Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe Paradiso

Options
  • 23-06-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

My bf and I are heading down to Cork on sat for a week and celebrating our anniversary while we're down there (yippee:D!) and since we're both veggie we were going to book Cafe Paradiso for that night, I just wanted to check what people thought of it and was it worth the mons?

It seems very expensive although we don't mind the money part, just want to make sure it's money well spent!:)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It is highly rated by both vegetarians and meat eaters.
    Haven't been there for years myself but if paying a lot for good food isn't a problem then I'd say go for it to see what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ah-maze-balls. Prob the one of the best (if not the best) restaurants in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Café Paradiso is one of the best restaurants in Ireland (if not further!). The fact that it's veggie is a huge plus.
    They do a deal with Gort Na Nain guesthouse/organic farm where you can get breakfast, dinner and an overnight in each for €330 for two people sharing. Fantastic value and HIGHLY recommended.

I must do that myself in the next few weeks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Cafe Paradiso is not 100% vegetarian.

I have been talking with Sweet Rasmus about this and one of us will be posting something in the next few days.

Sorry, it's late at night here and I can't post right now but will in the next few days.

It's not fully vegetarian, that's all I'll say for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Ah thanks all, sounds fab, can't wait!

Will tell you what we thought of it once we're back!:D

It'll be nice to have a full menu to choose from for once rather than the couple of dishes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

kraggy wrote: »
    Cafe Paradiso is not 100% vegetarian.

I have been talking with Sweet Rasmus about this and one of us will be posting something in the next few days.

Sorry, it's late at night here and I can't post right now but will in the next few days.

It's not fully vegetarian, that's all I'll say for now.

Unless you're going to follow up that statement you should delete it.

I've been there a few times and it's my favourite restaurant in Ireland, superb food well worth the price. Any wine recommendations I've had from the staff have always been spot on too.

I agree thats an ominous post, I'd like to know exactly what the poster is referring to?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Me too!

Unless you're going to follow up that statement you should delete it.

Seconded. Or the Mods should.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Please follow up on the post or it shall be deleted soon Kraggy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am in PM discussion about this with the other moderator, it will be cleared up soon and I shall address what Kraggy has said. Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

kraggy raised this issue with me when he found out (on his last visit to the restaurant) that one of the desserts served by Cafe Paradiso is not suitable for vegetarians. It contains an ice-cream made using a non-vegetarian beer (Beamish). The staff confirmed that it was indeed not suitable for vegetarians while kraggy was in the restaurant. Later, by phone, the owner Denis Cotter also confirmed that this dish contains isinglass.

This dish is not highlighted as not being suitable for vegetarians on the menu and the staff seem to be aware of it. I find it very disappointing and have to wonder what else they are not telling us.

Edit: you can see the dessert in question listed on their menu online.

Ok folks, first of all, very busy at the moment with a new job in a new country so only getting around to replying to this now.

So here goes...

Last December 30th, my girlfriend and I went for dinner in Cafe Paradiso in Cork. I being vegetarian for 17 years had heard a lot about this particular restaurant and everything that had been said about it was positive. So, it was something my girlfriend and I had been looking foward to.

Now, being vegetarian for the last 17 years, I have encountered my fair share of establishments that list items on their menus that they claim to be vegetarian but are not, for example, a pasta dish with parmesan cheese. So, when we were looking through the menu, I noticed that many of the main courses contained cheese. Thus, I made a point of asking the lady who served us if they were suitable for vegetarians. Before I could even ask the question properly, I was decisively told that everything on the menu was absolutely fine for strict vegetarians. I smiled and thought to myself "this is one of the few places where they actually go by the same definition of the term vegetarian as all other places should do i.e. truly vegetarian means not eating anything from an animal that died before the food was produced. And so, we ordered our starter and main course and subsequently ate them.

As the meal progressed and we were looking towards dessert, I noticed that one of the deserts contained Beamish Stout. Just weeks before, I had rang Beamish & Crawford to enquire as to whether or not their stout product was suitable for vegetarians. They informed me that, just like Murphy's, Guinness and O'Hara's, they use isinglass. This, as most of you are aware, comes from the swim bladder of various species fish. I did not want to say anything during dessert but on the way out, I did bring it up with the lady who served us. She replied with a laugh as were were leaving "you're the first person in 3 years to spot that, we thought we had got away with it".

So, we left, disgusted and baffled. How could this restaurant with such a reputation think it's ok to have a dessert containing Beamish Stout on its menu?

