Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Deals - Free Landline. Free Netbook or 50eur

Options
  • 23-09-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been asked to look into changing somebody from VodaFone to UPC.

They currently have UPC for tv and pay 48eur every 2 months (I think) for tv, it's only the basic channels as far as I know, about 15 of them?

They have Vodafone talktime plus or something like that aswell, free peak and off peak national calls and always on broadband.

They'd be looking to switch all this to the one UPC package.

Free peak and off peak national calls are very important, good mobile rates too and if possible, free to call maybe 3 or so mobile numebers too? That's what she had with Vodafone, she could call 3 vodafone numbers free any time.

So there's 3 different deals I've heard about, the first I think was a door to door salesman offering free line rental or something like that. Does anyone know more on this? Apparently the deal ended on the 21st though!

Then I saw myself a FREE NETBOOK offer from DID, or 250eur in store voucher instead - Is this as straight forward as it sounds, or do you end up paying a higher monthly price, get into a longer contract or have to sign up to anything with DID?

I also saw there's a boards deal where you get a 50eur voucher signing up through the boards.ie link.

Does anyone know any more about these, the limitations and restrictions etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi cormie

To qualify for the free netbook, you must sign up to all services with UPC in one of our retail partners, as this is their offer (TV, Broadband & Phone, in a bundle.) Full details here www.upc.ie/retailoffer.

If it is just a broadband/phone bundle that is of interest, there is a free HD TV offer, again, all details here www.upc.ie/retailoffer

To find out the detail sof the boards offer, please have a look here www.upc.ie/boardsoffer

This gives you the ability to order 1 product and get it installed free and get a €50 voucher. This is a UPC offer, and is very popular when people are ordering TV with multiroom viewing etc, as the activation charges are waived for boardies that order via the link.

Each offer has its own merits and are both very popular.

Hope that helps

Regards

Jason

cormie wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been asked to look into changing somebody from VodaFone to UPC.

They currently have UPC for tv and pay 48eur every 2 months (I think) for tv, it's only the basic channels as far as I know, about 15 of them?

They have Vodafone talktime plus or something like that aswell, free peak and off peak national calls and always on broadband.

They'd be looking to switch all this to the one UPC package.

Free peak and off peak national calls are very important, good mobile rates too and if possible, free to call maybe 3 or so mobile numebers too? That's what she had with Vodafone, she could call 3 vodafone numbers free any time.

So there's 3 different deals I've heard about, the first I think was a door to door salesman offering free line rental or something like that. Does anyone know more on this? Apparently the deal ended on the 21st though!

Then I saw myself a FREE NETBOOK offer from DID, or 250eur in store voucher instead - Is this as straight forward as it sounds, or do you end up paying a higher monthly price, get into a longer contract or have to sign up to anything with DID?

I also saw there's a boards deal where you get a 50eur voucher signing up through the boards.ie link.

Does anyone know any more about these, the limitations and restrictions etc?

If you want to order new products from us and get a voucher for €50 through this boards offer, (and free activation of product) just click through this link http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/ (Please see the terms & conditions)

- For all customer service queries, please contact 1908.

**I am not authorised to comment in general threads without approval***

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the reply :)

Do you know anything of the offer the sales man would have been talking about? Something about free line rental or something liek that? If this was for a year, this would have a higher value than the retail if line rental was taken as the standard 25eur, over a year that would be 300 saved but I've no details on it.

Multi room viewing isn't a concern at all so maybe the retailoffer would be best suitable in my case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

The UPC phone service does not come through a phone line. What he was probably saying is that you would be saving this amount compared to the likes of Vodafone or Eircom.

Have a look at the UPC website to see the different bundles available.

Thanks, I'll have to ask the person what it was he said but she did say the offer ended on the 21st so I'm not sure if it's even still available.

I've been told by Curry's that I'll probably only qualify for the 125euro voucher as the house I'd be connecting is already with UPC for their tv service. Is there any way to cancel this and sign up again through Curry's? :)

• Advertisement

cormie

You could cancel if you are out of contract, however, you would have to wait 30 days before ordering tv again as our system would automatically reactivate your old account within 30 days.

You can order broadband/phone now in Currys and you will get a €125 voucher off them after you get installed, which you can swap for a small HD TV or use against anything else in their range.

Regards

Jason

I've been told by Curry's that I'll probably only qualify for the 125euro voucher as the house I'd be connecting is already with UPC for their tv service. Is there any way to cancel this and sign up again through Curry's? :)

If you want to order new products from us and get a voucher for €50 through this boards offer, (and free activation of product) just click through this link http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/ (Please see the terms & conditions)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    cormie

You could cancel if you are out of contract, however, you would have to wait 30 days before ordering tv again as our system would automatically reactivate your old account within 30 days.
    You can order broadband/phone now in Currys and you will get a €125 voucher off them after you get installed, which you can swap for a small HD TV or use against anything else in their range.

