Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redmond's Pub at Scarawalsh

Options
  • 08-06-2010 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

In my continuing quest for 'real' Irish pubs I have been meaning to visit Redmond's at Scarawalsh for a long time - does anybody know when I might find it open or have any other information about it? I have heard that Bono drinks there, so if you could let me know a time when I am unlikely to bump into him, that would be good too. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I was in their yrs ago, it's deadly allright, i think the owners live at the premises so i presume you could just knock.
    As for real Irish pubs, there's a place in Killenagh, near Ballygarret, Gorey, cant remember the name of it but you dont get much more authentic than it. It's not the thatched one but that's deadly too, there probably only 1/2 mile from each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thanks for that. I've heard Redmond's is the real deal. Unsurprisingly there is no draught but the only sign that it is a pub at all is a Smithwicks Draught sign on a gateway - or so I'm told. There are few enough of the real old pubs left in the South East - French's on the Main Street in Gorey is another gem, at least it was the last time I was in it some five years ago. I'll post a pic of Redmond's if I get out there.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Murtinho wrote: »
    I was in their yrs ago, it's deadly allright, i think the owners live at the premises so i presume you could just knock.
    As for real Irish pubs, there's a place in Killenagh, near Ballygarret, Gorey, cant remember the name of it but you dont get much more authentic than it. It's not the thatched one but that's deadly too, there probably only 1/2 mile from each other.

Porters of Killlenagh.

Just found this : http://www.goreyguardian.ie/premium/news/cowen-enjoys-his-porter-in-porters-1604174.html

58166046-4be1-487a-_260671t.jpg

- you might have warned me! Bono in one place and Biffo in the other, what is it that brings them all to wexford? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

One of my favourite pubs, a real classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Patrick Furlongs in Templeshannon in Enniscorthy is a must see!

Er, No thanks! There are pubs with loads of character and there are pubs to be avoided due to loads of characters i.e the clientele of Furlong's. Anyway it looks like a thorough going dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

The Antique in Enniscorthy is great... tiny but great!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Is Redmonds still open? I drive past quite frequently and never see anyone going in or out of it.

Goreygal wrote: »
    Is Redmonds still open? I drive past quite frequently and never see anyone going in or out of it.

As far as I know it is still open and has always had a closed-up appearance. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Still open and doing business-a real old fashioned pub,been a while since I've had a drink there but I know a few of the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 looey

yes Redmonds is still open, 7 days a week! Opens every evening around 5 and all day Saturday and Sunday. I should know, I live there!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Macdonalds Bar (Greasy Mags) down Slaney Street. Thats where its at. No draught there except the one coming in under the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Or what about "Declan's" in Killurin ?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Or what about "Declan's" in Killurin ?
    Declans is a grand pub. Fire always lighting, no bud on tap, great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

As far as I know it is still open and has always had a closed-up appearance. :D

it,s open alright i'll bring you for a bottle if you like

there is some good spots out there codds in kilrush, the hallow in marshstown' jordan's ballindaggin 'bowes kiltealy,freddies screen nick doyles the still pond, just a few off the top of me head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Was in Redmond's last night... place was fairly packed (circa 25 people), fire lit, lots of keening, a bit of banjo & bodhrán and some Monageer/Shamrocks GAA rivalry in the form of banter.

And yes Bono did stop in there for a drink once, the photo is on display to prove it.

T'was a good night... good spot.

hop2it wrote: »
    there is some good spots out there codds in kilrush, the hallow in marshstown' jordan's ballindaggin 'bowes kiltealy,freddies screen nick doyles the still pond, just a few off the top of me head
    Lovely Spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

looey wrote: »
    yes Redmonds is still open, 7 days a week! Opens every evening around 5 and all day Saturday and Sunday. I should know, I live there!! :D
    Is that because you a resident or the resident alco? :D

The Bridge Bar in Gorey, like French's has character (and characters!)

Craanford pub (front featured on a Guinness ad I'm informed)

How many remember the Hollow (Monart) when it had character 'til they made it all posh. Anyone remember or know where Aghivor (phonetic pronunciation) possible spelt Aghamor. I can't remember how I got to it and I certainly can't remember how I got home ;)

• Advertisement

'scorthy wrote: »
    Is that because you a resident or the resident alco? :D

The Bridge Bar in Gorey, like French's has character (and characters!)

Craanford pub (front featured on a Guinness ad I'm informed)

How many remember the Hollow (Monart) when it had character 'til they made it all posh. Anyone remember or know where Aghivor (phonetic pronunciation) possible spelt Aghamor. I can't remember how I got to it and I certainly can't remember how I got home ;)

i remember the hollow (sonny franeys) when it had a really low celing and bus seats.

also i was never in the aghevor if me memory serve's me right it,s between Palace and poul peasrty

One year and two days since my OP in this thread and I finally made it out to Redmond's at Scarawalsh. The pub is situated about 100 yards from where the Bunclody road joins the N11 at Scarawalsh, but it can easily be missed as there's no name over the door.

scarawalsh005.jpg

Anyway, it was just like they used to say in the Carlsberg Ads - Worth waiting for! In the same family for five generations, Redmond's is like a step back in time and the nondescript yet interesting exterior hides one of the nicest, most unspoilt bars you're ever likely to come across. It was like entering someone's private house and, of course, I chose to arrive in the middle of the Wexford/Dublin football final! However, both Aidan Redmond and his sister Joan could not have been more hospitable.

scarawalsh004.jpg

This is a traditional pub in the best sense of the word - there is no draught beer - and no food apart from bacon fries and chocolate. Beyond the beautiful public bar, just four bar stools long, is the private sitting room where several people were enjoying the football. I was invited in but being a rugby fan opted to remain in the bar and soak up the ambience instead. It is a place to while away a good few hours but offered a lift back to town by Joan I reluctantly left after just two. Bono is amongst its most famous of patrons in recent years but, thankfully, he wasn't there today as I doubt there would be room for our two egos! So, another pub to visit before you die - right up there with nearby French's (Gorey), Kehoe's (Sth.Anne Street, Dublin) and Morrissey's (Abbeyleix) - small but perfectly formed. Like General MacArthur, I shall return. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Well done JD.

I forgot to mention I spent another good night in Redmonds about 8 weeks ago. A five string guitar and about a dozen made to order plectrums (beers mats, bottle caps etc) and we were jamming all night. Who need Ryan Sheridan?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Redmonds is getting a new roof,the old one wouldn't have lasted another Winter.Work is well under way at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

took a trip up here at your recommendation Judgement! class little place... we had a drink out the front bar and then were invited into the sitting room with the REAL open fire and smoke billowing around the place... proper authentic pub ...id say the yanks love it! :)

Advertisement