I rang the restaurant a couple of weeks later and the owner wasn't there. In fairness, he did try to ring me back a couple of times but I was unable to take his call. After another couple of attempts to contact him but to no avail, he rang me back in April. And these were the main points from the conversation:

1. When I mentioned that I was surprised with the inclusion of Beamish Stout on the menu, and that I didn't expect it from a restaurant which claims to vegetarian, he interupted me and said that they don't claim to be vegetarian. Their website states that they are a vegetarian website.

2. We nevertheless then proceeded to discuss the definition of "vegetarian" and he said that there are "about 2000 definitions of the word vegetarian" and that he doesn't go by the vegetarian society definition.

3. He said that Beamish is vegetarian enough for him. Even though it contains isinglass.

4. The crux of this issue is, if he deems his product to be vegetarian, what exactly did his employee think they were getting away with?

5. I also asked, how can we believe that his cheeses are suitable for vegetarians if he considers Beamish to be vegetarian. He said that vegetarian rennet is used in their production.

6. He laughed when I said that I would be relaying this information to internet forums for vegetarians.

7. He laughed when I said that I would be contacting the Vegetarian Society about it.

All of the above is factually correct. I have a witness to both the events and the phone call.

Again, sorry for the delay in getting back about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

hmm...

Yes this is one of those crises of conscience that should be addressed by Cafe Paradiso - its not acceptable to be flippant about what does and doesn't constitute vegetarian - either it is or it isn't. There are plenty of very nice (in fact lovely) vegetarian stouts out there (Youngs for example) and they should be substituted or the dish replaced - funnily enough when we made the point that parmesan cheese was not vegetarian to the owners of the Gort-na-Nain guesthouse as mentioned above, parmesan disappeared off the Paradiso menu, so perhaps all the owner needs is some positive enlightenment - I'd rather go to the place than not have anywhere to go

That's certainly worth knowing, I can't recall now if that was still on the menu when we went and it's certainly a point worth addressing.

I have to say my boyfriend and I went there on our anniversary and had an amazing dinner, the staff were brilliant and attentative and the food was exquisite. I'd happily recommend it to anyone although certainly we both took it that everything is vegetarian without question and they should really be clear if certain ingredients aren't...luckily neither of us would touch stout so we're ok!:D

We had a fabulous night though, if they can clear up any small matters like that which are upsetting for any veggie if they didn't realise what they were eating the restaurant will be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I wonder if Dennis Cotter is vegetarian himself? It's a pity to hear this, as it is nice to be able to go out and eat at a restaurant in full comfort that the food you receive is Vegetarian - including all manner of ingredients like gelatine, isinglass or other fish derivatives. I would not want to sit down thinking 'Is this vegetarian enough?

Rasmus wrote: »
    I wonder if Dennis Cotter is vegetarian himself? It's a pity to hear this, as it is nice to be able to go out and eat at a restaurant in full comfort that the food you receive is Vegetarian - including all manner of ingredients like gelatine, isinglass or other fish derivatives. I would not want to sit down thinking 'Is this vegetarian enough?

well none of his recipe books include any of those ingredients. from reading his books he's vegetarian no idea how strict he is. you have to remember also that I would think at the very least a third of his clientele are not vegetarian, just fans of great cooking.

i regard myself as vegetarian, i do slip occasionally (very rarely in 24 years) and I don't concern myself with whether beers have isinglass in them or not. I wouldn't have concerns regarding the rest of the menu, i would think that they just didn't check whether Beamish is vegetarian or not.

I'd hate to think this one episode would stop people from eating there as it really is an amazing place, I really wish we had a Paradiso in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I wouldn't have concerns regarding the rest of the menu, i would think that they just didn't check whether Beamish is vegetarian or not.
    The thing is that they know it's not vegetarian and sell it anyway. The staff confirmed such knowledge, I'm told.

Ok but for me and many other vegetarians i'm sure it's a small point, for more fundamentalist veggies it will be a sticking point. It is 1 ingredient out of 100's he uses there.

and indeed, for many vegetarians it is indeed vegetarian, none of it is in the final product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

and indeed, for many vegetarians it is indeed vegetarian, none of it is in the final product.

Yeah but...I'd be a bit uneasy about it, just because they didn't seem to think it was anything people would want/need to know about. Like if isinglass isn't a big deal then how could you trust them about rennet or gelatine, or any of the other things you wouldn't necessarily notice. If it was a case where they even had a little mark beside the item on the menu or something that mentioned the isinglass it would be one thing, but to claim to be a completely vegetarian restaurant and then play it fast and loose with the definition and try and sneak stuff past people is another thing altogether.

