Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas Hamper Races 2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Novice to races etc. but what times are expected from the cat4s?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Time don't matter. First 6 is all which is usually recorded.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Raam wrote: »
    Time don't matter. First 6 is all which is usually recorded.

Loverly, as far as anyone in the family shall be told, I was as fast as the 7th man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kenzobf

Please note that The John Sweeney Memorial Race on Sunday 4th December 2011 is a Dublin Wheelers Club Race and is not an Open Race. The race is for DWCC members (non-members by invitation only).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

kenzobf wrote: »
    Please note that The John Sweeney Memorial Race on Sunday 4th December 2011 is a Dublin Wheelers Club Race and is not an Open Race. The race is for DWCC members (non-members by invitation only).

sorry guys not what i was told must have miss understood, dwcc member asked for the date to be put up on another clubs site no mention of invites ?,so who gets invited and by who,i really need a turkey :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Swords,Wheelers and ?Ravens Xmas races are all invitation only.
    Limited to the organising club and up to 4 other clubs.
    Basically if you or your club haven't been asked you can't ride.

well that was fun well done to the winners and thanks to dwcc for staging the show,i was put into group 3 with some very serious looking bike riders, when most of my normal swords colleagues were all in group 2(dont go training with handicapper the week before his race) i managed to hang on to my group they were going a fine lick and the group was blown apart on lap 2 when some of the strong men but in some super fast turns
    the winner came from group 2 they caught group 1 my group got to within 30sec of group 2 no thanks to me and we managed to stay clear of a small scratch group,it was good fun,the same again next week for the invites not sure if i will make it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What was the turnout like, and how many groups did they run?

Hoping to do the Obelisk one next Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Beasty wrote: »
    What was the turnout like, and how many groups did they run?

From the Wheelers website:
    Thank you to everyone who supported this event today. As well as the locals there were a couple of riders from Longford and one lad made the trip from North Carolina.

A field of 43 riders signed on for the race which allowed for four groups on the road. The gap from limit to scratch was ten minutes.

On a cold and windy morning, the racing was fast and furious in all groups. The limit group rode very well to hold off the chasing group until 5k to go. Group 3 did not make the junction and finished at 30 seconds with the remains of the scratch at about 2 minutes.

Ronan McDonnell won on his own with Neil Long in second place. Sean Lally won the gallop for third place. (See 'Results Main' in Navigation Panel)

The Drivers/Marshals did a great job as usual. Without their expertise and assistance the show would not get on the road.
    Thank you to all our own club members and to the members of neighbouring clubs for their time and efforts.

It was a fitting tribute to John's memory.

Thank you.

I'm not looking good for making the Obelisk race next week when is swords running their turkey race ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm not looking good for making the Obelisk race next week when is swords running their turkey race ?

December 18th - There will be a notice on the website tomorrow.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Next Sunday's (the 11th) event is being put on by Obelisk Wheelers, using the same (Green Sheds) course as last Sunday (and I believe the Swords race will also be there), but signing on (10am) and starting (10.30am) from Batterstown rather than Dorey's Forge.

I believe Swords and Dublin Wheelers riders (with racing licences) are invited - not sure which other club's members can take part though

I believe Swords and Dublin Wheelers riders (with racing licences) are invited -

I presume a club competition licence is OK? It was for the Dublin Wheelers race last week.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    December 18th - There will be a notice on the website tomorrow.
    Thanks can we have an 11am start please,9.30 is the middle of the night this time of year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Next Sunday's (the 11th) event is being put on by Obelisk Wheelers, using the same (Green Sheds) course as last Sunday (and I believe the Swords race will also be there), but signing on (10am) and starting (10.30am) from Batterstown rather than Dorey's Forge.

Busy out that way next Sunday with the Orwell, Lucan, Tiernans, IRC, UCD league race out there also.

Evelyn Cusack is predicting cold weather! Maybe a risk of ice.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Busy out that way next Sunday with the Orwell, Lucan, Tiernans, IRC, UCD league race out there also.

Evelyn Cusack is predicting cold weather! Maybe a risk of ice.
    It would appear we have a clash of events then - as both events seem to be starting at 10.30, and will presumably be using the same stretch of road (certainly at the start, but once you get to the roundabout there are options), it looks like one will have to be rearranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

For some reason, when I saw the title of this thread, I instantly started imagining some sort of super race of turkeys. Big turkeys, real big turkeys with intelligence and shit. Maybe like a hybrid turkey/human or something. This is not the case unfortunately.

