 05.16.05, I tried restoring it through iTunes but its still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

sampras wrote: »
    It was definitely done through iTunes. The modem firmware is 05.16.05, I tried restoring it through iTunes but its still the same.
    I see in your first post that you have tried 2 other SIM cards. Was one of them o2 ?

Yes I've tried an 02 and Vodafone sim card, still no avail. Tried restoring as a new iPhone again and it's still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Apple96

Hi guys I also have the same problem. I have an iPhone 3GS with 5.16.05 baseband and just updated to 5.1.1 . When 5.1 was installed, I had no issues with my carrier signal. When I updated it, I restored from a backup and this problem occurred. I tried different things, like removing the SIM and entering another one. But I realized that when I turned the 3G on, then airplane mode OFF and then ON the signal worked. It just works with the 3G on but again, not able to make calls. I also tried restoring it and setting it up as a new iPhone but it's still the same.

The iPhone is unlocked. I think it's an iOS 5.1.1 bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

youve probabaly tried most of these but one or 2 are unusual so heres the link

http://thedesignspace.net/MT2archives/000753.html

Cheers
    Shin

• Advertisement

Indeed, I have tried all of these ways, except for the one with the scotch tape which is for boosting the signal as I read on other forums, not fixing it. Anyways, thanks for the post. I will keep restoring my iPhone to see if it finally works. I hope it's just a 5.1.1 bug that they will fix in future updates.

Well, guess what guys. Today I downgraded my iPhone 3GS to 4.1 and again, "No Service" and "Searching..." issue. Well as I read on an Apple forum, a guy had the same issue with his iPhone, went to the Apple Genius Bar and they gave him a brand new iPhone. The reason? They told him that iOS 5.1.1 corrupted his SIM and the internal antenna of the iPhone. I am going to an iPhone Service this week and I hope they can fix this.

Apple96 wrote: »
    Well, guess what guys. Today I downgraded my iPhone 3GS to 4.1 and again, "No Service" and "Searching..." issue. Well as I read on an Apple forum, a guy had the same issue with his iPhone, went to the Apple Genius Bar and they gave him a brand new iPhone. The reason? They told him that iOS 5.1.1 corrupted his SIM and the internal antenna of the iPhone. I am going to an iPhone Service this week and I hope they can fix this.
    Let me know how you get on.

Okay, so I went to the iPhone Service yesterday and they told me that they would take a look at it. After a while, they called me at home and told me that somehow the antenna was totally corrupted. They pointed out that, if I wanted them to fix it, it would cost me 75 euros (about 94$). Well, I thought about it and I told them to fix it. My iPhone is now fixed. I suggest you visit an iPhone Service and let them take a look at your iPhone.

So i looked up on google about the antenna problem you had. I saw a few videos on youtube showing how to fix it. All it is, is where the ribbon connector between the antenna and the motherboard comes loose due to dropping the phone. So i decided to open up my phone, and lo and behold the connector was off, it was just a matter of popping it back on. So now i have my iPhone back and saved myself a few euros. :)

Nice, but mine didn't have the same issue as yours. There were some very small parts missing because I accidentally dropped it some days ago. These parts were connected to the motherboard and were essential for antenna reception. In order for my iPhone to work again, they had to replace the missing parts with new parts. So that's why I paid that much.

Advertisement