Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The will of the people, or the greater good?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

It's not really democracy anymore when faceless investors are put before everyone else.

I'll be the first to admit I'm no economist (nor do I accept it's a science) but how is pulling money out of the economy going to fix anything?

It makes consumers sheepish about spending. that means less buying..

If we are to do everything as these self describes "scientists" want there will be only money in crazy finance that does nothing for bob or paul down the street.

I don't believe "austerity" works.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

I'll be the first to admit I'm no economist (nor do I accept it's a science)

That's part of the problem; economics was presented as a rational scientific subject and most of us didn't question it. Part of the problem too is that those who have been most vocal in opposing ecomonic policies were espoucing Marxist politics which has never been updated for the modern world.

RubyRoss wrote: »
    That's part of the problem; economics was presented as a rational scientific subject and most of us didn't question it. Part of the problem too is that those who have been most vocal in opposing ecomonic policies were espoucing Marxist politics which has never been updated for the modern world.

The easy way of telling it's not science is that it involves an ideology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Can everyone take a deep breath? Let's keep things civil.

If there is a problem, report a post or PM a moderator, but keep it off thread.

Cheers,

SSR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I am not a country of millions of people.

cutting back on expenses as we are is and will continue to create more crime. more crime means more money spent on crime fighting. now, to me I'd rather see that money go to help families feed their children than see it going towards a more robust police force.

As far as I'm concerned either way you're going to pay.

It's not just about cutting back on spending with these people either. it is about moulding the country to their ideology. Cut the minimum wage! privatise your assets, open up your natural resources to our buddies.

I cannot understand how people can look at the IMF without taking into account their history! the Indonesians are still paying off the loans they got even though Suharto and his family made off with the lions share like bandits. It's a disgrace. The same thing will happen here. the prosperous will remain prosperous while the middle and lower classes will take the burden of these loans. The least we can do is ensure that the most vulnerable are covered as much as we can. plenty who will burden these increased taxes are at most risk of needing the safety net at some stage. It's easy to vilify the "scroungers" to help you're business friendly agenda along.

Like I said, though. I'm not an economist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

RichieC wrote: »
    I am not a country of millions of people.

Do simple economics change whether it's one person or a million?

There are in fact vulnerable people in this world, Permabear. It's not like the well off who are having to forgo a new jag this year because business is down 4% more than projected. It cutting these people off means having to choose between heating their home in winter and properly feeding their kids.

I know the argument.. there's no poor in Ireland! sure theyre all out drinking!

Without people using this rhetoric as you call it, people in the country clubs would be sitting around talking social engineering while the lower classes starve to death on the streets. Someone has to stand up for them.

There's no talk of NIMBYism when the rich are crying about the thought of capital gains taxes being raised. It's all trickle down economics then.

edited out the points directed at Pb.. not helping. Richie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Ah now Permabear most people can see who the most vulnerable in society are if they choose to.
    that would be my worry about Libertarians,i could be wrong but it seems the message it is not addressing is it appears to support only the survival of the fittest.
    let the rest rot.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Just to be clear: this thread isn't about the austerity per se (and definitely not the usual libertarian/anti-libertarian debate), but rather the political process itself. Please feel free to start a thread on the relative economic merits of austerity in the Irish economy forum, but for now, can everyone get back on topic, please?

If you have questions, PM me, don't post on thread.

Cheers,

SSR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

There are in fact vulnerable people in this world, Permabear. It's not like the well off who are having to forgo a new jag this year because business is down 4% more than projected. It cutting these people off means having to choose between heating their home in winter and properly feeding their kids.

I know the argument.. there's no poor in Ireland! sure theyre all out drinking!

Without people using this rhetoric as you call it, people in the country clubs would be sitting around talking social engineering while the lower classes starve to death on the streets. Someone has to stand up for them.

There's no talk of NIMBYism when the rich are crying about the thought of capital gains taxes being raised. It's all trickle down economics then.

edited out the points directed at Pb.. not helping. Richie

the trouble with the " most vulnerable " term is that it covers such a wide spectrum and usually includes groups for whoom the general wisdom is that they are inherently weak and poverty stricken , as such you end up in a redicolous situation where someone seventy years old and over can visit thier doctor for free despite having a weekly income of 700 euro per week , try and oppose this and you accused of attacking the vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'll be the first to admit I'm no economist (nor do I accept it's a science) but how is pulling money out of the economy going to fix anything?

It makes consumers sheepish about spending. that means less buying..

If we are to do everything as these self describes "scientists" want there will be only money in crazy finance that does nothing for bob or paul down the street.

I don't believe "austerity" works.

Nail on head, it's probably the only thing the left and right wing agree on, taking money out of an economy doesn't work. The tax or austerity bit is where they go all astray! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

K-9 wrote: »
    Nail on head, it's probably the only thing the left and right wing agree on, taking money out of an economy doesn't work. The tax or austerity bit is where they go all astray! ;)

I think that most of us would agree in principal that taking money out of the economy won't help. However we really are spending massively more than we take in. So there's a balancing act between really bankrupting ourselves and cutting back... and we are going to have to cut back even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

There seems to be a misconception about austerity in countries like Ireland and Greece, especially among the left wing in Ireland, that it's somehow supposed to jumpstart the economy of a reckless countries.

The point of austerity is to try re-balance an economy which is completely unbalanced, to the extent that makes it possible for broken countries to return to the bondmarkets.

The fact that the austerity has been 'so painful' in Ireland and Greece is unfortunately a measure of just had badly our countries were run.
    But how is austerity supposed to 'work' when we haven't even implemented austerity properly?

We have corrupted the austerity process;
    in Greece, they still have that railway that consumes 5% of GDP
    in Ireland, we still have the CPA and our public spending is still multiples of what it sustainably can be.

If you want to lose weight, but eat to excess by 1000 cals per day -> you're doing it wrong.
    If you want to implement austerity, but don't fix your own corrupt spending -> you're doing it wrong.

This is where the political process falls flat on it's ass.
    In Greece, the government go to the people and say, the Troika are forcing us to do A,B,C.
    In Ireland, we are lucky that the government go to the people and say, we have to do A,B,C because Fianna Fail broke the economy.

If you look at what is happening in Greece, I think direct democracy would be an improvement.
    The Greek government do not have the spine to take on their unions, so they strangle the private sector.
    They do not have the spine to tax the rich, who are evading tax to the tune of €40 billion, so they strangle the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Some have suggested that since the public is opposed to austerity measures, that legislators should respect that and vote against these policies, regardless of what financial markets will do. Some have even offered that these kinds of decisions be put to a public vote, rather than decided in national legislatures.

For me this raises the issue: what does representation mean then in a liberal democracy? Is it the role of politicians to only do what voters want, damn the consequences? If so, given the popularity of government spending - especially in good economic times - is there any way to prevent governments from spending countries into bankruptcy at the behest of the population? Or, should politicians vote in what they see as 'the national interest', even if this may go against popular opinion?

I am not a fan of direct democracy, or populist governing. While I vote for people who broadly share my political views, I also expect them to sometimes set aside party politics or the 'popular' thing to do the 'right' thing (as amorphous as these principles may be!). In the case of austerity measures, I think it is appropriate that the same legislative bodies who approved past spending now have to approve present austerity measures (or at least negotiate the terms of them). In a representative democracy, I think we need to let the representatives do their jobs - our job as citizens is to hold them accountable for their decisions. Unfortunately, I think in a lot of cases - Ireland in particular - voter failure to do the latter in the past has helped lead to a crisis in the present.

I've come to the conclusion that representative democracy has failed, or at least it has taken us as far as we can go.

I think it can be beefed up to an extent if we implement rigorous campaign finance reforms and do our best to limit the effect of money in politics. We will never be able to eliminate this entirely but the system we have now is far too easily corruptable and manipulable.

I think, ultimately, the next evolution of the democratic process is for a kind of mixture between direct and representative democracy. A lot of people consider direct democracy to be DOA, and that's because I think no one has really given it serious thought or even sat down to TRY and think of how it could be implemented in a workable way.

People keep pointing out how in a direct democracy spending would go out of control. What if you changed that? What if you made it so that people couldn't simply vote for spending in isolation. Rather than having a simple yes/no vote you could have a balanced form. So when you vote you cannot vote for an individual item of a budget. You have to vote for a budget as a whole.

A simplistic example of this would be, that I as a voter will have my unique online voting PIN. I log into my direct democracy website with this and have access to my vote for the 2013 budget. Now I can chose to lower taxes in some area but I have to make it deficit neutral so any spending increases tax cuts must be ofset by cuts elsewhere. Voting has been virtually a binary system up till now, but with the internet and modern technology it need not continue to be so.

So I could decide to allocate the budget as 20% health, 20% education, 20% defence/security, 20% environment, 20% social entitlements. Another person might want 40% on health. So what you end up with when the votes are tallied is an aggregate of the populations spending priorities.

Of course this has its own problems such as how do you decide to raise the deficit in order to borrow. Perhaps rather than a simple majority, raising the deficit should require 70-80% of the voting population to be onboard.

You'd still have representatives, whose primary jobs would be to implement what the public decide. So the health minister would then manage whatever budget we allocated to her. They would also be responsible for introducing new bills/laws.

There would be fixed terms, maybe one month in a year where major laws could be voted on to prevent chaos.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't believe the hurdles to direct democracy are insurmountable and I believe it is something worth pursuing simply because representative democracy places too much power in the hands of too few individuals who are too easily corrupted.

Perhaps a greater challenge than the issue of direct or representative democracy is the diminishing power of national democracies around the world due to globalisation and the growth of powerful multi-national megacorporations.

The idea behind democracy is to stop the ordinary person from being oppressed by a few powerful and wealthy elites. United we stand etc. As well as banding and pooling resources together in order to reduce the cost of goods and services they allow us to have things like fighter jets and expensive research.

But now we have a situation where megacrops can bully smaller and even greater democracies. By threatening to take their business elsewhere where there are lower tax rates. By moving jobs to places where there are no employee protections and they can utilise virtual slave labour. Using off shore accounts like Switzerland and the cayman's to bypass paying taxes entirely. So what we really need is revolution towards a more global democracy. And while the idea of sharing with third world countries might not seem palatable I believe, in the long term, we would all benefit from it. (Edit: Or for example, bullying countries like Ireland into taking on the debts of private institutions by threatening financial armageddon if we don't comply.)

Edit: Right now we have various national interests competing against each other. We are like dogs, fighting for scraps that our corporate masters decide to toss our way, while they feast on the majority of the world's wealth. I say its time to overthrow the status quo.

Of course, we are much more likely to continue down the road we are on now, which is the road to greater corporate despotism, with only the illusion of freedom and democracy. Because people are short-sighted and selfish and because those with vested interests have corrupted every level of society to shape it to their limited agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Memnoch wrote: »
    Right now we have various national interests competing against each other. We are like dogs, fighting for scraps that our corporate masters decide to toss our way, while they feast on the majority of the world's wealth. I say its time to overthrow the status quo.

But how would you stop vested interest groups from influencing the direct-democracy voting process? If anything, that process would encourage people to think and vote in terms of their own interest rather than the nation as a whole. Of course, people already vote in self-interest but I think direct democracy would intensify group-think and be biased towards the most powerful groups.

Regarding the budget, the majority are tax-payers encouraging them to support favourable measures at the expense of minority measures. Also, in times of crisis, the majority sentiment can become explosive. E.G. after the Hunger Strikes the level of popular hatred towards Britain was tempered somewhat by government.

Maybe, I’m just nit-picking but there would need to be a lot of safety-nets in a direct process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement