Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you want to JTAG your xbox360? (POST 248 FOR xeBuild/16197 TUT)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ok, there's only one thing to say. Much as I like BP toolbox, there really is only one way to do this. Save yourself a headache by learning to do it manually with fbbuild. While on the surface it looks the 'hardest' of all the methods, in reality, its the easiest thing you can do & is the safest, most reliable way to update a jtag.

Previously I had to go soldering due to mistakes made by coolshrimps tool. And recently, the 13146 BP tool wouldn't play ball with any of my nand dumps. Que fault finding & headaches.

Today? Following TV's steps in this thread I made a 13146 updflash.bin file in under five mins (treble checking everything). Flashed with Flash360 & bang, 13146 up and running without a hiccup.

Bye bye frontends from here on out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Real modders love the command line :D

Real modders love the command line :D

& like all real modders, I've now had my fun with the console & will leave the game playing to someone else :pac:

Build Instructions:

For simplicity you need the following:

1) Your CPU Key
    2) Your Freeboot v0.032 (Dash 12625 or any of your working console specific jtag dumps ) nand file and SMC
    3) 13146.zip (xbins) (or whatever dash you require)
    4) fbBuild v0.31 (latest as of this post) (xbins)

Getting ready
    Download fbBuild and extract it to a folder - say C:\fbBuild

Download 13146.zip and extract the contents to C:\fbBuild\data13146 (or whatever the appropriate folder for your required dash)

Edit C:\fbBuild\1blkey.txt. On the first line is a dummy key - replace it with DD88AD0C9ED669E7B56794FB68563EFA

Edit C:\fbBuild\mydata\cpukey.txt. On the first line is a dummy key - replace it with the CPU key of the console.

Extracting KV and SMC_CONFIG.bin
    Open up 360 Flash Tool v0.97 and click Settings->Options. Tick the box that says "Extract ibuild compatible files". Then open your freeboot nand and click extract on the bottom. Tick the box for 'config blocks' and 'Keyvault' and click OK. Choose a folder for these files. When extraction is done, go to that folder and there'll be a folder called freeBOOT, click into it, then into data and you will find two files - kv.bin and smc_config.bin. Copy these two files to C:\fbBuild\mydata

Picking the right SMC (not for Xenon consoles)
    This step is very important if your console is not a xenon - flashing the wrong SMC can end your JTAG :( When you built freeboot v0.032 you probably downloaded some pre-built Xellous files and SMC files from the guide:

Boxxdr patched, don't proceed without knowing your Jtag wiring method SMC Files (Jasper, Zephyr or Falcon only) - Link

Well each of these files had an SMC in the archive and when building your custom freeBOOT using Bestpig's tool you renamed the file to smc.bin and copied it into data directory. This is the right SMC for your console, so once again rename it to smc.bin and copy it to C:\fbBuild\mydata

Build freeBOOT
    Open a command prompt, go to C:\fbBuild and type the following
    fbbuild -c <model> -d mydata -f 13146 (if 13146 is required) c:\updflash.bin

<model> is either xenon, falcon, zephyr, jasper, jasper256, jasper512

Freeboot v0.31 will build as updflash.bin - copy it to USB, boot to Xellous and flash it.

Post-Install

Download the full system update
    Extract to a USB stick (blank)
    Insert USB stick into console
    Power console on, accept the update, the console will apply and then reboot.

If you had modified the console fanspeed on the previous dash (I run at 60% on the Jaspers) then run FanSpeed_60.xex or whatever via XeXMenu :)

I've just ammended & brought things up to date in the quote. It's all TV's info & I've added in any additional relevent info that I needed while building my 13146. Also using this method, my fan speed flash settings wern't integrated into the new build. I simply opened the new updflash.bin with 360 Flash Tool, edited the config to the required fan settings & rebuilt in the same tool. Flashed & all was well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ive got a xenon and when i try the above i get an error saying "could not read smc.bin" where to i get or create this file?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

You don't need the smc for a xenon console are you trying to update the dashboard?

