Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PENALTY POINTS!

Options
  • 03-08-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey all. I ve a feelin i may have this in the wrong section but really need help. this mornin i may have been caught be a cop doing 55 in a 50 zone. Now, i think as i was passing he was just swingin the camera up on to his shoulder to begin the process and im almost sure i was going beyond the speed limit. i literally feel sick to my tummy because i ve been drivin years and this has never happened. Can i ask besides the penalty points and fine will i have to go to court and how long does it take for the fine to arrive in the post?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

If you accept the fine you won't have to go to court. Fines usually arrive between 10 and 14 days but I think you can still expect them for up to 6 months.

AFAIK sometimes if the Garda doesn't stop you at the scene then you don't hear anymore about it, you are allowed a % grace of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭wishinonastar

thanks for that...didnt get stopped at the scene and like i said i think he was just swingin the camera up to get started...wasnt speeding by any stretch of the imagination but could swear i wasnt doing bang on 50...this is my first offence too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

From what you've said I'd guess you've absolutely nothing to worry about.

55 in a 50 zone, speedo prob over-reporting your speed by 1-2 kph, you would be pretty unlucky to get done for that even if he did get a proper reading on you which he doesnt sound like he did.

Relax and forget about it, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Yeah I really wouldn't worry op. I was doing about 70k in a 60k zone. Passed one of those vans and never heard a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You didn't get pulled, you won't get done.

If its Gardai with a speed camera they have to pull you over and give your the points & fine.

Seen 2 gardai hiding behind a bus stop on their favorite part of Rock road yesterday morning. Catch a few suckers going to work doing a few kph over 50 on a big decent road.

The go safe vans will just record you and send it out in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Does anyone know if it is the car registration address or your driving licence address that the fines are sent to? (I have never changed my Driving Licence address even though I moved house four years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I wouldn't worry about it. It's likely you won't be getting a notice.

I've passed Gardai with my speedo marginally over the limit on multiple occasions. The only reason I've ever dropped my speed approaching these guys is that some numpty in front of me has hit the breaks in a panic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

annascott wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is the car registration address or your driving licence address that the fines are sent to? (I have never changed my Driving Licence address even though I moved house four years ago)
    The car registration address. :rolleyes: They don't know who was driving just what car it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 GER82

I was doing 106km/hr on a 100 limit dual carriage way. I passed an unmarked van with lamps visible from the back window. I have never got penalty points before and I always keep below the limit apart from this occasion.. Is there a leniency?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

GER82 wrote: »
    I was doing 106km/hr on a 100 limit dual carriage way. I passed an unmarked van with lamps visible from the back window. I have never got penalty points before and I always keep below the limit apart from this occasion.. Is there a leniency?

Never seen any lamps and I've passed all the vans in the country - almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Over in the UK they work on a 10% +2 system, so in a 30 zone you'd get away with 35 but get done at 36, exactly what happened to me.....twice!!!

Advertisement