Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year of the French 1798

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Wouldn't be ar$ed to read down through that tripe :D But that's the British for you, the people who still try to deceive themselves with the conceited lies that they alone defeated Napoleon and Revolutionary France !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

We need evidence of an ulterior motive though before accepting it.

That's precisely what's missing here...and the point I am making is that any historic discussion about any war would be derailed - or hijacked, whatever the poison is - using the same 'parallel universe' argument without any evidence whatsoever. It's just not a legitimate way to go about a discussion on the actual historic record.

MarchDub wrote: »
    Originally Posted by jonniebgood1
    We need evidence of an ulterior motive though before accepting it.

That's precisely what's missing here...and the point I am making is that any historic discussion about any war would be derailed - or hijacked, whatever the poison is - using the same 'parallel universe' argument without any evidence whatsoever. It's just not a legitimate way to go about a discussion on the actual historic record.
    Agree with both of you, but unfortunately this issue has arisen before on the Religious persecution in Ireland thread post #204 - "You need to introduce historic sources into your posts as without backing up your opinion your posts appear to be an attempt to stir the pot or start a row. "
    Maybe a holiday from the History forum might help funny man to understand ??

Post #204 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73683149&postcount=204

slowburner wrote: »
    Here's some background information on the North Cork Militia - I'm not sure what area the "North Riding" of Cork would have encompassed.

The North Cork Regiment (no. 34) was raised by government levy from the north Riding of county Cork between April and June 1793.
    It comprised of 26 officers, 24 sergeants, 16 drummers, 12 fifers and 446 rank and file.

From the Army List, January 1794:-

Colonel Commandant - Viscount Kingsborough.
    Lieutenant-Colonel - Lord Kinsale.
    Major - John Newenham.

Captains
    John Wallis, David Franks, James Lombard, Richard Foote*, Edward Heard.
    Captain-Lieutenant - Honourable William de Courcey

* later Lieutenant-Colonel at Oulart
    note; no mention of Captains Snowe or Drurey who defended Enniscorthy bridge.

Lieutenants
    Charles Vinters, Stephen O'Hea, John O'Hea, John Norcott (these four I think, were at Oulart) William Johnston, Michael Stewart, James Glover, David Williams*.
    Ensigns.
    Michael Rourke, Thomas Paye, Isaac Silletto, Thomas H. Justice, Charles Barry*, John Roe.

*Williams and Barry were killed at Oulart

Chaplain - Rev. T. Barry
    Adjutant - Honble. Wm. De Courcey
    Quartermaster - Charles Vinters
    Surgeon -Daniel Williams

Uniform - Red, Facings yellow

The regiment was stationed in Limerick until early 1796. Then in Kilkenny for nine months and then to Naas. They were then one the first regiments to enter Dublin in the aftermath of Edward Fitzgerald's arrest (18th May 1797). At this time they were quartered in the George's street Barracks.
    On the 23rd of May 1798, 432 of the militia formed in Stephen's Green and proceeded to guard approaches to the city.
    A detachment of 60 men were at Prosperous, Kildare on the 24th along with captain Swayne.
    After that, their actions at Oulart, New Ross, Enniscorthy, Arklow and Vinegar hill are well documented.

As regards the numbers of Catholics in the regiment, I have yet to find a good reference; however, it appears that the following men were suspected of having republican sympathies - Harvey, Keogh, Colclough and Grogan (christian names unavailable). There is a story about Colclough in particular, which might be worth investigating. It seems that there was a significant defection from the NCM at Wexford.

Thought provoking. Do you have any suitable links regarding the above slowburner ?

CDfm wrote: »
    The impression that what happened in Wexford was purely sectarian is lazy history as there is a very complex local history that is unique. Everytime you had a change of English administration you had land grants etc and mini local civil wars for control and 1798 tapped into.

So,in my opinion, 1798 Wexford was like the culmination of 6 centuries of messy micro-managing local control by the "English" that all went wrong.

That one of the real nasty protestant militia guys Charles Tottenham had been to France and had been in trouble there pre 1798,had been rescued by a Wexford priest Fr Crane , and went on to give land for church building post 1798 indicates its complexity.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=I2zNMo8YTDEC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=crane+and+tottenham+and+wexford&source=bl&ots=bMWS1l3MYR&sig=Q33vqLBH2aXUTtYZrl49lylo5gc&hl=en&ei=FjhGTtChPIOYhQf1lZWuBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=crane%20and%20tottenham%20and%20wexford&f=false

The realignment between the Catholic church and the British happened as the Church feared the French Revoloution more than Protestant England and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Thought provoking. Do you have any suitable links regarding the above slowburner ?
    The info is from this link - I read, extracted and typed out :rolleyes: what I thought might be of interest. Let me know what you think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

The realignment between the Catholic church and the British happened as the Church feared the French Revoloution more than Protestant England and vice versa.

And they had common ground on that - the British feared the 'radical' French church influence too and that is why money was given - by the British - for the establishment of Maynooth in the 1790s. Prior to that time the Irish were going to France for seminary training and ordination. The British wanted to break down that possible radicalisation of the Irish priesthood. The establishment - read the Bishops - in the Catholic Church in Ireland then lined up with the Brits seeing the Brits as willing donors.

But having said that, in general the average priest remained nationalist as evidenced by their support for the '98 rising and later in the century Home Rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

And given the French assistance to the American Revolitionaries and their victories over the English in the American War of Independence expectations would have been high and the French effort a bit of a disapointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Wouldn't be ar$ed to read down through that tripe :D But that's the British for you, the people who still try to deceive themselves with the conceited lies that they alone defeated Napoleon and Revolutionary France !!

Do not post in this manner. If there is a problem with a particular post you report it or argue against it in a proper manner. You have made a very sweeping generalisation in your reference to the 'British' that is unnessesary and offensive to some. Any response to this could only be confrontational so is not required. If there are any problems with this PM me.

Do not post in this manner. If there is a problem with a particular post you report it or argue against it in a proper manner. You have made a very sweeping generalisation in your reference to the 'British' that is unnessesary and offensive to some. Any response to this could only be confrontational so is not required. If there are any problems with this PM me.
    Well it got thanks from CDFm and MarchDub, but I should have left the street word a**ed out I do agree, apologies. I think I actually hit a relevant point though, if you watch a British documentary on the Napoleonic wars, you'd be forgiven for thinking their was only two battles Trafalgar and Waterloo. And in Waterloo''s case, you'd think the Prussians and Hanoverians only turned up to watch from the sidelines the French been defeated.

• Advertisement

The info is from this link - I read, extracted and typed out :rolleyes: what I thought might be of interest. Let me know what you think of it.
    No, on reading the link your information is too vague.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

Those memoir style writings from the 19th century are notoriously badly written for our eyes, for whatever reason, and lots of 19th century writting is not as vague or stylised. They probably were written for a reader who knew the area and subject.

They are worth reading because once you start to get to know a subject they provide a lot of facts.

Thats what I found with local and family history.

Kudos for tackling the material which often just appears as footnotes if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭pavb2

This is what I liked about Year of the French Flanagan writes in an epistolary style from different points of view. The Irish poet,reasonably successful catholic farmers and businessmen etc. He also paints a picture of a rabble rousing vitriolic bigoted catholic priest kind of at odds with my understanding such as Father Murphy (Wexford) but maybe there were clerics like this around

CDFM has touched on it for example there are chapters written from the pov of protestant landowners descended from Cromwellian settlers to me they had very little in common with the 'Irish' but many were struggling to pay mortgages to Britain and yet not British almost like they had no identity if that makes sense.

