Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Bird Chat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

My Yellowhammer was back again today and also a female Blackcap, didn't see the male today though. I still have two Robins having a bit of s scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

Are house sparrows on the up this year? Last year I only had 1 or two any day, this year I'm averaging around 6 with a high of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've an old native hedge with stream along it bordering one side of garden.
    It was really busy this afternoon.

During fifteen minutes I saw the following
    Goldcrest
    Treecreeper
    Sisken
    Blue tit
    Coal Tit
    Long-tailed Tit
    Great Tit
    Dunnock
    Robin
    Song Thrush
    Black Bird
    Wood Pigeon
    Greenfinch
    Bullfinch
    Chaffinch
    Goldfinch

Many were bathing in the stream. A much milder afternoon with sunny spells.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Could have sworn I saw a Swift today? Surely they're all gone by now, what else could it have been? (this wasn't my garden now but somewhere near my family home in achill).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

What I thought was a Swift one day, was a Kestrel. Moving car, pointy wings, looked similar.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

whyulittle wrote: »
    What I thought was a Swift one day, was a Kestrel. Moving car, pointy wings, looked similar.

It had pointy wings but it was flying very low(only about 10ft off the ground) and I don't think the colouring looked right for a kestrel.

Two Yellowhammers in today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

I had my first really good look at a Wren in the garden today.

Also two Robins in together, chasing each other around.
    I heard somewhere that robins are very territorial and will fight to the death to keep their square mile free.

I only put my "futterboy 3000" seed feeder up the other day and its nearly half gone already.
    I tied it to a vertical clothes line pole and at first the boys were struggling to land on it so i taped a dead branch on too so they could land then hop.
    Very funny watching them at first as they were like hummingbirds trying to land on it.
    Can anyone recommend a site with pictures of the common birds for identification.
    Im starting to see differences between what i thought were all sparrows so would like to know whats there.
    Next doors back garden is fairly overgrown with bramble bushes and different trees as it used to be allotments so its an unusual habitat in tallaght.

Was wondering where all the Chaffinch chat had disappeared to.....it was in the Redpoll thread...d'oh!

I've been getting up to around 20 Chaffinch, 20 House Sparrows, 10 Goldinch, 10 Greenfinch.

Chaffinch are in pretty much all day, in varying numbers. While the Sparrows just appear and disappear.

Starlings are pretty scarce so far. Think 3 is the most I've seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

As per the redpoll thread we had our first one yesterday - with 4 or 5 pals today. Also first time I've had a greenfinch in a good while; there were also some chaffinches and three goldfinches, plus the regular sparrows,dunnocks, coal, blue and great tits.

One of my 3 Yellowhammers from today

IMG_0191.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

Had 10 linnets in today..... last winters record was 35. My species list for this season so far....rook, jackdaw, magpie, collared dove, blackbird, chaffinch, greenfinch, goldfinch, robin, wren, sparrow, great tit, blue tit, linnet, redpoll and starling. No thrush or wagtails yet even though recorded them frequently last year. Also had a redwing and some bramblings last year but that probably due to the severe winter. I live on a typical housing estate in west Dublin....despite lack of mature trees and gardens it is incredible what a bird feeder will attract. Oh had a sparrowhawk fly over garden last Summer too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

See large flocks of geese flying over an area between Santry Woods and the Airport most days, anyone know what type of geese these are ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

googsy wrote: »
    See large flocks of geese flying over an area between Santry Woods and the Airport most days, anyone know what type of geese these are ??

They'll be pale bellied brent geese. Any idea where they are landing?

7 Redpolls on the nyjer seed this morning and 10 Tree Sparrows feeding on grain I put our for the Collard Doves:)

Thanks for that, don't know where they are landing... they head in the general direction of the Northside Shopping center... not sure if that's any help... it's a very regular occurrence in the morning time ( roughly 8am onwards ) wonder are they using some fields somewhere around St Margarets at night as they fly quite low over the main airport road heading from Santry to the Airport....

googsy wrote: »
    Thanks for that, don't know where they are landing... they head in the general direction of the Northside Shopping center... not sure if that's any help... it's a very regular occurrence in the morning time ( roughly 8am onwards ) wonder are they using some fields somewhere around St Margarets at night as they fly quite low over the main airport road heading from Santry to the Airport....

There's plenty of playing fields around that area, probably where they're heading for. They like short grass.

Had 10 linnets in today..... last winters record was 35. My species list for this season so far....rook, jackdaw, magpie, collared dove, blackbird, chaffinch, greenfinch, goldfinch, robin, wren, sparrow, great tit, blue tit, linnet, redpoll and starling. No thrush or wagtails yet even though recorded them frequently last year. Also had a redwing and some bramblings last year but that probably due to the severe winter. I live on a typical housing estate in west Dublin....despite lack of mature trees and gardens it is incredible what a bird feeder will attract. Oh had a sparrowhawk fly over garden last Summer too!!

I'm very rural and and have not had the bolded species in my garden this month. I've only ever had Collared Dove and Starling a couple times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Sparrowhawk has been around several times today looking for his Christmas dinner.

• Advertisement

Sparrowhawk has been around several times today looking for his Christmas dinner.

My local Sparrowhawk has been in a couple of times today too, I didn't see it catch anything but it did come close to getting one of the Yellowhammers. I hadn't seen it for 13 days and since July it pretty much visited everyday so I was getting a bit worried it may have died.

Just an update... found out where some of them are landing, on the way up to the Northside shopping center from Santry direction, in the green field just before the entrance of Clonshaugh Industrial Estate... also if you turn left at the Northside Shopping Center heading towards Priorswood, a large flock of them are feeding in the football pitches on the right hand side.

Noticed today that my House Sparrows appear to be eating buds on the tree's in the garden, in December! :D

I had my first Redpoll of the winter in today, I think. Just didn't have any red on it.

13B1B8507025432F98B8D020F30981D4-0000315944-0002688259-00616L-04AE406B75704A3FA4F883444B0AAFB3.jpg

29C8C883DE424D4DAE5DE7FE69CEF343-0000315944-0002688258-00587L-D8AD07E7045E44F1AF42BF737DF5E973.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Woke up this morning to the usual 40+ goldfinches, sparrows, robins & blackbirds but in the middle of them all was a bullfinch & wren picking side by side on the ground. Lovely to watch.:)

Unfortunetly I'll have to stop feeding for a few weeks :( i've got a couple of ill Sparrows in the garden. It looks like they have trichomoniasis.

I had Blackbirds singing their hearts out during the mild weather last week.

and today a male Great Spotted Woodpecker :D

Haven't had one in garden for a while, but has been seen in other gardens locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I had my first Redpoll of the winter in today, I think. Just didn't have any red on it.

13B1B8507025432F98B8D020F30981D4-0000315944-0002688259-00616L-04AE406B75704A3FA4F883444B0AAFB3.jpg

29C8C883DE424D4DAE5DE7FE69CEF343-0000315944-0002688258-00587L-D8AD07E7045E44F1AF42BF737DF5E973.jpg

that aint a red poll. its a gold finch

Good man, thanks! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

The closer bird in the picture is a Goldfinch but the second bird is a redpoll!

Advertisement