Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Data

Options
  • 14-01-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

There's a lot of Limerick data, easily accessed here including electoral registers, obituaries, heads of households of the 1901 census etc.

Excellent site.

http://www.limerick.ie/library/localstudies/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The Limerick Chronicle in the early years i.e. 1768 onwards can now be viewed online courtesy of the Glucksman Library in UL

http://ulir.ul.ie/simple-search?query=%28supercollection%3Aul_digital_archive%29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Bicycle wrote: »
    There's a lot of Limerick data, easily accessed here including electoral registers, obituaries, heads of households of the 1901 census etc.

Excellent site.

http://www.limerick.ie/library/localstudies/

The city library has changed that link to the local studies website.

http://www.limerick.ie/localstudies/

I found Margaret Franklin’s book “Tracing your Limerick Ancestors” to be a great help when I started to research my own family tree.

There are lots of practical tips and I found it great value for money (circa €11).

I think it was first published in 2003, which would mean it is now due an updated edition to cover all the new material that has since come online.

6891526991_501c4718fa.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I have the Limerick book too and it was very handy as a beginner genealogist. I know that Flyleaf has updated a couple of their publications (the excellent Church Records and the Dublin tracing your ancestors).

Genealogy Forum Mod

My own genealogy adventure started two years ago after a visit home to Limerick. I went to Mount St. Lawrence with a cousin of mine and in the course of a conversation with him, he recalled the death of an uncle of ours, who had died as a young child in the 1929.

Our grandparents were in the process of emigrating to the states when he died and therefore he was buried in some relatives’ grave. But where, we did not know. So with the help from one of the cemetery workers, he looked up an old register and marched us off to where he was buried.

Of Course we were very pleased with finding an answer as to where our uncle’s grave was. However the old headstone with our family name on it threw up many more questions as we knew nothing about the other people buried there with him.

So I took some photographs and I spent some winter evenings searching the online cemetery records (Limerick Archives), a service which I’m very grateful for. After scanning through some 70,000 entries, I ended up with a list of names that formed the basis for my research.

So if your folks are from the city then Mount St. Lawrence’s Cemetery is a great starting point.

See link.

• Advertisement

I read in a recent Limerick Leader newspaper article, that Dr. Matthew Potter of the Mary Immaculate College and the City Council are conducting a project on Mount St. Lawrence’s Cemetery.

It will involve . . . .
    • information panels and guidebooks
    • creating a searchable database
    • photography of the headstones for a large archive
    • a major book
    Obviously I can’t wait to use the new database myself as trawling through 70,000 burial entries is very demanding on one’s sight.

Following the 1830’s cholera epidemics and the Great Famine in the 1840’s new burial grounds were needed in Limerick. Mount St Lawrence Cemetery was officially opened on 29 March 1849 in a ceremony presided over by Dr John Ryan, Bishop of Limerick.

Mount St Lawrence graveyard was the primary place of burial in Limerick City for all strata of society since its opening in 1849 from the wealthy and influential to those who died in the Lunatic Asylum and the workhouse. An extension to Mount St Lawrence was opened in 1960 and a new burial ground, Mount St Oliver, was opened in 1978.

The burial records begin in March 1855. Few burials seem to have taken place in the early years possibly because people were reluctant to bury the deceased so far from the existing city graveyards. The Burial Register now records that over 70,000 individuals have been interred in Mount St Lawrence between 1855 and 2009. However, the actual number is believed to be much higher.

Source see attachment.

I’m very interested in the Roman Catholic Burial Grounds that would have served the city prior to the start of records at Mount St. Lawrence (1855).
    • Killalee Graveyard (Garryowen)
    • St Patrick’s Graveyard (Singland)
    • St Michael’s Graveyard (Watergate)
    • Killeely Graveyard (Thomondgate)
    My Great-Great-Grandparents married in the 1850s and raised their family in St. John’s Parish (Irishtown).

I have been looking for sources that might help reveal a previous generation to my family tree.

I suppose it would be wishful thinking but do burial registers exist for these graveyards (pre-1850s)?

