Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Boom, boom :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

1318264196865_Nuns_on_the_Run_Overlay_590_295.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

<fap>

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Sarky wrote: »
    <fap>

^^^^^^^^
    Yucky childish giggle winner of the day.

Shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Jernal wrote: »
    hi-res-randoms-19.jpg?w=919&h=690

..... that's actually a sunset. Sorry :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

robindch wrote: »
    Interesting page on catholic-related stats in the USA over the last 45 years:

http://cara.georgetown.edu/CARAServices/requestedchurchstats.html

The headlines look grim for the catholic church there: while the "catholic" population appears to go up by 60%, I'd imagine it's driven by the same useless methodology that has Ireland at 84%.

In any case, weekly mass attendance stands at at 22%, catholic primary schools are down in number by 25%, catholic secondary schools down 30%, priests down 30%, seminarians down 40%, ordinations down 50%, nuns down 70%.

Cheers4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

shizz wrote: »
    ..... that's actually a sunset. Sorry :P

How do you know? (Not disputing, just curious.)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How do you know? (Not disputing, just curious.)

Checked NASA's archives. How someone could caption it wrong is baffling. :confused: Maybe it still is a sunset but really this looks like the carbon copy image. (Actually no, it doesn't. )

Apologies all,

Either way it's still beautiful and interesting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Ah, ok. I was just wondering if there was some way to see the difference between one and the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Would love a high-res copy of that if anyone can dig one out... Desktop wallpaper potential!

edit

Or I'll just take 5 seconds to Google it :p

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/MarsSunset.jpg

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Would love a high-res copy of that if anyone can dig one out... Desktop wallpaper potential!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

MARS VIKING ROBOTS 'FOUND LIFE'
    New analysis of 36-year-old data, resuscitated from printouts, shows NASA found life on Mars, an international team of mathematicians and scientists conclude in a paper published this week.

Further, NASA doesn't need a human expedition to Mars to nail down the claim, neuropharmacologist and biologist Joseph Miller, with the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, told Discovery News.

"The ultimate proof is to take a video of a Martian bacteria. They should send a microscope -- watch the bacteria move," Miller said.

"On the basis of what we've done so far, I'd say I'm 99 percent sure there's life there," he added.

If you can read this, you're too close!

In a sample of 268 religious believers, brain shrinkage is significantly higher amongst "born-again" believers than it is amongst people who don't identify as "born-again". Such shrinkage is correlated with depression, dementia, and Alzheimer's Disease.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0017006
    Abstract wrote:
    Despite a growing interest in the ways spiritual beliefs and practices are reflected in brain activity, there have been relatively few studies using neuroimaging data to assess potential relationships between religious factors and structural neuroanatomy. This study examined prospective relationships between religious factors and hippocampal volume change using high-resolution MRI data of a sample of 268 older adults. Religious factors assessed included life-changing religious experiences, spiritual practices, and religious group membership. Hippocampal volumes were analyzed using the GRID program, which is based on a manual point-counting method and allows for semi-automated determination of region of interest volumes. Significantly greater hippocampal atrophy was observed for participants reporting a life-changing religious experience. Significantly greater hippocampal atrophy was also observed from baseline to final assessment among born-again Protestants, Catholics, and those with no religious affiliation, compared with Protestants not identifying as born-again. These associations were not explained by psychosocial or demographic factors, or baseline cerebral volume. Hippocampal volume has been linked to clinical outcomes, such as depression, dementia, and Alzheimer's Disease. The findings of this study indicate that hippocampal atrophy in late life may be uniquely influenced by certain types of religious factors.

Counting penguins, from space!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17707200
    An international team of scientists has been using high resolution satellite images from space to count penguins.

They have found that there are twice as many emperor penguins in Antarctica than previously thought.

It is the first time that an entire species has been tracked from space.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Last night I watched a recording from BBC4 recently of the "Friday Night - Saturday Morning" debate on Life of Brian, this is about an hour long but great viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ni559bHXDg&feature=related

The "Not the Nine O'Clock News" satire of the LoB controversy is a hoot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asUyK6JWt9U

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Earlier, Minister for Education Ruairi Quinn denied the party was pursuing an aggressive secularist agenda.

Mr Quinn said it was pluralist and wanted to see diversity reflected in schools, but he also received some criticism from delegates. http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0414/economy-and-education-on-labour-agenda.html

And here we go. The language continues.

I hear you're a secularist now, Father.
    What's the official line the church is taking?
    Only the farm takes up most of me time and I mightn't be able to devote myself full time to the aul' secularism.

:mad::mad::pac:

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

US tornado flings trucks through the air!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17605586

We've all seen tornadoes on video, but I've never seen trucks lifted hundreds of feet into the air and flung about like they were made of cardboard.

I like to substitute the word tornadoes with trolls. It makes the story even more interesting. Might show my son a video of the aftermath and tell him that a tornado is a type of troll. Tornado hunters are troll hunters. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I like to substitute the word tornadoes with trolls. It makes the story even more interesting. Might show my son a video of the aftermath and tell him that a tornado is a type of troll. Tornado hunters are troll hunters. :)

Set aside twelve mins, relax, watch and enjoy!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

So much win. Will be tl/dr to the attention impaired. don't bother reminding me.

tYYg9.png
    sskHd.png
    t6zc7.png
    5szdR.png

full transcript here in case some doucher posts the chain letter to your facebook wall

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/sdfcu/oh_yeah_einstein_said_that_logicbombed_xpost_from/c4d5s8d

http://i.imgur.com/vluyk.gif

Evolution tree, large pic.

RichieC wrote: »
    So much win. Will be tl/dr to the attention impaired. don't bother reminding me.

full transcript here in case some doucher posts the chain letter to your facebook wall

That's a revision of that stupid creationist ad in Poland or wherever and it's really beginning to piss me off. The ignorance shown by the people in reposting it is terrifying. I'm just not sure if the debunking is even worth it. Ignorance will be ignorance.

Between this and the whole abortion debacle the more I hate God's design of humanity. He really was a f*cking twat.

Most Irish Catholics Are Protestants.

http://bocktherobber.com/2012/04/survey-most-irish-catholics-are-protestants/

Either that or they're not really religious any more. Gradually growing out of it.

Seemingly has no brain, no awareness of its own self existence, but seemingly is immortal!!:eek:
    abstract wrote:
    Organisms develop through a series of stages
    leading to sexually mature adults. In a few cases ontogeny
    reversal is possible, but it does not occur typically after
    the onset of sexual reproduction. All stages of the medusa
    Turritopsis nutricula, from newly liberated to fully mature
    individuals, can transform back into colonial hydroids,
    either directly or through a resting period, thus escaping
    death and achieving potential immortality. This is the
    first metazoan known to revert to a colonial, juvenile
    morph after having achieved sexual maturity in a solitary
    stage. Selective excision experiments show that the transformation
    of medusae into polyps occurs only if differentiated
    cells of the exumbrellar epidermis and part of
    the gastrovascular system are present, revealing a transformation
    potential unparalleled in the animal kingdom.

Disclaimer: Probably not all that layman friendly but interesting surely? :D

Artificial DNA hell yeah!!
    All of a sudden, DNA has no reason to feel special. For decades it seemed that only a handful of molecules could store genetic information and pass it on. But now synthetic biologists have discovered that six others can pull off the same trick, and there may be many more to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Hey it looks like we might be god to something else.

Advertisement