His research and attention to detail reads like a reference book and gives a valuable insight in to the thoughts and atitudes of people of those times but he manages to weave this into an entertaining novel. Maybe others can but I can't think of any other pieces of historical fiction set against the events of 1798.

OMG/OMD(if you speak french) what has happened to the 1798 thread.

There are a couple of huge questions being asked and lots of them are simplistically big.

Johnnie has asked me why the French arrived and as Harry Callahan might have said "
    Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself." They did very little when they came and seem to have landed far away from where the real action happened. So why ?

James Connolly cited 1798 as an influence on the labour movement as striking a blow for the common man? Now hands up here , I have done some copywriting in my time and some of Connolly's writing is a bit like a hack - I have no problem with that BTW as claiming nationalist roots may have been good for the labour movement and politicians do that sort of thing. Wharever, whats the truth ?

The Catholic Church benefited from Father Murphy and there us a great folk song on it with a neat slide show. How did a catholic priest get caught up in the myth.

William Orr a Presbyterian Farmer was executed in 1797 on what is claimed to be false testimony and the farmers of Co Antrim had greviences and their story is often ommited.
    Twelve months before Wolfe Tone expired in his prison cell, one of the bravest of his associates paid with his life the penalty of his attachment to the cause of Irish independence. In the subject of this sketch, the United Irishmen found their first martyr; and time has left no darker blot on the administration of English rule than the execution of the high-spirited Irishman whose body swung from the gallows of Carrickfergus on the 14th of October, 1797.

William Orr was the son of a farmer and bleach-green proprietor, of Ferranshane, in the county of Antrim. The family were in comfortable circumstances, and young Orr received a good education, which he afterwards turned to account in the service of his country. We know little of his early history, but we find him, on growing up to manhood, an active member of the society of United Irishmen, and remarkable for his popularity amongst his countrymen in the north. His appearance, not less than his principles and declarations, was calculated to captivate the peasantry amongst whom he lived; he stood six feet two inches in height was a perfect model of symmetry, strength, and gracefulness, and the expression of his countenance was open, frank, and manly. He was always neatly and respectably dressed – a prominentfeature in his attire being a green necktie, which he wore even in his last confinement.

As owenc pointed out elsewhere they were from Scotland and not England. The presbyterians revolted in Antrim and there is quite a tradition around them too. Orr,the father of 5, claimed to be innocent from the dock knowing he was to be executed at Carrickfergus.
    Lastly, a false and ungenerous publication having appeared in a newspaper, stating certain alleged confessions of guilt on my part, and thus striking at my reputation, which is now dearer to me than life. I take this solemn method of contradicting the calumny. I was applied to by the high-sheriff, and the Rev. William Bristow, sovereign of Belfast, to make a confession of guilt, who used entreaties to that effect; this I peremptorily refused. If I thought myself guilty; I would freely confess it, but, on the contrary; I glory my innocence.

http://www.from-ireland.net/history/Speech-From-The-Dock,-William-Orr

And this link

http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofcongreg00kill/historyofcongreg00kill_djvu.txt

And this

http://ourfondmemories.com/Fegan25.08_History_Penal_Laws_Ascendancy&Union_With_England.htm

And we have the whole issue of the forthcoming Act of Union where the parliment was about to be shut down and British/English protectionist economic policies towards Ireland that the general protestant population had issues with as they couldnt develop businesses.

So the seeds were there for a popular revolution French or US style -were the locals expecting decisive french intervention like Yorktown ?
    French military aid was also a decisive factor in the American victory. French land and sea forces fought on the side of the American colonists against the British. At the same time, British and French (and to a lesser extent, Dutch and Spanish) forces fought for colonial wealth and empire around the world. From 1778 through 1783 -- two years after the defeat of Cornwallis at Yorktown -- French forces fought the British in the West Indies, Africa and India.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/sfelshin/saintonge/frhist.html

Have a look here , you had shopkeepers , lawyers etc too -a very middle class and protestant political movement

http://northern-ireland-history.blogspot.com/2011/01/1798-rebellion-in-ireland.html

Open celebrations and marches in the support of the taking of the Bastille in France gave the conservative government some cause for alarm. This led to the formation of the United Irishmen in 1791. This organisation hoped to attract people of different religions and unite them in a campaign for greater political and economic independence from Britain. It would prove significant in the 1798 rebellion in Ireland.

The leader of this organisation was Theobold Wolfe Tone, a Kildare lawyer and was highly influenced by the events of the French Revolution. Wolfe Tone was born in Dublin in 1763 and went on to become a barrister. He joined the United Irishmen in Belfast and due to the openness of that society availed of a more liberal audience willing to listen to his views. He had initially visited the Northern Whig club in Belfast but he believed that were not radical enough for him and founded the Society of United Irishmen in 1791. The main objectives of the United Irishmen were to include all religions and all social classes in a bid to reform parliament. They believed that the current government was unconstitutional and that the grievances of all Irish people were being ignored and this needed to be addressed.

His requests for parliamentary reform pleased the Presbyterians who felt that a parliament full of Protestant landowners was not one best able to represent the interest of the mercantile classes. He returned to Dublin and set up a branch of the United Irishmen there. The secretary of this movement was James Napper Tandy a Protestant shopkeeper from Dublin. This branch was formed under the auspices of what was known as the Catholic Committee. This was an organisation which had existed in Dublin to protect the interests of Catholics and to help repeal the Penal laws.

This committee was formed of two classes of people, the aristocratic and democratic. The aristocratic element, although opposed to current government practise was much different in its approach to the democratic elements within. The aristocratic were actually rather shocked by how radical the French revolution had become and objected to some of its methods. However, the more radical democratic side of the party were in the strength and pushed forwards with more radical suggested reforms. Many of the aristocratics left the organisation as they found the suggestions to revolutionary. However, the movement grew quickly and became more radical.

And

Until 1795 young Catholic men who wanted to become priests had been forced to go to Europe, mainly France, to receive this education. The government were aware of how revolutionary France had become so decided to allow these young men to stay in Ireland and set up a college at Maynooth. Also in 1795, Lord Edward Fitzgerald a major in the British army joined the United Irishmen. He had been removed from the British army as he was sympathetic to the French revolution.

Sounds to me as if you don't like the probability that the French would have taken over and treated the Irish the same way they treated the Belgians, or any other population they conquered.

But Fred there was an Irish and Scottish slave trades a practice which the English continued until 1839 .

And the emigration trade(coffin ships) may have taken over from that.

The Irish slave trade began when James II sold 30,000 Irish prisoners as slaves to the New World. His Proclamation of 1625 required Irish political prisoners be sent overseas and sold to English settlers in the West Indies. By the mid 1600s, the Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat. At that time, 70% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves.
    Ireland quickly became the biggest source of human livestock for English merchants. The majority of the early slaves to the New World were actually white.
    From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. Ireland’s population fell from about 1,500,000 to 600,000 in one single decade. Families were ripped apart as the British did not allow Irish dads to take their wives and children with them across the Atlantic. This led to a helpless population of homeless women and children. Britain’s solution was to auction them off as well.
    During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.
    Many people today will avoid calling the Irish slaves what they truly were: Slaves. They’ll come up with terms like “Indentured Servants” to describe what occurred to the Irish. However, in most cases from the 17th and 18th centuries, Irish slaves were nothing more than human cattle.
    As an example, the African slave trade was just beginning during this same period. It is well recorded that African slaves, not tainted with the stain of the hated Catholic theology and more expensive to purchase, were often treated far better than their Irish counterparts.
    African slaves were very expensive during the late 1600s (50 Sterling). Irish slaves came cheap (no more than 5 Sterling). If a planter whipped or branded or beat an Irish slave to death, it was never a crime. A death was a monetary setback, but far cheaper than killing a more expensive African.
    The English masters quickly began breeding the Irish women for both their own personal pleasure and for greater profit. Children of slaves were themselves slaves, which increased the size of the master’s free workforce. Even if an Irish woman somehow obtained her freedom, her kids would remain slaves of her master. Thus, Irish moms, even with this new found emancipation, would seldom abandon their kids and would remain in servitude.
    In time, the English thought of a better way to use these women (in many cases, girls as young as 12) to increase their market share: The settlers began to breed Irish women and girls with African men to produce slaves with a distinct complexion. These new “mulatto” slaves brought a higher price than Irish livestock and, likewise, enabled the settlers to save money rather than purchase new African slaves.
    This practice of interbreeding Irish females with African men went on for several decades and was so widespread that, in 1681, legislation was passed “forbidding the practice of mating Irish slave women to African slave men for the purpose of producing slaves for sale.” In short, it was stopped only because it interfered with the profits of a large slave transport company.
    England continued to ship tens of thousands of Irish slaves for more than a century. Records state that, after the 1798 Irish Rebellion, thousands of Irish slaves were sold to both America and Australia.
    There were horrible abuses of both African and Irish captives. One British ship even dumped 1,302 slaves into the Atlantic Ocean so that the crew would have plenty of food to eat.
    There is little question that the Irish experienced the horrors of slavery as much (if not more in the 17th Century) as the Africans did. There is, also, very little question that those brown, tanned faces you witness in your travels to the West Indies are very likely a combination of African and Irish ancestry.
    In 1839, Britain finally decided on it’s own to end it’s participation in Satan’s highway to hell and stopped transporting slaves. While their decision did not stop pirates from doing what they desired, the new law slowly concluded THIS chapter of nightmarish Irish misery.

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-irish-slave-trade-forgotten-white-slaves/
    White Slavery Re: Slaves of Scotland

There were hundreds of thousands of Scots sold into slavery during Colonial America. White slavery to the American Colonies occurred as early as 1630 in Scotland.
    According to the Egerton manuscript, British Museum, the enactment of 1652: it may be lawful for two or more justices of peace within any county, citty or towne, corporate belonging to the commonwealth to from tyme to tyme by warrant cause to be apprehended, seized on and detained all and every person or persons that shall be found begging and vagrant.. in any towne, parish or place to be conveyed into the Port of London, or unto any other port from where such person or persons may be shipped into a forraign collonie or plantation.
    The judges of Edinburgh Scotland during the years 1662-1665 ordered the enslavement and shipment to the colonies a large number of rogues and others who made life unpleasant for the British upper class. (Register for the Privy Council of Scotland, third series, vol. 1, p 181, vol. 2, p 101).

and

Scottish Slaves : Mainly prisoners sold by Cromwell, Aberdeen was a dangerous town for chilfren, there was a lot of kidnapping down there. Scotland was a hunting grown for slaves like west Africa.
    Irish Slaves : Mainly Prisoners sold by Cromwell the butcher like the Scots. Irish were sold as slaves in the new world in order to made space for the English colonists into Ireland (Lands, Properties). They were called the “White-****” in the United States and they went through many riots because of their nationality.
    In Barbados they were the “Red-Legs” and they were the poorest they even survived because of the charity of Black slaves. Some white masters even called them “White Trash”….
    The White slavery ( called falsely “Indentured Servant” or “servant”) was the capital and economic basement for African slavery ( see Eric Williams and Gabriel Debien). The people who sold white people and gained capital from this business like in Bristol or Liverpool turned to Africa and destroyed that continent with their former experience in selling human beings…

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/hidden-history-the-white-slaves-of-americas-by-nehesy/

I would love to hear more about people being sold into slavery after or as a result 1798 - if on topic.
    And Ireland's population reduced by 900,000 between 1641 and 1652 - that's 40% of the population!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I don't know how much credence I would give to the figures on http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/...-white-slaves/. I'm surprised there's anyone left on the island of Ireland and it looks like an agenda driven website to me. Just my feelings after a cursory glance but then I have my own historical baggage. :D

I would love to hear more about people being sold into slavery after or as a result 1798 - if on topic.
    And Ireland's population reduced by 900,000 between 1641 and 1652 - that's 40% of the population!!!

Try here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055533740

and here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055755192
    I don't know how much credence I would give to the figures on http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/...-white-slaves/. I'm surprised there's anyone left on the island of Ireland and it looks like an agenda driven website to me. Just my feelings after a cursory glance but then I have my own historical baggage. :D

Ah but JD who is carrying it :D

Anyone know if it's true that in Wexford the UI men took over some ships in the harbour and loaded cannons onto them in preparation to try and repel a sea invasion of the town if the situation arose by the British ?

• Advertisement

Is that all the population was in 1641 - 1,466,000?
    Subtract those killed by Cromwell, leaves 916,000.
    Less those sold as slaves, leaves a total native Irish population of 616,000 by the end of that horrible decade.
    And yet 200 years later (just prior to the great famine) the population was close enough to 8,000,000 (??). That's a population increase of 36,920 per annum.

They were busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Anyone know if it's true that in Wexford the UI men took over some ships in the harbour and loaded cannons onto them in preparation to try and repel a sea invasion of the town if the situation arose by the British ?

Make of this what you will - I suspect that 'navy' wouldn't have been in a position to repel anything in the way of an attack by Crown forces.

3. The Wexford Navy was established. It comprised four oyster boats each with a twenty five man crew. John Howlin, former privateer in the American War of Independence, was appointed Admiral. Next day, 2 June, the navy captured a ship carrying Lord Kingsborough, Colonel of the North Cork Militia, at the harbour’s mouth. He was to play an important part in the Republic’s capitulation three weeks later. For his capture John Scallan, who seized the ship, was later made Admiral. Scallan died at sea about 1835 as Captain of a West Indies freighter. The capture of three barrels of gunpowder on a Guinea cutter was an extremely critical contribution from the Wexford Navy to the Republic’s arsenal. One barrel was all that could be spared to the Northern army for the Battle of Arklow. Cargoes of various foodstuffs were also captured and brought into the town.
    http://www.ballinagree.freeservers.com/wexrepub.html

Was there also an influx of population and if so where did the come from.

The Scottish migration to Ulster has a whiff of " to Hell or to Connaught " about it.

Hell was slavery.

Were there other immigrants who arrived in Ireland ?

Make of this what you will - I suspect that 'navy' wouldn't have been in a position to repel anything in the way of an attack by Crown forces.
    Agree with you, but still they were plucky all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭pavb2

It's amazing what can come out on these threads I wasn't aware of the naval episode there's probably another book there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Well it got thanks from CDFm and MarchDub, but I should have left the street word a**ed out I do agree, apologies. I think I actually hit a relevant point though, if you watch a British documentary on the Napoleonic wars, you'd be forgiven for thinking their was only two battles Trafalgar and Waterloo. And in Waterloo''s case, you'd think the Prussians and Hanoverians only turned up to watch from the sidelines the French been defeated.
    The Prussians were there alright - saw it in a film!
    "Give me night or give me Blucher." I suppose he did say that.
    If not, this being the history forum, I await correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Do you have a link to back up this statement, or are we supposed to accept your own bigoted opinion as fact?

But Fred there was an Irish and Scottish slave trades a practice which the English continued until 1839 .

And the emigration trade(coffin ships) may have taken over from that.

The internet is amazing. Someone writes an article with little research or based entirely on political grounds and suddenly it is fact.

You realise that indentured servitude happened all across europe, you also realise that people sold themselves into indentured servitude, not the other way round.

You also realise hundreds of thousand English people went the same way and lastly that those indentured servants went to land owners from a multitude of back grounds, including Irish Catholic?

But obviously no one else has ever suffered like the Irish did...

Oh, you forgot to mention St Wulfstan in your little rant http://www.buildinghistory.org/bristol/saxonslaves.shtml

The internet is amazing. Someone writes an article with little research or based entirely on political grounds and suddenly it is fact.

You realise that indentured servitude happened all across europe, you also realise that people sold themselves into indentured servitude, not the other way round.

You also realise hundreds of thousand English people went the same way and lastly that those indentured servants went to land owners from a multitude of back grounds, including Irish Catholic?

But obviously no one else has ever suffered like the Irish did...

Oh, you forgot to mention St Wulfstan in your little rant http://www.buildinghistory.org/bristol/saxonslaves.shtml

You made a point about the French Republic and I refuted it .Like it or not the material on England and slavery is not new or new to you. The article I used ,while not an academic journal, is true and well referenced elsewhere.

I responded to your anti French post. What the English did to each other is a bit off topic here and if you start a thread on it I will contribute to it. You were part of a similar discussion on slavery on a thread on this forum and I have posted a link to it in response to slowburner on this page.

The source I used referenced the Scottish diaspora and I used it because the ethnic background of some of the rebels in 1798 was Scottish and I thought it a good thing to use the link to build a profile of them and the NI population.Maybe it will help us understand each other.

I also gave a summary of the greviences that other sectors of Irish Society had -including the Protestant Middle Classes.

Slavery and transportation was practiced by the English in Ireland as a political policy of land clearences/ethnic cleansing and of plantation by replacing the existing population. The French Republic outlawed slavery in 1795. I have not made any claims that the French aid was altruistic but that it was part of an on-going French/English thing.

I don't do rants Fred. Why, I even took the time recently to correct an unfavourable impression you gave on Winston Churchill's attitude to Irish Independence with properly sourced material recently just in case people would have relied on it as fact and fuelled an unflattering stereotype about the man which was not true.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73803546&postcount=43

It seems to me that when you do not like the historical facts you have a go at the poster and if that puts me in the same category as March Dub , whose posts you regularly criticise. then I am in good company.

• Advertisement

You made a point about the French Republic and I refuted it .Like it or not the material on England and slavery is not new or new to you. The article I used ,while not an academic journal, is true and well referenced elsewhere.

I responded to your anti French post. What the English did to each other is a bit off topic here and if you start a thread on it I will contribute to it. You were part of a similar discussion on slavery on a thread on this forum and I have posted a link to it in response to slowburner on this page.

The source I used referenced the Scottish diaspora and I used it because the ethnic background of some of the rebels in 1798 was Scottish and I thought it a good thing to use the link to build a profile of them and the NI population.Maybe it will help us understand each other.

I also gave a summary of the greviences that other sectors of Irish Society had -including the Protestant Middle Classes.

Slavery and transportation was practiced by the English in Ireland as a political policy of land clearences/ethnic cleansing and of plantation by replacing the existing population. The French Republic outlawed slavery in 1795. I have not made any claims that the French aid was altruistic but that it was part of an on-going French/English thing.

I don't do rants Fred. Why, I even took the time recently to correct an unfavourable impression you gave on Winston Churchill's attitude to Irish Independence with properly sourced material recently just in case people would have relied on it as fact and fuelled an unflattering stereotype about the man which was not true.

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73803546&postcount=43

It seems to me that when you do not like the historical facts you have a go at the poster and if that puts me in the same category as March Dub , whose posts you regularly criticise. then I am in good company.

I described it as a rant, because it was completely unrelated to this thread.

The French republic introduced conscription in several countries it conquered. In Belgium this resulted in the bloody crushing of the peasant rebellion.

What has this got to do with Cromwell ffs?

British rule in Ireland was brutal, we know that, but was French rule any better?

The French outlawed slavery in 1795, bit reinstated in 1802. It was eventually abolished in France in 1848.

Advertisement