Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 2.30 Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

good man best of luck. Keep the diet clean and get out the door most days for a run and sub 40 will be no bother to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

The 'glory days' as they were are long gone! I think racing properly on the track again is a distant dream. I will settle for being in good general shape and enjoying my running again.

Well if you get down to sub 40 for 10k, you'd be in better shape than close to half the people at AV Shield meets. Track in Melbourne is not the same as track in Ireland. It's a lot more inclusive, and regardless of what level you are at you can run in a competitive race against people of or near your own ability. There's elites at these meets of course, but there's also people like myself. :) Plus it's a lot of fun which is the main thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Monday 2nd
    Gym - 30 mins hard on the bike, 30 mins on the cross trainer. Stretching & light weights.

Tuesday 3rd
    As above.

Wednesday 4th
    11k in about 55 mins. Legs fine after after Sunday.

Aerobic work in the gym bores me but it is non impact and therefore a necessary evil until I am lighter. Getting out on the road 6 times a week would almost certainly lead to injury.

Friday 6th
    Thursday was a designated rest day with a trip to see the Rebels in the Super 15 and a few rubbish Australian beers afterwards. Friday was another 11k run in about 55 mins. I made a conscious decision to stop and stretch for a minute around half way as I was in a rythm and starting to run too fast. I need to get it into my stupid brain that this is a weight loss log for the time being, not a training log. Drop the weight first, push the pace later. 5 minute k's is fine for the time being.

Sat 7th
    Gym day. 30 bike, 35 cross trainer, stretching, weights etc etc.

Sun 8th
    11k in 56. Lovely morning for it. I usually run at night so a nice change. Was tough to get out of bed after staying up until 4.30am watching Leinster be the best team in Europe.

This week is a good fit for me. 3 impact day, 3 non impact and a rest day. It is the template for the next 3 weeks I think if I can continue to deal with the boredom of the stationary stuff in the gym.

Mon 9th

10km, forgot to start my watch.

Not a good day. Some days will be like this. Note to self: do not wear a running jacket because it is colder than normal. Remember that you live in Melbourne. Idiot.

• Advertisement

Mon 9th

10km, forgot to start my watch.

Not a good day. Some days will be like this. Note to self: do not wear a running jacket because it is colder than normal. Remember that you live in Melbourne. Idiot.

Have you ran around the Tan yet? Pretty good spot to go running.

04072511 wrote: »
    Have you ran around the Tan yet? Pretty good spot to go running.

It's the central part of the couple of routes I do. I live in Southbank so I have a route to the tan then 2/3 laps there and a route home. It's a great spot alright. Makes me think they could put a similar loop around Stephens Green.

Tues 10th
    Standard gym day

Wed 11th
    Gym. Ticked up a level on both machines today which I have been doing every 8-10 days. it's becoming a really decent work out and today felt good.

Thurs 12th

Strange one. I've being doing runs with a mate from work sporadically. It definately helped to get me out at the start even though he was infinately fitter than me. Today he wanted to do a 'quick' lap of the Tan (measured trail of 3.8km around a park in the city here) so I ran over there and met him. We did a warm up lap (18 mins) and then had a stretch. Joe used to run away from me on all the runs so he wasn't too happy today when I eased away from him on the steep uphill part of our 'quick lap' and moved on to finish in a shade over 16 minutes, about 2 mins ahead of him.

It's meaningless and i would have been better off running a nice slow 12k today but screw it: beating your mates is fun sometimes. This should also result in half the other guys in the office who fancy themselves as being fit wanting to take on the fat bloke.

Fri 13th
    10k in 47 mins. Nice, comfortable trot. Melbourne a joy to run around on nights like this.

Sun 15
    Saturday rest day. Got the standard bike work in the gym this morning but all other machines were in use so went outside for a slow 6k run afterwards. A decent week of training, a couple more of these in a row would be nice. All the excitement about marathons at the moment has me looking about for potential races for later in the year.

Mon-Thurs 16th-19th
    Gym all 4 days. Up to a good level now. 40 minute bike, 30 cross trainer then weights/exercises. Boring but effective. did 4 gym days in a row for no reason other than me losing track of days.

Fri 20th
    10k in 50 mins

Sun 22nd
    Saturday rest even though I had planned to get out running. 10k in about 50 mins again today.

Feel my boring training log is a bit out of place in the middle of all the marathon excitement at the moment. Reading some of the reports, especially Krustys, has me looking ahead towards a potential marathon. Melbourne marathon in mid October looks a reasonable long term aim with a view to going sub 3.30 at least. There is a half marathon on the same day so that can be a back up.

• Advertisement

Feel my boring training log is a bit out of place in the middle of all the marathon excitement at the moment. Reading some of the reports, especially Krustys, has me looking ahead towards a potential marathon. Melbourne marathon in mid October looks a reasonable long term aim with a view to going sub 3.30 at least. There is a half marathon on the same day so that can be a back up.

Given your history in the sport, providing you get yourself back into proper shape, surely you could target faster than that no?

Given your history in the sport, providing you get yourself back into proper shape, surely you could target faster than that no?

I'm being reasonable and realistic. At the end of the day, 10/12 weeks ago, I was an 18 stone mess. I'm still an overweight person and the guts of 4 stone heavier than my racing weight. It's just a matter of train and lose weight at the moment. I'll see how I'm going in 3 months time. I could probably start back today putting in way more miles at a quicker pace with a view to running as fast as possible but that would end in injury. If I ever get to the point where I am fit enough to train hard again, I will look at goals. One thing I would love to do is lower some PB's on the track, that is literally years away though.

I'm being reasonable and realistic. At the end of the day, 10/12 weeks ago, I was an 18 stone mess. I'm still an overweight person and the guts of 4 stone heavier than my racing weight. It's just a matter of train and lose weight at the moment. I'll see how I'm going in 3 months time. I could probably start back today putting in way more miles at a quicker pace with a view to running as fast as possible but that would end in injury. If I ever get to the point where I am fit enough to train hard again, I will look at goals. One thing I would love to do is lower some PB's on the track, that is literally years away though.

Yeh you're right. Do is right, rather than a quick fix.

What are your track PBs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The short spring marathon season is all but over now, so everyone's logs will return to '5 mile recovery run', drudge from now on. 3:30 in October would be a great goal for overall aerobic fitness and set you up nicely for your real targets.

What are your track PBs?

3.56 for 1500
    8.35 for 3k
    15.12 for 5k

First two when I was 19, 5k time was a solo run around the Leinster Schools champs when I was a 6th year so literally 'old school'! All annoy me. My last track season, I opened with that 8.35 in April, ran the 3.56 a week or two later and was disgusted. Then dislocated my knee 3 days later. Never ran on the track again.

The short spring marathon season is all but over now, so everyone's logs will return to '5 mile recovery run', drudge from now on. 3:30 in October would be a great goal for overall aerobic fitness and set you up nicely for your real targets.

Yeah, that's the exact plan. I figure if i am in a place where I could solo around a 3.30 marathon in 6 months time then I would be in shape to start training at a higher level.

Great running in Boston by the way. I mean that. I know that feeling of unfulfillment well. I think I could sense it in your report. In some ways it is easier to have failed miserably as you can then be angry with yourself. Getting blocked by outside considerations is just frustration. You will look back at the run in the future and think 'f*ck me, I'm pretty proud of that performance' though. Probably when you run a big PB next time out.

3.56 for 1500
    8.35 for 3k
    15.12 for 5k

First two when I was 19, 5k time was a solo run around the Leinster Schools champs when I was a 6th year so literally 'old school'! All annoy me. My last track season, I opened with that 8.35 in April, ran the 3.56 a week or two later and was disgusted. Then dislocated my knee 3 days later. Never ran on the track again.

Why were you disgusted with the 1500m? I would have thought a 3:56 to be a better run than a 8:35.

Nice targets to have anyway. Would be some going to get back to that level. No reason why you can't. Probably way too early for you but there's a hell of a lot of good graded competition in Melbourne in the AV Shield and Vic Milers Club.

Why were you disgusted with the 1500m? I would have thought a 3:56 to be a better run than a 8:35.

Nice targets to have anyway. Would be some going to get back to that level. No reason why you can't. Probably way too early for you but there's a hell of a lot of good graded competition in Melbourne in the AV Shield and Vic Milers Club.

Maybe the 3.56 is higher on the IAAF tables but I think the 3k is slightly better. Anyway, think I was in a block of hard training when I ran the 3k, It was a season opener too. For the 1500, I was in at least 3.50 shape and just did not get it done on the day. We are talking 9 years ago now though. Any potential i may have left is almost certainly going to be over longer distances.

Maybe the 3.56 is higher on the IAAF tables but I think the 3k is slightly better. Anyway, think I was in a block of hard training when I ran the 3k, It was a season opener too. For the 1500, I was in at least 3.50 shape and just did not get it done on the day. We are talking 9 years ago now though. Any potential i may have left is almost certainly going to be over longer distances.

The Zatopek 10000m at the end of the year could be a good goal. They have graded 10000m races for it, not just the main race. You could surprise yourself.

Tues 24th
    10k in 45 mins.

Played golf and Monday and ended up not getting out afterwards so that's the rest day for the week! A very nice run tonight. The weather was perfect; cool and raining. Even at a slow pace, my form is beginning to get better which is a positive sign. Also need to invest in some smaller sized clothes both for running and for general life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

3.56 for 1500
    8.35 for 3k
    15.12 for 5k

Savage times.
    We are talking 9 years ago now though. Any potential i may have left is almost certainly going to be over longer distances.

True but I wouldn't totally discount running fast times over 5k again. Might take a couple of years but you definitely seem to be going in the right direction. I had a good laugh at one of your earlier posts about running with the lads in work and how they were a bit stunned with being dropped by the "fat lad". I've been there before myself, and there is nothing that gave me more pleasure, just goes to show that the base you have from your childhood and an obvious whallop of talent are still there. Keep her lit

Keep her lit

Nicely.

Well done in London. It was a great marathon to be part of I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you're already running 10k in 45 minutes in training, then your journey to a 3:30 marathon (or better) should be pretty straightforward. I was running 10k in around the same time, when I ran my first marathon in 3:25. I did run 5 x 20 mile runs in training (which is probably a little extreme) but coming from a history of no running, it helped greatly with the endurance (and the weight). Anyway, just wanted to say you were heading in exactly the right direction for your short-term goals.

Wed 25th
    10k in 45 mins.

Thurs/Fri 26th/27th
    Gym both days. Working hard in the gym now and it is paying some dividends.

Beginning to feel like a runner/fit person again. Key signs are:

1 - I'm doing about 3 times the amount of laundry every week.
    2 - I seem to spend half my life needing a shower or in the shower.
    3 - I got some abuse hurled at me while out running on Tuesday.

This was common in Dublin back in the day but Melbourne is a jogger friendly city. Guy shouted something along the lines of 'Run you fat p*ick'. I presume he had had a few beers and reckoned he was hilarious. He did not bank on me being about 500 yards short of my building and thus the end of my run. He definately did not consider the chance I would stop, walk back to him and request that he repeat what he said. At the moment, at 6'2 and a touch under 15 stone, I look more like a rugby openside flanker than the tighthead prop I was or the marathon runner I intend to be. After a stuttered apology from him, I think his days of shouting at runners on the street could be over.

Sat 28th
    14km in 61 mins.

Tues 1st May
    14km. The middle 11.4km (3 laps of The Tan) in a touch under 51 minutes.

Wed 2nd
    Gym.

Sunday and Monday were write offs due to me having to celebrate Leinster being the best rugby team in Europe with the consumption of alcohol.

Sunday and Monday were write offs due to me having to celebrate Leinster being the best rugby team in Europe with the consumption of alcohol.

Those Ulstermen may have a thing or two to say about that come May 19th.

Fri 4th
    14km. No watch on it but felt quick.

Sat 5th
    10km in 49 mins. Legs sore backing up thef eeling that Friday was quick.

Sun 6th
    15km easy

A decent week in the end. Wednesday was not much of a day as I woke up with a sore neck/back having slept in an awkward position. Went to my physio/osteopath on Thursday morning and he worked it out. It was the first time I had seen him in a month. Previously, he had been advising me to plateau the amount of running I was doing to avoid injury but this time he gave me the OK to start uppping the mileage.

4 days running this week, the same next week with (hopefully) a longer, slower run of 10 miles plus thrown in and then I will work out a plan from there.

I have just got a mail to say the Melbourne Marathon website is up and running with entries opening tomorrow.

The early bird special entry fee is $125 (100 euro) which seems expensive to my inexperienced self. It does finish inside the MCG though which would be a big pull. Imagine if Dublin finished in Croke Park.

I think I will sign up this week. If I commit to doing it early and start telling people I am running it then I am much more likely to keep up the training.

The early bird special entry fee is $125 (100 euro) which seems expensive to my inexperienced self. It does finish inside the MCG though which would be a big pull. Imagine if Dublin finished in Croke Park.

Welcome to Australia!! I had a glance at the Run Melbourne website the other day and the 5k race was around 40-50 blips I think! :eek:

Finishing in the MCG would be class though. You can pretend you're Ronnie Delaney!

• Advertisement

Mon 7th
    Gym

Tues 8th
    90 minutes. No real plan today but ran to the tan to meet a mate from work. Did 4.5km with him or so but it was just painfully slow so I decided to speed up, keep going and log a longer run. Not certain of distance as i ran a strange route (note, I do not own a Garmin!) but 11 miles would be a conservative guess.

Wed 9th
    15km. Met a proper athlete mate (circa 14.30 5k guy) for his recovery run. He owns a Garmin so miles were 7.10-7.15 according to his magical machine. It is a different experience running with an athlete, just a different gait and movement. He covers the ground so much easier.

Felt pretty good going along even if I am tired now. This has been a good run of training.

Log is a bit boring so will share a great tip I got from my physio. Like pretty much all new or returning runners (espeically heavy ones), my shins have been sore a lot. Nothing that stopped me getting out but I managed them with icing, stretching and avoiding running too much when fat.

Physio told me to get a bar of soap in the shower and massage the side right into the leg where the calf and the shin joins. Do that for a minute every day and you will be fine in no time. 4 days of doing it and I have no pain there anymore despite logging more miles than I have in at least 5 years. Seriously, this is a great tip and incredibly easy to do.

Advertisement