Helix wrote: »
    ive got a xenon and when i try the above i get an error saying "could not read smc.bin" where to i get or create this file?

The file is decrypted from whatever nand you supply for Bestpig's tool.

If you are not using Bestpig's tool, and are manually building your own using fbBuild then I have already covered that earlier in this thread
    Xenon Console OR You're not using AUD_CLAMP or don't know for sure - Take a backup of your current nand (must be the current nand) using Flash360, open the nand dump in 360 flash tool and click Extract, check the box beside SMC and click OK. Extract it to a folder, open that folder and open the folder called SMC. There will be two files there, SMC_dec.bin and SMC_enc.bin. You want the SMC_dec.bin file. Copy it to the mydata folder and rename it to smc.bin

cheers lads

one more question, when im extracting the kv.bin file it doesnt happen as explained in the above instructions. instead of going in the freeboot folder, i get a keyvault folder which contains kv_enc.bin, do i rename this to kv.bin and move to mydata or has something gone wrong?

sorry for the questions, but when things dont happen exactly like they should i get a little paranoid about stuff like this. first time is always slow for me

*edit*

never mind, all sorted!

cheers lads

one more question, when im extracting the kv.bin file it doesnt happen as explained in the above instructions. instead of going in the freeboot folder, i get a keyvault folder which contains kv_enc.bin, do i rename this to kv.bin and move to mydata or has something gone wrong?

sorry for the questions, but when things dont happen exactly like they should i get a little paranoid about stuff like this. first time is always slow for me

*edit*

never mind, all sorted!

kv_dec.bin - put your CPU Key into Flash360 to get kv_dec.bin :p

all sorted in the end. having a spot of bother getting it to boot straight into FSD, but i think i found the solution last night. gonna have a try when i get a chance later on

• Advertisement

all sorted in the end. having a spot of bother getting it to boot straight into FSD, but i think i found the solution last night. gonna have a try when i get a chance later on

Install the latest dashlaunch, put launch.ini in the root of the hdd and edit the path to were you have freestyle dash on the hdd, launch.ini should look like:

default = hdd:/fsd2.0/default.xex

jaysus im rolling from one mess to the next with this. got a 640gb 2.5" hd today, formatted her up in fat32, popped it into a 360 hd enclosure, attached her up, went into memory, hit format, entered serial number and.... nothing. just keeps saying unformatted after i format it

any ideas?

jaysus im rolling from one mess to the next with this. got a 640gb 2.5" hd today, formatted her up in fat32, popped it into a 360 hd enclosure, attached her up, went into memory, hit format, entered serial number and.... nothing. just keeps saying unformatted after i format it

any ideas?

There should be no need to format a drive as FAT32 beforehand and it might actually be causing issues. Remove all partitions, try again. If that fails, use a tool/guide to set the correct partitions from an OEM drive (e.g. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=701738).

Also, make sure the serial you're entering is correct :P

definitely the correct serial, i know it off by heart at this stage lol

ill get rid of the partitions and try a virgin drive now in a few (currently fixing my desktop pc which quite irritatingly decided to pack it in on me earlier... my floor is literally covered in bits of computers, hard drive enclosures, screws and assorted torx screwdrivers)

that link is exactly what i was looking for earlier without much luck. still learning the jtag side of things so not entirely sure of any of the names of things that im looking for. hopefully after tonight itll all be plain sailing. if not, im gonna whip out the dvd drive and just hook a 3.5" 1tb hard drive up in its place

got the hd working, wrote 0s to it and it formatted 3rd time round

That link should only be used as a last resort. Really, the console should do all the work. If you connect the drive to a computer, verify the serial number using a tool like AIDA32/SiSoft Sandra or even good old command prompt (the format tool gives you the serial once formatted).

so, i was bored and bought kinect, which doesnt seem to want to work with my jtag

now, as far as i knew i was well up to date with the dash, can anyone tell me what one im looking for for kinect support?