Regards

Jason

This type of reply regarding what systems do always baffles me:eek:

Surely UPC put the system in place and are therefore responsible for what it does? This type of reply makes it sound as if UPC are being controlled by the system!

Some manager somewhere in UPC put this in place not some abstract system so why cant it be changed if it does not suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Wish I could get the lot but cannot and I live in Sandyford

A month without tv to gain €150, I could do it myself no problem, I don't even have a tv :D but I'm not sure if the householder I'm looking into this for can..

Hi again,
    getting around to possible switching soon for the landline owner.

They will need free anytime calls, I believe this can be got for an extra €5 a month, so basic tv package, always on broadband and free any time local and national calls for €65 a month.

Just wondering, how much are UK calls on this package and also, on vodafone, the owner had 3 nominated numbers they could call for free, one number in particular got a lot of use from, is there any such deal with UPC?

So if I get them to cancel their tv package now and sign up again in a months time, they will be eligible for the full €250 voucher from one of the retail outlets?

• Advertisement

Another question relating to the above. If they were to cancel the basic tv package they pay UPC 48eur for every two months (for rte, tv3, tg4, sky news, sky 1, bbc1, bbc2, eurosport, ch4, e4 and all the 14 or so "basic" channels), would ALL channels go, or would she still be able to get the 4 main Irish ones, RTE1, RTE2, TG4 and TV3?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

They won't bother sending someone out to physically disconnect you in the space of a month which is whats required to cut off analog TV. Took them a few months to get around to cutting off my Mothers TV when she canceled a few years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the idea is to get the full sign up deal of €250 by signing up to a full package, do you reckon if I cancel, the owner will still have full access to TV even though it's been cancelled and then if somebody DOES come out, the owner will still be able to get the 4 basic channels I wonder?

I wonder does it take exactly a month for the name to go off "The system" and for the owner to be recognised as a new customer again?

Hi again, the homeowner is about to go ahead with this. Can anyone please advise on the following..

They currently have:
    • UPC basic tv package - just the basic channels, paying 25eur a month or so. No set top box
    • Vodafone phone and broadband - paying approx 47eur a month, free local, national anytime calls with always on broadband and choice of 3 vodafone numbers to call free any time

They want:
    • UPC package including free anytime local and national calls
    • broadband
    • tv

I've been advised in this post that if they cancel their current tv service, that after 30 days, they can sign up as a new customer completely to avail of the full €250 voucher as opposed to the €125 for current tv customers. They are fine with cancelling the tv for 30 days to gain €125.

I need to know:
    • If their tv is cancelled, will they still be able to receive the 4 basic Irish channels, RTE, RTE2, TG4 and TV3?
    • Will the package they want be available to them through the Curry's deal (full package but also including the free anytime local and national calls, which is usually a fiver extra per month, which they have no problem paying, but need to know they will still qualify for the voucher opting to pay the fiver extra deal)
    • does the information in the post I linked to above signify they'll definitely get the full €250 package I wonder?
    • If the deal goes through and they qualify for the €250, paying the package price for basic tv, always on broadband and home phone with free anytime calls (I believe the usual price is €65 per month), will the monthly price still be €65 per month through Curry's?
    • Will they need to pay any extras, I see installation fee is mentioned above but I see you can do a self install also, but would this require technical and electrical knowledge?

Also, any suggestions on what way to go about making up for losing out on the 3 free vodafone numbers? The home owner has one friend in particular that they speak to for maybe 1 hour a week over the phone. This could add up to quite a sum without a good deal.

Any feedback greatly appreciated as they are looking to do this today or tomorrow :)

Answered this query on another thread to the satisfaction of the OP http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75361533

Regards

Jason

**I am not authorised to comment in general threads without approval***

Hi again Jason,
    The homeowner in question rang to cancel but was told she would have to write or email to cancel and then it would take 30 days notice. Is this the 30 days you were talking about to get the account off the system or would there then be a further 30 days to be seen as a "new" customer? I'm hoping it's only 30 days as this is what I gathered from the above :)

Hi

No, you muist give 30 days notice as we bill ahead. Then after the account has been closed for 30 days you can reorder

Thanks

Jason
    Hi again Jason,
    The homeowner in question rang to cancel but was told she would have to write or email to cancel and then it would take 30 days notice. Is this the 30 days you were talking about to get the account off the system or would there then be a further 30 days to be seen as a "new" customer? I'm hoping it's only 30 days as this is what I gathered from the above :)

Thanks for the reply, so that's 60 days before they can sign up again I guess, good job the offer runs till Feb I guess :)

Advertisement