Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Of Light

Options
  • 30-11-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

How Does The Speed Of Light Work ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

FrankKay wrote: »

It is derived from the 4 equations of electromagnetism:

Gauss's law

Gauss's (magnetism) law

Farady's law

Ampere's circuital law

How much math do you know? I can post a raw derivation if that would be helpful. In a nutshell, the above equations show that the electric and magnetic field (it's really all the same "electromagnetic" field) interact in such a way that electromagnetic waves propagate at speed c.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Morbert wrote: »

How much math do you know? I can post a raw derivation if that would be helpful.

Could you?........I would be very grateful if you did - I've never seen the derivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

FrankKay wrote: »

About a million times faster than sound, which is roughly a million times faster than a snail. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I'd say you'd appreciate this.

I'd say you'd appreciate this.

Thank you.

I would really like to see Morbert lay out the derivation - in say an image form (not in horrible ASCII maths) - so I could scan through and have my "aw haw" moment.

Morbert, I would be eternally grateful if you could show us a little art an narrative - and dazzle the ignorant. Myself being an ignorant islander.

Please...show us the magic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

krd wrote: »
    Thank you.

I would really like to see Morbert lay out the derivation - in say an image form (not in horrible ASCII maths) - so I could scan through and have my "aw haw" moment.

Morbert, I would be eternally grateful if you could show us a little art an narrative - and dazzle the ignorant. Myself being an ignorant islander.

Please...show us the magic. :)

They're not too bad in integral form, if you get calculus. Otherwise, they're still digestible if you just think of summing lots and lots of things things up. They can be intimidating when you see the atled (upside down delta) - in differential form.

True elegance - Maxwell's equations. Even Einstein gave "props" to Maxwell since his laws, unlike Newtons, needed no tweaking when close to the speed of light.

Here's a good place to start.

If you "get" Coulomb's Law, than Gauss should not be a problem. We use Gauss' Law when we are able to make use of symmetry, such as surrounding an object by a sphere or cylinder. If you cannot exploit symmetry then Gauss' Law isn't going to be of much use to you as the integration just gets messy.

I have a few ppt's that I could post which may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

I wrote a post but the math didn't work so instead I've transferred it to this pdf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I wrote a post but the math didn't work so instead I've transferred it to this pdf.

Morbert, have you a similar proof in integral form?

The div-grad-curl and all that stuff isn't my favorite look and feel. :o

Thanks. I really don't understand all that maths. Gives me somewhere to start. It's years since I've studied - there are so many things I've forgotten how to do - or don't even remember how I studied them (or what I may have consciously picked to avoid -due to lack of time and comprehension and other things)

I can see something in the equations though I'd need to go over bits of it individually to clearly see what's going on.

I was just watching Caltech: The Mechanical Universe - 11 - Gravity, Electricity, Magnetism

They do an interesting derivation using experimentally derived values.

The magnetic and electric constant. Derived experimentally via the force equations.

Ke = 9X10^9 Nm^2/C^2

Km = 1x10^-7 Ns^2/C^2

Divide them

Ke/Km = 9 x 10^16 m^2/s^2 Which looks like the square of the speed of something

sqrt(Ke/Km) = 3x10^8 ms^-1 Which is the experimentally derived speed for light, c. Which would indicate a fundamental relationship between light, electricity, and magnetism.

I can see the relationship. There's quite a bit of maths I'd need to revise (and learn) before I would see it jumping off the page at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

299,792,458 metres per second in a vacuum, and acts as mass and energy according to the slit experiment.
    but simple trigonometry can go beyond that speed theoretically
    the absolute hassle of light

• Advertisement
Advertisement