Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you pro or anti-war?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭

I'm just curious to see the answers, haven't seen a poll like this in a few years so are you pro or anti-war and for what reasons?

War? 145 votes

Pro
    0% 0 votes
    Neutral
    22% 32 votes
    Anti
    15% 23 votes
    Other?
    62% 90 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Pro, It'd leave way too many unemployed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm generally anti-war, because it's been a while since I've considered one justified. However, I recognise war as an occasionally necessary, terrible evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

War with who.?
    I am lost on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not sure if serious.

Why would anyone be pro-war?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

UN say we are about to reach 7 billion population on this planet soon.. it must be a time for war... though its all arse really. why go killing each other? ultimately this species will eat itself... won't it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

War is human nature, the strong destroy the weak and take their land, with the population rising and resources dwindling its going to become more common, the anti war crowd will be the first to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

The notion of being pro-war for the sake of it sounds pathological

There’s a cult worship of soldiers as heroes, which I find odd - it feeds on the notion that WWII allied soldiers were part of the ‘greatest generation’.

I think it’s tragic that that WWI (anti-war) poets are used in the UK as part of the Poppy commemoration such that anti-war poets are incorporated into the very world they resented.

Having said that, I love military history – especially Montgomery’s or Keegan’s account of the history of war fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Pro, It'd leave way too many unemployed!
    The planet of the apes?

Anti, unless it's for survival, I'm not a banker!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Everyones anti-war until they're threatened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

RubyRoss wrote: »
    There’s a cult worship of soldiers as heroes, which I find odd - it feeds on the notion that WWII allied soldiers were part of the ‘greatest generation’.

In fairness, storming a beach under machine gun fire while your buddies were in pieces all around you is pretty heroic, compared to some of today's heroes, soccer players who kick a ball around a field for 90 mins... Everyone has a completely different definition of a hero i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I think it’s tragic that that WWI (anti-war) poets are used in the UK as part of the Poppy commemoration such that anti-war poets are incorporated into the very world they resented.

Having said that, I love military history – especially Montgomery’s or Keegan’s account of the history of war fare.
    STAND BACK!!!!

Its astudent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think war is sometimes necessary... Is that being pro war?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

I’m anti-war myself BTW I think political leaders should duke it out between themselves on pay-per-view instead of sending people to die for them.

Dodd wrote: »
    War with who.?
    I am lost on this thread.

There's 31 on-going wars, you choose.

There's 31 on-going wars, you choose.

List or GTFO :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Wars for Some, Miniature American Flags for everyone else

talkinyite wrote: »

They've already taken Libya off the list, peace hasn't been declared there yet. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I think war is sometimes necessary... Is that being pro war?

No Wolfe it is sometimes a needed and just situation but never the 'no alternative' option it is often painted.
    i have read too many of your posts to think you believe otherwise.

Ah the bowlddd wiki, it's always correct init

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

They've already taken Libya off the list, peace hasn't been declared there yet. :confused:

a slight overlook because Syria is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

*Sits down, load's rifle and waits for some oxygen wasting soap dodging crusty to say the words constitutional neutrality*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I always ask myself what is war good for?

absolutely nothing, uh-huh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Poppy commemorations aren't pro war, they are to remember people like Sassoon ans Owen who were conscripted and paid the ultimate price.

I know Keegan had a punch up with Billy Bremner in a charity shield game, but I'd hardly consider him a war expert.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

In Ireland we love our enemies...Everyone and Everything that's bad for us.Booze fags drugs violence gossip adultery and any sort of mayhem you care to mention.We don't even recognise our enemies anymore only touch us in the pocket area and war is imminent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Depends on the reasons for going to war...

Secretive wars for resources dressed up as democratic crusades: against.

Properly sanctioned wars to free people from a regime or tyrananical rule: for.

War for the sake of giving the militayr something to do and as an excuse to spend billions on a war effort; very much against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

stovelid wrote: »

Say it again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

jugger0 wrote: »
    In fairness, storming a beach under machine gun fire while your buddies were in pieces all around you is pretty heroic, compared to some of today's heroes, soccer players who kick a ball around a field for 90 mins... Everyone has a completely different definition of a hero i suppose.

they had football heroes back then too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

War can rarely be justified and should be avoided at all costs. This appears pretty obvious.

There may certain circumstances whereby war is either justified or unavoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

stovelid wrote: »

Theres got to be a better way

Advertisement