What dashboard are you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ricochet69

Great post but need to be updated. http://www.free60.org/Reset_Glitch_Hack

• Advertisement

Ricochet69 wrote: »
    Great post but need to be updated. http://www.free60.org/Reset_Glitch_Hack

Well the established jtag method is still far more mainstream & reliable. They are two completely seperate hacks, and I don't see why one has to be any more dominant than the other. In fact, the established method is still far more useful in terms of what it can do.

So no, while we're all aware of the glitch method, I don't think we need to say goodbye to the established method just yet ;)

As seen in your own link:
    Caveats

Nothing is ever perfect, so there are a few caveats to that hack:

Even in the glitch we found is pretty reliable (25% success rate per try on average), it can take up to a few minutes to boot to unsigned code.
    That success rate seems to depend on something like the hash of the modified bootloader we want to run (CD for fats and CB_B for slims).
    It requires precise and fast hardware to be able to send the reset pulse.

I dont mean get rid of it, i just mean mention that there is another method. I know they are working on mod chips for the glitch method. I know the Glitch Hack is very new.

I dont mean get rid of it, i just mean mention that there is another method. I know they are working on mod chips for the glitch method. I know the Glitch Hack is very new.

We decided not to clutter up this thread with all new details of an all new hack. Its still in its early stages, & there's enough verified, solid info in this thread to digest without confusing matters with details of a completely different type of hack.

That may change at some point, but I see no reason why, given there are now two methods to jtag a 360, that there shouldn't be two seperate threads...each providing clear concise information indepentantly of each other.

Mixing them together would be detrimental to this thread, & it'd blur all the work that went into it. We have an active thread for the glitch hack on the front page of this forum, where we're keeping an eye on developments as they happen.

Well that makes perfect sense. I guess the Glitch Hack is very new and it will be great to see some development in that area since its meant to be unpatchable by M$. Ive only discovered this section of boards, i used to use other forums but its great to talk to irish people about modding.

Well that makes perfect sense. I guess the Glitch Hack is very new and it will be great to see some development in that area since its meant to be unpatchable by M$. Ive only discovered this section of boards, i used to use other forums but its great to talk to irish people about modding.

Welcome :)

As EnterNow stated, we're not cluttering up this thread just yet - mainly because only libxenon binaries can be run at the minute because there is no rebooter.

As soon as there's a standardised product (e.g. the Xecutor Coolrunner), or a standardised method for the modification and a rebooter released you can bet the mods will update this sticky, or somebody will start another one detailing the glitch method

think ive found the source of my kinect issue... i need the avatar update, but it wont let me use cd or usb to do it. when i try nothing happens, and the dvd/cd just shows up as mixed media rather than running the update

any ideas?

is it possible to apply the update using fsd in any way?

think ive found the source of my kinect issue... i need the avatar update, but it wont let me use cd or usb to do it. when i try nothing happens, and the dvd/cd just shows up as mixed media rather than running the update

any ideas?

is it possible to apply the update using fsd in any way?

Boot to the dash and put $SystemUpdate folder on a USB stick plug into a USB port and you'll be prompted to update. Make sure its the proper update by verifying it with UpdateSpy

justryan wrote: »
    Boot to the dash and put $SystemUpdate folder on a USB stick plug into a USB port and you'll be prompted to update. Make sure its the proper update by verifying it with UpdateSpy

tried that, doesnt work

nothing happens with the usb stick in the port

tried 5 different usb sticks, all formatted fat 32 with nothing else on them

also tried the rename to $$systemupdate trick

justryan wrote: »

tried that, doesnt work

nothing happens with the usb stick in the port

tried 5 different usb sticks, all formatted fat 32 with nothing else on them

also tried the rename to $$systemupdate trick

Make sure you have either a Hdd connected or memory card when updating, also rename it back to $SystemUpdate

• Advertisement

Remember you need to be going to the standard dash to update it wont work through Xexmenu or Freestyle Dash. If this fails try navigate to the $SystemUpdate folder in Xexmenu or Freestyle Dash and run default.xex if it's there.

Advertisement