Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote: »
    No, just as I didn't make a long post claiming that I was an authority on whether they were raped or not. That's where making false claims about other posters gets you - muddies the waters unnecessarily.

Er, no you made long posts claiming I hadn't studied the Bible and you have. Long posts with little else in them. You can claim all you like that "in general" you provide alternative explanations and the views of multiple scholars, you can say you do that till you are blue in the face but if you ain't actually doing that it means nothing.

(btw I let the comment in your last post go by but if you are insistent on having this argument ...)
    What I did refer to was your hilarious howler that biblical Hebrew doesn't have words for sex or intercourse, so therefore to take someone as a wife really means to rape them.

And you corrected me by saying they had lots of phrases for sex, something I wasn't disputing, in fact that was the point.

You won't find a literal word for sex or sexual intercourse, for example when Lot says his daughters do not know a man that means they are virgins, but the literal translation is actually that they do not know a man (the Hebrew 'yada'), since sex was some times described as a man and a woman having knowledge of each other.

I'm sure you know all this already.

That by the way is a good example of what you were talking about earlier. A common argument by the "homosexual agenda" is to state that the tail of Sodom isn't about homosexuality, yada just means to know so when the mob call out for the angels to be sent out so that they can know them it doesn't necessarily mean that it is to sexually rape them. But that makes little sense given what Lot says next, that he instead offers his daughters who have not known a man before. Are we expected to believe that what the girls have never done is literally known of another man other than their father? That is ridiculous, the phrase to know a man is being used to signify sex.

The "homosexual agenda" has it completely wrong here, the passage is clearly talking about sexual intercourse. I'm more than happy to accept that, I'm under no illusions that the people who wrote these stories though homosexuality as a good thing, like most people of the time they no doubt despised it.
    Can you cite what passage you're actually talking about? Then I'll gladly discuss it with you.

Deuteronomy 21:10-14 for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Simtech wrote: »
    Using Ockhams' Razor, it is more likely that the Universe sprang from nothing

Something from nothing ? Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Zombrex wrote: »
    Deuteronomy 21:10-14 for a start.

When you go to war against your enemies and the LORD your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her.

When the Israelites conquered Canaan they were forbidden to take wives from the tribes that lived there. Now they are told that this does not apply when they go to war against enemies (presumably wars in enemy territory rather than the conquest of Canaan). So it was permissable to marry women from among the captives.

This was common in ancient cultures where women, widowed or orphaned in the conflict, sometimes ended up marrying men from the conquering army (as indeed did thousands of German women who married American GIs at the end of World war II.)

There are two possibilities here. It may be that these women were forced to marry Israelite men - in which case that would, by any modern definition be classed as rape.

The other possibility is that they chose to be a wife in Israel seeing that as preferable to working as a slave or domestic servant. In which case it would not be rape.

Which is it? I don't know, and I'm not ideologically committed to either option. The text appears to be showing much more humanity than we might expect to these women in letting them mourn their husbands. On the other hand their status is obviously inferior to an Israelite born wife.

Rahab, from Jericho, is one example of a survivor from a conquered city who threw in her lot with the Israelites, married one of them, and ultimately became an honoured ancestor of King David and of Jesus.

Also, 1 Samuel Chapter 25 (the story of Nabal and Abigail) shows in a different context how a widow could readily and willingly marry a man who had proved himself to be stronger than her husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

The problem is mine, I can't decide whether or not to believe.
    I would have thought that was obvious. :)

What would convince you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

Something from nothing ? Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another.

Except by God I presume.
    What would convince you?

I don't know tbh. I've just listened to the first of the lectures recommended by Fanny Cradock here and I shall listen to the rest. I know my father has a bible so I'll get that. I'll give it a fair chance. I will also read Richard Dawkins for the alternative viewpoint and I'll see where I stand. Watching The God Delusion Debate now.

I think believing would be easier than not tbh, in a way I wish I did but so far I've not been able to. I have to decide though, what to teach my two daughters (6 & 1) and I'd like to get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

This is unrelated to the above discussion but this is the right thread for it so here goes. Jesus was a descendent of David through Joseph right? And because he was that fulfilled some prophecy. But, thing is, Jesus wasn't even related to Joseph. God was the one who got Mary pregnant. So Jesus isn't really descended from David because Joseph is really only an adoptive father. So therefore prophecy wasn't actually fulfilled. And therefore Jesus wasn't actually Christ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

''I think believing would be easier than not tbh....''

Simtech, best of luck to you if you are sincere and would like to really think about the question of God, and do some soul searching..

However, just about the statement above; in fact, that is really really wrong, and a presumption that very many seem to make.

'Believing' is not 'easier' than 'not' - in fact, not believing is easier to do imo, and 'not thinking' at all about the question of God is even easier than that...

People who have faith realise that IF there was no God, that they will just melt into oblivion like everybody else when they die, into the darkness they came from, just like before the eternal moment they were actually realised into life.....That's not a 'scary' concept, no...

