Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture repairs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Do you have a floor pump with a pressure gauge or are you using a pump in a garage forecourt. I don't trust those pumps designed for car tyres to give an accurate reading.

By the way, I would advise you to run away now. Asking a simple question on this forum is akin to getting your tie caught in a shredder.

I have a floor pump with a pressure gauge.
    Well you guys have given me plenty of food for thought, thanks a mill!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

On the subject of punctures, my Brompton keeps getting punctures in storage. I leave it in the spare room, since it's only for special occasions where I feel I wouldn't like to leave a bike locked in the street, or need to combine public transport. To keep dust off, I shroud it in a big black garbage bag.

The mystery is: I've checked the tyres for firmness one week and they're fine; the next week, I go to use the Brompton and the back wheel has a puncture. A very bad one, in fact -- the type that won't let you get any pressure into the tube at all, and usually can't be patched. This has happened about three times now.

The spare room is a south-facing one, and gets quite warm when the sun shines. Brompton tubes are small-volume and high-pressure. Is it possible that the tubes are getting so hot under the garbage bag in a warm room that the tube is blowing due to gaseous expansion?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Is it possible that the tubes are getting so hot under the garbage bag in a warm room that the tube is blowing due to gaseous expansion?

Unlikely, but something like a rim irregularity is more likely to puncture the tube under higher pressure.

Will have another look for irregularities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

On the subject of punctures, my Brompton keeps getting punctures in storage. I leave it in the spare room, since it's only for special occasions where I feel I wouldn't like to leave a bike locked in the street, or need to combine public transport. To keep dust off, I shroud it in a big black garbage bag.

The mystery is: I've checked the tyres for firmness one week and they're fine; the next week, I go to use the Brompton and the back wheel has a puncture. A very bad one, in fact -- the type that won't let you get any pressure into the tube at all, and usually can't be patched. This has happened about three times now.

The spare room is a south-facing one, and gets quite warm when the sun shines. Brompton tubes are small-volume and high-pressure. Is it possible that the tubes are getting so hot under the garbage bag in a warm room that the tube is blowing due to gaseous expansion?

If there are existing ptches on the tubes, the heat can often cause them to lift or become brittle!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Will have another look for irregularities.

Do you have a cat?

reilig wrote: »
    If there are existing ptches on the tubes, the heat can often cause them to lift or become brittle!!

Good point, but these are fresh, and quite big punctures, acquired during storage. When the bike was put away, the rear tube was fully inflated, not even a slow puncture. Then a few weeks later, the rear tube is deflated, and has such a big puncture that it can't hold any air for any time, even using a track pump. When I locate the puncture, it's very visible -- and pretty much too big to patch. But the bike hasn't left the room in the meantime.

It's definitely happened at least twice, maybe three times.
    -K2- wrote: »
    Do you have a cat?

The wife was thinking it might be mice!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you tried swapping tyres between rims? - it should help establish if it's a tyre or rim problem (or with a bit of luck, maybe the issue may even go away)

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you tried swapping tyres between rims? - it should help establish if it's a tyre or rim problem (or with a bit of luck, maybe the issue may even go away)
    Good idea. I have had one previous occasion a tyre do something similar, on a non-folder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The wife was thinking it might be mice!

Check the walls and ceiling for flattened mice with no front teeth :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

wicklowvet wrote: »
    As a slight aside what do most folks do with punctured tubes do you repair at home or discard them . i tend to replace tube when out but not sure whether to repair and carry these tubes as spare as i am worried re reliabilty of repaired tube as back up when out on a long spin !!

A well repaired tube should be almost as reliable as a new tube or reliable as makes no difference. I usually pump a bit of air in a while after doing the repair job to see if any escapes. Not alot, as you'll burst the tube.
    Good point, but these are fresh, and quite big punctures, acquired during storage. When the bike was put away, the rear tube was fully inflated, not even a slow puncture. Then a few weeks later, the rear tube is deflated, and has such a big puncture that it can't hold any air for any time, even using a track pump. When I locate the puncture, it's very visible -- and pretty much too big to patch.

I was getting mysterious punctures on one of my wheels. It turned out that there was a slightly raised lip at one of the spoke holes which was protruding up through the rim tape. It didn't feel sharp, even with the rim tape off, but it was enough to puncture the tyres. I sanded it down and it was fine after that. They were really big unpatchable holes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

The Brompton rim tapes are terrible, pinch flats galore, it may not be the cause but I would change them any way, soft rubber or sticky fabric, soo much better:D

Thinking about it a bit more I'd be 90% sure it's the hard plastic rim tape, change it and I'll wager you a large sum you won't have any more problems, that's kind of win, win,haha!

The rim tape seems the likely culprit then. I'll try some rubber rim tape.

Thanks, everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, but carrying a spare wheel into work every day seems a little bit excessive to me. Two spare wheels if you want to be able to replace either.
    Spare bike is the only sensible option, it's what the pros do.

As Pete says a properly patched tube is as strong as an original. I only replace the tube if it is a problem at the valve or otherwise unpatchable.

Note you MUST find the cause of the puncture in the tyre and remove it, or you will just puncture again on your new tube. As such I don't find a massive difference between patching on the spot and putting in a new tube. You need to locate the hole either way. Patching takes 4-5 minutes.

you usually don't need to muck around with a bucket of water or the crayon (whatever the **** thats for). Just sandpaper an area around the hole, bigger than the patch you intend to apply. Sand down any ridges or joins in the rubber. Then put on a small amount of solution. SMALL amount. And let it dry. When it looks dry, apply the patch.

Don't apply a patch to a big wet gloopy glob of solution, however tempting it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

4 Pages about a Puncture? Sheeessshhhh!! :rolleyes:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    4 Pages about a Puncture? Sheeessshhhh!! :rolleyes:

1 and a bit pages, reset your options. Less page clickery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ok..

49 posts about a puncture! Sheeejjjeeesuss!! :D

what do you wanna talk about?

what do you wanna talk about?

Id like to talk about my self, we all know how much I like to do that :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Holyboy wrote: »
    Id like to talk about my self, we all know how much I like to do that :)
    We can do that: So, had any punctures lately?

rp wrote: »
    We can do that: So, had any punctures lately?

Nope, not in a few months, had two in two days on the front a while back, not too bad since I'm running blizzard sport tyres and never seem to get round to pumping them, last time I topped them up they had 40psi in them, I would scold a customer for that!

Holyboy wrote: »
    The Brompton rim tapes are terrible, pinch flats galore, it may not be the cause but I would change them any way, soft rubber or sticky fabric, soo much better:D

Thinking about it a bit more I'd be 90% sure it's the hard plastic rim tape, change it and I'll wager you a large sum you won't have any more problems, that's kind of win, win,haha!

And Holyboy was right. It was the rim tape that was causing the persistent punctures my Brompton was having in storage. It was causing shallow snags on the tube while in use, which weakened the tube, resulting in the air bursting through while in storage.

I covered the plastic rim tape with electrical tape as a temporary measure. I might pop into Bee Cycles and get some proper rim tape. Been meaning to call in and say hello to Holyboy anyway.

Advertisement