Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boards.ie Pro Wrestler of The Week 2011/12

Options
  • 30-07-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just another idea to keep this place busy!

So I know some of you follow 411mania.com for wrestling news and what not, and they have a neat little feature on their website called Wrestler of the Week. Basically the writers from Saturday-Monday morning vote on the top five wrestlers of the week. Number 1 gets 5 points, 2 gets 4 etc etc. Then the lists are all combined and you have your top 5 for that week.

I have been thinking of doing our own version for awhile but have been waiting for the perfect week, and with Mondays date being the 1st of August it seems like the perfect time to begin.

So, if you wish to take part, here are The Rules:

1)PM me between now (Saturday) and 11am Monday with your top 5.

2) Rank your top 5 clearly Number 1, Number 2 etc. If there is no clear indication as to who is placed where then your vote won't count.

3) You can vote for your wrestlers any way you want and from any company. (Following kayfabe, in ring performance, career milestones, most talked about this week etc.)

4) Please only use the past week for your reasons to vote. For example don't vote for CM Punk this week because of MITB since it took place a few weeks ago.

5) The person who comes first each week will be awarded 10 points, second will get 8, third 6, fourth 4 and fifth second.

6) Come the first week of August 2012 we will have the Boards.ie Pro Wrestler of The Year 2012.

So get Pming! I'll be keeping this post updated throught the year so you can see how everyone is doing with each week.

Year Standings So Far

1) Chrisitan (10)

2) Rey Mysterio (8)

3) John Cena (6)

4) Zack Ryder (4)

5) Sheamus (2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Done:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

great idea, might need to make sure you bump the thread every week to keep interest up but it could work really well imo and give a proper indication of who the best current wrestlers are. I'll have my votes in whenever i get around to watching SD, busy as f*ck atm.
    6) Come the first week of August 2012 we will have the very first Boards.ie Pro Wrestler of The Year.

Actually I think Danielson was crowned Boards.ie Pro Wrestler of The Year for the calender year of 2011 in that big American top 30 thing I ran but this would be a much better way of judging who was truely the MVP of the year week in week out and much better judges the effect of injuries etc cos they will only be scoring points on weeks they are involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Ah yes that's true, whoops!

Aye I'll bump it each Saturday to keep everyone aware, should be interesting! And if folks feel like writing a short line or two as to why they voted for their guys then that'll give me something to post with each result. (Thanks to D2D since it was his PM that made me think that!)

Ah yes that's true, whoops!

Aye I'll bump it each Saturday to keep everyone aware, should be interesting! And if folks feel like writing a short line or two as to why they voted for their guys then that'll give me something to post with each result. (Thanks to D2D since it was his PM that made me think that!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Why is it by PM?

Since its a discussion forum shouldn't the picks be posted here for all to read.

• Advertisement

It's just for the count. The votes will all be made public on the Monday and open for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,022 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Mine sent now ;)

+1

I really like how this could give a proper representation of who is performing the best week by week i.e Cena/Danielson would usually win something like this as they garner both ends of the fan support but in this it will be who does the most/best for just that week. Bryan didnt have a match this week just interupted Wades promo and therefore didnt even make my top 5

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It's just for the count. The votes will all be made public on the Monday and open for discussion.

Right so, fair dues to you for making the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Is it ok if I get involved in this? I have only just started posting in this forum, but I think this is a great idea, plus it gives me a chance to start posting straight away!!

It's open to everyone :)

Welcome to the forum!

It's open to everyone :)

Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks

Mine sent :)

Good response so far guys! Remember you have until 11am tomorrow to get your week one votes in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Maybe it could be an idea if people run down a show and just name the wrestlers who were on said shows during the week.

I can barely remember monday at this stage.

Edit:
    Heres a rundown of all wrestlers involved this week on Raw, Smackdown, Superstars and Impact-
    RAW:
    Rey Mysterio
    Miz
    Dolph Ziggler
    Evan Bourne
    The Bellas
    Eve
    Maryse
    Melina
    Kelly Kelly
    Triple H
    John Cena
    R Truth
    John Morrison
    Zack Ryder
    Alberto Del Rio
    Kofi Kingston

Smackdown:
    Christian
    John Morrison
    Tamina
    Alicia Fox
    Rosa Mendes
    AJ
    Natalya
    Kaitlyn
    Mark Henry
    Zack Ryder
    Teddy Long
    David Otunga
    Michael McGillicutty
    The Uso's
    Johnny Curtis
    Cody Rhodes
    Ted DiBiase
    Ezekiel Jackson
    R Truth
    Orton

Superstars:
    Heath Slater
    Trent Barreta
    Chris Masters
    Santino Marella
    David Otunga
    Michael McGullicutty
    Jack Swagger
    Alex Riley

NXT:
    Derrick Bateman
    Darren Young
    Titus O'Neil
    Hornswoggle
    AJ
    Maryse
    JTG
    Vladimir Kozlov
    Yoshi Tatsu
    Tyson Kidd

IMPACT:
    Kurt Angle
    Hulk Hogan
    Gunner
    RVD
    Sting
    Brian Kendrick
    Alex Shelly
    Austin Aries
    Abyss
    Crimson
    Bully Ray
    Winter
    Angelina Love
    Tara
    Ms. Tessmacher
    Mr. Anderson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

CMpunked wrote: »
    Maybe it could be an idea if people run down a show and just name the wrestlers who were on said shows during the week.

Punk and all the background talent (if you want to vote Chris Masters for sliding his head into the shot) count aswell for Raw, no?

Ridley wrote: »
    Punk and all the background talent (if you want to vote Chris Masters for sliding his head into the shot) count aswell for Raw, no?

The list is partially inaccurate, i just lifted it from reports and looked out for names that were mentioned as part of angles.

As is often the case the answers in the OP
    3) You can vote for your wrestlers any way you want and from any company. (Following kayfabe, in ring performance, career milestones, most talked about this week etc.)

so if you want to vote for the Masterpiece for spraying Rey with champers (not even sure if he did myself) then go ahead. Lets just try and actually vote for the 5 people who you think for whatever reason were the best 5 wrestlers of the week. Hpowever a list like cmpunked's will make it easier cos obviously most people would be more likely to vote for people who had matches etc.

Chris Masters is too good for any wrestler of the week list :p

Cheers for the list Punk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sliotor

Right sent you my five cheers.

A great response for Week 1, here are the votes:

Dare_2_Defy:

1) CM Punk - Obvious choice tbh. Comeback might've been rushed but this storyline is just awesome

2) Rey Mysterio - Won the title in a pretty good match with Miz, deserves the number 2 spot this week

3) John Cena - The WWE Champ deserves his spot after beating Rey for the title

4) Christian - Nice win in a great match against JoMo on SD.

5) Cody Rhodes - Another win for Rhodes again. Building himself up nicely

Starviewadams:

1.Rey Mysterio:Two great matches on Raw with Miz and Cena.

2.R-Truth:Good promo work on both Raw and SD! and good match with Randy Orton.

3.Christian:Good little match with JoMo on SD! and good promo work with Triple H.

4.Zack Ryder:First win on Raw in 2011 and did well as Teddy Long's assistant on SD!.Good week for him

5.Daniel Bryan:Liked his angle with Wade Barrett on SD!

Bounty Hunter:

5. Sheamus - Dont think he actually had a match but he really impressed me without doing much today, he's over and he knows it. If he keeps up even the simple little bits of he's doing like his big grin then he will very quickly be one of the biggest faces in the WWE

4. Christian / Orton: Im sure you will allow my next choice but if not both of these as once more they keep their long ass feud interesting which alone impresses me tbh. If i had to pick one i'd go Christian.

3. HHH - I'm really enjoying HHH's first week as the boss and I guess im just really enjoying the fresh vibe he has brought to it evn though a lot of that is simply the storyline change and not just trips

2. Rey Mysterio - Im not a huge fan of rey's telegraphed moves like many on boards but the guy had 2 great matches matches on Raw and long ones at that and was imo the driving force behind both matches being so good. Normally he would be no.1 after a week like this.

1. WWYKI - Many wont agree with number 1 but to each theoir own and my reason is he has fgone from zero to not just an internet hero in the space of a week. He couldent get on either SD or Raw till now yet this week he pulled double duty, first squashing Cole then becoming Teddy Longs assistant and appearing in multiple segments. Def my Broski wrestler of the week

JP Liz V1:

1. Christian
    2. John Cena
    3. Austin Aries
    4. HHH
    5. R Truth

Machismo Fan:

1. Rey Mysterio
    2. John Cena
    3. Sheamus
    4. Austin Aries
    5. Sting

DM-ICE:

No 1: Randy Orton. Played his persona brilliantly this week. Put on a decent match but his after match antics were fantastic. I loved how he accidentally scared the life out of some children at ring side. He is the complete opposite of Cena in a the face role.

No 2: Christian, he put on a good match with Jo Mo, had a promo with HHH and was the perfect foil for Ortons craziness at the end of Smackdown.

No 3: Rey mysterio, two good matches. He delivers every-time and ridiculously underrated.

No 4: Cena, had a good match with Rey, "Won" the title and he was excellent in the post match return of Punk. He genuinely is a good actor.

No 5: Dolph Ziggler, he won his match with style, spoke for himself instead of using Vickie and showed great intensity.

Spongey1975:

1. Cena
    2. Orton
    3. Christian
    4. Mysterio
    5. Zack Ryder

Hangballlouie:

Number 1: Mark Henry
    Really enjoying this new heel run. Just hope they don't mess it up.
    Number 2: Sheamus
    His interaction with Henry was great, both came out strong, plus he is getting great pops.
    Number 3: Zack Ryder
    Showed that he has the charisma to be on tv all the time. Some good stuff on smackdown but I hope he gets some ring action in the next few weeks.
    Number 4: Cody Rhodes
    I thought his new persona would get old quickly but it hasn't. Great to watch, and getting better in the ring every week.
    Number 5: R-Truth
    The little Jimmy thing is getting a little annoying but he is so watchable. Great interaction with HHH.

JBnaglfar:

5: Christian - I'm enjoying his heel work and he had a good match against John Morrison.

4: R Truth - Another heel who has been doing some good stuff lately. He had great promos on Raw and Smackdown.

3: Zack Ryder - Good to see him make an appearance on Raw, and with his new position on Smackdown he should get a lot more TV time.

2: Sheamus - I am really enjoying his face turn and thought he got a great reception on Smackdown. The face turn will probably come with a push too, so his future looks bright.

1: Rey Mysterio - Rey takes the number one spot having won the WWE title for the first time, even if it was a short reign. He also had two good matches on Raw.

Sliotor:

1- Dolph Ziggler. I thought his match with kofi was good .

2- Christian. His match with JM was class and he played his part well while making Morrison look good.

3- Alex Shelly. Good match and put aries over and plus good to see him in singles environment.

4- R-Truth. Comedy wise his great and had solid match aswell against orton.

5- Morrison. Good to see him back and had class match against christian.

And this weeks top 5 are....

5) Sheamus with 24 Points

4) Zack Ryder with 28 Points

3) John Cena with 36 Points

2)
    Rey Mysterio with 54 Points

1)
    Chrisitan is your first Wrestler of the Week with 60 Points!

Thanks to everyone who voted this week! Here is the year standings so far and I look forward to your votes next week:

1) Chrisitan (10)

2) Rey Mysterio (8)

3) John Cena (6)

4)
    Zack Ryder (4)

5) Sheamus (2)

Week 1s results have been added to the hot links sticky (post 5 with the boards.ie HOF) as will hopefully all weeks results as long as this runs.

I knew i shouldnt have slept in..

79456022.jpg

Yay Christian No. 1 this week :)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yay Christian No. 1 this week :)
    I was questioning if I should vote or not since I could see the positions with each vote I thought it would be unfair for me to vote, but if I did Rey would have won wrestler of the week! Would have given Sara Del Ray number three for beating Claudio Castagnoli in Chikara and Cena would have been my number two, with Aries at 4 and Ryder at 5

Bump as reminder to vote for week 2 ;)

Just remember this weeks PPV y'all for your votes. I'm expecting a huge surge on Sunday night/monday morning

btw tbc you should vote just vote before everyone else, tis what i did with my US top 30 last year, that way its not as if you voting is unfair cos you know peoples positions etc cos you would have already voted before they got into those positions.

no reason you should miss out just cos you had the idea

• Advertisement

Leaving votes open until 10pm tonight because I have only recieved two Pms so far...

Advertisement