Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

RichieC wrote: »
    From your biased position, every criticism of Christianity will indeed fall flat. on that we agree.

i dont think you are getting it!

He is saying from his experience of numerous points raised they all fall flat on their face when subjected to reason. His argument is based on logic reason and experience and not on blind faith. It is YOU who are saying you are ignorant of the actual field and who are arguing from ignorance.

There /is/ much to criticise, though. I don't think Joe is ignorant of Christianity, he was raised, like me, by Christian parents as a Catholic.

We can only go by what he states. He stated he hadent read the bible.
    By the way this is part of the reason i point to the philosophy 101 types. they seem to think that Christianity is only about the Bible. that would be a rather Protestant leaning. It may be that they think Christianity is fundamentalist biblical US interpretations which are certainly an easy target to attack but represent a tiny minority of fringe Christianity if Christian at all.

Y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_religion#Suppression_of_scientific_progress

What nonsense. Developments in Science and Christianity are practically married since Thomas Aquinas.
    If there is anything about Atheism which you find regressive, please tell me.

how about moral relativism and the fact that all atheistic societies in history were murder regimes that produced nothing but piles of skulls and economic decline as opposed to christian countries that developed science economics and civilization?
    Furthermore, just listening to the vitriol spewed from the mouths of christians, directed at homosexuals, is enough to sicken any pragmatic person. It is utterly childish and they should be embarrassed. It is 'hateful speech' and 'threats of hell' which will help turn many more away. (Aside from the other 'troubles' the church is dealing trying not to deal with.

that is about as anti christian as the so called christian hate mongers who spêw such vitriol! i,m not surprised your philosophy 101 arguments have developed into "christians are anti science" or "christians hate homosexuals"

Whatever next?

Claims God in the Bible commands his people to rape?
    Claims the Bible demands the Earth is several thousand years old?*

We have had all the smart ass student philosophy 101 stuff already.
    Try learning something and producing an actual plausible argument that hasent been demolished years ago eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

ISAW wrote: »
    i dont think you are getting it!

He is saying from his experience of numerous points raised they all fall flat on their face when subjected to reason. His argument is based on logic reason and experience and not on blind faith. It is YOU who are saying you are ignorant of the actual field and who are arguing from ignorance.

Blind faith by very definition cannot be based on logic or reason. It's called a faith for a reason. Believing in it so so deep seated in the psyche that your brain will reject any argument against it.

What I see a lot is Christians using the old argument of us Atheists being ignorant of Christianity. Very well, I don't claim to be a theology student.

My argument starts and ends at the question of a supreme creator of everything. the topic of this thread, BTW. I do not need to read every religious text in the world to come to the conclusion that it is not all that likely.

I do not accept a religious persons claims that they are arguing from logic. they are not. you are not. you are defending an ideology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 La Petite Fleur

My argument starts and ends at the question of a supreme creator of everything. the topic of this thread, BTW. I do not need to read every religious text in the world to come to the conclusion that it is not all that likely.

I do not accept a religious persons claims that they are arguing from logic. they are not. you are not. you are defending an ideology.

Im afraid it is not as cut and dry, and black and white as that. If only it were.

As a starting point 'God' can be considered an infinite spirit. Without any irrefutable evidence either way, it is certainly very logical to rationalise that some sort of infinite spirit could exist, either on a purely physical level, or a metaphysical level, or both. Once you have clearly established that there is no irrefutable evidence for either existance or non existance, then you can move onto personally deciding that, on the balance of probabilty, that such a spirit probably does exist, or probably does not exist. That's what you call a logical and rational decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Blind faith by very definition cannot be based on logic or reason. It's called a faith for a reason. Believing in it so so deep seated in the psyche that your brain will reject any argument against it.

Please let's not start the 'blind faith' nonsense again. Another poster, many pages back in this thread, made similar misrepresentations. Do we have to keep going round in circles? :(

Christian faith is not blind faith. Christian faith means to trust and follow Christ based on our assessment of the evidence available to us, but lacking definitive 100% proof. It is the same kind of reasoning on which people make other major decisions such as who to marry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

PDN wrote: »
    Please let's not start the 'blind faith' nonsense again. Another poster, many pages back in this thread, made similar misrepresentations. Do we have to keep going round in circles? :(

Christian faith is not blind faith. Christian faith means to trust and follow Christ based on our assessment of the evidence available to us, but lacking definitive 100% proof. It is the same kind of reasoning on which people make other major decisions such as who to marry etc.

It appears that we do PDN, and not just on this topic. In the last analysis belief is an act of faith lacking as you say 100% proof.

It is not so for an atheist I would think .

It is not the same reasoning as marriage at all- how can it be ? For a non believer it may possibly be so as to him or her that is just another decision, albeit an important one.

But the existence of God to a believer surely is just on another scale as to be beyond comparision. One can walk away from a entering a marriage but to walk away from a call from God is not possible without dire consequences ( for a believer) or so I would have thought .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

One can walk away from a entering a marriage but to walk away from a call from God is not possible without dire consequences ( for a believer) or so I would have thought .
    Marienbad if you remove the bit in bold it better reflects the feelings of this believer. I imagine it's the same for others. I have known people who lost faith so its possible but as Beckett said "God? He doesn't exist. The Bastard"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Anyone who has rejected God faces the consequences of rejecting Him. Everyone who rejects Him faces this. There will be a judgement for all humanity. Christians have already accepted Jesus as their Lord and as a result have been saved by His grace.

PDN is saying essentially that through the world around us, and through looking at the Bible, we can see God's faithfulness around us, we can see how the world shows signs of God's work, in how we operate as human beings, and also in the mere idea of existence itself. We can also look very clearly to the history of Jesus, the early Christian church, archaeology amongst a lot of other things to see how Christianity conforms to reality.

We've not been left without any scrape of a reason for believing in Jesus irrespective as to how much people would like to think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

philologos;
    We've not been left without any scrape of a reason for believing in Jesus irrespective as to how much people would like to think so.
    Some can rationalize this evidence away as we see form this thread, at the end of the day some 'leap of faith' is involved or are you sugesting works? ;)

• Advertisement

philologos wrote: »
    Anyone who has rejected God faces the consequences of rejecting Him. Everyone who rejects Him faces this. There will be a judgement for all humanity. Christians have already accepted Jesus as their Lord and as a result have been saved by His grace.

PDN is saying essentially that through the world around us, and through looking at the Bible, we can see God's faithfulness around us, we can see how the world shows signs of God's work, in how we operate as human beings, and also in the mere idea of existence itself. We can also look very clearly to the history of Jesus, the early Christian church, archaeology amongst a lot of other things to see how Christianity conforms to reality.

I see no evidence of a creator looking around this planet. none at all. I see barley controlled Chaos. Selfish exploitation, starving humans and the threat of an all out war. I see some of the most guilty countries of the above also being some of the most religious.

We have explained how we as a race and all other animals came about without requiring a creator. It's simply not needed as an explanation any more.

Once we saw lighting, volcanoes, earthquakes and storms as gods wrath, now we know what they are. We have a fairly robust explanation for how the universe began, though, unlike religion, it's open to revision and correction.

You see god everywhere, it's understandable as you have obviously invested a lot of time to your faith. It is not however some self evident fact that I just do not get. No amount of reading the bible will make me see the world differently. People who want, or need to find god will find god.

I will not suffer for rejecting one of the religions that happens to be around while I'm on this earth. If I was to fear that wrath I would have to pray to every god currently praised and every god ever to be invented in human history. I like to enjoy myself so I do not dedicate time to pleasing other peoples imaginations. It's simply not an option.

I see no evidence of a creator looking around this planet. none at all. I see barley controlled Chaos. Selfish exploitation, starving humans and the threat of an all out war. I see some of the most guilty countries of the above also being some of the most religious.

We have explained how we as a race and all other animals came about without requiring a creator. It's simply not needed as an explanation any more.

Once we saw lighting, volcanoes, earthquakes and storms as gods wrath, now we know what they are. We have a fairly robust explanation for how the universe began, though, unlike religion, it's open to revision and correction.