I don't know but Limerick City Library is the place to ask. They're very approachable by email.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Indeed I always found the staff of the local studies department to be very approachable and very helpful too. I hope to be in Limerick soon and I intend visiting the library as I have a few other queries on my mind.

Though to be honest, I’m not too optimistic about finding any burial register on those four graveyards mentioned above, as I once read that the Catholic Church generally did not maintain burial records pre 1850.

However there must have been some burial fee charged by the churches back then and if so then surely some accounting journal must have existed to administer the payment of those monies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Though to be honest, I’m not too optimistic about finding any burial register on those four graveyards mentioned above, as I once read that the Catholic Church generally did not maintain burial records pre 1850.

I would push that date even later than that - from what I've seen few RC parishes kept death/burials before the 1900s. Although you might be lucky and find Memorial Inscriptions if the family were reasonably well off.

e.g. none of the Limerick city parishes show burials in the NLI microfilms - i.e. before 1880, and a spot check of a few random Co. Limerick parishes showed just one with burials (Croom) and they were partial.

One reason I've heard suggested for the lack of death/burials in the usual registers was due to the fact that no actual sacrament was involved ?

Shane

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    One reason I've heard suggested for the lack of death/burials in the usual registers was due to the fact that no actual sacrament was involved ?

Shane

That is exactly what I've heard too. I'm not sure I've ever seen a burial register for a 19th century RC church.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I seem to remember (sorry cant remember a source - maybe John Grenham?), that the majority of RC parishes where death/burial records were kept were in the northern half of Ireland - something about north of an imaginary line between Dublin and Sligo...

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Shanew, that's correct. I've been re-reading Grenham's TYIA over the last few days and that is in there.

The geographic divide is a curious one. Grenham didn't offer an explanation.

If the relevant CofI register exist then it is worth consulting them for 'Papist' burials.

. . . none of the Limerick city parishes show burials in the NLI microfilms . . .

Thanks for confirming that.
    . . . Although you might be lucky and find Memorial Inscriptions . . .

That looks like my best option.

I found an online source of headstone inscriptions for St. Michaels Graveyard at Limerick’s Life website.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 davidjcie

Excellent site.

http://www.limerick.ie/library/localstudies/[/QUOTE]

I Agree but the data seems to be for
    Limerick City only. Any good sources for the county available?
    Ta
    David

I Agree but the data seems to be for
    Limerick City only. Any good sources for the county available?
    Ta
    David

I dont think there's anything as good for the county - other than the usual websites, familysearch, NAI census, Griffiths etc, the availability of useful local online sources would likely depend on the area of the county you are interested in.

Shane

If the relevant C of I register exist then it is worth consulting them for 'Papist' burials.

That crossed my mind especially after reading what the local historian Kevin Hannan wrote in a Old Limerick Journal about the 1832 Cholera Epidemic (see extract below concerning Killalee Graveyard ).

He gave me the impression that the Church of Ireland administered that particular Roman Catholic graveyard.

Was this arrangement typical for that era?
    1832 Cholera Epidemic (Extract)

In the summer of 1849, the Limerick Chronicle published an account of two boys, who were bringing ten corpses every day to Killalee graveyard and, as they were unable to bury these, the dogs were devouring the bodies. Some of the animals were killed by their owners, while others were seen taking large pieces of human flesh across the country'. But the poor starving dogs were not the only culprits.

The same newspaper records that 'Constable Nash arrested, in the Irishtown, a woman named Mary Touhy in the act of selling 1 cwt. of human bones which she had removed from the burial ground of Killalee, outside Clare Street. The miscreant had also a quantity of shrouding and caps worn by the dead'. We do not know the penalty paid by this wretched woman, but we do know that she was not the only human exploiter of the ancient burial place.

