Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ancestral Reserch Centre (IARC) at University of Limerick

Options
  • 24-12-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I don't think there has been a thread about the IARC at UL (from what I understand it opened in July) but I think this a very welcome development in the area of academic and degree focused genealogy.

Genealogy is one of the most popular hobbies but is often not treated seriously in academia and within the study of history.

I'm a UL grad and I also currently work in academia so I am a bit biased but hopefully the IARC can become a centre of excellence for academic genealogy and the teaching of methodology, citing sources, writing up family genealogies etc..

From what I gather in previous forums some of the regular posters have been doing the genealogy course at UCD.

How do you find it and does anyone have more general thoughts on academic genealogy in general?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I finished the UCD one earlier this year, which is a certificate level 7 course. In general, I found it very good but at times I did feel it was a little thin on the extra material in the second year.

I would really love to do Masters in genealogy - not the vaguely related one in Limerick. There's not a true genealogy masters available and I believe that pure historian look down on genealogy as a lesser form. I am going to put out feelers though to see about the possiblities of a research masters.

I don't know much about the setup in Limerick but I did talk to the people at the Back to our past exhibition in the RDS. I have to admit that the main guy I spoke to got my back up because he was subtly dissing my UCD lecturer and then admitted he had never even met him! I understand they are back by something called the Ireland-America fund which is apparently bottomless. I suggested that they not digitise Griffiths Valuation for a 3rd time. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

The Mormon Uni over here has some degree programs, which is to be expected, and Boston University have online programs. I'd love to get an actual academic genealogy qualification myself but the next step for me is PhD and like you say with the MA's they are thin on the ground.

Of course then there is the reality of getting a genealogy job that is an actual career with a salary that could support a family etc...

Yeah, the IARC is very much an outgrowth from their MA in the family degree but hopefully over the next couple of years they might really focus on pure genealogy.

Some of the pro's over here get board certified from the Board for Certification of Genealogists. It lasts for 5 years and has an application process that requires a decent amount of work and the submission of a project.

If you have ever come across or heard of Eileen O'Duill in Dublin, she is board certified.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I have heard her speak alright and she really does know her stuff. I looked into the board certification but I didn't like that a) it cost a lot of money b) it's only accredited by themselves c) you have to renew it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The Irish Ancestry Research Centre is now scheduling summertime workshops at our training facility in the Tierney Building of the University of Limerick. These skill based workshops are suitable for anybody interested in researching their family history. It will provide an introduction to basic genealogy and the relevant sources, skills and record-keeping. The workshop assumes no prior experience of historical or genealogical studies.

The workshop will focus on key areas such as how to locate online genealogical sources, both free and subscription based; search online archives and records; learn to use Griffith’s Valuation; learn to access and search the 1901 and 1911 census and learn how to construct family records and create your family tree.

Scheduled workshops
    Thursday 10 May 12-2 pm Tierney Building, University of Limerick
    Thursday 14 June 12-2 pm Tierney Building, University of Limerick
    Thursday 12 July 12-2 pm Tierney Building, University of Limerick
    Thursday 9 August 12-2 pm Tierney Building, University of Limerick

• Introduction to sources for Genealogy research
    • How to search online archives and records
    • The 1901 Census
    • The 1911 Census
    • How to use Civil Records in Genealogical research
    • Your guide to Parish Records in Genealogical research
    • Research workshop guide to Land Records in Genealogical Research
    • Probate Records & Wills in Genealogical Research
    • Mapping, GIS and Genealogical Research
    • Land Records in Genealogical Research
    • Newspaper sources in Genealogy Research
    • How to build your family tree
    • Family record construction & Administration in Genealogical Research
    • Computer packages for Genealogy Research
    • A Guide to security software for use in Genealogical Research
    Prior booking is essential. To book your place or enquire about scheduling a workshop in your area, please email deborah.clifford@irisharc.org or telephone 061 518355.

Ideal for absolute beginners but just 2 hours for a workshop is a bit short. Is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Certificate in History of Family and Genealogical Methods

This certificate programme is designed to provide a supportive and stimulating context for history of family research. It is a one-year part-time course, which caters for the continuing educational needs of those who wish to undertake study in the theory, methodology and practice of history of family and genealogical methods and who require supervision in carrying out research particularly as it might be applied to an understanding of familial heritage in the context of local, regional and national identity.

Programme of Study

The course consists of four modules, worth a combined 30 credits, which will be delivered one evening per week, 6.30pm to 9.30pm during the UL Autumn and Spring semesters. To facilitate students who live at a distance, the course will also cater for those undertaking the certificate with an online remit. This will include blended (on-line), learning from September 2012. A sympathetic academic environment will be provided by the course lecturers, who will offer guidance in appropriate research skills.

Entry requirements

Applications are invited from mature students (in general 23 years of age on 1 January of the year of registration). Each mature student is considered on an individual basis, whose academic qualifications, work experience, motivation and overall potential for the programme are evaluated.

Autumn Semester
    HI2101 History of Family I: Theory and Practice
    HI2131 Sources and methods for the History of Family

Spring Semester
    HI2102 History of Family II: Migration and Communities
    HI2132 Research Methods

Fees € 684 – subject to review
    Online Certificate €784 – subject to review

For further information please contact
    Dr David J. Butler Email: david.butler@ul.ie & Deborah.clifford@irisharc.org
    http://www.irisharc.org Telephone no: 00353-61- 518355
    IARC, Tierney Building, University of Limerick, Limerick.
    Doing this certificate online has certainly captured my interest. Web seminars?

• Advertisement
Advertisement