Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamullen weekend races 13/14/15 April

Options
  • 04-04-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Anyone know the courses being used this year. Is the G.P. going over the Snowtown Route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

hope so :) piece from the fingal
    Meanwhile, Stamullen M Donnelly Road Club are preparing for their weekend of racing from April 13th-15th. The programme begins with the Brendan Carroll Memorial Race on the Friday at Piltown (outside the St Colmcille's GFC grounds). The following day it will be the Pat & Monie Nolan Memorial at Balscadden and on the Sunday the annual Stamullen GP Races will be held at Stamullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Is the Race on Saturday (Nolan Memorials) a CP again this year ....considering the size of the fields turning up at races lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Hello

any thoughts on these races

Anybody have a map handy of the race circuit ?(where is piltown)

Hills?

any tips would help this beginner A4 rider I know *(MISE)

thanks CH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

piltown is up by drogheda. not sure of the route, but i would imagine its flat enough, there arent many hills on that side of the town as far as I know. good luck with the race! There was a thread recently called a4 race pace, few tips in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

Take the first left off the drogheda to julianstown road, signposted for bettystown, and you'll pass the GAA grounds about a mile down this road. the race leaves from here. Its a flat circuit with only 1 short steep lump about 150m long or so, about 2/3s of the way thru the circuit. Didn't do it last year but believe its a handicapped race, so not a separate a4 race, unless its been changed. Happy cycling, hope to have a go myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Good v fast race. 3's and 4's stayed away to nearly the very end last year but 4 1's and 2's bridged including the wiiner Martyn Irvine and 2nd place Paul Kennedy. only 4 turns two of which are pretty flat out and the other two are quite sharp. Has been a hammerfest the last two years. Great fun and may make my season debut if I can get a path power hosed tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Hello

thanks for the advice/!

so which races are handicapped, and which races are split into catagories

cheers

Laz

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fri and Sat are handicapped, the Sunday races are split in seperate cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

shaungil wrote: »
    Has been a hammerfest the last two years. Great fun and may make my season debut if I can get a path power hosed tonight.

Did the Brendan Carrol race last year. It was my first combined start with A3/A4 (I'm A4). Started out really fast compared to that I was used to and was hanging on at the back for the first full lap. Almost gave up after the first lap, but got warmed up by the end of the second lap and did ok and managed to get in the running for the unplaced A4, but just couldn't keep it going to the line. Finished in the group.

Great race with only a slight drag after the 3rd bend. Last year the surface on that drag was in bits. Hopefully it'll be better now. Lets hope we can stay away again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For Saturday's race, be careful over the bridge. I passed some broken bodies there last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Lumen wrote: »
    For Saturday's race, be careful over the bridge. I passed some broken bodies there last year.
    Can you point it out on a google map? Don't fancy finding out what you mean during the first lap?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kenmc wrote: »
    Can you point it out on a google map? Don't fancy finding out what you mean during the first lap?

It's near the start of the lap. From what I remember you go up from the start, left on to the steady descent, and it's sort of at the bottom of that. Little humpy thing.

Best to get at the front before it, i.e. during the descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Anyone need a lift to therace tomorrow? Leaving Rathgar at 5. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lumen wrote: »
    It's near the start of the lap. From what I remember you go up from the start, left on to the steady descent, and it's sort of at the bottom of that. Little humpy thing.

Best to get at the front before it, i.e. during the descent.

http://g.co/maps/rq79k - is this it? Doesn't look too bad, but I probably have the wrong bridge.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

buffalo wrote: »
    http://g.co/maps/rq79k - is this it? Doesn't look too bad, but I probably have the wrong bridge.

That's the wrong road.

This is it.

EDIT: Sorry, forget that. Google told me your link was up a cul de sac, but it's the same road in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

Any mention anywhere of the distances (or number of laps) for the different groups on Sunday's GP?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Open race debut for me this evening. A4 was fast enough averaging just under 40kph for the first lap, but were still caught by A3 within a quarter of the race (1 and a half of 6 laps), and then I think both A2 and A1 caught the enlarged group after a further lap

It was a very large group and I tried to stay out of trouble, which meant I was hanging off the back coming out of the 2 most difficult corners and after about a quarter of the 5th lap I was dropped. I managed to get paced by the following cars for a while, and virtually got back on, but the pace was too hot, and I was starting to get a stitch so I dropped off the back again and came in at the end of the penultimate lap

Mark Dowling won

Teas a zippy race indeed. I tried, along with a few lads, to keep our a4 group away, but as you say beasty we were caught on the second lap, and that was game over!! I managed to hang on to the group for the rest of the race, but couldn't get near the front for the finish. The bunch was made up of a4/3/2/1s, so pace for the 52k was high, for me, at 39.8kmph! Thanks beasty for allowing me through at one stage, sir!! Great marshalling, and sambos afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Can anyone confirm whether this is the course for the GP on Sunday?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1081736

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Plastik wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm whether this is the course for the GP on Sunday?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1081736

That's it as far as I know. I presume it's three laps for the A4s but I'm not certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

That's it as far as I know. I presume it's three laps for the A4s but I'm not certain.

Thanking you :) Are you A3 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Plastik wrote: »
    Thanking you :) Are you A3 yet?

Nope. See you Sunday!

enjoyed tonight fast and furious,got well up on the last lap but blew up trying to hold my place,i used a lot of energy on the 2nd last lap thinking it was the finish (note to self learn to count)
    what time is kick off tomorrow any one

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

what time is kick off tomorrow any one
    12.30 - I may be spectating tomorrow

At least you didnt throw your arms up in the air crossing the line for the second last time Killalanerr!

Any results up for tonights race?

Today's race won by Ian Richardson of UCD, finishing I would guess around 30s ahead of the chasing group.

Beasty wrote: »
    Today's race won by Ian Richardson of UCD, finishing I would guess around 30s ahead of the chasing group.

I heard 20s. He was in A3, and he went past us in A4 after ...a lap and a half? And I don't think anyone held his wheel. Savage ride, and a well-deserved win.

I managed to get the lowest of the senior prizes (and I mean the lowest!), I'll stick up a race report in a bit.

Very brief, because I have to head across town for d'mammy's birthday.

Pretty chilly signing-on, but great entertainment watching the juniors race. I've no doubt some of them are quite capable of beating me - a few of them were climbing up that hill like it wasn't there. Fintan Ryan (I think?) won the U16s by about 5 minutes. And he soloed for about four laps!

For the seniors, the A4 bunch set off first, I've no idea how much of a handicap was given, and all the laps have kinda merged in my head. I think it must've been a lap and a half, he went past us as we passing the school (sign-on for tomorrow) and I don't think anybody could even think about holding his wheel. A few A3s came with him, but they all sat in with us from what I saw.
    Pace was high, and people worked together sporadically - a line-out was a far more common sight though. The killer pinch point was just after the left turn after going through Stamullen. Sharp left, descend a couple of curves, then up a steep straight, with a drag before turning left again.
    I was with a breakaway of A3s and A4s on the second last lap. I was already pretty close to cracking, hanging on to the back of that group, behind a Dublin Wheeler. When he lost the wheel going up that steep hill, I knew that was it for me too. Soft pedalled for a bit to recover, waited for someone to come collect me, and a breakaway of A1s and A2s showed up fairly swiftly. Tagged along with them for another lap, before being dropped on the same damn hill! Another group of A1s and A2s picked me up, and we were caught by a bigger group on the climb to the finish line.

I'd been watching the numbers around me, so knew there were no other A4s in the running, apart from those who were in that first group. Third unplaced A4 for mise, which I'm delighted with. First (non? :)) placing of the year, and evidence that the form is coming. Sure who needs winter training? :p Cheers to kenmc for the lift!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Congrats on the result buffalo. Savage ride from Ian Richardson, pretty much TT'd the whole race.
    buffalo wrote: »
    I don't think anybody could even think about holding his wheel.

You're wrong there - one rider was brave/naive/foolhardy (take your pick) to try and hold his wheel. Your's truly! I nearly latched on to him when he broke away from the A4 bunch on the drag but just couldn't close the gap, I'd started from too far back in the bunch so left myself too much to do. He keep looking behind him and for a few secs I thought he'd wait for me but the fecker wasn't slowing up :D. I guess he reckoned if I was strong enough to help him in the break I'd have been strong enough to close the gap - and in reality I wasn't strong enough for either!

Paid for that moment of madness by having to do 3/4 of a lap on my own before being swept up by the A4 bunch. A teammate then made it across from A2 so I did a bit of work upfront to help push the pace before the gasket finally blew on the way into Stamullen on second last lap. Got picked up by the main bunch just before the final lap only to be spat out again going up the long drag for the last time leaving me to roll over the finish line with a couple of other stragglers.

Only my 4th race (2 league, 2 open) so still learning - and today's events prove I've lots to learn.

Advertisement