Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random recipe thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Des wrote: »
    please post the recipe. :)

But of course! :pac:

Currywurst mit Pommes
    There are different types of sausage that can be used for Currywurst, depending on the region. I used Bratwurst that are on sale in Aldi and Lidl.

Between googling and what seemed right to me I came up with something that I think is somewhat similar.

Currysosse

500ml carton of tomato passata
    Squirt of tomato puree
    Sugar
    Pinch of salt
    Teaspoon of paprika
    Teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
    Two teaspoons of medium curry powder
    Glug of Worcestershire sauce

Put everything into a pot and allow to come to a simmer. I found the sauce to be thick enough and it didn't need to reduce.

This would actually be enough for three or four servings.

Pommes

For the chips take four medium-sized potatoes and peel and chip them, making thin chips: 0.25"or so in width. I used my chip maker tool that I got in Lidl. Now leave the chips to soak for a few hours in water.

After soaking take the chips and, let them drain and pat dry with a tea towel.

Heat a pot of oil until it gets hot enough so that a chip dropped into it starts to fizz. Fry the chips until the edges of them just begin to colour. Now take them out and leave to drain.

Wurst

2-3 Bratwürste

Heat your frying pan and place the sausages on it. I have a griddle pan which makes nice grill lines. When they're done on both sides remove them and cut into slices, about 1.5cm in width.

Now return the chips to the oil to finish them. This happens very quickly (ie. within a minute!), as they take on colour and crisp up.

Let them drain and sprinkle on salt, garlic powder and paprika and toss lightly.

Then serve like here:

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=10080

Pour sauce over the slices of sausage and then sprinkle over some curry powder.

The chips are served with ketchup and mayonnaise: Pommes rot-weiss.

Juten Appetit!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

What did you think of it Little Alex? I always find currywurst isn't up to much, and that's in Berlin, just sausage with curry-ketchup!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I like 'em, SRFC, so I was happy enough with the outcome. I think some places buy the sauce ready-made in big tubs and some make their own: Konnopke's, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

Hi all,

Had this at a friend's in the Loire Valley a few weeks ago. They're into their food but are happy to serve something that easy peasy and delish..

Cut a mellon (the smaller, yellow ones) into 2. take out the pips. Pour a shot of Pineau into the resulting hole. Eat!

Each time you eat a piece, the Pineau begins working on the next bit. I know Pineau is hard to get here so I would imagine a red martini might suffice. It's as easy as you can get but it's tres tasty.

CP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Hi all,

Had this at a friend's in the Loire Valley a few weeks ago. They're into their food but are happy to serve something that easy peasy and delish..

Cut a mellon (the smaller, yellow ones) into 2. take out the pips. Pour a shot of Pineau into the resulting hole. Eat!

Each time you eat a piece, the Pineau begins working on the next bit. I know Pineau is hard to get here so I would imagine a red martini might suffice. It's as easy as you can get but it's tres tasty.

CP.
    I like easy.
    Will put this on the to do list at a dinner were going to tomorrow night. Arrive with a melon under one arm and a bottle of red martini under 'tuder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Hi all,

CP.
    Very simple and delicious! You can (very occasionally) buy it in some smaller wine stores, but I get mine online. Has to be served at room temperature though!!

shinikins wrote: »
    Very simple and delicious! You can (very occasionally) buy it in some smaller wine stores, but I get mine online. Has to be served at room temperature though!!

Hi Shinikins, which site do you use? I only brought one bottle home and it's nearly gone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Hi Shinikins, which site do you use? I only brought one bottle home and it's nearly gone :D

You can get it from either frenchwines.ie or curiouswines.ie. The latter has only the one for sale, but its very good and great value at €23. I've found it can be extremely expensive here :mad: If your anywhere near Bray, Hollands Fine Wines also stock it. If you know of anyone coming home from holidays from France the duty free shops sell it too, not as good as the bottles you can buy at the roadside in Bordeaux but pretty nice!!

shinikins wrote: »
    You can get it from either frenchwines.ie or curiouswines.ie. The latter has only the one for sale, but its very good and great value at €23. I've found it can be extremely expensive here :mad: If your anywhere near Bray, Hollands Fine Wines also stock it. If you know of anyone coming home from holidays from France the duty free shops sell it too, not as good as the bottles you can buy at the roadside in Bordeaux but pretty nice!!

Ouch...8 euro in France. (who do I know?!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Hi all,

CP.

You can also do this with Port and add a few raspberries to it ... Yum ! :)
    Enjoy !
    Valerie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Summer Pasta

This is an ideal lunch, or accompaniment to a main meal, is easy to prepare. For best results, make it a day before. I made this yesterday for two vegetarian friends and they absolutely loved it, as did I.

Ingredients

250g cooked, cold pasta (penne is ideal, but it doesn't really matter what type)
    approx. 75ml Olive Oil
    One clove of garlic, finely chopped
    a good sprinkle of dried oregano
    cherry tomatoes
    hallumi cheese (feta can be used, but if it is, add this just before serving as it tends to fall to pieces if left overnight)

Directions

Pour the olive oil into a bowl, add in the garlic and oregano. Stir well and set aside.

Chop the cherry tomatoes into quarters, slice the hallumi cheese into similar size chunks.

Put the pasta into a large mixing bowl and add the olive oil mixture. Mix it well to ensure the pasta is covered completely, ensuring you don't break any of the pasta pieces. Add in the cherry tomatoes and cheese, leave overnight in the fridge, but serve at room temperature.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭LNH666

Not a meal by its self but I love rice and boiled and steamed can get boring, here's a lovely rice as an side.

1 cup uncooked basmati rice
    1 cup stock - veg or chicken - beef and fish can be a bit stong.
    Sage, Thyme, Basil, Oregano, Bay leaf, Chilli basically a "shake" of whatever herbs and spices you like.

Into an oven proof dish. 180 degrees C for 1 hour

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

A quick and easy recipe to resurrect this thread a bit!

Chocolate Biscuit cake

Ingredients:
    225g good quality chocolate (I use Lindt)
    275g butter
    150ml golden syrup
    400g biscuits, broken up (I use a combination of Digestives and either Marietas or Rich Tea, but whatever plain biscuits you like - I used Ginger Nuts once and they were lovely too)
    125g nuts (optional)
    125g dried fruit (optional - I never put fruit in, but I'm sure it'd be fine)
    1 packet of Maltesers (optional)

Method:
    Grease and line a regular loaf tin or a 15cm/6" round tin

Melt the chocolate, butter and golden syrup and mix well.

Allow the mixture to cool a bit (as I find that if it's too warm the biscuits end up soaking up some of the mixture which takes away some of the crunch) and then add the broken up biscuits, Maltesers and nuts and mix well.

Pour mixture into tin, patting down well as you go to make sure it's even on the bottom.

Leave to set for a few hours, preferably in the fridge.

Best enjoyed with a big mug of coffee :D

Note 1: I use 100g (1 bar) of Lindt Milk Chocolate and 125g of Lindt 70% Dark because I'm not massively keen on strong dark chocolate flavours, but I'd find all milk chocolate overly sweet with the golden syrup etc, but use whichever chocolate you like.

Note 2: I find that when I'm slicing it it tends to break up a bit, but when you taste it you'll not care about that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ginger nuts in a chocolate biscuit cake? How has this never come up before, it's the best idea EVER!

WesternNight, you deserve a Nobel prize for that. Can't fcuking wait to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 buscuit

You wont believe how gorgeous this is!!
    We have had it at least once a week for the last few weeks..

Ingredients

1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
    3 tablespoons dried basil
    1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
    1 teaspoon ground white pepper

Directions

Blend everything on high speed for 30 seconds until thoroughly mixed.
    Pour marinade over steaks. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
    Remove marinaded steaks from fridge.
    Ensure steaks are at room temperature before placing on a dry hot griddle.
    Sear steaks on both sides.
    Cook to taste.
    Heat remaining marinade for use as chip dip.
    Trying this one this eve. Can't wait to try!

buscuit wrote: »
    Trying this one this eve. Can't wait to try!

Arghh, The pressure!

Hope you enjoy it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I have a number of fresh leeks from my garden that i want to use with pork chops, anyone any suggestions??

Laika1986 wrote: »
    I have a number of fresh leeks from my garden that i want to use with pork chops, anyone any suggestions??

Chop new potatoes ala gratin stylee, lay them in a roasting tin.
    Finely chop the fresh leeks. Caramelize some onions and add the leeks.

Cover the potatoes with the mix. Roast till cripsy on top,
    Remove the crispy bit, and serve remaining with your chops and brambly apple sauce.

Jesus, i'm swallowing like a cheap hooker typing this!!!

Chop new potatoes ala gratin stylee, lay them in a roasting tin.
    Finely chop the fresh leeks. Caramelize some onions and add the leeks.

Cover the potatoes with the mix. Roast till cripsy on top,
    Remove the crispy bit, and serve remaining with your chops and brambly apple sauce.

Jesus, i'm swallowing like a cheap hooker typing this!!!

Sounds great cheers!might through in a bit of bacon aswell!

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Sounds great cheers!might through in a bit of bacon aswell!

if your throwing in bacon, might as well go the whole hog (mmmm hog) and sprinkle on a bit of crushed garlic and feta...

What time will i knock over?:pac:

Enjoy, let me know how it goes. (only if you like it.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 buscuit

Arghh, The pressure!

Hope you enjoy it.:)

Went down a treat, highly recommend this one. Thanks Rick.

if your throwing in bacon, might as well go the whole hog (mmmm hog) and sprinkle on a bit of crushed garlic and feta...

What time will i knock over?:pac:

Enjoy, let me know how it goes. (only if you like it.)

Unfortunately i didnt see this in time and didnt use any garlic but all the same it was lovely!however im afraid there was none to spare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Summer Pasta

This is an ideal lunch, or accompaniment to a main meal, is easy to prepare. For best results, make it a day before. I made this yesterday for two vegetarian friends and they absolutely loved it, as did I.

Ingredients

250g cooked, cold pasta (penne is ideal, but it doesn't really matter what type)
    approx. 75ml Olive Oil
    One clove of garlic, finely chopped
    a good sprinkle of dried oregano
    cherry tomatoes
    hallumi cheese (feta can be used, but if it is, add this just before serving as it tends to fall to pieces if left overnight)

Directions

Pour the olive oil into a bowl, add in the garlic and oregano. Stir well and set aside.

Chop the cherry tomatoes into quarters, slice the hallumi cheese into similar size chunks.

Put the pasta into a large mixing bowl and add the olive oil mixture. Mix it well to ensure the pasta is covered completely, ensuring you don't break any of the pasta pieces. Add in the cherry tomatoes and cheese, leave overnight in the fridge, but serve at room temperature.

Enjoy!

I wasn't expecting much from this, I gotta say. But holy mary mother o' god, it was FANTASTIC! Thanks so much. Gonna do it for lunch again tomorrow. :)

Trí wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting much from this, I gotta say. But holy mary mother o' god, it was FANTASTIC! Thanks so much. Gonna do it for lunch again tomorrow. :)

Yeah, it's surprisingly good, isn't it? :D

I have it at least once a week now for lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Bacon & Eggs (à la "French Laundry Cookbook")

Something you can do with your left over quail eggs if you make this. I'd eat these all day long. Would make for a nice amuse-bouche.

Ingredients:
    Brunoise (carrot, turnip*, leek)
    Quail Eggs
    Applewood Smoked Bacon (Hickory will do nicely - actually any bacon will do nicely because it's all gorgeous)
    Beurre monté

* I think "turnip" here means these and not these

Method:

1) Brunoise: this is a tiny cut of veg often used as a garnish. Make a big batch of it and freeze it to use in small quantities whenever you need: To make it you need:
    1 part carrots, sliced lengthwise into 1/16 inch-thick slices
    1 part turnips, sliced lengthwise into 1/16 inch-thick slices
    1/2 part leek greens (dark green part)

I skipped the leek in this batch because I didn't have it. When using it I just add some chopped chive to make up.
    2ZA0M.jpg

2) Quail eggs: Get a bowl of cold water ready. Poach the eggs (see also here) and place each one in the cold water. Trim any tails bits if you want to make it look more fancy. The eggs'll keep fine in the cold water in the fridge for a couple of days.
    gMxOk.jpg

RE7bb.jpg

3) Bacon: freeze some slices and then slice into 1/8 inch-slices (the freezing will make slicing them so thinly a bit easier). Fry in a pan til crispy.

4) Beurre monté: cube enough butter for what you need. Bring a couple of tbsps of water to the boil in a small saucepan and gradually add the cubed butter whisking all the while to emulsify it. If you're only making a small amount of these eggs you'll get away with just using some melted butter.
    v1HTq.jpg

5) Remove the Beurre monté from the heat and add the eggs. Let them warm up without cooking through.
    xsIVu.jpg

6) To serve: put the spoons in a cup of hot water for a minute. Put a few tablespoons of the brunoise into the pan you cooked your bacon on to heat up. Put the spoons on a plate (not the one you'll be serving on), add the sliced bacon then spoon the eggs and sauce on top. Add the brunoise on top again and season. Then move each spoon to the plate you'll serve on.
    871DI.jpg

byYHp.jpg
    unctious egg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

my sister taught me this today ridiculously simple!

potatoes
    garlic salt/garlic powder
    butter

boil the potatoes until nearly done
    mix the garlic powder and butter together then melt it
    place the potatoes in a baking tray
    pour melted butter over the potatoes
    place in the oven and roast for a few minutes until golden and crispy!

you could probably use garlic butter aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What temp does the oven need to be to get them golden & crispy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

What temp does the oven need to be to get them golden & crispy?

im not too sure i think 180 to 200

i havent made them yet though!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my sister taught me this today ridiculously simple!

potatoes
    garlic salt/garlic powder
    butter

boil the potatoes until nearly done
    mix the garlic powder and butter together then melt it
    place the potatoes in a baking tray
    pour melted butter over the potatoes
    place in the oven and roast for a few minutes until golden and crispy!

you could probably use garlic butter aswell!

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh, me likey.

I think i will give this a go tonight

• Advertisement

im not too sure i think 180 to 200

i havent made them yet though!

I'd say it would have to be hotter than that. I've tried a few permutations of chips/roast potatoes in the oven and I think it needs to be at least 220.

Advertisement