^^^
    Title should read hamper races ,may be we can have that fixed

^^^
    Title should read hamper races ,may be we can have that fixed
    ...well you chose the title

(and I've now changed it;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

think the orwell & Co league race starts at 11:30

• Advertisement

levitronix wrote: »
    think the orwell & Co league race starts at 11:30
    Orwell Wheelers website says 10.30

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Sign-on 10:30 for an 11:30 start.

oflahero wrote: »
    Sign-on 10:30 for an 11:30 start.
    Doh!

At least that means we get all the parking spaces:)

Does the Orwell etc. race use the Mullagh circuit? If so, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're using the Green Sheds one we'll be finishing around the same time as you guys are heading along the finishing straight for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Doh!

At least that means we get all the parking spaces:)

Does the Orwell etc. race use the Mullagh circuit? If so, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're using the Green Sheds one we'll be finishing around the same time as you guys are heading along the finishing straight for the first time!

Parking spaces? For shame, at the weekend there's no excuse for a long lazy warmup...

Supposedly it's to be one of either the Mullagh or Green Sheds, haven't heard a definitive decision either way.

Confusion over the start time probably arose from an Orwell forum post a week ago listing the start as 10:30, but I've seen it as 11:30 everywhere else since.

any one make it to today's race ?

Obelisk race won by Morana. Manwithaplan was also there

There were three groups, and I managed to get myself in limit along with Morana, Sean Lally and around 8 or 9 others

After about 10km it was down to 4 of us doing virtually all of the work, but it was a very handy pace. I think the three others could easily have coped in the next group up, but then we wouldn't have stayed away

After the first lap I was suffering - normalised power was about 276W and we were averaging just over 37kph. I had to ease off during the second lap and the other 3 shared the work, keeping the pace just over 37kph. The weather turned pretty miserable and my glasses steamed up so much I had to take them off, meaning everything was pretty much a blur for the final 7 or 8 km as the remaining bunch of 4 pulled away from me up the final climb

Just after the final roundabout one of the other lead cars passed me so I suspected the main bunch was bearing down on me, so I picked it up and managed to stay clear, probably by 20-30s I would guess, to take 5th place.

Anyway, well done morana - great preformance, particularly as you've hardly been able to train in recent weeks - FYI my speed on the 2nd lap was just under 37kph, probably meaning you guys managed to keep it above 37 throughout. Normalised power dropped to 272W for the 2nd lap, and 274w overall - pedaling was 258W and including zeros 248w - Strava record here

I didn't feel the cold in the race, but was absolutely frozen heading back to the cars and waiting around for the presentation - we also witnessed the end of the Orwell/Usher etc race and I managed to meet Sr Assumptia and Caroline who were helping out with the marshaling

Small enough turnout. Maybe 20-25. There was a limit group, a second group and a scratch group of 4. I went off in the second group. Limit weren't caught - we got to about 30 seconds of them I would say. Morana won, Damien Crowe from Dublin Wheelers was second, Sean Lally was third, a young guy from Wheelers got fourth and Beasty got fifth.

We were caught by scratch about half way round the last lap and I held on OK and kept putting in my efforts. I got second (I think) in the merged group, although most sensible riders had sat up when it was clear we weren't going to make the catch. Overall I was happy with how I went.

Edit - hadn't seen Beasty's post!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

ah I was hanging on tbh. The young lad from Dublin wheelers should have won but he did a little too much. I was hoping we would get to the finish with Beasty and we could have worked something out.

As I said to Sean Lally when they opened the gap on us coming out of Dunsany it they started to attack us they would have left us behind. But he wisely told me " Dont tell them that"

I really like the Obelisk lads with all there older guys Gerry Kinsella, Keano, Pat Halligan etc..Good crack and well done to all and thanks for the race

I actually closed the gap and thought I had a chance of getting back on, but ran out of steam at the Warrenstown Arms - if I could have got over the hill with you guys still within a reasonable distance I thought I had the pace on the downhill. Those 2 lads were very strog though (apparantly the guy who got 2nd was in the 3rd group last week). I think the first lap was just that bit too hard for me, but as I said you guys could easily have fared well in the next group up. I also guess there's not too much disgrace being beaten by that particular 70 year old...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Don't take it too hard, Beasty. That particular 70 year old was beating me on a regular basis twenty years ago, when I started racing Vets. I loved racing against him, but to be honest, I used be relieved, if I arrived at a race and he wasn't there. I cannot believe, he's still at it. Fair play to him.
    There's hope for me yet!!

Advertisement