Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso/speed vans

Options
  • 01-08-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

I was driving from Dublin to Wexford and around Arklow on the bypass (I think). I came up a hill not long before the motorway and right on the sign for the cameras there was a van. As soon as I seen it I went from around 120 to around 100.

What are the chances of me getting the fine and points would people know?

Thanks for any info!

P.S Im trying hard to not go on a rant about fish in a barrel, the lack of speed limit signs and how one road is a 100 road but suddenly is a motorway and you can do 120 on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

He could have nabbed you long before you seen him. Its impossible to say I passed one about a month ago and I was doing 120 KPH and heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your indicated 120 is probably about 110 irl.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Esel wrote: »

Thanks, I do look at those speed checks that AXA or other people put up and they do as you say around 10 less that my speedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Esel wrote: »

Dont think that maters a hoot with the private vans, if your over the limit, your over.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GER82

I was doing 106 in a 100 kn/hr area. I came across a White van with no symbols. Could I have been done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Dont think that maters a hoot with the private vans, if your over the limit, your over.

I agree, why were you driving over the speed limit, that's what you have to be asking yourself?

Hopefully you skip the fine and learn from it.

Your right. I have been asking myself that question. I have never gone over the limit. Learned my lesson this time. I say I was caught by camera

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Only time will tell Ger82 but hopefully not, I'm not sure what discretion they have. They are placed in the most ridiculous of places but sure I guess thats another days thread !!:)

Your right. I have been asking myself that question. I have never gone over the limit. Learned my lesson this time. I say I was caught by camera

Hi, I was doing 107 in 100 dual carriage way. About a dozen cars / vans had passed me out. I came up to a White van and it had no symbols on the van indicating it was a speed van. What's the likelihood of me getting done? I hear there is a 10% tolerance. I always stick to limit but on this occasion I had my foot on accelerator passing the set limit. I had slowed down about 100m before I passed the van. Feedback would be appreiated thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

After 7 years of blemish free driving I was done by a gatso van two weeks back. I was driving home from town late at night & was caught for doing 70kmh along the quays outside Guinness's. I was nabbed by a white van with no markings. I received the letter yesterday and it said I was doing pretty much exactly what I saw on the speedo just after the flash from the van.

Two questions on the points themselves.
    i) Am I required to notify my insurance company now or when I renew?
    ii) Do the points apply to only my B licence only or my A licence as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

I was under the impression that the unmarked vans are only doing surveys? Thought i heard that from an RSA guy.

No you are only required to notify your insurance company when you are renewing your insurance policy.

I thought the speedometer on a car reads more than the speed camera readings?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

To say it in black and white, yes I broke the limit. But to look at the way I done it is another issue.

Dual carriageway bypass, a few feet from a motorway, I was coming up a hill and there’s a van literally on top of the camera sign. The roads safe to do that 120, I was coming up a hill and what’s the chances of seeing the sign and the van at the same time.

On the way home I stuck to the speed limits and you think I was stopped with the amount of people passing me out and not slowly at that. Consistency in speed limits and enforcement’s wouldn’t leave such a sour taste in people’s mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

gafarrell wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the unmarked vans are only doing surveys? Thought i heard that from an RSA guy.

That would have been a Garda van

Do you know do the gardai vans record speed also? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

GER82 wrote: »

I thought this too but I'm sure I was at roughly 70kmh when I looked down. In saying that, by the time I realised what had just happened and looked down I could have dropped the pace a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

GER82 wrote: »
    Generally (if you have not changed your wheel diameter by fitting different-sized rims and/or tyres), your indicated speed will be lower than your actual speed.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I thought Garda speed cameras had to be marked also?

Is it legal if they arent?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

-Chris- wrote: »
    That would have been a Garda van
    The following is taken from http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590. On the right hand side there is a FAQ you can download.

"What will the safety cameras look like?

On a phased basis, GoSafe will provide 6,000 enforcement hours and 1,475 survey hours per month across the country. For the 6,000 enforcement hours, the cameras will operate from vans which will be marked with high visibility reflective material and will display a safety camera symbol. Images of the vans are available on the Garda website – www.garda.ie.

The survey hours will be conducted from unmarked vans, in order to accurately observe and record the speeds at which vehicles are currently travelling, for survey purposes only."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

gafarrell wrote: »
    The following is taken from http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590. On the right hand side there is a FAQ you can download.

"What will the safety cameras look like?

On a phased basis, GoSafe will provide 6,000 enforcement hours and 1,475 survey hours per month across the country. For the 6,000 enforcement hours, the cameras will operate from vans which will be marked with high visibility reflective material and will display a safety camera symbol. Images of the vans are available on the Garda website – www.garda.ie.

The survey hours will be conducted from unmarked vans, in order to accurately observe and record the speeds at which vehicles are currently travelling, for survey purposes only."

That's talking about GoSafe vans, Garda vans are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Remember the van goes both ways so it could have been working the other side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭lau1247

-Corkie- wrote: »
    He could have nabbed you long before you seen him. Its impossible to say I passed one about a month ago and I was doing 120 KPH and heard nothing.

I passed one of the red van back in end of March and haven't heard from them either.. slowed as soon as i saw the of course

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

dceire wrote: »
    After 7 years of blemish free driving I was done by a gatso van two weeks back. I was driving home from town late at night & was caught for doing 70kmh along the quays outside Guinness's. I was nabbed by a white van with no markings. I received the letter yesterday and it said I was doing pretty much exactly what I saw on the speedo just after the flash from the van.

Two questions on the points themselves.
    i) Am I required to notify my insurance company now or when I renew?
    ii) Do the points apply to only my B licence only or my A licence as well?

The points will apply to all categories you have, even if you have a seperate learner permit for any other class along with a full license.
    The driver number is the same on both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What's the usual turnaround time from offence to getting letter in the post?

It's 21 days turnaround

-Chris- wrote: »
    That's talking about GoSafe vans, Garda vans are different.

Sorry just to be clear, the Gardai unmarked vans can take speed, issue fines and issue penalty points?

thanks

Are gardai vans recording speed like with Go Safe?? Or are they just doing general surveying in unmarked vans ? Thanks

Advertisement