It's not going to stop me going there (lack of money manages to do that just fine on its own :p) but if I am there in future I'll be looking closely at the menu before I order, just in case. Which is annoying, because the thing I like best about vegetarian restaurants is NOT having to scan all the ingredients and just ordering what looks appealing. That said, the one time I was at Café Paradiso it was honestly one of the best meals of my life, the staff were lovely, the whole place was lovely! I was there with my family, none of whom are vegetarian (though they wouldn't eat looooads of meat) and they were all more than happy as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

She replied with a laugh as were were leaving "you're the first person in 3 years to spot that, we thought we had got away with it".

This part is the part that disturbs me slightly...

the lady can just laugh like that, because they thought they had got away with it? If they can laugh away one item like that, can we really be sure that everything they prepare and sell is ok for vegetarian consumption?

I will be looking even closer at menus everywhere more than normal from now on, just incase. The paranoia is rising for me, but I wont take chances.

Not necessarily true Tar.

I've spoken to Guinness and Beamsish and both have said that they can never guarantee that the isinglass has been fully removed.

Besides, if one is vegetarian for ethical reasons, it's irrelevant as to whether or not it's in the final product. Isinglass comes from a dead animal.

kraggy wrote: »
    Besides, if one is vegetarian for ethical reasons, it's irrelevant as to whether or not it's in the final product. Isinglass comes from a dead animal.

It's really not a good idea to decide what other people's ethics are. I've been a vegetarian for 30+ years and yet my shoes and belt are leather but I couldn't/wouldn't wear a leather jacket. I drink Guinness sometimes and wine a lot. I avoid gelatin and rennet yet sometimes will use Parmesan with no guilt whatsoever. My point is that we all draw the line somewhere but we draw our own.

Denis Cotter is vegetarian and a hugely positive figure in vegetarian Ireland. It is a bit much that he knowing decides isinglass is ok but when he says there's many levels of vegetarianism he's right. Somewhat tactless, inconsiderate and disingenuous maybe but not inaccurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Denis Cotter is vegetarian and a hugely positive figure in vegetarian Ireland. It is a bit much that he knowing decides isinglass is ok but when he says there's many levels of vegetarianism he's right. Somewhat tactless, inconsiderate and disingenuous maybe but not inaccurate.

I agree with that, and I wouldn't lose too much sleep over isinglass (like if there's a product with isinglass and one without I'll choose the one without, and I don't drink Guinness or Beamish or anything like that because it's likely to have it, but if I don't know for sure if something has it I won't refuse to drink it). And there are degrees of how people define their own vegetarianism and I don't think there's anything too wrong with that, and yes some people aren't vegetarian for ethical reasons, but if a place is making a big song and dance about being vegetarian they should cater to the strictest definition. It's not the isinglass that's worrying me, it's the attitude.

It's not the isinglass that's worrying me, it's the attitude.
    I've always thought Denis had a bit of a surly nature. Not exatly the type to come out and charm the diners. I'm still planning on visiting again in the near future but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I have to agree with Kraggy about Cafe Paradiso. I always thought of them as very vegetarian friendly rather than totally strict. I have doubted if all the cheese and wine they use are suitable for vegetarians.

One of their current options on their website menu mentions "roast aubergine parcels of black kale, almonds & Coolea cheese with warm cherry tomato-caper salsa, crushed purple potatoes and green beans with marjoram €24" and according to www.cooleacheese.com website Coolea is made with "natural rennet (an enzyme from the stomach of a calf)".

Weyhey wrote: »
    I have to agree with Kraggy about Cafe Paradiso. I always thought of them as very vegetarian friendly rather than totally strict. I have doubted if all the cheese and wine they use are suitable for vegetarians.

One of their current options on their website menu mentions "roast aubergine parcels of black kale, almonds & Coolea cheese with warm cherry tomato-caper salsa, crushed purple potatoes and green beans with marjoram €24" and according to www.cooleacheese.com website Coolea is made with "natural rennet (an enzyme from the stomach of a calf)".

That's more it now.

The night I was there, I was almost interupted when I asked if the cheese they use was ok for vegetarians. The waitress couldn't get the words out quick enough to say that "all our cheese is absolutely fine for vegetarians".

Advertisement