Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More miles mean more improvement?

• 14-02-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

well im into my 5th year of running now,i have averaged near 2500miles the past 2years gone,so this year i have decided to try and average 100 miles a week for the year(if injury free or the misses doesnt packs her bags) and see what improvments it gives me,since day one i have loved the longer distances,first i ran a 10k,than a marathon,and i ran my first 50k ultra after that and had the pleasure to share that experience with mick rice and peter delmar,they both gave me alot of advice,that i still use today,each week im going to put up my weeks mileage and hopefully people can give me some advice on where im going wrong,i used to run one ultra a year before and a few marathons,this year i have 4 ultras planned and im hopeing the big miles give me some pbs,next up is connemara ultra(pb 4hr57.10),lets see if more miles mean more improvment:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

week 6
    mon 16miles at 7.28pace
    tue 16miles at 8.00pace
    wed 20miles at 8.34pace
    thur 16miles at 7.59pace
    fri rest
    sat 30miles at 7.28pace(felt strong all the way)
    sun 20miles at 7.28pace(every mile was a struggle)
    week total 118miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I think you need this changed to the logs section if you are going to update it and want feedback. Secondly my legs got tired just looking at that milage. Thirdly, a rest day on friday lazy:D
    See you down in conn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Ray, probably more suited to a training log in the [Training Logs] sub-forum. That's some impressive mileage, and it seems you're getting some really good results on the back of it (e.g. Connemara and your sub-3 last year).

Quick question: do you run all your miles at approximately the same pace? If you want to improve over the longer distances, it may be worth trying to improve your times over shorter distances (5k / 10k), which could mean shortening some of your runs and focusing on speed, rather than just running long all of the time. Do you ever follow a structured plan, or just head out for every run with the plan of meeting the 100mpw goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

And some people have the cheek to suggest that I'm a lunatic!

can i transfer this page to the training log section or do i need to open another tread there,i deffiantly wont be doing any shorter distances only a friend has me entered into a 10mile race,speed work that i have done this year is 14miles a 6.52pace and another session of 16miles at 6.51pace,i have done a session one mile easy than one mile 6.15x8reps,the rest is mostly done on hilly coast roads,yep i just make it up as i go along and try to cover the 100mile,i hate having set miles infront of me,i usually do 2hour session during the week and then the longer stuff on the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I have moved that now for you

Regarding you mileage I have to say your mileage is pretty incredible not just because of the figures but simply the fact that you do it as singles over 6 days:eek:

In terms of for Ultra training and longer I think the training looks fairly spot on perhaps the mile on mile off is a little too much recovery for the benefits got but you are exposing yourself to quicker than race pace which will definitely stand to you.

Given that training is quite unstructured fartlek could benefit you this essentially is just randomly picking up the pace @ regular intervals throughout the run so perhaps 5 min hard 3 min easy 7 min hard 4 min easy etc just simply pace alteration throughout the run.

Also try do some of your steady runs on a hilly loop

Other than that keep doing what you are doing and you will see improvements. The mileage alone this year is a huge increase from the past and should provide the stress needed to adapt it is only when your times start to plateau that you will need to add new stimulus (more mileage or more intensity)

thanks ecoli,yep this is the exact advice i need to see what adjustsments i need to make along the way,i hope you all can put me on the right path and play your part on making me a better ultrarunner,i will defintly try and do some fartleks and intervels,ecoli i do all my runs on very hilly routes for strength(i have no choice as tramore is built on a hill haha)krusty clown i might even get converted to 5ks/10ks along the way,thanks.

week 7
    mon =15mile(tight calf so went to get psysio)
    tue=rest calf
    wed=19milex7.37pace(hamstring problem)
    thur=injured(rang to see psysio,booked out,ring me when a free slot comes in)
    fri=injured
    sat=injured
    sun=injured(got hamstring looked at and sorted fingers crossed)
    tota miles=34miles,what a week hope i dont have to repeat that again,it crazy how we get caught up with times and races,i would just love to be able to run around the block.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

week 7
    mon =15mile(tight calf so went to get psysio)
    tue=rest calf
    wed=19milex7.37pace(hamstring problem)
    thur=injured(rang to see psysio,booked out,ring me when a free slot comes in)
    fri=injured
    sat=injured
    sun=injured(got hamstring looked at and sorted fingers crossed)
    tota miles=34miles,what a week hope i dont have to repeat that again,it crazy how we get caught up with times and races,i would just love to be able to run around the block.:(

Hows it going Ray.. About time u displayed ur mega milage for all of us to admire :eek:.. Mind that hamstring man... C u in Conn....

week 8
    mon=injured
    tues=14mile
    wed=20milex7.57pace
    thurs=21mile(13x7.14)(8x7.38)
    fri=15milex7.12
    sat=20milex8.03pace
    sun=16milex7.43pace
    total=106miles
    found it realy hard this week getting back into it after missing most of last week over thight hamstring,to make it harder on myself i run all my miles wearing a ran jacket(even in the heat)and dont take fluids or gels etc during my runs,except for 30mile,my theory is on race day when i drink fluids and put my caffine gels down my neck i should go like a rocket:D

• Advertisement

week 9
    mon=20mile
    tues=10mile am at 6.39 pace+10mile pm at 7.14pace
    wensday=19mile at 8.40 pace
    thursday=20mile
    friday=rest
    sat=27mile at 8.28pace,was hoping to do these at a fast pace after getting a rub on thursday, but i hit a wall on mile 3
    sun=24mile at 8.18pace(legs still dead).
    total=130mile(hoping the legs recover a bit as would love to get some better quality sessions in before connemara ultra)i made the mistake last week of not taking a rest day,so i ended up running 10 days straight,was catching up on mist training because of injury,im learning as i go along,and thats a mistake that i wont repeat again,rest is realy important,dont miss it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Just spotted this log, my god thats animal stuff your doing :eek:

week 10
    mon=17milesx7.03pace
    tues=20mile(10milesx7.22pace am+10miles pm)
    wed=rest
    thurs=30milesx7.39pace
    fri=rest
    sat=36mile
    sun=27milex8.27pace
    total=130miles
    legs was very heavy until saturday,felt realy strong yesterday and today,things starting to come together now,injurance is realy good,just going to work on some speed now for connemara:)

I'm very curious to see what those mega miles will produce in Connemara. See you there!

week 11
    mon=injured hamstring
    tue=11miles x 7.07pace
    wed=8miles x 7.17pace(hamstring still not right)
    thurs=injured
    fri=injured
    sat=29mile x 7.26pace
    sun=23mile
    weeks total 71miles(got hamstring sorted but after my run today my ankle swelled up alot,wanted to do alot more miles this week but connemara in 2 weeks so i will rest up now and try and give my legs a bit of a rest)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Best of luck in connemara! I always wondered how you guys do it. Now I know : o : o

week 12
    mon=injured
    tues=injured
    wed=injured(got pyhsio to have a look at my swollen foot)
    thur=injured
    fri=injured
    sat=injured
    sun=10miles at 6.23pace
    total 10miles(foot flared up again,fingers crossed i make it to the start line in connemara).:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hi Ray, do you think the injuries are down to the high mileage alone? They miles you're covering are incredible.

i have done all my runs on the road,deffintly doesnt help and the past 3 weeks ive been working as a dry liner,humping plaster boards all over the place,it all ads up to a lot of stress on my joints,i kind of just jumped in to the high milage stratergy,i suppose it takes the body awhile to ajust to things.

week 12
    mon=injured
    tues=injured
    wed=injured(got pyhsio to have a look at my swollen foot)
    thur=injured
    fri=injured
    sat=injured
    sun=10miles at 6.23pace
    total 10miles(foot flared up again,fingers crossed i make it to the start line in connemara).:confused:

Jesus Ray thats terrible luck... im stating the obvious here but take it easy for the week ... I wouldnt bother running at all until Thurs or Friday and then only a few slow miles... with all the milage uve done a weeks total rest will do u no harm..... It know its going to b a difficult decision but running the Ultra if ur not right could set u back months.....Hope this week goes well 4 u man....

• Advertisement

liam i will be at the start line even if my foot falls of,im getting some physio on it tomorrow so should be grand for sunday,c ya there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

liam i will be at the start line even if my foot falls of,im getting some physio on it tomorrow so should be grand for sunday,c ya there:)

thats the stuff....c u at the start line...

week 13
    mon=10 mile at 7.12pace
    tues=injured
    wed=6 mile at 7.14pace(got physio,most painfull ever)
    thurs=rest
    fri=rest
    sat=rest
    sun=39.49miles(connemara ultra,had a tough time with the ankle most of the race but still managed to blast out a 4hr5omins finish,excited to think what i could do when im 100percent,met some great people who also had some great preformances,looking forward to next year again)
    weeks total=55miles

week 13
    mon=10 mile at 7.12pace
    tues=injured
    wed=6 mile at 7.14pace(got physio,most painfull ever)
    thurs=rest
    fri=rest
    sat=rest
    sun=39.49miles(connemara ultra,had a tough time with the ankle most of the race but still managed to blast out a 4hr5omins finish,excited to think what i could do when im 100percent,met some great people who also had some great preformances,looking forward to next year again)
    weeks total=55miles

Thats exactly thats I was thinking..... 4.50 with fked up ankle is some going... enjoyed the company yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

well done ray.. we even made the rte news while running past the full start point.. c u next year!!!!1

CONNEMARA ULTRA REPORT
    saturday morning at 7,myself and ian headed of to galway,ian said it would take 5 hours to get there but only took us 3hours,so at 10 oclock in the morning we dropped our bags of at the pillo hotel,we coulnt check in until 3,so we had 5 hours to kill,seemed a long time,then it hit me thats how long i will be running for tomorrow,thats if i could make it to the start line,the reason why was my foot and ankle was swelled up like a balloon,and today was the worse it had ever been,walking around town was the worse thing i could be doing to it now,but we had 5 hours to kill,we went into every shop and had plenty to eat and shot some pool,we decided to go to the cinema to watch a movie,but it had already started,so 3oclock came around and we checked in,went up stairs and got our packs and headed to our room,straight away i went down stairs and filled the ice bucket with ice,i then filled the bin half way with water and empted the ice in,then i set the watch for 20mins,the most i ever had my foot in ice was 4mins so this was a task,but i was dedermined to do what ever i took to have a chance of running tomorrow,through the day i done 4x 20min sessions of this,it did feel better but the swelling never went down,i rang my physio and he advised me against it,ian had his doubhts aswell,i took a antinflamitry and went to bed and prayed to god that all the training i done would not go to waste,i had a realy bad sleep that night just thinking i wont be able to run,i was in the toilet at abour 4 oclock and i looked down and to my amazment the swelling had gone down 60 pecent,i almost cried,i was going to wake ian up to tell him but he was to buzy snoring,i jumped back in to bed and had the best 1 hr20mins sleep of my life,so up at 5.20 and i was pumping with adrelaline because i had a good chance,we packed our bags had our breckfest and got talking to a english guy who lived in waterford,as we are from there aswell,he kindly gave us a lift to the bus for connemara,on the bus i got so nervous and i could see ian was to,his best marathon pb was 3.56.and he was going for a sub 6hr in the ultra,but from training with him i knew what he was made off and he wasnt going to wilter in any way,he wasnt born with natural speed but has the heart of a lion,so we arived and got changed had a pain killer and talked to some people,listened to ray o conner,the legend,and headed to the bus to take us to the start,i was meant to meet to other boardies and we were going to run at 7.15 pace for as long as we could,but i panicked when i coulnt find them,on a day like this when my foot was fck i just wanted to try and switch off and tuck in with the lads,when we got of the bus i bumbed into thomas our pacer,and then met liam up at the front,now the 3 amegoes were together,so the gun went off and the journey started,mile 1 to 13,7.21,7.18,7.15,7,17,7.21,7.10,7.21,7.23,7,17,7.04,7.30,7.12,7.14,i had set my watch up different this time so it was harder to callculate my pace,but then i wasnt looking at it every 30seconds,thomas took care of the pacing,after 4 miles my foot started to get sore and by mile 10 i didnt think i could even make it to half way,this realy took the hole experiance and enjoyment of the race away from me,i wasnt going to start going on about my ankle to liam and thomas and ruin there experiance to,so i just sucked it up and carried on,i had 1 painkiller in my shorts and wanted to take it straight away,but i had to wait until the marathon point before i could take it,the only time the ankle felt ok to run on was up the hills and it almost made me quit going down them,mile 13 to 26,7.16,6.59,7.01,7.07,7.13,7.19,7.39,7.33,7.26,7.25,7.10,7.37,7.30,there was some very fast miles in there as our group of 3 was 8 at times and different people was pushing the pace,i found the insert of pace a bit to fast as in training i concentrated on injurance and left the speed for the 2 weeks before connemara but got injured with my ankle so i only done 2 session in them 2 weeks,so i decided to ease off as i new from experiance they where going to hard,i had asked everyone there marathon pbs,and we where all 2.57,2.58,i new if i keep it even i would catch up with them later,as soon as i eased of so did thomas and it felt very easy to run that few seconds slower,within minute liam had stopped for the toilet and we where all together again,now the pack ahead of us just vanished from the distance,so the marathon point came and i took my painkiller,it had no effect and i came close to quitting twice,this realy bothered me as this is something thats not in my armour but i came very close,the thought of running another 13 miles on my ankle almost broke me,i just had to use every mental trick i new to get me to the end,thomas and laim powered on at this point,i kept losing them and the catching up again when they were stopping at drop points or pee pee stops as the itailan bloke said to me,as we cxame to the hills near the end i started to catch most of the lads that went out to hard,we caught all but 1 of the group,i caught the 2nd last one of them at the bottom of the hell of the west,but i decided to help him get up it instead of trying to beat him,i always have a good finish so if he wanted a sprint finish i thought i could beat him,i think we both helped each other up that hill,when we got to the top my ankle went over and i thought it snaped,i let out a scream and the ultra guy with me called max just said suck it up we are almost there now,so i dint push the pace as i thought i was under 4.50 finish,we decided when we got to .2 of a mile to go we would sprint,max went and i coullnt go with him,he went 20 meters in front of me,put i gave it one last push and past him right on the line,mile 27 to 39.49,7.42,7.58,7.14,7.16,7.20,7.25,7.20,7.20,7.21,7.50,8.24,7.17,7.00,6.32,i let out a scream over the line got my well done from the legend ray o conner,hes a amazing runner and person,i just sat down after the race and was glad it was over,i get the same enjoyment from my own achievments as seing others fulfill there goals,liam thomas and another guy from waterford called anthony, i met on the day fullfilled theres,that was special,of i went to get changed and something to eat,and back to see how my friend ian was getting on,as i walked back to the finish ultra area,i started to cry,just pure emotion came floading out,only then i had realised what i had achieved,a 4hr 50 finish,i took 7 minutes off last years time and with conditions that never suited and injury,and most of all i never quit,i had joined up my local tramore ac club 2 days before connemara and got on the back of the vest NEVER GIVE UP,it was intended to help others that were struggeling but ended up helping me aswell,i then stopped my sobbing and sat down waiting for ian and a lady had just sat down next to me and see was crying because she just finished,and i felt every bit of that,i could relate 100 percent to her,and i started sobbing again,there something very special among ultra runneres i find that doesnt happen in shorter races,is the respect from each other,no matter if your last or first,every one goes through some dark places to get to the finishline,just then i heared ians name being called out,i ran over and we sobbed together,sad to growing men sob,he came in,5hr54 and had a 5 min poopoo stop in there aswell,amazing achievment ian,for anyone ready this im not grea with spelling or getting my words across so hopefully you enjoy it,and if you havnt ran connemara before you havnt been born yet,this is a special race that will take you on a special journey,c u next year to do it all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Wow... that's some running and a great report. That took sheer determination and guts to keep going! well done and I really enjoying reading you report and I am definitely thinking off signing up for the half/full next year to experience the amazing things that all the reports are talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Ray congratulations on your amazing achievement, phenomenal result in those circumstances, I really enjoyed your report.
    Connemara Ultra is indeed a life-changing experience and we are so lucky to have experienced it.

I hope you'll take it easy now for a while and put that poor ankle up:D

i wish i could martha,i havnt ran yet but i have a 6hour track race on in april 28th,need to start training again:eek:

• Advertisement

Great report Ray... I knew u were in a spot of bother with ur ankle but little did I know how bad u were feeling... Ur one hardy son of a b!tch :D Hope u recover in time for ur trip to England.. C u on the start line next year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done!! Congrats to both you and Ian.....and great report!!!! :) Good luck on the 28th! :eek: (6 hour track race?)

Amazing report to go with a top notch race, Ray! I had no idea your ankle bothered you as much as it did, top marks for keeping going, and posting an amazing time, too!

You certainly deserved it after your training.

Best of luck with the 6-hour race. Take care of that foot first.

With that amount of training you're doing it's scary to imagine how good you might become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Brilliant race report Ray, and an amazing achievement! You've got major strength mentally and physically to keep going. Hope the ankle heals up asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Grellan

Great run Ray, I can't believe to did that on a dodgy ankle - respect. I was with you from about mile 10 to 19. Ye passed me at mile 26 but I stuck in there for a 5:02 finish (a 22 minute PB) - it's hard on your own. I met you and Ian briefly after the race. till next year, Grellan.

week 14
    mon=injured
    tues=injured
    wed=injured
    thurs=16 miles x 7.27pace(felt realy tired,ankle still at me)
    fri=rest
    sat=28 miles x 7.57pace(ankle felt runnable or im getting used to the pain,never struggled so much during a training run,connemara has took alot out of me for sure).
    sun=8 miles
    weeks total=52miles

• Advertisement

week 15
    mon=13miles
    tues=21miles
    wens=rest
    thurs=23miles(struggeled realy bad,stopped 6 times for 30secs to walk)
    fri=rest
    sat=30miles x 7.26pace(done my first session on the track for my 6hr track race on the 28th,felt realy bouncy and zapped the energy out of my legs,but i was worried about the cornering,that didnt bother me,but it sure was boring,i managed 2 hrs until i got dizzy:)
    sun=10miles x 7.03pace am + 7miles x 7.49pace pm
    weeks total= 104miles(happy to hit the 100 this week,it might make the legs tired but it puts my head in a good place.

week 16
    mon=25miles(13m am + 12m pm)
    tue=rest
    wens=14miles
    thurs=11miles
    fri=16miles x 7.24pace
    sat=16miles x 7.59pace
    sun=8miles x 6.43pace
    weeks total=90miles
    (since monday i have been suffering bad with fatigue,every run this week bar fridays was cut short,something wasnt right,then friday night my stomach has had bad pains and ive had diearria,and passing blood,getting my blood looked at tomorrow and a chat with the doctor,i have a hernia for 2 years now that i havnt got sorted yet,i hope its nothing to do with that,this is all i need now with my 6hr race on saturday)

Take it easy before your race. Please!

Take it easy before your race. Please!

+1

just back from the doctor,got blood tested,no results for a week,he said its not my hernia thats causing the problems,have to get a camara down me to see whats going on,he has to wait for the blood results to come back to see whats happening,said it could be some bug or something more serious with my bowels,he advised me to do no running and complete rest until results are back,i told him my plan for saturday and he nearly fell of the chair,if i feel better my saturday im going,if not im going anyway,fingers crossed

• Advertisement

just back from the doctor,got blood tested,no results for a week,he said its not my hernia thats causing the problems,have to get a camara down me to see whats going on,he has to wait for the blood results to come back to see whats happening,said it could be some bug or something more serious with my bowels,he advised me to do no running and complete rest until results are back,i told him my plan for saturday and he nearly fell of the chair,if i feel better my saturday im going,if not im going anyway,fingers crossed

I'm sure I'm wasting my time in telling you to take it easy on yourself but I really think you should. It sounds like serious stuff and your health is more important than any race.
    In the meantime you could try and rest as much as possible between now and Saturday, you've got more than enough miles in those legs and the rest can only help you.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Ray

CRAWLEY 6HR TRACK RACE REPORT
    got on the 9.15 bus from tramore to dublin airport with arrived in dublin at 1.30,my plane over to england wasnt leaving until 4.05,plenty of time to relax and get something to eat,of i went a checked my bag in and a foreign later mumbelled something to me,all i understood was look at the big screen,i ask what and got the same answer,ok,so off i went for something to eat,i eat a dinner and my stomach went into cramps again and had a few visits to the toilet,get my results on tuesday to see whats happening there,so a 2.30 i went down to the big screen and stood there looking up at it waiting for where to go,every few minutes on certin destenations it would say go to gate 2,except my flight and a few others,i presumed it was delayed.3.45 came and i rang my misses to check online to see if it was delayed,she said it wasnt,i panicked and found a rynair tesk and ask the lady she said your to late now the wont let you on,pure panic set in,in the end after argueing my bag was took of and had to pay another 110 euro and wait until 7.40 for the next plane,i didnt miss this one and arrived at my hotel at 10,ended up walking for 30 mins trying to find a shop and got back to my hotel at 11,had something to eat and straight to bed,i met my friend at the hotel at 7 in the morning for breakfest and race talk,i had a great breakfest but my stomach was in a bad way,a mix of nerves and a virus,of we headed to the crawley track,had a race briefing,the olympic torch was there from the 1965 olympics i think and everyone got to run a lap with it with it lighting,my tactics was to get the win and try and beat the course record of 46.7miles,so i was going to run the first 2 miles hard to not let anyone no my pace,i went out a 6.20pace and 2 guys flew past me,my friend said they where running 5.30 pace,that blew my goal out the window and didnt have a plan B,i just kept running hard for about 4 miles hoping they would slow down ,put no way were day,these were serious runners,then my stomach started playing up and had to make a detour to the toilet area,about 100 meters of the track,i lost 10 min in the first hour,then in the second hour my data base on my garmin went full,what a time for this to happen,threw my watch at my friend to sort it out,then more stomach troubles,another trip to the toilets and again in the 3rd hour,i think i lost almost 17min in this time,i realy didnt want to continue any more but if you give your best on the day you can walk away pround and still be a winner, so i just ran and ran,i hadnt a clue what sort of mileds i was covering only ever hour when day put up the leaders board,i was in 3rd,and then on the fifth hour day made a mistake and i was in 4th,this confussed me and had to stop to sort it out,but the new what happened and back into 3rd i went,with 14mins to go my friend shouted you have 44miles done,with my calculatins i had run nearly 47 with going arond on different lanes and running to the toilets and back,so i ran as hard as i could,i ran 2x 6.30miles,and ended up 46.odd,near the course record,well the old one,as the leader ran a new british record,i think 52miles,yes 2 marathons back to back in 6 hours and the guy that was second ran 50.odd mile,the guy in second ran a 2.33 in london last week as training,theywere both qualafiying for britain for the up and coming celtic plate,when the race was over i just collapst on the ground,but felt no tiredness,strange maybe adrenuline taking over,had a shower and went up to the prize givings,first prize to first place,the guy in fourth won the vets title,then the lady gave the second guy a prize,and then i got called up,i only thought there was a prize for first,just shows you if you NEVER GIVE UP,you get your rewards,i got the coolest prize ever 2 cast iron and bronze trainers with the crawley 6hr 2012 on the side,over the moon,i proudly looking at them now,so of i went back to the hotel had a dinner,and went to gatwick airport,yes went to wrong terminal but had plenty of time to find the right one,arrived back in dublin were a friend picked me up and back in tramore by 1.30 sunday morning,i cand wait to do this one again next year,think i could ru near 50miles if everything falls right on the day,bring on the rest of 2012.:)

I'm thrilled for you Ray, congratulations, fantastic run for you and a wonderful prize. I could almost feel the stress in your report, so nice to have a great result at the end of it.
    Now PLEASE rest and recover properly:) you surely deserve a break now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yes, serious congratulations for you! Do take a little well deserved break, at least until the test results come back....then easy does it for a bit. If you can, post a photo of your uber cool prize. :)

Great running Ray... Super stuff....Cant wait 2 c how u perform when ur 100% fit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Well done. You're crazy but well done. I don't know how you can keep that training going. Fair play.

I knew you were going to run it, stomach troubles or not. That's a serious achievement, congratulations! Well done!

week 17
    mon=rest
    tues=rest
    wed=rest
    thurs=6 miles x 7.22pace
    fri=rest
    sat=46 miles(crawley 6hr track)
    sun=8 miles
    weeks total=60miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Wow, you are made a strong stuff Ray :eek: Congrats on another fantastic achievement.

3rd place prize:):):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement