Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping Procrastination

Options
  • 06-07-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

I hope this is the right section. I'm wondering are there any CD's that play subliminal message to stop procrastination, or if hypnotism works? "Putting things on the long finger" is a habit I want to get out of, and thus I'd like to be rid of my procrastination habit.

Has anyone have any suggestions that they've tried, which have worked for them, in the past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

you could look here.

This isn't PI, everyone; but you can discuss
    I'm wondering are there any CD's that play subliminal message to stop procrastination, or if hypnotism works?
    JC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

There's no evidence that subliminal CDs work. I would go for CBT style interventions over something like hypnosis. Here is a list of resources I have recommended elsewhere before:

You may wish to check out this Australian centre's really good CBT orientated guide to overcoming procrastination, I find their stuff to be excellent:
    http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=50

1) Overcoming Procrastination: Or How to Think and Act Rationally in Spite of Life's Inevitable Hassles by Albert Ellis.

Ellis is the founder of a version of CBT called REBT. His stuff is usually ultra practical. You can pick it up for about a fiver.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Procrastination-Rationally-Inevitable-Hassles/dp/0451120469/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301331592&sr=8-3

2) Overcoming Procrastination by Windy Dryden

Dryden is a big wig in CBT, again in the REBT version. Another one that can be picked up for about a fiver 2nd hand.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Procrastination-common-problems/dp/0859698157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301331716&sr=8-1

3) The Procrastinator's Digest by Timothy Pychy.
    He's one of the leading psychologists on the issue of procrastination. At 80 pages for £10 he may want to go **** himself, but he is one of the top experts.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Procrastinators-Digest-Timothy-Ph-D-Pychyl/dp/1453528598/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301330689&sr=1-1

4) Still Procrastinating?: The No Regrets Guide to Getting it Done by Joseph Ferrari.
    The other top expert in the world with a self-help book on it. Looks like better value at 3 times the size and costs less.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Still-Procrastinating-Regrets-Guide-Getting/dp/0470611588/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301330275&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hotspur wrote: »
    CBT
    What do you mean by "CBT"? To me it means "Computer Based Training"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

the_syco wrote: »

Sorry, I mean cognitive behavioural therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

the_syco wrote: »

Yeah, I used get a lot of Motorcycle Training people ringing me....never did quite understand it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭movingtotheuk

Anyway in distinguishing between a person who is a procrastinator or just dog lazy???

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I thought the procrastinator actually wanted to do something about their problem, and try help themselves. I suppose that means they have insight and are aware of the effects of their procrastination.
    Whereas someone who is lazy, is just that - lazy....
    They have no interest in changing.

I thought the procrastinator actually wanted to do something about their problem, and try help themselves. I suppose that means they have insight and are aware of the effects of their procrastination.
    Whereas someone who is lazy, is just that - lazy....
    They have no interest in changing.

Maybe Im a procrastinator so.

I've started already with buying this book - will i buy the book? What's the point? Sure I'd never finish it? Actually I'll buy it tomorrow. This will go on for a few weeks until eventually I give up and forget about it.

AHHHHHHHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Exactly! I think being a procrastinator is a nicer word than just being lazy. You see you've shown you're not lazy, because you do intend buying the book after all.

I'd like to buy the book ASAP so maybe I'm not as bad a procrastinator as I thought I was.

Thank you hotspur for all the helpful information!

Exactly! I think being a procrastinator is a nicer word than just being lazy. You see you've shown you're not lazy, because you do intend buying the book after all.

I'd like to buy the book ASAP so maybe I'm not as bad a procrastinator as I thought I was.

Thank you hotspur for all the helpful information!

Oh I'd like to buy the book immediately.

However town is very busy on a Saturday, Im about to have lunch now and would like to relax after that, will i really read the book, I feel life might get too busy in the next week or so.....That's how a GRADE A procrastinator's brain work. The reality is I have plenty of time, town is hardly that busy. Excuses, excuses...

• Advertisement
Advertisement