Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nudie Bike Ride

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

At least your not mentally scarred from that carry on. When I worked in Vancouver, I had to fix a puncture for a guy the wrong side of 60 who was bollock naked, the ****er had to stand next to me while I did it too :rolleyes: . I was very close to quitting there on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Did he have his own pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

did you work on his tube?

studiorat wrote: »
    Did he have his own pump?

Being a far more pro shop than the ones here, we had Compressed air :p , no pumping for me :p

Although Im sure he had a wide collection of pumps

which may or may not have had a presta or schrader adaptor :eek:

Korvanica wrote: »
    did you work on his tube?

Nah just replaced it, was torn and stretched and well patched, bit past its useful life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,909 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sounds like you'd be all day trying to get it hard.

Stark wrote: »
    Sounds like you'd be all day trying to get it hard.

Dunno Too hard and it may have bent the bikes rim due to wear on the braking surface.
    Might get a few snakebites as a result. More grip in the muck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

So you were aiming for tighter grip with less pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Did you leave it in the big ring or the small ring?

Edit - sorry, I see it was a fixie

droidus wrote: »
    So you were aiming for tighter grip with less pressure?

His track nuts were seized onto the axle, needed to used a fairly strong penetrant to loosen them to get the wheel off.

I asked him did he have issues with the grip and slipping off on fast corners, he did so I decided he indeed did need more grip and less pressure.

• Advertisement

Did you leave it in the big ring or the small ring?

Edit - sorry, I see it was a wrinklie

FYP :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

I presume you went over his cables carefully these can get streched from the rubber on the tyres.

Also watch for excessive pedalling this can lead to blowouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I know a couple who did the naked bike ride in Lomdon.

He thought the craic was brilliant
    but she said it was just a load of b0llocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkdave

There is a good reason why serious cyclists should get behind this worldwide movement.
    These rides started in 2001 when a worse than usual number of cyclists were killed or injured in Zaragoza, Spain. As a way to celebrate their lives, and to protest against the carnage suffered by cyclists on the roads, several hundred cyclists took to the streets in a two hour cycle, many of them naked or semi-naked. The idea of going naked was to emphasise how vulnerable we all are against cars and lorries. The nudity also guaranteed media attention. Since 2001, two other issues have become associated with the World Naked Bike Ride as it became known, or WNBR for short.
    The first of these was a protest against worldwide dependence on fossil fuels, and against car culture generally. The second was a celebration of the power and individuality of the human body.
    But it is mainly about the rights of cyclists.
    So, if you are a serious cyclist, would you give it a go?
    If going nude is not your thing, would you consider going along as a steward?
    Or if you want to be a participant, although full nudity is encouraged, you are free to wear as much as you need to make you feel comfortable. There is also the option of covering your nakedness with bodypainting. Volunteer artists attend and paint riders for fre or a small donation.
    There are two rides taking place in Ireland this year.
    2011 Dublin ride Friday July 15th at 7pm - contact dublinnakedbike@gmail.com
    2011 Cork ride Saturday July 16th at 6pm - contact myrebelcounty@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Are helmets mandatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

corkdave wrote: »
    There is a good reason why serious cyclists should get behind this worldwide movement.
    Serious cyclists? Oh yeah, without a shadow of doubt, cyclists will be taken a whole lot more seriously after this idiocy. I’ll be keeping a close eye on the media during the following week and thoroughly look forward to reading heartfelt apologies and retractions from these bleedin' muppets.
    As a way to celebrate their lives
    Waving your knackers around in public is a curious way to "celebrate" anyone’s life, let alone someone who is deceased.

Being of sound mind, etc., I feel that I should make my wishes known at this point … should I ever be unfortunate enough to lose my life while cycling, I hereby request that Boardsies do not mourn my passing by exposing their genitalia to any members of the public. Keep your bib knickers on lads and lassies. It’s what I would have wanted (sniff!).
    The idea of going naked was to emphasise how vulnerable we all are against cars and lorries.
    Yes, I can just picture the look of concern on bystanders’ faces: "Ooooh! Look at their vulnerabilities".

From the related thread:
    8. … not to have unwanted photographers and bystanders who are not interested in the ride but only interested in the possible nudity aspect of the ride. We dont want riders to feel uncomfortable or be put off from taking part by unwanted attention.
    Makes perfect sense. Parading yourself down the street bollock naked is just the thing to do if you don’t want any attention.

Oh, erm, hang on a minute...
    The nudity also guaranteed media attention.
    So, are you a bunch of attention seekers or not?
    [It’s OK, no need to answer that one]
    ...a protest against worldwide dependence on fossil fuels, and against car culture generally.
    Groan! So it’s going to veer into IndyMedia territory too. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

Will the nudist factions of Éirígí and SWP be making an appearance as well? Maybe the Gardaí will take them on in the buff this time.

Enough already.

Advertisement