You see, having faith is far more than just an 'easy' choice in life to avoid or sidestep life and death; it's not that it is difficult, but having faith is not the 'easy' option - it's a rational thing, it's a conviction, it's far far more...

Good luck to you Simtech.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I don't know tbh. I've just listened to the first of the lectures recommended by Fanny Cradock here and I shall listen to the rest. I know my father has a bible so I'll get that. I'll give it a fair chance. I will also read Richard Dawkins for the alternative viewpoint and I'll see where I stand. Watching The God Delusion Debate now.

I think believing would be easier than not tbh, in a way I wish I did but so far I've not been able to. I have to decide though, what to teach my two daughters (6 & 1) and I'd like to get it right.

Funny, I always thought that not believing would be easier - at least in some ways.

By all means examine both sides (there aren't two sides, of course - but you get what I mean). TGD isn't a rebuttal to the series I linked you to. So if you are looking for a response to Dawkins then please PM me and I can fire you some suggestions. I'd also encourage you to have a listen to Unbelievable. Each week it places two or more people with opposing views (often this will be between Christians and non-Christians) on a specific topic to do with Christianity. Check out the archives. There are some cracking discussions on there.

I don't think you can force yourself to believe. The Christian faith isn't a matter of the will over the intellect. Rather, the claim is that the truths discussed in the Bible are profound truths and you can come to know these on a spiritual and intellectual level. Why not - even as an experiment - pray to God to reveal himself to you? Then begin your exploration. One word of advice, if you are going to read the Bible (the NT is always a good place to start, I think) then I would suggest getting your hands on something like the NIV or ESV. They have a more flowing quality than the often beautiful but archaic language of the KJV.

There are two possibilities here. It may be that these women were forced to marry Israelite men - in which case that would, by any modern definition be classed as rape.

The other possibility is that they chose to be a wife in Israel seeing that as preferable to working as a slave or domestic servant. In which case it would not be rape.

Which is it? I don't know, and I'm not ideologically committed to either option.

You appreciate that one of those outcomes is God condoning rape of prisoners of war, correct?

And lets be honest, that is the more likely interpretation, agreed? If you looked at the text completely independently to any theological issues.

The other text mentioned was Deuteronomy 20:10-15

10 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. 11 If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. 12 If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. 13 When the LORD your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. 14 As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the LORD your God gives you from your enemies. 15 This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.

How such commandments were carried out by Moses and by the soldiers is described in such passages such as Numbers 31. Its a long passage but basically all the men are killed and then all the women are killed except for the virgins and then the virgins are divided up long with the donkeys and other live stock and given to the soldiers.

Numbers 31 is pretty clear that thousands of virgin women were rounded up and presented as plunder to the soldiers, and again I'm pretty sure they weren't being asked was this what they wanted.

I do actually have a genuine question about Numbers 31:40

What does it mean that 32 virgins were "tribute" for the Lord? Now I could jump the gun and say that they were executed, but the Israelites genuinely didn't seem big on the human sacrifice thing, so that seems unlikely. The priest ends up with 32 virgins but it is not particularly clear what he is supposed to do with them? Did they end up his wives?

Any thoughts?

You appreciate that one of those outcomes is God condoning rape of prisoners of war, correct?

Er, that is what I quite clearly said in the quote you cited, yes. One of those optiions would, by any modern definition, be classed as rape,
    And lets be honest, that is the more likely interpretation, agreed? If you looked at the text completely independently to any theological issues.
    No, to be honest, it isn't.

Let's look at this from a purely historical standpoint. Throughout history it has been common for conquerors of cities to rape women. This can be seen in the Ancient Persians, in the Crusades (from both sides), and even in the last century (try reading Antony Beevor's harrowing account of the downfall of Berlin at the hands of Soviet troops in 1945).

It has also been common for women to voluntarily become wives of the soldiers that have conquered them. This was particularly so in ancient times, when victory in war was seen as a sign of divine favour, and when marriage was often viewed as a strategic alliance rather than a love affair. But this has also occurred in the last century, as when German women married American GIs.

So, the question is, does the practice in Deut. 21 sound more like a terrified fraulein being raped by the Red Army or more like a German woman marrying a GI and getting a meal ticket to the land of the free?

The stipulation that the woman must be given time to mourn her husband, extraordinary for that time in history, certainly contrasts greatly with the usual practice by which soldiers would gang rape conquered women as soon as a city fell.

Then we take into account the stories in Scripture of Rahab and Abigail - women who readily agreed to throw in their lot with those who would have previously been their enemies, and, apparently willingly, married them.

So, leaving aside any theological considerations, I would probably be inclined, on historical and textual grounds, to see the non-rape option as more likely. But I'm not ideologically wedded to that, and would be prepared to change my mind if evidence were presented to support the other view.

