Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit /Account Overdrawn - AIB

Options
  • 11-11-2011 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All,
    I hope that someone can please advise on this? Sorry for long post.

I am an unemployed lone parent - my only source of income is my allowance which went in last Thursday 4th Nov. I live week to week on my allowance which I cannot survive on as it is. On Friday 5th a direct debit for Airtricity for €420 was deducted from my account - putting my account overdrawn by €245. Leaving me penniless for the weekend. I get my bills by email from Airtricity. Which I have now changed because I did not receive notification of this bill. I am disputing the amount of the bill as there this is a massive amount and more than I've ever incurred in the past - it has been estimated according to Airtricity. Because of my financial situation I am extremely careful not to waste electricity etc and have cut back on everything just to be able to put food on the table for my two children.

I am a long time customer of AIB bank and do not have an overdraft facility. If in the past when I was working if a direct debit was presented they would return it unpaid. This has been the case for years. So on Monday I rang my local branch as the funds had not been returned to my account. The teller told me it would be Monday before the credit dept in Dublin looked at it and returned it, that I would see it back in my account on Tuesday - she asked had i been overdrawn before and I said yes, and because I do not have overdraft facility in place they have charged me for unpaid DD fee's and returned funds to account. I told her I needed that money returned as I had nothing to live on and that i'd contact Airtricity myself to make arrangements myself and query the amount. However, the money still wasn't returned to my account so I rang branch on Wednesday couldn't get first teller so explained again to them the situation, and that I was extremely concerned that my lone parents was going in on Thurs again and would be taken to cover this overdraft. The teller assured me that they would sort it out and that I wouldn't be left without money, that she'd call me back. I didn't get a call back and yesterday again all of my allowance was taken to cover this overdraft. I rang the bank again and asked for lady that was to call me back. She was unavailable. I spoke with the lady I spoke with on Monday and went through it all again. The attitude I got from her was shocking to say the least. She denied saying funds would be put back in my account. She said she said that it would probably be paid. This is not true, my brother heard conversation also. I would have insisted that they do not pay it. She then said there was nothing they could do. I said they had no right to cover this bill and she told me it was between me and Airtricity that I had entered an agreement with them. I said I would contact them myself as I said on Monday and make arrangements over this bill as its nearly double my normal bills and I do not have the funds to pay in one go. But because AIB have suddenly afforded me this overdraft I am now left for two full weeks without money. She said there is nothing they can do it's too late now. I argued the fact that I contacted them first thing on Monday and said that I do not want this direct debit paid as I did not receive notification and am disputing the amount of bill. She basically told me she was busy and there was nothing they can do. I asked can they give me an overdraft to allow me feed my children and said No because I am on Social Welfare. Then I asked if I could file an Indemnity Claim - and was told No. It's too late now for that. So I asked to speak with the manager because she was very unhelpful and I simply cannot go a second week without money and the bank have no right to do as they please with my money. They have also added a referral fee of €5.15 to my account now too. She said she's a member of management team and they won't tell me any different. I hung up the phone and contacted airtricity for partial refund but they have refused.

I rang back the bank again and asked to make an appointment with the manager...I spoke with a different teller to make the appointment and he was to check Managers diary to get suitable time today. I got a call back from Teller from Monday and earlier that day, saying I believe you were on again looking to Meet with Manager I said yes, she said "look I've spoken to him, and we can give you €200 tomorrow to keep you going, but your account will still be overdrawn and this will be deducted again next thurs" you need to get the funds back from Airtricity yourself. I was so upset at that stage that I just said fine. she said come into the branch tomorrow and ask for me - there's no need for you to speak with manager. This doesn't help situation as next week I will be in very same boat again.

My question is can AIB get away with this? Is there anything I can do? I can't be left without money like that because AIB suddenly change their minds and pay direct debits that have insufficient funds?

I'm going into bank this morning and have no idea how to approach this as I am getting nowhere. I was going to go to my Community welfare officer to see can I get assistance until this is resolved but I am not sure if they assist in cases like this? Also I have been to SVP before and cannot go for assistance to them again so soon. Don't know what to do?

thanks for taking time to read post. Apologies its so long.

thanks for any advice -please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That is a disaster, it happened o me years ago with ge capital, they took 2 monthly car payments in 1 week. As u said usually the money goes back into your account after 1 working day. It is true the bank can decide to pay any dd even though you dont have an over draft. I went to the bank and caused a scene as i was stuck in limerick with no way home. They made a call and reveresed buth payments. I would write to the bank and call it a formal complaint, your next port of call is the financial ombodsparson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Becks2

thanks for reply.
    that's exactly what I did yesterday, I wrote the letter to the manager and he rang me back and he's arranged an overdraft for a few months to cover this. He was extremely nice and very helpful. I wish I had just gone to him on the first day to avoid all the stress and worry. It's sorted now though. Even though the onus is on me to have funds there to cover direct debits this bill is very high and was totally unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

This is why you should never sign up for direct debits.

You are giving a third party (Airtricity) control over your account.

I've worked in banking for many many years and have seen the sh*t that direct debits cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

The first day the DD hit the bank have a way of unpaying that direct debit, and it usually takes about 24 hours for it to be reversed. When they say you were so far overdrawn they should have unpaid that direct debit straight away.

Could the bank not have given you a temporary overdraft facility on your account until you got the money back from airtricity ? Does not seem fair for them to be charging you extra fees. You should complain formally to them in writing, and if it is not resloved to your satisfaction you can take the case to ombudsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Becks2

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    The first day the DD hit the bank have a way of unpaying that direct debit, and it usually takes about 24 hours for it to be reversed. When they say you were so far overdrawn they should have unpaid that direct debit straight away.

Could the bank not have given you a temporary overdraft facility on your account until you got the money back from airtricity ? Does not seem fair for them to be charging you extra fees. You should complain formally to them in writing, and if it is not resloved to your satisfaction you can take the case to ombudsman.

Hi Rebel,
    yes, I went in yesterday and made formal complaint in writing to the manager who rang me back was very helpful - he has arranged an overdraft to cover this for a few months until it's resolved with Airtricity. In the meantime I am cancelling direct debits with them and have requested paper bills from now on as I did not receive notification of this bill in the beginning. I will not be caught out like that again that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Banks have to unpay direct debits on the day of presentation.
    The transaction is reversed overnight and the funds should be "available again" within 24 hours.

The only exception is direct debits presented on a Monday. The funds are debited from your account on Saturday morning (following Friday's clearing update). If the bank decides to unpay the direct debit then this action is processed on Monday and funds are "available again" on Tuesday morning.

In this case it's fairly easy to guess what's happened. AIB should have bounced the direct debit. They didn't - someone slipped up - and you are suffering as a result.

Advertisement