The Church of Ireland Rector of St. Patrick's was quick to seize his chance of cashing in on the unprecedented demand for the consecrated earth, for he increased the burial fee ~ from one shilling to two schillings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I have a digital database of the 1300 Limerick casulaties of ww1 if you need a lookup. The Widows Penny only lists 1012.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

There's quite a few transcriptions here too

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/limerick/index.htm

Thanks for the link, that site even has a small text file on St. Patrick's Graveyard (Singland) with details of some 20 Memorials.

• Advertisement

He gave me the impression that the Church of Ireland administered that particular Roman Catholic graveyard.

Maybe I should reread the book that I recommended on the previous page. :o It seems the Anglican & Roman Churches had more in common than what differed them.
    Chapter 8 Grave Records and Inscriptions
    In Ireland it is important to note that Catholics and Protestants were often buried in one graveyard. So the older Church of Ireland can be a source for some Catholic families.
    The same chapter gave some tips about what to do when the legibility of old headstones is poor.
    The legibility of the headstones can vary especially as some stones weather easily. Time, weather and tree roots may all have taken their toll on the stones. In order to read old inscriptions chalk or clumps of wet grass rubbed along the lines are all that is required.
    I observed by chance that the morning sun shining on an old gravestone greatly enhances its legibility.

That crossed my mind especially after reading what the local historian Kevin Hannan wrote in a Old Limerick Journal about the 1832 Cholera Epidemic (see extract below concerning Killalee Graveyard ).

I'm working from the depths of my memory with this one but the relevant legislation that allowed for local authorities to have and maintain graveyards came in sometime in 1895-1898.

As the CofI was the established Church up to 1871 then they might have had legal authority to record burials. As for the lack of completeness, I don't have an answer for that.

Having started my own family tree research at Mount St. Lawrence’s Cemetery, I needed to make sense of a list of unknown relatives that I had compiled, who were also buried with my uncle (1929) as mentioned on the previous page.

The cemetery burial register has one drawback in that the address of the deceased was the place of death and not necessarily where he/she had lived. Despite that I could still make out a rough family tree when I checked my list of names with those on the 1901/11 census. It was then clear to me that this grave was opened by my great-great-grandparents.

However I needed more information to prove how all those relatives buried there, were related to each other. To do this I needed to get their death certificates. So I took a stroll out to St Camillus Hospital where the civil registration office is situated.

Luckily enough for me the office was quiet that afternoon and a member of staff kindly took some time to answer my queries. She explained that firstly they don’t have research facilities there. Secondly a large selection of records had been digitalized but I think those pre-1921 were in the work-in-progress stage.

Basically, she informed me that they can issue full certified death certs for a €10 fee or online at www.certificates.ie. Alternatively they also issue uncertified certs for research purposes at a cheaper fee of €6. See attachment below.

So when I returned home from Limerick, I made up a new list and mailed it off back to that particular staff member. About a week later she informed me that it was finished and I made arrangements in Limerick to have it collected and paid for.

Facet I was very pleased with the research certs and they were professionally well done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

I'm working from the depths of my memory with this one but the relevant legislation that allowed for local authorities to have and maintain graveyards came in sometime in 1895-1898.

As the CofI was the established Church up to 1871 then they might have had legal authority to record burials. As for the lack of completeness, I don't have an answer for that.

Twas the Public Health (Ireland) Act of 1878 that set up sanitary authorities (forerunners of county councils) who were authorised to provide burial grounds.!

Thanks very much Mari!

Further to this I had a look again at the source that I was confusing with something else and in the pre-1878 period there were Burial Boards that were sub-committee's of the Poor Law Unions.

The source document is in relation to county Galway and seems to discuss what happened in that county from 1889 onwards (but possibly in other counties too?).

Mari, or anyone else, able to shed any light on the Burial Boards?

I wonder if their records, if any, are at NAI. Maybe.

Other than Church and Local Authority graveyards were the privately setup like Mount Jerome in 1836, .... dont know if this applies to any in Limerick though.

Extract from Thom's 1848 entry for Harold's Cross, Dublin.

"The principal attraction at this place is Mount Jerome Cemetery, the second of the kind established in the environs before that of Glasnevin was formed. It is managed by a company of shareholders, under Act 4 and 5 Wm. IV..."

I'm not sure exactly what the status of Glasnevin cemetery (1832) was initially - but dont think it was either church or local authority run.

Shane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks to Brennans Row for resurrecting this thread I've found a couple of obituaries .

Genealogy Forum Mod

Historical Note

Smallpox has been one of humankind's greatest scourges which affected all ages and socioeconomic classes.

The critical step towards the eradication of smallpox occurred when Edward Jenner and English physician noticed that milkmaids who developed cowpox, a less serious disease, did not develop the deadly smallpox. By 1796 he had developed a vaccine (from vacca, the Latin word for cow).

Efforts at immunization in Ireland in the first half of the eighteenth century were generally unsuccessful until the1864 Compulsory Vaccination Act. Parents were fined if they did not have their children vaccinated while Registrars responsible for the registration of births deaths and marriages in dispensary districts were responsible for registration of vaccinations and were paid per entry. This ensured success of the first mass vaccination scheme in Ireland.

Limerick City Archives holds Records of Successful Vaccinations for Limerick City and part of county Limerick which list the names and ages of children aged between 4-9 months, and the names and addresses of their parents. The World Health Organization (WHO) officially declared smallpox eradicated in 1980.
    Did women fib about their age in the past too? ;)

Well my great grandaunt seemed to have done so. At a stage of my research where I had no birth / baptism certificates, I simply estimated the year of birth from the age given in the 1901 / 1911 census, burial register, death certificate or headstone. In the case of my great grandaunt I estimated five different years of birth for her. Such inconsistencies simply wreck my head!

Luckily enough I came across the vaccination registers from the Limerick Archives and I found a record entry dated 1869 where she at the age of five months was vaccinated. Thankfully at that tender age she no capacity to fib. I also found other siblings of her which helped expand my family tree.

Facet, these registers are a little gem of a resource.

When I had exhausted all my freely available sources for my family tree research a year ago, I decided it was time to approach a professional genealogist to fill in the missing gaps or if possible at all, go back even a further generation. The staff at the civil registration office had recommended to me the services of Limerick Genealogy in Dooradoyle and so I rang them. Unfortunately it was closed for the Christmas vacations but I did find their website. Its list of genealogical sources was impressive and their commissioned service products on offer looked very good too. What caught my interest was an option to search online on a pay per view at Roots Ireland - Limerick Genealogy.

List of databases online for Co. Limerick
    • Baptismal / Birth Records - 660,368 Records
    • Marriage Records - 310,222 Records
    • Burial / Death Records - 179,669 Records
    • Census Records - 151,516 Records
    • Griffith’s Valuation Records - 34,842 Records
    Their price structure has since changed, but in my case the search index was free and to see the details it was € 5 per view. To be honest I had to grapple a bit with their search index at first before I started to get the optimal filtered results. I made screenshots of my index research results and then compared them to my own list of relatives before viewing them. It’s the only way to avoid wasting money on irrelevant records.

• Advertisement

6885521162_8eb205a73e.jpg

Pauper Limerick, The Register of the Limerick House of Industry, 1774-1793

Edited by: David Fleming and John Logan

The register of the Limerick House of Industry contains information on the age, sex, place of origin, religion, medical condition, admission and discharge, amongst other details, of 2,747 inmates for the period 1774-1793. Of the twelve houses of industry established under the Irish poor law of 1771-2, this is the only admission book known to have survived and is unique for Ireland.

While revealing the mechanisms employed to administer a significant institution, the register also provides a singular record for a social group whose history is necessarily elusive. It also provides evidence of individual strategies for dealing with poverty, infirmity, disease and lunacy.

This source will be invaluable to scholars of poverty, social provision, medicine, urban life, institutions and gender in the early modern period.

Genealogists researching families in Limerick, Clare, Tipperary and Cork (the places in which most of the inmates originated) will also find it useful as will those historians interested in the history of those counties.

ISBN: 978-1-906865-10-8

A truly fascinating book.

Advertisement