Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options
  • 02-04-2012 3:58pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What is the latest on this switch? My cards were renewed at the start of March & I was expecting them to be replaced with Visa debit, but I got new Laser cards. Has this changerover been delayed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi KoolKid,

Thanks for your post. I need to follow this up with the Project Team for Visa Debit cards to get the most up-to-date information. I'll get back to you asap.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks Graham;)

Thanks for your patience KoolKid,

I heard back this morning that we are expecting to start distributing our new Visa Debit cards at the beginning of June. We anticipate this roll-out will take approximately 6 months, due to the high number of cards involved.

Although you recently received renewal cards, when the roll-out happens you will automatically get replacement Visa Debit cards for which there will be no charge. Sorry for any inconvenience.

If you have any other questions please ask,
    Graham

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks Graham .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

you may have noticed a rather long boi visi debit topic on the banking page .

there have been major delays already .

lets hope this does not continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

Thanks for your patience KoolKid,

I heard back this morning that we are expecting to start distributing our new Visa Debit cards at the beginning of June. We anticipate this roll-out will take approximately 6 months, due to the high number of cards involved.

Although you recently received renewal cards, when the roll-out happens you will automatically get replacement Visa Debit cards for which there will be no charge. Sorry for any inconvenience.

If you have any other questions please ask,
    Graham

who will the cards be rolled out to first? I'd like to have my in June and Not December if it were possible.

Same here, hope to get away in June .

Hi all,

Initially the new cards will be rolled out based on current Laser card expiry date. So the nearer your cards are to their expiry the sooner you will receive your Visa Debit card.

Thanks,
    Graham

Ah jasus. ......
    I'm at the bottom of the list so.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

KoolKid wrote: »
    Ah jasus. ......
    I'm at the bottom of the list so.

I've a feeling there will be a lot of lost laser cards in June ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

In Fairness how many dates have passed by now from BOI about their Visa/Debit card? Wouldn’t be holding my breath about Junes date either.
    Myself personally been a customer for the last 20 odd years, and done what we Irish are bad at and voted with my feet and moved to Ulster Bank, as I had enough of there lies. So easy to move too I found out, they have a moving pack and nearly everything done for you, and there mobile app is a lot better than BOI, ops BOI don’t have one yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

harolds57 wrote: »
    In Fairness how many dates have passed by now from BOI about their Visa/Debit card? Wouldn’t be holding my breath about Junes date either.

Pretty much.

I asked last March about the Visa Debit, and was told it would be the summer when it came out. I asked during the summer and was told it'd be September. I asked in September and I was told it'd be November. Asked in November and again in December and was twice told it'd be rolling out at the beginning of the new year. I asked in January this year and was told March. And now it's apparently June when it'll be rolled out, and it could be up to six months after that before I can get my hands on one. It's a bit ridiculous.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Very disappointed about how BOI have handled the Visa Debit roll out with there "always coming soon" tag line.

Although I've been with BOI since I was in school I made the decision to move to Ulster Bank in October last year as BOI could not offer me a suitable alternative when I canceled by credit card with them. (Laser is useless for online use)

Its an awful shame, I never had any issues with BOI customer service wise but it seems in this situation you didn't listen to customers and you've missed the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

For those moving to UB, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. UB customer service is appalling. It's based in the UK where you always spend the first part of the call explaining that your account is not in Pounds.

If you try to call the branch you get through to a call centre in Belfast who can only take messages that don't get returned.

Their fraud team recharged a fraudulent visa debit transaction to my current account without notifying me.

When I closed my credit card account they got a collection agency to chase me over an invalid 15 euro interest charge that I had correctly disputed. They used to call me several times a week even though I told them I never had any intention of paying it. They eventually relented when I started a complaint with the Financial Regulator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    For those moving to UB, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. UB customer service is appalling. It's based in the UK where you always spend the first part of the call explaining that your account is not in Pounds.

If you try to call the branch you get through to a call centre in Belfast who can only talk messages that don't get returned.

Em, I don't know who you've been calling, but that's absolutely never been my experience :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

bluewolf wrote: »
    Em, I don't know who you've been calling, but that's absolutely never been my experience :confused:

Maybe you're not familiar with UB's structure but it's a tiny part of RBS, one of the biggest banks in the world and they run most of their admin from centralised locations outside the jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Neo_g2001

A little birdie tells me that if you "Lose" your laser card now you may have a shiny new BOI visa debit before you know it....

Any Link to that little birdies info?

Hi all,

If you lose your Laser card, it won't be replaced with a new Visa Debit card at the moment. You will be re-issued a Laser card with a charge of €5.90.
    when the roll-out happens you will automatically get replacement Visa Debit cards for which there will be no charge.

Once the roll-out officially starts, if your Laser card is reported lost/stolen or it's broken, we will re-issue you with a shiny new Visa Debit card. Again the card replacement charge of €5.90 will apply.

Hope this helps in clearing it up,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Neo_g2001

Hi Graham,

Did the roll out not start in January?

• Advertisement

Hi Neo_g2001,

As per my previous post:
    we are expecting to start distributing our new Visa Debit cards at the beginning of June. We anticipate this roll-out will take approximately 6 months, due to the high number of cards involved.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Hey Guys,

Are you doing VISA Debits cards yet? Unable to get into a branch easily due to work schedule.

If so are their any requirements to get the VISA debit card?

Thanks in advance,

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Oppsie, nevermind! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

BOI seem to have started posting out Visa Debits, friend of mine got one Friday just gone.

Hi Neo_g2001,

As per my previous post:

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

Do we have to apply for a VISA Debit card or will all Laser card holders be automatically upgraded when their card comes up for renewal?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Question for ya Graham!

I'm still only rockin' an ATM card and never had a laser(far too convenient in the past being a student with a finite amount of funds)
    When would you think it'd be best for me to apply for one?

Hi ..Brian..,

No need to apply for a Visa Debit card if you've currently got a Laser.
    when the roll-out happens you will automatically get replacement Visa Debit cards for which there will be no charge.

Thanks,
    Graham

Hi stevenf17,

Our switch from Laser to Visa Debit cards is just around the corner. If you still have a student account, you should've already received a letter of consent to upgrade to Visa Debit. If your account is a standard current account, your ATM card will automatically be replaced with a Visa Debit.

Depending on how soon you need a debit card, you do have 2 other options;

1. You can apply now to upgrade your ATM card to a Laser (which will in turn be replaced by Visa Debit).

2. Wait until the roll-out has started and then apply to upgrade to a Visa Debit card.

To apply for a card upgrade you need to fill out and submit a Card Application Form in a branch. All card upgrades are subject to approval and take about 5 working days to process.

If you have any other questions please ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Got my visa debit today:) Was goin to open up an Ulsterbank ac next week after hearing nothing for months about gettin a card, suppose I wont have to now.

Advertisement