Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valuation for Irish notes

Options
  • 04-06-2011 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

A relative has asked us as we live near Dublin to bring some old notes to the Central Bank to get them changed to Euro.

A quick flick through them and I thought that it would be worth getting them valued first as face value on the notes are just less than 200 mix of sterling and Punts. From reading here I think this is only a fraction of the value to a real collecter.

I am not sure if this is the best way to value them but I thought from reading this forum that there were some really knowledgeable people here, If they could give me a rough idea of value or point me in the direction of getting a more accurate valuation that would be ideal. These notes are not mine to sell and they are part of an estate so if they were to be sold there would need to be receipts and maybe more than one estimate if possible.

I am not sure of the best way of getting the images here but if this doesnt work maybe someone will suggest the best way of posting the images.

These are images of the front of the notes. If images are needed of the back of the notes please let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63612296@N02/sets/72157626873890276/

Some of the notes did not scan perfectly so there are some duplicates here. Check the serial numbers on the notes to see duplicates.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

hi, its hard to give an accurate value without seeing the notes in person or even their backs but here are appox, values

£1 1987 and 2 1989s €5 each
    £5 1993 €10
    £10 1988 x2 €20 each
    £20 1975 €70
    £10 1976 €45
    £10 1972 €35
    £1 1976 €5
    £5 1975 €20
    £5 1974 face value
    £5 1951 €30
    £5 1931 ploughman really need to see the back of this to give a value but from the front ~ €600-€700
    £5 1937 €50
    10 shillings 1968 €10
    £100 1996 €250

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Would they be unlikely to get those prices from a dealer though Anthony? Ploughman aside.

no a dealer would not pay these prices but i have already sent the op a pm regards selling the items, as the notes are part of an estate most likely they will be requested to be sold publicly by auction to eliminate any foul play regards the notes being sold for a fair price

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Thanks for your quick reply Anthony and Blade.

I have a few questions mostly because I am sure I will be asked them by my relatives.

What sort of percentage commission would be paid from the various methods of selling? Auction, Dealer, EBay, etc.

What would a dealer charge to give an accurate written appraisal of the notes and probable value.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Szarik102

Auctioneer would charge the vendor at least 10%, and the buyer 15-20%
    It would usually cost you about 10% to sell them on ebay.

The valuation on the £100 note is far too high. On a note of that grade you would be lucky to get 160 or so.

A dealer would probably only be interested in the Ploughman £5 and the Lavery £20, the rest would mostly be costed at face value.

You best bet would be ebay imo. You could actually do quite well on some of the ordinary ones there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Baraboo wrote: »
    A relative has asked us as we live near Dublin to bring some old notes to the Central Bank to get them changed to Euro.

Its lucky they sent them to you! Imagine changing those ploughmans notes for euros at the bank!!

:eek:

Heheh, well a Ploughman £5 is worth 6.35 Euro!

A steady trickle of Ploughmans and 10/- notes are making their way into the Central Bank each year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Szarik102 wrote: »
    A steady trickle of Ploughmans and 10/- notes are making their way into the Central Bank each year though.

Do they have to shred them? Seems like a horrible waste.

:mad:

It would usually cost you about 10% to sell them on ebay.QUOTE]

ebay charges a tiered structure final fee but you have to take into account listing fees and as 95% of buyers on ebay pay through paypal which the seller has to pay for aswell it brings the total fees up to around 20%

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Do they have to shred them? Seems like a horrible waste.

:mad:

Doubt it, I'm sure there's some cute hoors in there intercepting them. There's a whole section dealing with collector coins at the CB and everyone working there is well familiar with values of notes and coins. Some of them are collectors themselves. And the CB itself has an impressive collection of notes and coins.

• Advertisement

it brings the total fees up to around 20%[/FONT]

It really depends on how you do your listings. I find that it costs me on average around 10-12%

It really depends on how you do your listings. I find that it costs me on average around 10-12%

including paypal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sword2

Hi. does anybody out there know what old irish postal order are worth. i have 5 in unused condition. with tags still attached. green in colour value 5p
    with brown post office envelope. they are post office stamped but not used.:rolleyes:

sword2 wrote: »
    Hi. does anybody out there know what old irish postal order are worth. i have 5 in unused condition. with tags still attached. green in colour value 5p
    with brown post office envelope. they are post office stamped but not used.:rolleyes:

Congratulations on getting "18 Grand" for these 5 postal orders :rolleyes:

For anyone curious, this is what he tried to tell me by PM

Advertisement