10 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. 11 If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. 12 If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. 13 When the LORD your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. 14 As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the LORD your God gives you from your enemies. 15 This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.
    I don't see any mention of rape there, or even of marriage, do you? You might as well argue that they raped the children and the livestock too.
    How such commandments were carried out by Moses and by the soldiers is described in such passages such as Numbers 31. Its a long passage but basically all the men are killed and then all the women are killed except for the virgins and then the virgins are divided up long with the donkeys and other live stock and given to the soldiers.

Numbers 31 is pretty clear that thousands of virgin women were rounded up and presented as plunder to the soldiers, and again I'm pretty sure they weren't being asked was this what they wanted.
    I'm sure the women weren't asked if they wanted to be taken to Israel to work as domestic servants or slaves. But, again, I don't see any mention of rape or marriage there - do you?
    I do actually have a genuine question about Numbers 31:40

What does it mean that 32 virgins were "tribute" for the Lord? Now I could jump the gun and say that they were executed, but the Israelites genuinely didn't seem big on the human sacrifice thing, so that seems unlikely. The priest ends up with 32 virgins but it is not particularly clear what he is supposed to do with them? Did they end up his wives?

Any thoughts?
    They were most likely given to the Levites. The tribes of Levi (from where the priests and temple workers came) had no territorial inheritance in the Promised Land, and were not landowners or soldiers. They did have small-holdings in the Levitical cities, and they ministered by rota in the Temple and received tithes as income from the other Israelites. So, most likely, the women who were 'tribute' to the Lord were to work in the homes and fields of the Levites.

Just a note about siege warfare. It was common practice, certainly up to the last few centuries, for besieged cities to be given the option of surrender. If they did so then the inhabitants would be spared, although the military men might still be enslaved, depending on how negotiations went.

However, if a city resisted until the walls were breached, then the rules of war meant that the inhabitants would all be killed. It sounds horrendous to modern ears (and certainly would have beeen horrendous if you were one of the inhabitants) but that was the equivalent of the Geneva Convention for many many centuries. The reasoning was that the death toll (more by disease than anything else) tended to be so high among besieging armies that long sieges should be discouraged.

So, in this context, what would an army do with the women and children of a conquered town? They could, of course, kill them - and that was entirely permissable under the rules of war. They could leave the women and children defenceless in a ruined city filled with men's corpses - in which case it would be a toss up whether they would starve to death, die of disease, or be picked off by bands of marauders. Or they could take them with them and absorb them into their own nation (many armies avoided this as it meant a huge burden of feeding them as they returned home).

So, to take the women and children back to Israel was hardly the worst option - and may well have been what the women themselves would have chosen as the least worse option.

To be a slave under these circumstances was certainly not comparable to the enslavement of Africans in the nineteenth century, nor even a Roman slave - we are not talking about chain gangs harvesting sugar cane. Nor would it have been a picnic either. Think more a half way house between what we commonly think of as slavery and the domestic servants of Victorian England as portrayed in 'Upstairs Downstairs'. Israel's laws were quite liberal in how they instructed the Jews to show kindness and mewrcy to the aliens who lived among them.

Over the centuries some societies deveoped creative roles for such slaves. For example, the Ottoman Empire trained captured Christian boys as soldiers. They formed the Janissaries - a fanatically committed military unit that were the equivalent of the SAS. They were technically slaves, but received salaries and pensions.

So there were many different shades of slavery. We tend to hear 'slavery' and think of industrial scale slavery as in Rome, the West Indies, or Stalin's gulags. So it is important, for the sake of balance and accuracy, to point out that slavery in Israel was probably not like that at all.

Of course in our modern western societies influenced by two thousand years of exposure to New Testament themes and Christian values, we see no form of slavery as acceptable - and that is as it should be.

For the Christian, then, slavery in the Old Testament is a historical issue that must be faced. It should not be glossed over - but neither should it be distorted by false ahistorical perceptions or lurid imaginations of mass rape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

PDN you seem to be saying that whatever was done in the context of the time was neither right or wrong just how things were but maybe a little better when done by Gods people and God therefore is the justification for this small amount of morality or am I paraphrasing you too much?
    The problem is that we are back where we started. God isn't necessary for the acquirement, people get good ideas as well as bad ones.
    Also no matter how you dress it up you end up an apologist for murder rape genocide and a whole load of things. Why? why not condemn thees things or is it a 'my side is right' kind of thing? I see more human behavior in the bible than God.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    PDN you seem to be saying that whatever was done in the context of the time was neither right or wrong just how things were but maybe a little better when done by Gods people and God therefore is the justification for this small amount of morality or am I paraphrasing you too much?
    Sorry, I'm finding that sentence really hard to follow. Not trying to be funny, but it might just be the lack of punctuation. Could you restate it a biit more clearly?
    The problem is that we are back where we started. God isn't necessary for the acquirement, people get good ideas as well as bad ones.
    I don't see that as a problem. People get good ideas and bad ideas. I think we would all agree on that - wouldn't we? :confused:
    Also no matter how you dress it up you end up an apologist for murder rape genocide and a whole load of things. Why? why not condemn thees things or is it a 'my side is right' kind of thing? I see more human behavior in the bible than God.
    Tbh, I think that's a ludicrous accusation. I'm not acting as an apologist for anything. I'm not an Israelite so 'my side' doesn't come into it.

