Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby lives 45 minutes after legal abortion in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Unless it should be considered against the law which could be possible in the case of a late term abortion. Frankly speaking, I dont care much either way. The Planet is over populated as it is. An ex girlfriend of mine had a big group of Friends WHO would go for the morning after pill and give her address and found that funny...I dont like the fact that these measures can be exploited by brats like that but oh well. Irish society had taken a big slide in recent years anyway

You would rather they procreate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Millicent wrote: »
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    Unless it should be considered against the law which could be possible in the case of a late term abortion. Frankly speaking, I dont care much either way. The Planet is over populated as it is. An ex girlfriend of mine had a big group of Friends WHO would go for the morning after pill and give her address and found that funny...I dont like the fact that these measures can be exploited by brats like that but oh well. Irish society had taken a big slide in recent years anyway

You would rather they procreate?

Was thinking more that Id rather If they had a sense of responsibility and some self worth..I dont care much If they use the pill but nobody should be cavalier about. Hopefully they just get syphllis and die instead. Life lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Do a belief that life begins at conception and a pro-choice stance have to be mutually incompatible?

I'm pro-choice but I also believe that life begins at conception. It's quite undeveloped of course, but human life it is. I think if we somehow had never come up with the concept, we'd never be splitting hairs about when exactly human life begins. Sure, there's a big difference between a person at one week and at twenty-eight weeks, but I don't we need to look for a cut-off point between non-human life and human life.

I believe that abortion, including late-term abortions in exceptional circumstances, should be available to all women.
    I think that rather than trying to argue whether either a child or a clump of cells is aborted, we should acknowledge that a life is ended, but still justify it, by weighing up the rights of the foetus/embryo/clump of cells and its experience of life to date, with the rights and experience of life of the mother.
    What's being ended is an undeveloped life with no real experience of any substance, and ideally, little or no awareness or sensitivity.
    We weigh this up against the mother's right not to have the child for whatever reasons such as not being able to provide a strong environment for it, the situation of conception, health risks to one or both, her suitability as a mother etc, and I think few people would argue against ending the brief, undeveloped, inexperienced life.

I think many pro-choice people don't talk in such terms as it seems to be straying towards moral relativism and it's based upon weighing up the rights of one person against another, which doesn't sit too well with many people's consciences. Therefore people make as many arguments as possible for why the aborted foetus isn't really a life, as that makes the issue more black and white, which is also how our brains tend to work. We instinctively tend to see things, initially at least, as either right or wrong.
    But the world isn't based on such binary oppositions, and it presents us with more complex issues like this which we tend to try to see as right or wrong.

But I think the pro-choice side would be more persuasive overall if more people were to say "Look, we don't have to keep coming up with arguments for why it's not really a life that's being ended. Abortion does involve ending a life, which isn't ideal, but it's an underdeveloped one with no real experience, and the mother's rights trump those of the child at that stage. Now you could argue that the rights of a mother trump a five-year old, for example, but that's why most countries that legalise abortion also have an upper limit that stops the abortion of more developed foetuses/children, except in certain cases where the life of one or both is threatened, for example."

I'm sure there are some holes in my argument that some better-informed, or at least less-tired people can point out, but I still think that a more nuanced, honest approach similar to the above would be beneficial to pro-choice believers overall and make them more convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Seachmall: Yes, it is a human life. It's formed of human ova and sperm. I've asked you repeatedly as to how it isn't human.

I've answered this very question multiple times on this thread already if you search back. It is you who has not answered me yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

philologos wrote: »
    Seachmall: Yes, it is a human life. It's formed of human ova and sperm. I've asked you repeatedly as to how it isn't human.

I've answered this very question multiple times on this thread already if you search back. It is you who has not answered me yet.

A human life is one that could, even if born extremely prematurely, eventually survive.

A fertilised egg, embryo, early stage foetus are not a human life (yet).

• Advertisement

ebixa82 wrote: »

A human life is one that could, even if born extremely prematurely, eventually survive.

A fertilised egg, embryo, early stage foetus are not a human life (yet).
    This simply isn't true biologically. Growth and development are intrinsically attached to the concept of life. That begins at conception.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'm asking specifically about the biological term.

• All humans are animals.
    • All animals are organisms.
    Therefore,
    • All humans are organisms.

Do you agree with that deduction?
    I'm assuming your question that I haven't answered is "How can life formed of a human sperm and a human ova be anything but human?"

I haven't addressed it because A) my point about it not being human in the biological sense nullifies the question and B) it's not up to me to disprove your claim of it being human (it's up to you to prove it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

How can something qualify as a human life when it retains the possibility of splitting into two or more parts? Whatever it is that makes us human, it absolutely is not there at the moment of conception, or else identical twins are only half of a person. The existence of monozygotic twins means it's factually impossible for a newly formed embryo to be a human life in any understood meaning of the phrase. If an embryo can still split into two parts, it is manifestly not yet a human life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's not a human. It's a template for forming a human. Hence it can be used to create one human, two humans, even multiple humans. The same template exists in every cell of your body yet we don't go shouting "murderer" every time someone cuts their fingernails or exfoliates or whatever.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    It's not a human. It's a template for forming a human. Hence it can be used to create one human, two humans, even multiple humans. The same template exists in every cell of your body yet we don't go shouting "murderer" every time someone cuts their fingernails or exfoliates or whatever.

One can say it's a template, but honestly that's disingenuous. I find the whole pro-choice approach to this argument to be dishonest.

What is biologically formed of human ova, and sperm is human. It would be absurd to say that it is anything else.

Also, what grows, and develops as a biologically unique organism as a result of being formed of these constituent parts to birth, childhood, adolescence, adulthood and death is a life.

It's not that difficult. A pro-choice person earlier in the thread had at least the honesty to claim that was destroying life. Although I profoundly disagree with them, at least they were honest about it. I respect that in and of itself.
    How can something qualify as a human life when it retains the possibility of splitting into two or more parts? Whatever it is that makes us human, it absolutely is not there at the moment of conception, or else identical twins are only half of a person. The existence of monozygotic twins means it's factually impossible for a newly formed embryo to be a human life in any understood meaning of the phrase. If an embryo can still split into two parts, it is manifestly not yet a human life.

I don't see how that is "manifest".

What is manifest is that the embryo is a life. Dead things don't grow, dead things don't develop in the same way as an embryo does.

What is manifest is that the embryo as an individual person is biologically unique from its parent and from any other.

Unless we're willing to change the whole definition of life for the sake of this argument, it's pretty clear at least to me that this understanding you present is mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

What is manifest is that the embryo is a life. Dead things don't grow, dead things don't develop in the same way as an embryo does.

What is manifest is that the embryo as an individual person is biologically unique from its parent and from any other.

Unless we're willing to change the whole definition of life for the sake of this argument, it's pretty clear at least to me that this understanding you present is mistaken.

The embryo is not an individual person; that's not a position or an argument, that's basic logic. Given any sensible definition of "individual" (based as it is on the idea of being indivisible), something that can still end up becoming two or more human beings is logically incapable of being a human being itself. Given that a single embryo can split and subsequently become two lives, only two options are possible:

1. People born of the same embryo - monozygotic siblings - are less than a whole individual person and only add up to one person.

2. Whatever it is that defines a life as something separate to a living collection of cells is not present at the moment of conception.

I literally cannot see a way around this that doesn't involve an appeal to time travel. Either a person is formed at the moment of conception and therefore identical twins are one half of a person each, or identical twins are separate and whole human beings and therefore whatever it is that defines them as separate and whole human beings was not present when the implanted embryo split in two.

One can say it's a template, but honestly that's disingenuous. I find the whole pro-choice approach to this argument to be dishonest.

What is biologically formed of human ova, and sperm is human. It would be absurd to say that it is anything else.

Also, what grows, and develops as a biologically unique organism as a result of being formed of these constituent parts to birth, childhood, adolescence, adulthood and death is a life.

It's not that difficult. A pro-choice person earlier in the thread had at least the honesty to claim that was destroying life. Although I profoundly disagree with them, at least they were honest about it. I respect that in and of itself.

In your accusations of pro-choicers being disingenuous you are willfully rejecting scientific fact and continue to use a term which you either fail to understand or intentionally misuse.

You are being disingenuous.

This, for me, isn't a question of pro-choice/pro-life anymore. You are throwing accusations around that you are guilty of. You refuse to accept this which completely devalues any argument you may be able to present as you have demonstrated you are incapable of taking an objective and unbiased position.

If you want to address my deduction above I'll respond, otherwise I'm done.

No, I'm not rejecting "scientific fact". It is clearly wrong to say that the foetus is not a human life. It is the pro-choice side of the argument who are clearly denying that a life formed of a human sperm and ova is human life at all. That's simply a lie.

You're usually intellectually honest, but in this case many on the pro-choice side need to suppress the truth in respect to what is human, and what is alive. Those are fundamentals.

Again - What other species is a human foetus (formed of human sperm and ova) other than a human?

Again - How is the embryo dead, if it is grows and develops through life to birth, childhood, adolescence, adulthood and ultimately death?

By the by, there are plenty of medical arguments for conception as the beginning of life.

Again - What other species is a human foetus (formed of human sperm and ova) other than a human?
    "Species" is a term used to classify organisms.

It's not an organism.
    It's not a species of animal.
    It's not an animal.
    It's not a human.

It's a cellular structure.
    Again - How is the embryo dead, if it is grows and develops through life to birth, childhood, adolescence, adulthood and ultimately death?
    Nobody suggested it was dead.
    By the by, there are plenty of medical arguments for conception as the beginning of life.
    That link also provides satisfactory counter-arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

No, I'm not rejecting "scientific fact". It is clearly wrong to say that the foetus is not a human life. It is the pro-choice side of the argument who are clearly denying that a life formed of a human sperm and ova is human life at all. That's simply a lie.

You're usually intellectually honest, but in this case many on the pro-choice side need to suppress the truth in respect to what is human, and what is alive. Those are fundamentals.

It maybe the beginning of the process to life but it is not really a life, its a collection of developing cells, so it has the potential to be a human life and it certainly is not conscious on any level.

So what the anti-choice people should be asserting is after conception a human life may happen, the fertilized egg has to get through the first hurdle and go through the greatest abortion clinic and that is the womans body.

So if you choose to see a fertilized egg as a human life, that is absurd.

No, it's alive. It's alive because it is a unique biological entity formed of human sperm and ova which grows and develops through to birth, childhood, adolescence and death. As far as I can tell it is dishonest to argue otherwise. Another pro-choice / pro-abortion person has argued on this thread that it is the killing of an unborn child. I respect that honesty even if I disagree with their position. I respect that they didn't feel that they had to lie to argue for their position.

If you find biological reality to be absurd, that is your choice, not mine.

Says the man rejecting biological fact...

Jesus Christ, this frustrating.

Seachmall: I know, it is frustrating. It's not just frustrating but tragic, how people choose to deny the truth to justify abortion.

Seachmall: I know, it is frustrating. It's not just frustrating but tragic, how people choose to deny the truth to justify abortion.

Now I know you're trolling.

Back against the wall; begin the troll.

The thing is, it's hardly trolling to simply point out that human life begins clearly at conception. You've conceded that it is life, but bizarrely you've stepped back from saying it is human despite the fact that it is precisely human in so far as it is a human embryo. What else is it? What other species?

• Advertisement

No, it's alive. It's alive because it is a unique biological entity formed of human sperm and ova which grows and develops through to birth, childhood, adolescence and death. As far as I can tell it is dishonest to argue otherwise. Another pro-choice / pro-abortion person has argued on this thread that it is the killing of an unborn child. I respect that honesty even if I disagree with their position. I respect that they didn't feel that they had to lie to argue for their position.

But you anti choice/ pro womens servitude to an unwanted pregnancy, see it that way, it maybe a unique clump of cells but so are all clumps of cells. It may develop to birth adolescence and death, but that certainly is not certain. If that clump of cells is aborted you are only aborting a collection of cells, nothing else.

The thing is, it's hardly trolling to simply point out that human life begins clearly at conception. You've conceded that it is life, but bizarrely you've stepped back from saying it is human despite the fact that it is precisely human in so far as it is a human embryo. What else is it? What other species?

Actually I stated it was life from the get-go, I've not conceded anything.

A human, by definition, is an organism. A cellular cluster is not an organism. Arguing it is is the equivalent to arguing rock is a liquid.

It is not any species as it has not reached a point that it can be classified as one.

Simply put you are using terms you don't understand.

Again Seachmall:
    Conception, or fertilisation, the fusion of gametes to produce a new organism.

As far as I can tell, this is clear denial, and unless you're going to at least concede this, then I'm happy to leave it here with you.

44leto: I am a clump of cells, and so are you. I don't suggest that I should take your life, and I would hope that you wouldn't suggest that you should take mine as a matter of choice.

Again Seachmall:

And a new organism is produced.

But not instantaneously.

A blastocyst is a cell (or a structure of cells). Not an organism.

Seachmall: I'm happy to leave it here with you. It's beggars belief that you can't see that the human biological material that forms an embryo must be alive in order to grow and develop towards birth, childhood, adolescence, adulthood and death. How can an inanimate dead object do this?

Seachmall: I'm happy to leave it here with you. It's beggars belief that you can't see that the human biological material that forms an embryo must be alive in order to grow and develop towards birth, childhood, adolescence, adulthood and death. How can an inanimate dead object do this?

It beggars belief that you can't see that is not a certainty.

44leto wrote: »
    It beggars belief that you can't see that is not a certainty.

Life is a biological concept. It's not an "opinion".

Seachmall: I'm happy to leave it here with you. It's beggars belief that you can't see that the human biological material that forms an embryo must be alive in order to grow and develop towards birth, childhood, adolescence, adulthood and death.

Once again: I never claimed it wasn't alive and I never claimed it wasn't composed of human biological material.

I correctly claimed it does not qualify to meet the definition of an organism or, in turn, a human.

If you want to leave it there I'm happy to but please don't be so condescending.

Seachmall wrote: »
    If you want to leave it there I'm happy to but please don't be so condescending.

My intention isn't to be condescending. I have a lot of respect for you, but on this issue you're really not using logic. In fact you're probably one of the posters on boards.ie I respect the most, but on this issue you're letting your usual standards down.

As for the term organism. It's not true human life must have organs. Your point is based on development now, rather than what is or what is not a human life. I could by similar logic, declare that a three year old is not alive, because it can't juggle 752 pears, while playing the trombone whilst riding a unicycle. That's arbitrary, and certainly isn't fact.

The reason I'm leaving it there is because it's better to end somewhere rather than go around in circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Seachmall wrote: »

My intention isn't to be condescending. I have a lot of respect for you, but on this issue you're really not using logic. In fact you're probably one of the posters on boards.ie I respect the most, but on this issue you're letting your usual standards down.

As for the term organism. It's not true human life must have organs. Your point is based on development now, rather than what is or what is not a human life.

The reason I'm leaving it there is because it's better to end somewhere rather than go around in circles.

Just because they dont agree with you ? :/

Advertisement