Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time bike buyer

Options
  • 12-01-2012 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Heya lads,

I have a full B license and have been told you can own a motorbike up to a certain engine size and the B license covers it ! does anyone know what engine size? Also I am considering maybe applying for a license for a bike maybe of 125cc or something under 250 !! How does the license application differ from a car and also the testing situation as in where or how do I drive if I need to pass a driving test ? Sorry Im a complete newbie !

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Nope, B licence doesn't cover ANY bike. A or A1 chief. Licence application is similar to a car. Test is handy enough, the tester follows you while you have an earpiece and he gives you instructions as you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Nope, B licence doesn't cover ANY bike. A or A1 chief. Licence application is similar to a car. Test is handy enough, the tester follows you while you have an earpiece and he gives you instructions as you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

Thanks for clearing that up. I was told you could get a Honda 50 on a B license. Im just lookin for somethin small to have as a little hobby. Thanks a million for the info Im going to apply for the test in a few days ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭gipi

Before you get on the road with your A or A1 permit, you have to go through compulsory training too - have a read of the sticky post at the top of the forum which has a lot of answers for learner bikers.

G'luck getting on the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Once upon a time you could get an M license with your B license, which does allow you to drive a 50cc moped. This was removed in the last few years so it is no longer the case.

Edit for more info:
    Category M is for
    Mopeds with a maximum speed of 45kph and an engine size of 50cc or less
    In addition, if you have held a driving licence for category B, C, C1, D, D1, EB, EC, EC1, ED or ED1 since before 21 October 2006, it is also regarded as a licence for category M.
    Taken from citizens info site, here

• Advertisement
Advertisement