You see god everywhere, it's understandable as you have obviously invested a lot of time to your faith. It is not however some self evident fact that I just do not get. No amount of reading the bible will make me see the world differently. People who want, or need to find god will find god.

I will not suffer for rejecting one of the religions that happens to be around while I'm on this earth. If I was to fear that wrath I would have to pray to every god currently praised and every god ever to be invented in human history. I like to enjoy myself so I do not dedicate time to pleasing other peoples imaginations. It's simply not an option.

That's fine, so you reach a position (atheism) by faith. We all assess evidence differently.

I don't know if a leap is involved so much. As much as I like Soren Kierkegaard who came up with that idea, I don't believe it's an accurate representation of what Christianity is like. Paul in Romans tells us that by the very Creation itself God has made Himself evident to us (Romans 1:20). I believe that Christianity makes better sense of reality than other forms of thought, including atheism.

Christianity presents the world as fallen through sin. There's plenty of evidence of that around us. Pick up a newspaper tomorrow morning and read through it, and see if you can't find me anything evil in there. I know that looking back through my life, I can't say that I'm entirely pure of what is evil. Indeed John tells us in one of his letters that anyone who does claim this makes God out to be a liar (1 John 1:10).

We can see evidence of God's existence in pondering the question of who made us and why we are here. We can also see evidence of God's existence in how ethical action works. We largely work on universal ethical propositions of right and wrong, even if we claim to deny this. If we are wronged, we don't claim that the person might think he is right, we claim that they have wronged us. We presume that it is objectively clear that this is so. This is reason to believe that God has given us a conscience in common, we expect that the other knows what is good, and what is evil for this reason.

God has given us an abundance of evidence through archaeological sites in the Biblical texts agreeing with His word, through historical events external to the Bible agreeing largely with His word, and people largely agreeing with His word. God has also given us an abundance of reasons to believe and trust in Him due to Him making Jesus manifest. We have Old Testament prophesy telling us of Jesus' life about 600 years before it happened. We have several historical accounts of Jesus' life external to the Bible.

God has given us good reason to trust in the death and resurrection of Jesus through the history of the early church. Why would the disciples after Jesus' death simply go around claiming that Jesus had rose from the dead if it hadn't happened? Why would they risk death in Asia Minor for a lie? We are told that there were up to 500 witnesses of the risen Jesus, were they all deluded?

We also have the case for the authenticity of God's word. Could it all be fiction? Arguably, but if one works through Paul's narrative as a convert in Galatians as to how he became a Christian, and given how consistent his letters are with Gospel events it seems unlikely. If you do the maths from Paul's life in Galatians 1 and 2 and then compare it with Jesus' death and resurrection it is striking how similar Paul's account of Christianity is with other accounts of Christianity. It leaves very little time for the Apostles before him to conjure together an elaborate tale. It also leaves very little reason to go out and risk death.

Also, another reason why I regard the New Testament as being reliable is simply because of how honest it is. It isn't written by people who wish to lord their authority over the world. The Gospels present the disciples in a humbling light. As people who are largely clueless about the big picture until the end. People who are stubborn and divisive and people who are sinners just like you and I. The Gospels also present some things which would have been embarrassing in Jewish and Roman society, such as women being the first to the tomb. This wouldn't be a detail that you would have included to present Christianity in the best way to Jewish and Roman people. The alternative is that it is true.

There are plenty of reasons to believe in Jesus if we're just simply willing to look into it. His word is faithful and accurate to this day. We can be thankful for that in the 21st century that God's word still holds up strongly. I care about it and I long for it to prosper, I believe it presents a more honest and reasonable narrative than anything any new-atheist can ever offer me. It is a life transforming truth that will change our lives forever if we accept it. Jesus gave us a new relationship with God so that we can live for Him and dwell with Him for eternity. That's incredible, and there's plenty of reason to believe it.

RichieC: You mention war. Jesus very clearly mentions that in the time between His death and His return that there would be wars, and rumours of wars, famines, etc. These things shouldn't surprise Christians, because they are signs leading up to the point in time when Jesus will return to judge, and usher in the new Creation. The very fact that these things happen, are a sign that Jesus' return is immanent, and that there will be judgement.

philologos wrote: »
    I don't know if a leap is involved so much.

More of a step really.

That's fine, so you reach a position (atheism) by faith. We all assess evidence differently.

You may twist it anyway you like. My stance is not a rejection of god so much as not taking is seriously enough to merit a belief.

I take the fact that so many people believ in it serious

We are not born believing in god only to reject it later on. It is an idea, or meme which we are forced by coercion and propaganda into having to take seriously.

"it's a faith that there is no god" - it's simply flawed logic, and manipulating the debate in a way that stacks it in your favour.

Again, I say. It is not a default human condition to be faithful to a god. One can actually easily dismiss ideas that are just beyond the scope of reality. Is it faith I do not believe in UFOs? Thor? Santa Clause?

RichieC: The thing is all I've ever seen from your posts is just moaning about Christianity. Nothing you've presented actually gives me a positive reason as to why I should be an atheist rather than follow another religion. Even then, I haven't seen much that would devastate my Christian faith into pieces. Yet, throughout the years, there have been a lot of Christians offering positive reasons for why they believe in Jesus and trust in Him.

It seems a little bit disproportionate. The more and more I go on the less and less satisfied I am in the new-atheist cop out (and it is fairly recent - within the last decade) that the burden is not on them. However, if they want to convince me to become an atheist and reject Christianity, to a certain degree the burden is on you to convince me that God is a fable. Much of the new-atheist argument is simply repeating what they claim ad-infinitum without any positive contribution to the argument. E.G God doesn't exist, God's a fable, God's a delusion, God's like Santa for grown ups. The big question is Why is He any of these things? Answers are forthcoming on those really.

We are not born believing in god only to reject it later on. It is an idea, or meme which we are forced by coercion and propaganda into having to take seriously.

So I abandoned atheism (enforced on me as a child) and chose to become a Christian. And you, with some wonderful wishful thinking, ascribe that to coercion and propaganda? :rolleyes:

I do not ask that you give up your faith, nor even want you too. I recognise that it can be beneficial to those who need it.

It's not just Christianity anyway. It is all religions. I don't consider any of them above the other.

The burden of proof is on the religious. Nothing you say can change that. It is you making the grand suggestion that there is an infinite wisdom, timeless master of the entire universe. I am simply rejecting that premise, why do you think the Burden of proof is on me?

Proof of Jesus existing is no proof of God either. there's far more proof that Mohammed existed, does that make the Qur'an true?

So I abandoned atheism (enforced on me as a child) and chose to become a Christian. And you, with some wonderful wishful thinking, ascribe that to coercion and propaganda? :rolleyes:

Well the atheism was enforced on you. so evidently, yes.

Well the atheism was enforced on you. so evidently, yes.

Faced with such 'logic' I won't even attempt to take this further.

Good night!

• Advertisement

People who want, or need to find god will find god.

I don't agree. I hear this myth and blanket assumption regarding 'need' from atheists a lot. To be totally honest, I didn't need belief in God in any shape or form, my life would have been so much simpler and less restrictive if I could have become a full blown Atheist, but once having examined all the arguments, I personally, for me, could not find, and have still yet to see presented, any convincing rational logical reason, never mind evidence to come to the conclusion that God cannot exist. (Quite the contrary for me in fact). Just in the exact same way you have come the the counter conclusion and counter belief for yourself. I'm sure you did'nt need to disbelieve in the possibity of God, or be an Atheist. You've arrived at that conclusion for yourself.

I don't agree. I hear this myth and blanket assumption regarding 'need' from atheists a lot. To be totally honest, I didn't need belief in God in any shape or form, my life would have been so much simpler and less restrictive if I could have become a full blown Atheist, but once having examined all the arguments, I personally, for me, could not find, and have still yet to see presented, any convincing rational logical reason, never mind evidence to come to the conclusion that God cannot exist. (Quite the contrary for me in fact). Just in the exact same way you have come the the counter conclusion and counter belief for yourself. I'm sure you did'nt need to disbelieve in the possibity of God, or be an Atheist. You've arrived at that conclusion for yourself.

I notice you use an unusual phrasing -''evidence to come to the conclusion than God cannot exist''. What does that mean ? It can be applied to anything. Christianity Islam Shamanism .

I don't think atheism comes to a counter conclusion , it takes the available evidence and comes to a conclusion , which is constantly modified as more information comes to light. Nowhere in that journey is there evidence of the existence of a god.

No matter how you cut it you cannot prove that God exists, sooner or later you must take a leap (a step according to PDN) of faith.

That fact that atheism cannot prove God does not exist is irrelevant

marienbad wrote: »
    That fact that atheism cannot prove God does not exist is irrelevant

It is very relevant. Never mind proof, if Atheism could just offer me a single convincing argument to support it's beliefs (dis beliefs, or whatever term you prefer), never mind a shred of evidence, that an infinite spirit cannot exist, I would quite happily take a step, leap of faith etc. to become an Atheist instead. I am one very small biological being, and, never mind the metaphysical, there is at least one extremely large universe (where the law of physics has proved, energy cannot be created or destroyed) and perhaps multiverse / multi demension out there as well. Each of us have to be true to our own conscience when considering the laws of probability.

It is very relevant. Never mind proof, if Atheism could just offer me a single convincing argument to support it's beliefs (dis beliefs, or whatever term you prefer), never mind a shred of evidence, that an infinite spirit cannot exist, I would quite happily take a step, leap of faith etc. to become an Atheist instead. I am one very small biological being, and, never mind the metaphysical, there is at least one extremely large universe (where the law of physics has proved, energy cannot be created or destroyed) and perhaps multiverse / multi demension out there as well. Each of us have to be true to our own conscience when considering the laws of probability.

It is you making the grand claim. As I said to Phil, the burden of proof is on you. Frankly, though, I really do not care if you're religious or not. I have nothing to prove, literally.

You overate the powers of atheism - it is the belief in the non exixtance of God or Gods- the end. After that you can believe in anything you wish ,with just one exception-the belief in God.

Here is a little ditty to the choices facing atheists and theists

You can try for secularisim-totalitarism
    become a veggie,a vegan- even a pagan,
    but not the ones that belives in a sprite
    But you can't believe in God of Light
    According to the Book of The Propher ISAW
    Become a dictator and elimate the creator
    Burn churches rape nuns, alas to heaven they go
    while you most certainly will be be left below

To those that believe - they are offered a lot
    a guarantee to avoid that place that is hot
    To those that refuse to bend the knee
    the face of God never to see

to those that believe that choice is most appealing
    all this and heaven too when you give up on reasoning
    But dont be suprised on entering The Holy City
    to find that we are there because God took pity .

Afterall we followed our concience as we saw fit
    and did what did because it was right
    And not from fear of been denied the Light

It is you making the grand claim. As I said to Phil, the burden of proof is on you. Frankly, though, I really do not care if you're religious or not. I have nothing to prove, literally.

Not at all. This is the Christianity Forum, so if you choose to come in here and tell Christians that God doesn't exist then the burden of proof is on you.

Of course the opposite woul;d be true if I were to start soapboxing in the Atheism and Agnosticism Forum. The burden of proof would be on me to demonstrate that the beliefs of the resident posters were wrong. But if I were to post in there and say, "Go on! Prove that God doesn't exist!" then I would be breaking the cardinal rule of boards.ie - namely 'Don't be a dick.'

do you understand the difference between
    NOT blind faith
    and
    blind faith?
    What I see a lot is Christians using the old argument of us Atheists being ignorant of Christianity. Very well, I don't claim to be a theology student.

i am not interested in "argument from authority" but I am interested in logical and reasonable arguments based on facts. when you gave an opinion about the Bible you admitted it was based on ignorance of the Bible. It is a bit like someone telling you about UFO or how the Laws of physics are wrong but have no idea about physics or about how UFOs might work or from what wlien society they are coming. But they will insist they are rtight and the people who have studied the subject are wrong. Fair enough. Care to SHOW US where we are going wrong?

So what? you dont have to. while it is necessary for debate logic qnd reason is not sufficient for society. We need other things such as values or morals or judgement.
    The societies based on you "there is no god " philosophy all perished after causing genocide and economic collapse and contributing nothing to civilization. christianity thrived and grew and built things and is still around.

And the evidence you have to support this unsupported opinion is....?

Obviously it is very simple to produce a single illogical argument so feel free to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

While ISAW and I are not friends, googling to cherrypick data to suit your viewpoints is a dangerous game, particularly if you are unwilling or unable to read your sources properly.

The report states that, in both 1994/1995 and in 1999/2000 those who gave donations to churches were also more likely to give to non-religious charitiable causes.

It also states that, of those who gave donations, the size of donations given by church donors were larger in the earlier survey but not in the later survey.

The conclusion to be drawn from that is clear:

1. Church donors are more likely to give to non-religious charities than are non-church donors.
    2. Both church donors and non-church donors give pretty much the same size of donations.
    3. Therefore the average church donor gives more to non-religious charities each year than does the non-church donor.

"

Let me try once more to cut and paste the relevant sections from the report which is highly regarded and refers to this country rather than the US which is not relevant to this thread:

Report Quote: "It was expected that households who donate to their church would also donate to charity. In both years households that give to their church are more likely to donate to charity. In 1994/1995, church donors were also likely to donate larger amounts to charity but not in 1999/2000. This may be linked to the declining levels of church attendance over the 1990’s (Eurobarometer)". Page 13,
    Conclusion

Report Quote from Page 14: "In 1994/1995 and 1999/2000, the donors who gave the most included those with higher income, age, education and social status. In 1994/1995, households that gave to their church also gave more to charity. This effect is not present in 1999/2000".

Surely the report is clear that religious are not more likely to be charitable.

From: THE DETERMINANTS OF CHARITABLE DONATIONS IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

ISAW wrote: »

So what? you dont have to. while it is necessary for debate logic qnd reason is not sufficient for society. We need other things such as values or morals or judgement.
    The societies based on you "there is no god " philosophy all perished after causing genocide and economic collapse and contributing nothing to civilization. christianity thrived and grew and built things and is still around.

All these states you speak of were not based on "there is no god" they were communist authoritarian regimes. the leaders sought to replace traditional religion with one of their own, namely the state/great leader/economic system is the new god.

You cannot blame atheism on this. Even though, you do so regularly, it appears you have that talking point on speed dial.

Atheism does not cause genocide or economic collapse. centralised power that ignores the masses in favour of military spending causes the latter. Revolt by said or fear of leads to genocides and mass murder.

I consider my self hard atheist, yet, I do not favour state sanctioned atheism. rather, secular governance. People should be free to worship whatever and whoever they like. The state should not promote any religion.

• Advertisement

Zorbas wrote: »
    Let me try once more to cut and paste the relevant sections from the report which is highly regarded and refers to this country rather than the US which is not relevant to this thread:

No, that is where you are wrong. This thread refers to atheism and Christianity in general, not just in Ireland. And this little segment of the thread was initiated by Joseph Brand's snide little dig at philologos about evangelical megachurches - complete with a photo of one of their buildings from the United States.
    Report Quote: "It was expected that households who donate to their church would also donate to charity. In both years households that give to their church are more likely to donate to charity. In 1994/1995, church donors were also likely to donate larger amounts to charity but not in 1999/2000. This may be linked to the declining levels of church attendance over the 1990’s (Eurobarometer)". Page 13,
    Conclusion

Report Quote from Page 14: "In 1994/1995 and 1999/2000, the donors who gave the most included those with higher income, age, education and social status. In 1994/1995, households that gave to their church also gave more to charity. This effect is not present in 1999/2000".

Surely the report is clear that religious are not more likely to be charitable.

For goodness' sake, read your own quotes. Facepalm time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement