Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congenital joint laxity and dwarfism

Options
  • 02-03-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Anyone had "Congenital joint laxity and dwarfismin" in their suckler calves or heard of this happening to anyone before.

A friend of mine has just started calving and it looks like he is going to have a problem with this.

Any information or insight appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

hammer73 wrote: »
    Anyone had "Congenital joint laxity and dwarfismin" in their suckler calves or heard of this happening to anyone before.

A friend of mine has just started calving and it looks like he is going to have a problem with this.

Any information or insight appreciated

We had one last year. There's not really much you can do. Feed more concentrates next year during the first trimester of pregnancy and be there for when the cow calves. Ours couldn't stand on its own for a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I remember reading in the journal that it had something to do with silage being too leafy rather than stemmy. Not enough fibre in the diet at the critical pregnancy stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Karen I think it's a mineral def in the middle tri-mester of pregnancy that causes it? Greysides on here should be able to help us.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Karen I think it's a mineral def in the middle tri-mester of pregnancy that causes it? Greysides on here should be able to help us.

I could be wrong with the stage of it. I just was in a hurry and that came to mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

While the exact cause of dwarfism has not been discovered

This is a quote from an article in the IFJ, probably the article alluded to above.

The article can be found here.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Might I ask, in this condition do calves exhibit both the dwarfism and joint laxity?

Three calves this year at home bad on the front joints, from birth, unable to get up and suckle but motor well after a few days. None dwarfs, in fact all serious calves. Is there a link with selenium deficiency in a case like this?
    I've more questions than answers here!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Might I ask, in this condition do calves exhibit both the dwarfism and joint laxity?

Three calves this year at home bad on the front joints, from birth, unable to get up and suckle but motor well after a few days. None dwarfs, in fact all serious calves. Is there a link with selenium deficiency in a case like this?
    I've more questions than answers here!

Any of them lie like a dog after birth? Ours lay with her front legs straight out from her.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Bizzum wrote: »

I've only seen one outbreak of this, but 'yes'. It's a shades of grey situation. Some calves are small but viable- quite close to normal, others won't ever stand.

Sounds more like Contracted Tendons, cause also uncertain. Possibly Selenium deficiency, possibly BVD involved; probably other associations too.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Karen112 wrote: »
    Any of them lie like a dog after birth? Ours lay with her front legs straight out from her.

One of them still does. Funny looking sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

I've been having 1 or 2 cases for the last 4 or 5 years. Dwarfed and also the bottom half of the legs sort of bowed forward. Thought it was to do with BVD as I had problems with that too. Vet said it was due to inadequate uptake of manganese. They were on silage(good quality) only. Calves lived and went ahead but never amounted to much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Pre-calving minerals - Anyone have doubts that they're a waste of time and money now ???

Advertisement