Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countdown to LC Results 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Killian1993

Has anyone been posted out information about the 17th of August yet? eg: what time your school opens it's doors at for results. I'm expecting a letter in the post any day now because i have had no contact from my school at all so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Has anyone been posted out information about the 17th of August yet? eg: what time your school opens it's doors at for results. I'm expecting a letter in the post any day now because i have had no contact from my school at all so far.

You should be able to collect your results at your school from 9am. It'll probably be open from 8am though.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

_meehan_ wrote: »
    You should be able to collect your results at your school from 9am. It'll probably be open from 8am though.

Our school isn't opening its door til 10am, as if we didn't have to wait long enough as it is! If your school has a website you should check it out, the times might be on there.

O and this is the only info i could find 'bout the amount of people gettin first choice. From the irish times last year:
    Last week, 48,448 – around 62% – of this year’s record 77,628 college applicants got an offer but it was not the first choice course of almost 19,000 of the 35,422 people offered entry to a level 8 (honours bachelor degree) course. The CAO website had 70 level 8 and almost 100 level 7 and 6 courses open to applications from existing and new applicants last night.

Read more: http://irishexaminer.ie/ireland/36400-snap-up-first-round-cao-offers-129378.html#ixzz1UFQzJZQV

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Aslong as I get one of my level 8 choices I'll be happy to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would be surprised if in this time of cutting everything and anything, a school would waste money posting letters out to students telling them about the day of the results when the dogs in the street know what day it is.

The results will be delivered to the schools in a special 'earlier than usual' delivery. They are then checked by teachers to make sure you have the right school's results, the right subjects are listed etc., then the pages are photocopied and a set kept for student files. They are then put in envelopes along with the script viewing forms and left ready to be given to students.

Depending on the number of staff and candidates involved, that will take different amopunts of time. In most schools the results will be available from nine thirty or ten, some smaller schools much earlier.

The results are usually available online from noon.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I would be surprised if in this time of cutting everything and anything, a school would waste money posting letters out to students telling them about the day of the results when the dogs in the street know what day it is.

The results will be delivered to the schools in a special 'earlier than usual' delivery. They are then checked by teachers to make sure you have the right school's results, the right subjects are listed etc., then the pages are photocopied and a set kept for student files. They are then put in envelopes along with the script viewing forms and left ready to be given to students.

Depending on the number of staff and candidates involved, that will take different amopunts of time. In most schools the results will be available from nine thirty or ten, some smaller schools much earlier.

Thanks, that basically sums up everything now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Doesnt really feel like I'll be getting my results and hopefully getting ready for college in like 2 weeks :P lol, this is crazy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just as a thought, every year there are students who pull out the script viewing form instead of their results - in the panic, they do not realise what they are looking at, get all excited at a load of As and then are often disappointed when they see the real results sheet.
    Both sheets are A4 sized, but the results sheet has the SEC logo and a border around the page - see this picture.
    169779.jpg

Trying to find one of the script viewing form but no joy yet.

The script viewing form will have a list of the subjects taken and the level (in Irish), so it could say
    Bearla A
    Gaeilge A
    Stair A
    Tíreolaíocht A
    etc. and put somoene into a right flap.

Just be careful reading the results and be doubly careful about totting up points before getting yourself upset or alternatively over excited. Mistakes can be made under pressure, so get a mate to double check your tot on points.

Remember though, it's not going to be the end of the world whatever you get. It breaks my heart to see good kids upset every year when they really have not done badly at all, but have over-estimated their own abilities and expected more than was realistic.

There is always another way or opportunity to get the course you want.

Just as a thought, every year there are students who pull out the script viewing form instead of their results - in the panic, they do not realise what they are looking at, get all excited at a load of As and then are often disappointed when they see the real results sheet.
    Both sheets are A4 sized, but the results sheet has the SEC logo and a border around the page - see this picture.
    169779.jpg

Trying to find one of the script viewing form but no joy yet.

The script viewing form will have a list of the subjects taken and the level (in Irish), so it could say
    Bearla A
    Gaeilge A
    Stair A
    Tíreolaíocht A
    etc. and put somoene into a right flap.

Just be careful reading the results and be doubly careful about totting up points before getting yourself upset or alternatively over excited. Mistakes can be made under pressure, so get a mate to double check your tot on points.

Remember though, it's not going to be the end of the world whatever you get. It breaks my heart to see good kids upset every year when they really have not done badly at all, but have over-estimated their own abilities and expected more than was realistic.

There is always another way or opportunity to get the course you want.

Is it more common for a student to think they did better then they actually did? obviously it depends on the student but in general what have you observed.

Is it more common for a student to think they did better then they actually did? obviously it depends on the student but in general what have you observed.

The 'good' students usually have an idea what was needed and whether they honestly did it on the day of the exam, presuming all went well and they didn't completely misunderstand a question, or leave one out etc..

There is a group of students though who despite maybe leaving exams early in June and maybe not being exactly A or B students all along, seem to forget this over the summer and genuinely are surprised and really disappointed at their results when they get Cs.

As a general rule, I have found the more successful students tend to also be very critical of their own abilities, so they worry more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

The results are out on my birthday for fork's sake!

I have a bad feeling about this..

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Wiw, I leave this forum for like a day & suddenly it's jam-packed! :P I think posting here is the only thing that reminds me about the results. I'd quite happily forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I did 2 leaving certs and totalled up my points wrong both times by the same amount. Don't know how, it has something to do with the "buzz" of getting the results. So my recommendation is to use a calculator to add points and triple check.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paperpackages

I'm jumping in here a bit late, but the wait to results is getting so dragged out that I removed my self-imposed ban on checking LC forums until next week! :P

With regards to principals seeing results, in my school all the teachers are given access to the results as well. I suppose it makes sense...thing is, there a quite a few teachers in my school who are terrible. A lot of us nearly had breakdowns during the year because of teachers rather than the work, as they wouldn't help us enough and didn't cover enough topics, etc. For example, one Irish teacher (who I had for English and almost destroyed my chance of passing it) had a class of about 30; only 3 didn't get grinds! So she'll probably get high grades from her students, think it's due to her teaching and feel really proud of herself...I hope I don't come across as horrible but it really bothers me that she may be viewed as a good teacher because of this!

Like a lot of you, not sure if I'll tell people my results or not. I don't think I'd mind telling most people, although I don't want it getting around too much either. I'll wait until the day, I suppose. But I blog for an LC website and guess I should post my results there...funny how I don't mind strangers knowing what I got! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

It's crazy, the summer has gone so fast, and yet this last week has just dragged on and on....
    I'm praying I get my first or second choice, I don't care which to be honest!
    Anyway, hope all you guys get the grades you need, and see you in college next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Like a lot of you, not sure if I'll tell people my results or not. I don't think I'd mind telling most people, although I don't want it getting around too much either. I'll wait until the day, I suppose. But I blog for an LC website and guess I should post my results there...funny how I don't mind strangers knowing what I got! ;)

Snap! I blog as well, and I'm like "Oh crap, my results posted online for everyone to see?" I only found out a while ago that quite a lot of people in my school actually read the blog, and I felt worried that people I actually knew could see what I was saying! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

on reading this I feel like puking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

I really don't see the point in all this stressing. You've done your Leaving now sit back and let your just desserts wash over you. I myself am not going to kid myself in worrying that I haven't done well because honestly, I know I've gotten over 560. So, yeah this Leaving Cert is overrated once that job comes running.
    Don't worry yourself into thinking your life is over. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

I really don't see the point in all this stressing. You've done your Leaving now sit back and let your just desserts wash over you. I myself am not going to kid myself in worrying that I haven't done well because honestly, I know I've gotten over 560. So, yeah this Leaving Cert is overrated once that job comes running.

Ha, nice 'high-points'-dropping to make your post sound totally hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Keep the tone friendly and helpful and a bit less condescending or don't post at all.

To everyone else, don't feed the troll.

• Advertisement

It's crazy, the summer has gone so fast, and yet this last week has just dragged on and on....
    I'm praying I get my first or second choice, I don't care which to be honest!
    Anyway, hope all you guys get the grades you need, and see you in college next year!

I completely agree! I'm basically in the same situation as you my first 2 choices are my favorite and I hope i get them, I hope you get your first choice too!

Happy yet also sad to think that we'll only be on boards for a few weeks now, then someone else will take our place asking questions about the LC, well as it's only 10 days away now until we get some relief good luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Happy yet also sad to think that we'll only be on boards for a few weeks now, then someone else will take our place asking questions about the LC, well as it's only 10 days away now until we get some relief good luck to everyone!

It says your join date is August 2011... You've been here no more than a week! :L

Oh lol! :P

It says your join date is August 2011... You've been here no more than a week! :L

Oh lol! :P

ahahah no!!! I've been looking at posts weekly to daily on boards for the last Year and a half at least! (i started sometime in 5th yr) it only occurred to me to make an account a week ago, well better late then never!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

The person who started this thread is on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

The person who started this thread is on my list.

You'll never find me!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm really nervous for my results . I messed up in a couple of exams (:. I really want to go to Newcastle university and their offer was really high and I needed two A's and 4 B's I think I've gotten more C's and no A's.
    I'm just going to look and the results envelope and be like do I really want to open this.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭begsy

anyone have any tips on how to stop thinking about the results?? I'm scared that it is finally coming up to the day and the results seem to be all i think about... I would love to be getting anything between 500 and 530 but don't know if i done enough... :( nyone else constantly thinking about them??

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Try keep yourself occupied I suppose. I'm fortunate enough to have a job for the Summer and I'm training or playing matches most nights as well. That keeps my mind off it for the most part. It's going to get worse coming up to it as anticipation gets higher. People are already beggining to ask me questions like "Are the results out soon?" and "Are you nervous?" That's gonna get way worse over the next week and a half. Just remember that you're definitely not the only one agonising over the results. I'd say most L.C students are. I know I am anyway!

• Advertisement

begsy wrote: »
    anyone have any tips on how to stop thinking about the results?? I'm scared that it is finally coming up to the day and the results seem to be all i think about... I would love to be getting anything between 500 and 530 but don't know if i done enough... :( nyone else constantly thinking about them??

Long walks for me does it, I just look out at the sea and let my mind wonder and consider other options down my CAO list that i'm near certain i'll get, that cheers me up, maybe you could try the same? If you're worried you don't have the points for your first course then get that course out of your head as it will only make matters worse and will increase nerves!

Advertisement