I read in the Old Testament about things that happened, and I try my best to understand them. I'm not going to pretend that some kind of mass rape occurred if the evidence suggests otherwise. I find the genocide stuff very hard to understand, but I certainly am not going to cherry pick which bits of the Bible suit me and me which don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

And lets be honest, that is the more likely interpretation, agreed? If you looked at the text completely independently to any theological issues.[/QUOTE]

No it isn't, and if you were looking at it objectively instead of with an agenda, you would most likely agree with this.

The Deuteronomy verses are trotted out dutifully by those who don't believe and don't like the idea of a sovereign God whenever a discussion arises. But then what's kinda funny is that the bluster and hysterical accusations of rape and the like are then nowhere to be found in the kind of format suggested by those accusing them of same.

'Take these as plunder for yourselves' - the common acceptance of the word 'plunder' is the 'takings' of a victory over another force. Just because the word 'women' is there, atheists race to make the less likely, but more satisfying (for them) conclusion.

Sorry, I'm finding that sentence really hard to follow. Not trying to be funny, but it might just be the lack of punctuation. Could you restate it a biit more clearly?
    Sorry, posting in a hurry, I'l rephrase.
    PDN you seem to be saying that whatever was done in the context of the time, was neither right or wrong, just how things were; but maybe with more morality when done by Gods people, and God therefore is the justification for this small amount of morality. Or am I paraphrasing you too much?
    I don't see that as a problem. People get good ideas and bad ideas. I think we would all agree on that - wouldn't we? :confused:
    We do and I think it not all we agree on:)

Tbh, I think that's a ludicrous accusation. I'm not acting as an apologist for anything. I'm not an Israelite so 'my side' doesn't come into it.

I read in the Old Testament about things that happened, and I try my best to understand them. I'm not going to pretend that some kind of mass rape occurred if the evidence suggests otherwise. I find the genocide stuff very hard to understand, but I certainly am not going to cherry pick which bits of the Bible suit me and me which don't.
    That last bit has become clear to me from a Newsite post so lets go to that
    The Deuteronomy verses are trotted out dutifully by those who don't believe and don't like the idea of a sovereign God whenever a discussion arises.
    Sovereign God, thats the issue isn't it. The objections are presupposing a sovereign God who's character, if the same as the sales pitch, would never allow this kind of thing to happen.
    Once you introduce the idea of what was normal or typical for the time and 'in a historical context' dose just that, then relativism is the discussion. Thats a pin to your consistent God balloon.
    How do you get to use the bible as justification for anything if not for everything without contextualizing and then why put God into the context, it works just as well without Him?

Sovereign God, thats the issue isn't it. The objections are presupposing a sovereign God who's character, if the same as the sales pitch, would never allow this kind of thing to happen.
    No, I don't think that's true - certainly not according to my 'pitch'. The Israelites did attack cities, and they did slay the inhabitants.

No-one is denying that as far as I can see.
    Once you introduce the idea of what was normal or typical for the time and 'in a historical context' dose just that, then relativism is the discussion. Thats a pin to your consistent God balloon.
    How do you get to use the bible as justification for anything if not for everything without contextualizing and then why put God into the context, it works just as well without Him?
    No, I don't agree there either.

Historical context is necessary to understand what exactly did or didn't happen. God's character doesn't change, but our circumstances do.

I don't put God into the Old Testament because it 'needs' Him. The Old Testament is all about God, and Jesus told us it is God's Word. If you want to read the OT without seeing God in it then that's up to you - but I'm going to follow what Jesus said. Otherwise I don't worship the real Christ, as revealed in history, but I would end up worshipping a Christ (and a God) made by me in my own image with anything I don't understand neatly edited out.

Er, that is what I quite clearly said in the quote you cited, yes. One of those optiions would, by any modern definition, be classed as rape,

No, to be honest, it isn't.

Let's look at this from a purely historical standpoint. Throughout history it has been common for conquerors of cities to rape women. This can be seen in the Ancient Persians, in the Crusades (from both sides), and even in the last century (try reading Antony Beevor's harrowing account of the downfall of Berlin at the hands of Soviet troops in 1945).

It has also been common for women to voluntarily become wives of the soldiers that have conquered them. This was particularly so in ancient times, when victory in war was seen as a sign of divine favour, and when marriage was often viewed as a strategic alliance rather than a love affair. But this has also occurred in the last century, as when German women married American GIs.

So, the question is, does the practice in Deut. 21 sound more like a terrified fraulein being raped by the Red Army or more like a German woman marrying a GI and getting a meal ticket to the land of the free?

The stipulation that the woman must be given time to mourn her husband, extraordinary for that time in history, certainly contrasts greatly with the usual practice by which soldiers would gang rape conquered women as soon as a city fell.

Then we take into account the stories in Scripture of Rahab and Abigail - women who readily agreed to throw in their lot with those who would have previously been their enemies, and, apparently willingly, married them.

So, leaving aside any theological considerations, I would probably be inclined, on historical and textual grounds, to see the non-rape option as more likely. But I'm not ideologically wedded to that, and would be prepared to change my mind if evidence were presented to support the other view.

That would be rather inconsistent though with the instruction to take the women you wanted, and the practical examples of this in passages such as Numbers where no consideration over whether the women wanted to go or not is given.

You seem to think that if they didn't gang rape them then and their then it is likely that the women wanted to go with them. That to me is simply setting up a false dichotomy.

A more plausible outcome than either of those, given the Israelites instructions on fornication and focus on sexual relations inside marriage, was that these women were forced into marriages, marriages where rape would not have been uncommon.

For all we know lots of the women might have been perfectly happy to go with the soldiers, after all their city had just been destroyed and all the men folk killed, what they faced being left they may have even considered worse.

But my point is that there is nothing to suggest that what the women wanted was of any consideration to the soldiers.
    I don't see any mention of rape there, or even of marriage, do you? You might as well argue that they raped the children and the livestock too.

I'm sure the women weren't asked if they wanted to be taken to Israel to work as domestic servants or slaves. But, again, I don't see any mention of rape or marriage there - do you?

The focus on selecting only the virgins would imply that the use of the women as plunder was sexual.

Or is there something I'm missing, was there another historical reason to kill the men and women with wives and take only the women who had never slept with a man (or depending on interpretation of the passages the women too young to have slept with a man).
    They were most likely given to the Levites.

The passage describes the Levites share coming from the communities bounty. The Lord's tribute, given to the priest, came from the soldiers share. The Levites got 320 virgins, where as the priest got 32.

Was just wondering, I don't think they were sacrificed, there seems little evidence to suggest that the Israelites performed human sacrifice. My own take would be that they simple became slaves for the priest.

28 From the soldiers who fought in the battle, set apart as tribute for the LORD one out of every five hundred, whether people, cattle, donkeys or sheep. 29 Take this tribute from their half share and give it to Eleazar the priest as the LORD’s part. 30 From the Israelites’ half, select one out of every fifty, whether people, cattle, donkeys, sheep or other animals. Give them to the Levites, who are responsible for the care of the LORD’s tabernacle.”
    Just a note about siege warfare. It was common practice, certainly up to the last few centuries, for besieged cities to be given the option of surrender. If they did so then the inhabitants would be spared, although the military men might still be enslaved, depending on how negotiations went.

However, if a city resisted until the walls were breached, then the rules of war meant that the inhabitants would all be killed. It sounds horrendous to modern ears (and certainly would have beeen horrendous if you were one of the inhabitants) but that was the equivalent of the Geneva Convention for many many centuries. The reasoning was that the death toll (more by disease than anything else) tended to be so high among besieging armies that long sieges should be discouraged.

So, in this context, what would an army do with the women and children of a conquered town? They could, of course, kill them - and that was entirely permissable under the rules of war. They could leave the women and children defenceless in a ruined city filled with men's corpses - in which case it would be a toss up whether they would starve to death, die of disease, or be picked off by bands of marauders. Or they could take them with them and absorb them into their own nation (many armies avoided this as it meant a huge burden of feeding them as they returned home).

So, to take the women and children back to Israel was hardly the worst option - and may well have been what the women themselves would have chosen as the least worse option.

Agreed, it shouldn't be distorted by false ahistorical perceptions.

One of these is the idea that after they killed all the men and boys in a sieged city it was actually the kindest thing to do to take all the women and children back to be slaves.

In many instances that may have been the case (in the same way that being a slave in America was "kinder" than being thrown over board on the trip from Africa), but we shouldn't kid ourselves that the motivation for the conquering army was ethical treatment of prisoners of war by relative standards.

The Israelites were not sitting around thinking what is the most ethical way to deal with the people left over. They were plunder and bounty, the spoils of war. The ones that had use were kept, the ones that didn't have use or who posed future threat were executed.

This thinking is demonstrated again in Numbers where Moses orders his soldiers back to kill every boy and every woman who has known a man, and to keep only the young virgins for themselves.

God was not instructing the soldiers to take responsibility for those left beyond, he was saying take from them as you wish and use them as you wish they are your reward for fighting for me.

