Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warwick basses?

Options
  • 01-09-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

I've been making a few phone calls to the larger music store in an attempt to track down a warwick bass. Specifically, I'm looking for a corvette and whilst they are available on thommans, I have a strict rule not to buy an instrument unless I've played it first.

Thus, I'm asking if anyone knows of any music store in the dublin region that carries Warwick basses. I'm probably not going to find one but I can still hope ;)

Help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

You could always try looking around online for sale ads to see if anyone's got one for sale near you then travel to check it out.

As for the rule on not buying blind I've only done that once and I was very happy with the result :).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Haven't seen Warwicks in Dublin in a long time. Musicmaker used to do them years ago, but that was around 2005 or so. Second hand might be your best bet, they come up on adverts every now and then.

I bought a €1k bass online without playing it first (had played the model before, just not the exact bass I ended up getting), wouldn't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Thanks guys, you're answers are what I expected. For such great instruments, they sure as hell are difficult to track down.

About buying blind. Years ago, I ordered a 5 string bass in through a music store in dublin and since then I've only used it a handful of times. Everything about it was fine, the sound, the look and the price but I just never got used to the feel of it thus, it sits on a guitar stand most of the time. I've never played a warwick bass before so I wouldn't like to risk the price of a corvette in case I don't like the thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Here is one for sale on "adverts." If you do a search, it should throw up another.

http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-bass/german-warwick-corvette-standard/814908

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

pro musica in cork have a few in usually...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've played a few different Corvettes a few years back in Musicstore in Cologne. Can't remember what they played like, I'm sure they were nice, but my main memory of them is that they're bloody heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

I've played a few different Corvettes a few years back in Musicstore in Cologne. Can't remember what they played like, I'm sure they were nice, but my main memory of them is that they're bloody heavy.

I have a six-string Corvette, and it weighs a ton. I think all Warwicks are very heavy basses, but maybe that explains why they sound so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭auti

Pro musica in Cork still have one or two Warwicks left in stock but they don't have any Corvettes. A 5 string thumb bolt on and a 5 string streamer stage II the last time I was in there.

Warwick make great basses, I wouldn't play anything else.

There are some Corvettes for sale on adverts but all the bubinga vettes are heavy. If you want something lighter and a little bit unusual try this one...

http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-bass/warwick-2005-ltd-edition-corvette-hot-rod/777135

With Warwick you really need to try before you buy as the necks vary greatly in dimentions. A lot of people find them too chunky but I have a streamer with a lovely slim and very fast neck so I guess it will depend on the model. Basically, there are heaps of options offered by the brand including a whole range of neck sizes but the default neck seems to be on the chunky side. You'll need to see if that fits your hands before you commit but remember that one Warwick is not necessarily the same as the next so keep trying until you find the right one, it'll be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Thanks for the replies.

I went on a minor bass hunt yesterday through just about every instrument shop in town. Naturally, none had a warwick but there were some really nice music man basses in music maker. I was tempted to get one but as they didn't have the 24 frets, I'd be compromising on what I really need for the sake of an impulse buy.

I've been looking for second hand basses too but I've never been comfortable with purchasing something in such a way as I'd have no come back if the instrument turned out to be faulty. I've been advised by some mates to just buy the bass I really want on thommans because it could be returned if needs be but...let's just say I break habits slowly :)

Thanks again, my search continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 trapperdee

RichardAnd wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I went on a minor bass hunt yesterday through just about every instrument shop in town. Naturally, none had a warwick but there were some really nice music man basses in music maker. I was tempted to get one but as they didn't have the 24 frets, I'd be compromising on what I really need for the sake of an impulse buy.

I've been looking for second hand basses too but I've never been comfortable with purchasing something in such a way as I'd have no come back if the instrument turned out to be faulty. I've been advised by some mates to just buy the bass I really want on thommans because it could be returned if needs be but...let's just say I break habits slowly :)

Thanks again, my search continues!
    hi
    i don'tknow if you're still looking to buy a corvette but i used to have one and hated it i upgraded to a thumb bolt on and it was a far superior guitar. so i'm in the kildare area and you're more than welcome to come and try it out if you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement