Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer of Medicine, thinking bout not taking it.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

if i'm a consultant, i'd rather have an active 26 year old as an intern rather than an unmotivated 36 year old. that is all.

Well if you are a consultant you are not going to notice your interns anyhow :P

Why do you assume that because he has having doubts that he is now, or will be in 5 years unmotivated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilhelmet

Wilhelmet wrote: »

But the guy is entitled to his doubts is he not ? He entitled to ponder his decision before making it ? He's taking real stock of his fears, and giving genuine consideration to the commitment. Frankly I think he should be applauded. Instead he is being beaten up by those who seem outraged that he dare ponder things. Let me guess - you all didn't get in first time or via your preferred route???

Just because someone is gun-ho to do medicine does not mean they are any more likely to get through it that MLH1. In fact I think if MLH1 runs into problems along the way he will have at least had mature reflection done ahead of time and less likely to freak out. The gun-ho wannabe docs who haven't ever considered doing anything else are far more likely to freak out and crash out if you ask me

Oh come on, 'being beaten up'? Of course it's great for someone to be pondering whether it is the right thing to do or not.....of course it is. Everyone should do so, and all our responses in the world shouldn't have any bearing on their eventual decision. MLH1, if you're reading, apologies if anything above seemed in any way heavy-handed.

I guess I'm coming from the point of view that medicine is something that should probably be 'pondered' upon as such:

A - Before you actually apply.
    B - If not then, then once you have your gamsat and before you get the actual offer.
    C - Basically, you should probably know if you want to do it or not before it's 4 weeks until the course actually starts.

This isn't an IT course. (no disrespect to IT, of course) It's not something that someone does on a whim, is it? I mean, most of us are looking at 4 years of intense study (at least), and 100k in debt (again, at least).

Once again, apologies MLH1, I really don't mean this aimed at you. To be honest, I completely related to the fear you mentioned about 'people dying' and stuff. That's one that constantly sticks in my brain.....and I'm just hoping that it's a normal thing, and possibly a good sign. But yeah, it still freaks me out a bit. This is the first time I've applied to study medicine, and am absolutely delighted to be have gotten in...and at the age of 30, have had plenty of time to have "considered doing anything else". I'm not really interested in shooting back and forth opinion_guy.....but hope these points make sense.

Apologies MLH1 if anything seemed heavy.....really hope you make the right decision for you. That's all that matters in the end. Really, best of luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭MLH1

Thanks for all the imput guys, but I dunno, lets be honest it was pretty easy to get into medicine in UL, considering at first round it 54*,from watching the front line a few months ago and seeing 30 year old docs, I'd be 35/6 at the same stage in a medical career, working 90 -100 hour weeks regularly, with the prospect of having to emigrate to america for the rest of their life in a year or two if they want to continue! I dont know, at that stage I like a regular 9-5 job, no worries about huge hours, making life and death decisions, no matter what anyone says its a huge decision to order the administration of any medication into another human being. I reapplied this year with a score of 55 never thinking I would get a place, and probably would be alot happier if I didnt, reapplied as a matter of form, I wont be depriving anyone a place because it will go to the second round. Even today at work I encountered a Consultant in a particular area unsure about a type of medication to give to a patient in an area fairly closely related to his field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭FrankAmazing

for what it's worth, you have until october 31st to get your fees back if you start the course and dont like it and drop out.

for what it's worth, you have until october 31st to get your fees back if you start the course and dont like it and drop out.

Definately wouldnt do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

MLH1 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the imput guys, but I dunno, lets be honest it was pretty easy to get into medicine in UL, considering at first round it 54*,from watching the front line a few months ago and seeing 30 year old docs, I'd be 35/6 at the same stage in a medical career, working 90 -100 hour weeks regularly, with the prospect of having to emigrate to america for the rest of their life in a year or two if they want to continue! I dont know, at that stage I like a regular 9-5 job, no worries about huge hours, making life and death decisions, no matter what anyone says its a huge decision to order the administration of any medication into another human being. I reapplied this year with a score of 55 never thinking I would get a place, and probably would be alot happier if I didnt, reapplied as a matter of form, I wont be depriving anyone a place because it will go to the second round. Even today at work I encountered a Consultant in a particular area unsure about a type of medication to give to a patient in an area fairly closely related to his field.

I think you're really letting this life/death/holy-sh1t-i-just-killed-somebody-by-accident hypothetical situation get to you too much.

Statistically speaking, doctors inadvertently kill people every day. The laws of probability and the complexity of human biology are the reason for this. Nothing is ever 100% safe (and not just in medicine, going out the door of your house you take risks).

The flipside of being able to save lives is that you run the risk of taking them.
    In much the same way, the flipside of living a real life (as in not hiding in a bunker somehwere) is running the risk that you may die at any moment from any number of uncontrollable things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

jtsuited wrote: »
    I think you're really letting this life/death/holy-sh1t-i-just-killed-somebody-by-accident hypothetical situation get to you too much.

Statistically speaking, doctors inadvertently kill people every day. The laws of probability and the complexity of human biology are the reason for this. Nothing is ever 100% safe (and not just in medicine, going out the door of your house you take risks).

The flipside of being able to save lives is that you run the risk of taking them.
    In much the same way, the flipside of living a real life (as in not hiding in a bunker somehwere) is running the risk that you may die at any moment from any number of uncontrollable things.

Indeed. OP bus drivers hold many lives in their hands on a daily basis too

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I applied for undergraduate medicine ( and I'm not one of those psyho teenagers with med. already programmed into my head.... I think I rather be a nurse)

I think if you really want to be a doctor, you will take the place. I know you're uncertain but think of the pros and cons. If you are only interested in being a doctor go for it. If not, don't.

It sounds to me like you have already convinced yourself not to do it. ( sorry if I'm wrong)
    I have no doubt that you would make a fantastic doctor though if thats what you want.

Also...in relation to what earlier posters said, what do you mean By having work experience? I did volunteering in the hospice for close on a year, and trailed around a few doctors in two hospitals.....Does that count as work experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭line_of_fire

I understand where MHL1 is coming from. I also recieved an offer and am considering not taking it. I always wanted to be a doc when I was in school but never actually felt it was possible in school so studied Biomedical Science( which I loved). It was only when I qualified and could not get a job that I realised that the opportunity to become a doctor was still there. Since applying for medicine I have started working and am currently very happy with my life.

I feel that I need a few years of actually living, travelling, not been broke and just been a 23 year old before I commit myself to medicine, which is a life altering decision.

I know many would give there right arm to be doctor, but in my opinion I will make a better Doctor further down the line when I am ready to give 100% of me to it and not just do it because the opportunity arose. However in saying that my head is melted waying up the pros and cons of both. heres hoping i make the right decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

I think this thread is actually really important and it's great to see a (mostly) mature discussion on the subject. I love our class, half of whom are North Americans, but it's very interesting to see the split in perceptions about medicine. The vast majority of the NAs have lived, breathed and dreamed of medicine their entire lives. They won't even countenance doing something else by the time they end up in medical school. This is partly the product of even more whopper fees than we're subjected to and having to jump through many hoops (interviews, MCAT etc) to get there, but also many have been disappointed with failed applications at home and so their continued determination to find a way to do the course speaks to their certainty that this is what they want to do for the rest of their lives. They'll never admit otherwise anyway ;)

At the opposite extreme are the Irish. Off the top of the head I can think of over a third of that cohort in our class - including myself - who admitted at one time or another to a serious period of doubt as to whether medicine was right for them. None of us are feckless idiots, we'd all done well on the GAMSAT and thought long and hard (daily! for months/years!) about committing to the course prior to starting, but when confronted with the reality of sheer - and seemingly insurmountable - at times body of work to be absorbed and all the emotional stuff that comes with watching hard decisions at play in the hospital, you do naturally have fleeting thoughts of 'would the 9-5 be so bad?'. People had those episodes at different stages throughout the year. Personally I never thought I was 'good' enough for medicine after being a bit of a messer in school and was v intimidated by all these bright, enthusiastic people who seemed utterly fearless for the first day or two. I ended up going home after the first anatomy lab - a sort of baptism by fire - and crying for about 3 hours because I was so overwhelmed. Not by the cadaver itself but more the responsibilties learning this stuff would eventually lead to. I'd obviously worried about being in charge during life or death situations before and it still sometimes keeps me awake at night. I had someone talk me through it and decided to give it a chance, and I never had a day that bad again. Having finished first year and passed all my exams I can honestly say that I'm delighted I stuck it out this far. As we moved from classmates to friends the support network between us grew greatly and now there's always someone to talk to if you're having a rough day. That helps immensely.

I couldn't agree more with line_of_fire; get some living done first if you crave it. Being a couple of years older graduating is much less important than feeling in the right headspace when you do finally start (unless possibly you want to be a surgeon, but even then I know of older students determined to challenge that ageism). Medicine is constantly evolving and the health service in which we're working will never be perfect. It won't be an easy ride but the majority would - if pushed - still choose to do it because usually your reasons for even considering it are sound and it's those guiding principles which will push you forward. It's a very broad church and even if the science-intensive first 2 years may not seem right for you, the clinical setting is an entirely different world. Or vice versa. For me the best thing about medicine at this early stage has been a) the patients - it's amazing getting that kind of access to someone's life and having the potential to help and b) never being bored. Ever. It's fascinating and such a privilege to have access to this level of knowledge about something so fundamental to our everyday lives. In the future yes, everyone will make mistakes (approx 20% of diagnoses are found wrong at autopsy) but we've already had it drilled into us that no man is an island and when in doubt, there should always, ALWAYS, be someone more experienced to ask, even if sometimes that is of the scary 'wake your consultant' variety. Patient care is everything. Also owning up and saying 'I don't know' instead of bluffing if you're not sure. It's hard going in as a graduate student where you may have been one of the better students in your class previously only to realise that here, you feel like the biggest idiot in the world. Get used to it, keep learning, keep trying. The fact you care about making mistakes is, as others have said, an excellent indication that you would make a good (and safe) doctor some day. But just because you would doesn't mean you should, and medicine is not the be all and end all.

My final thought on this whole thing is if you are starting, it's going to feel like its eaten your life for a while. Don't let medicine become your sole identity because while that can sometimes be a blessing, it also seems to lead to alienated 'is this it?' type negative thoughts. Keep up your outside interests and read books other than medical books in the bit of free time you have and don't forget your old friends. It's a balancing act but having other things in your brain will help preserve sanity during exam season and keep things in perspective if you have a bad day.

Best of luck to all of you in making these decisions; if you choose to give it a go, it's a fantastic course and time flies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Bonnieaurstomp

Wonderful post Tiredcity:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Wow!!! that was such an honest and refreshing post. Thanks tiredcity

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilhelmet

Fantastic post tiredcity. Really well said. And personally speaking, good to hear a lot of that stuff. I feel like printing it out and laminating it as a reminder for the next few years...

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

No prob guys, remember how I felt this time last year :) Lots of excitement but a fair bit of nerves too about the whole thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Well I'm glad that some other people have felt or are feeling the same way as me. While I'm really excited and delighted at having accepted a place, it's now becoming a reality and the thoughts of "what-if's" and general uncertainty as to whether it would happen that were present before the offers came out have now been replaced with thoughts along the lines of "holy crap I've signed myself up for something really serious here!".

I guess we'll all have our freak attacks at some point. And it probably wouldn't be such a rewarding career if it didn't have some degree of responsibility.

It's nice to see other people being so honest about their experiences. Good encouragement for us newbies!

Thanks for all the imput guys, offer closed today and I didnt take it, to be honest not in the right mind frame currently to be running round chasing my arse for the next 15 years, and dont think I could live with the responabilty of the job. I never though I would refuse a place in Limerick this time 2 years ago, but happy with my decision. One lesson I have learnt in life is never say never, except about one thing - death.

Hopefully prospective GEM's have learnt from this thread and I feel I probed several intereting topics by starting it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

One lesson I have learnt in life is never say never, except about one thing - death.

Where did you learn that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Got an offer on UL medicine, from GAMSAT result 2 years ago, am I mad not to take it. Just when I look at 4 years of college, intern year, SHO years, bringing me to ten years time, no guarantees - actually probably impossible to stay in the Country I dunno, I am in my mid 20's and cant see the motivation. Nothing is ever written in stone, could always resit the GAMSAT in years again. Cant believe UL went so low, not entering into a chat about UL bashing please. Any info gratefully appreciated.

Decide if you want to do medicine or not first. If you really do, then decide if it's worth leaving the country for. There is zero point in doing any postgraduate clinical training in Ireland given the job insecurity and financial pressures.

(people complain about doctors not caring about patients, but as we see in Maslow's hierarchy of needs - security of job, money comes first for everyone. Ireland doesn't provide that for doctors, instead moving them around on 6 month contracts, no home, no job for more than half a year - no wonder people burn out).

Seeing as you got the offer, you know if you will take it then or not and with all cards on the table if you really wanted it. Don't regret it, make the most of your life.

Thanks for the post dissed doc, didnt take it just couldnt face into the 4 years of college to be only starting another looong path. I have a huge resoect for the medical profession and it frustrates me that the barriers are in place for doctors to do good by people. Hopefully James Reilly will sort this out.

Advertisement