So I'm with you but about the no distortions but even now you are trying to put a slightly favorable slant on these utterly brutal and horrific actions. Of course there were mass rapes, but frankly this is no more lurid than any of the other descriptions of mass executions. I find it some what odd that Christians get hung up over the idea that mass rapes make the Israelites come off worse than all the other things they did, oh we can't have any suggestion of mass raping that would be unethical.

The soldiers were not being told to spare the virgins and give them a better life, they were being told to kill everyone else and only take what they wanted from the virgins. Trying to pretend that the Israelites were carrying out honorable warfare, where they killed who they had to kill and then offered the survivors a better life than if they had just been left to rot in the ruin city, is an ahistorial distortion.

Does this make the Israelites any worse than anyone else of the time? No, certainly not. But it was not the Geneva convention of its time.

Which of course brings us back to the original point, distorting the Bible to make it more palatable to modern Christians.

Newsite wrote: »

No it isn't, and if you were looking at it objectively instead of with an agenda, you would most likely agree with this.[/quote]

Telling me I'm wrong but not explaining why is some what pointless.
    Newsite wrote: »
    The Deuteronomy verses are trotted out dutifully by those who don't believe and don't like the idea of a sovereign God whenever a discussion arises. But then what's kinda funny is that the bluster and hysterical accusations of rape and the like are then nowhere to be found in the kind of format suggested by those accusing them of same.

'Take these as plunder for yourselves' - the common acceptance of the word 'plunder' is the 'takings' of a victory over another force. Just because the word 'women' is there, atheists race to make the less likely, but more satisfying (for them) conclusion.

Ok. What is the more likely conclusion?

The passage describes the Levites share coming from the communities bounty. The Lord's tribute, given to the priest, came from the soldiers share. The Levites got 320 virgins, where as the priest got 32.

Was just wondering, I don't think they were sacrificed, there seems little evidence to suggest that the Israelites performed human sacrifice. My own take would be that they simple became slaves for the priest.

Ah, my bad. The Levites received tithes from the people, and the priests received a tithe of tithes (ie one tenth of what the Levites got). So that would explain why they got 32.

The priests, the descendants of Aaron, were not full-time at the Temple. They were divided into 24 shifts (or 'courses') and so, for most of the year, they, like the Levites, kept their own small holdings. So these women most likely worked for them as domestic servants or slaves.

No, I don't think that's true - certainly not according to my 'pitch'. The Israelites did attack cities, and they did slay the inhabitants.
    OK so if they did this was it with the blessing of God, under instruction of God or under the delusion that it was what God would have wanted?
    Two inferences here, 1. God is a capricious monster. 2. God dosn't give a sh1t.
    Other option, God doesn't exist and people made stuff up.
    My problem isn't whether their is or isn't a God, it's the nature of God and how people claim to know what He wants based on a bible that they interpret to suit their biases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

No it isn't, and if you were looking at it objectively instead of with an agenda, you would most likely agree with this.

Telling me I'm wrong but not explaining why is some what pointless.

Ok. What is the more likely conclusion?[/QUOTE]

You've already been given an explanation why.

You should try an experiment. Show the Deut verses which you've quoted about to a teenager or someone with zero views and very little familiarity with the Bible. Ask them if they feel that a reading of those verses - based solely on the words alone - looks like God is giving permission to rape the captured women, or otherwise condoning it.

You might be surprised at what you hear.

• Advertisement

That would be rather inconsistent though with the instruction to take the women you wanted, and the practical examples of this in passages such as Numbers where no consideration over whether the women wanted to go or not is given.
    No consideration was given as to whether or not they wanted to go back to Israel. Your idea that they were forced into marriages without consent is an argument from silence.
    You seem to think that if they didn't gang rape them then and their then it is likely that the women wanted to go with them. That to me is simply setting up a false dichotomy.
    No, that isn't what I said, as you well know. I'm pointing out that what went on here was something very different from the normal rape of captive women by conquering soldiers.

The women were taken into captivity - that would seem to be a act in which they had no choice. But I don't see where the text says that they were forced into marriage.
    A more plausible outcome than either of those, given the Israelites instructions on fornication and focus on sexual relations inside marriage, was that these women were forced into marriages, marriages where rape would not have been uncommon.

For all we know
    lots of the women might have been perfectly happy to go with the soldiers, after all their city had just been destroyed and all the men folk killed, what they faced being left they may have even considered worse.

But my point is that there is nothing to suggest that what the women wanted was of any consideration to the soldiers.
    More plausible to you, maybe, but not to me.

It's telling that you use the phrase 'for all we know'. The fact is we don't know - and I'm happy to admit that we don't know. But you seem determined to come to one conclusion irrespective of whether there is evidence for knowing it or not.
    The focus on selecting only the virgins would imply that the use of the women as plunder was sexual.

Or is there something I'm missing, was there another historical reason to kill the men and women with wives and take only the women who had never slept with a man (or depending on interpretation of the passages the women too young to have slept with a man).

Yes, there is a historical reason that you are missing.

First of, women who were not virgins were perfectly acceptable as wives - remember Rahab the harlot from Jericho? Or the widows in Deuteronomy who were given time to mourn for their husbands?

The reason why the Midianites were judged so harshly was because they had used their women to entice the Israelites at Peor into sexually immorality (a sin for which God had already judged the Israelite men). Moses gave these instructions (about virgins) so that none of the women involved in that mass strategic seduction would live. The only women who survived were virgins who, by definition, were not involved in that incident.
    Agreed, it shouldn't be distorted by false ahistorical perceptions.

One of these is the idea that after they killed all the men and boys in a sieged city it was actually the kindest thing to do to take all the women and children back to be slaves.

In many instances that may have been the case (in the same way that being a slave in America was "kinder" than being thrown over board on the trip from Africa), but we shouldn't kid ourselves that the motivation for the conquering army was ethical treatment of prisoners of war by relative standards.

I never said that was the Israelites' motivation. So maybe better to address what I do post?
    I find it some what odd that Christians get hung up over the idea that mass rapes make the Israelites come off worse than all the other things they did, oh we can't have any suggestion of mass raping that would be unethical.
    We really would get on better if you cut out this kind of piddling.

I'm not discussing this with you because I can't bear the idea that the Israelites might have committed rape. I'm discussing it with you because yopu made claims which I don't believe are supported by the evidence in the text.

Heck, I acknowledge that the Israelites killed entire cities of people at God's command which I find much more troubling as a Christian than the idea that some women might have been forced unwillingly into marriages! So I'm not disputing the rape thing with you because I want it not to be true - I'm simply pointing out what I genuinely believe, on textual and historical grounds, to be the case. The Israelites killed tons of people - but I don't see the evidence as supporting the rape allegation.

OK so if they did this was it with the blessing of God, under instruction of God or under the delusion that it was what God would have wanted?
    Two inferences here, 1. God is a capricious monster. 2. God dosn't give a sh1t.
    Other option, God doesn't exist and people made stuff up.
    Third option. God did stuff that we are incapable of understanding, due to our inadequate concepts of sin, and our sketchy understanding of what was at stake when the people through whom God was working out his plan were surrounded by hostile tribes determined to exterminate them.

My problem isn't whether their is or isn't a God, it's the nature of God and how people claim to know what He wants based on a bible that they interpret to suit their biases
    No, I think you are the one trying to produce an interpretation of the Bible to suit your biases - by junking all the bits that don't suit you.

What I'm saying is "I don't understand why God ordered so many people to be killed, but I follow the evidence to the conclusion whether it suits my biases or not. God did order the Israelites to kill those people. And I do know that Jesus came and instituted a New Covenant under which such actions can never be repeated."

Would it be more comfortable for me to say that the killings in the OT were just bits that men added by mistake? Hell, yes, of course it would be much more comfortable - but intellectual honesty does not permit me to believe that. I would be doing so out of wishful thinking rather than basing my beliefs on the evidence available to me. And, when push comes to shove, I'm not interested in creating God in my own image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Feel free to correct me if im wrong but

One of the basics principals of science is theres always a cause for every effect.
    And on the otherhand what we know of thermo dynamics is energy cannot be created or destroyed, they both clearly exsist so there must be something out there. Not saying its a christian god , muslim or whatever.
    I fail to see that all this happened by itself.
    I do consider myself a christian but im not blinded , even if christian god is false i still believe in a god

No consideration was given as to whether or not they wanted to go back to Israel. Your idea that they were forced into marriages without consent is an argument from silence.

Correct. It is a sensible one to make though, given that they were married off (if the soldier desired the woman) and no consideration was given to whether the woman herself wished to go back to Israel or not, wouldn't you agree?
    No, that isn't what I said, as you well know. I'm pointing out that what went on here was something very different from the normal rape of captive women by conquering soldiers.

The women were taken into captivity - that would seem to be a act in which they had no choice. But I don't see where the text says that they were forced into marriage.

When you go to war against your enemies and the LORD your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife.
    More plausible to you, maybe, but not to me.

It's telling that you use the phrase 'for all we know'. The fact is we don't know - and I'm happy to admit that we don't know. But you seem determined to come to one conclusion irrespective of whether there is evidence for knowing it or not.

It seems more that you are determined to leave ambiguity, possibly for the benefit of your fellow Christians who might find these passages for troubling than you seem to do.

As Newsite asked, as I'm sure would be the first question into the mind of many Christians, Do you actually think that God condones rape?
    Yes, there is a historical reason that you are missing.

First of, women who were not virgins were perfectly acceptable as wives - remember Rahab the harlot from Jericho? Or the widows in Deuteronomy who were given time to mourn for their husbands?

The reason why the Midianites were judged so harshly was because they had used their women to entice the Israelites at Peor into sexually immorality (a sin for which God had already judged the Israelite men). Moses gave these instructions (about virgins) so that none of the women involved in that mass strategic seduction would live. The only women who survived were virgins who, by definition, were not involved in that incident.

See, that is a perfectly sensible interpretation and I'm more than happy to accept that.
    I never said that was the Israelites' motivation. So maybe better to address what I do post?

I'm trying to but I'm struggling to see what point you were trying to make with your note on siege war fare.

There seems to be nothing in that that makes the Israelites come off any better than any of the other barbaric tribes of the time, so how does it have bearing on the discussion here over whether the Bible describes God condoning raping and pillaging and other atrocities that modern Christians find deeply troubling?

No, I think you are the one trying to produce an interpretation of the Bible to suit your biases - by junking all the bits that don't suit you.

What I'm saying is "I don't understand why God ordered so many people to be killed, but I follow the evidence to the conclusion whether it suits my biases or not. God did order the Israelites to kill those people. And I do know that Jesus came and instituted a New Covenant under which such actions can never be repeated."

Would it be more comfortable for me to say that the killings in the OT were just bits that men added by mistake? Hell, yes, of course it would be much more comfortable - but intellectual honesty does not permit me to believe that. I would be doing so out of wishful thinking rather than basing my beliefs on the evidence available to me. And, when push comes to shove, I'm not interested in creating God in my own image.

The issue is that it is easier to consider killing still in moral terms (Willian Craig Lane suggests for example that by killing the children the soldiers were actually just sending them to heaven quickly rather than leaving them to suffer and starve to death), and justify slavery in moral terms (well it was better than being left to starve to death since all the men were gone and they had no way to support themselves, and slavery wasn't as bad as we think based on African American slavery)

The reason rape is often brought up is because it is harder to find any moral justification for rape, and thus this seems to be the actions that Christians are most reluctant to agree happened under the order of God in the Old Testament (I'm talking in general, not specifically you).

So I'm not jumping the gun with you (and to be fair like a lot of Christians when they discuss this you are being quite cagey with your responses) -

Do you believe that God condoned rape in the Old Testament?

Third option. God did stuff that we are incapable of understanding, due to our inadequate concepts of sin, and our sketchy understanding of what was at stake when the people through whom God was working out his plan were surrounded by hostile tribes determined to exterminate them.

See, we agree more than we disagree, not sure the poor old Canaanites were as much hostile as acting in self defense though.

Indulge me here while I rephrase this bit
    Would it be more comfortable for me to say that the killings in the OT were just bits that men did on purpose and used god as an excuse Hell, yes, of course it would be much more comfortable - but intellectual honesty does not permit me to believe that. ...... I'm not interested in creating God in my own image.
    Theirs the problem, if your not sure but accept that God did order the murder of people then Jesus said "no more of that and anyway it was exceptional circumstances" then god(note hes not worth a capital now) is just another mans image. Why not make him in your own image, why get an off the shelf god?
    How about God isn't as easy to grasp as we think, we get it wrong, we might still be getting it wrong. Of course that means no more 'God said' arguments so I don't see it taking off anytime soon.

Theirs the problem, if your not sure but accept that God did order the murder of people then Jesus said "no more of that and anyway it was exceptional circumstances" then god(note hes not worth a capital now) is just another mans image. Why not make him in your own image, why get an off the shelf god?
    Not at all. The exact opposite is true. I believe in God as He has chosen to revela Himself - no other options available. Just because you struggle to accept who God reveals Himself to be doesn't mean he is another man's image.

To cherry pick which bits of God's self-revelation you accept is to make God in a man's image.
    How about God isn't as easy to grasp as we think, we get it wrong, we might still be getting it wrong.
    Which is exactly what I'm doing. I trust in God, even when I can't get my head around something He did thousands of years ago. And if I turn out to be wrong then I'm prepared to accept that. It wouldn't be the first time I've got something wrong.
    Of course that means no more 'God said' arguments so I don't see it taking off anytime soon.
    I think that's a cop-out. We are encouraged to seek God. Just because there's stuff we don't fully understand doesn't justify dumping the idea of revelation. Aren't you glad that William Wilberforce argued that God said the North Atlantic slave trade was wrong? Aren't you glad that Martin Luther King argued that God said racial segregation was unChristian?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Do you believe that God condoned rape in the Old Testament?

Nope

"But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die." Deuteronomy 22:25

"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives." Deuteronomy 22:28-29

Nope

"But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die." Deuteronomy 22:25

"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives." Deuteronomy 22:28-29

Do you believe a husband can rape his wife? If you do do you believe that the Israelites had this concept?

(btw you left out the bit about the woman raped in a town ...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

If people believe in it, is Scientology or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Robblegobble* as real as the Christian God?

*The Robblegobble is the entity that made God, The argument for it's existence is the same as the the universe must have been created by 'something'. The fact that God doesn't believe in a Robblegobble (1st commandment) makes God an atheist!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement