Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM UCC

Options
  • 13-06-2011 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I haven't heard very many people on this forum mention UCC grad med. So I'm just a bit curious if there are either people who are seriously considering UCC GEM in September or anyone who's already in the program for the last few years that could enlighten those of us who are interested. We've seen quite a bit of interesting talk about UL vs RCSI or UCD vs RCSI. Any similar analogies regarding UCC vs others? Also I'm wondering if about the accommodation scene in Cork? All posts very welcome......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kapow

Hi drSpock,

UCC is my first choice for GEM. I'm sitting on a score 60 at the moment so hoping that it does the trick.

I think that I will prefer the mixture of PBL combined with didactic lectures as opposed to the pure PBL approach used in UL. I also like the fact that the UCC GEM students are highly integrated with the 4th year undergraduate med students upon entering 3rd year GEM.

Accommodation is pretty reasonable price-wise in the area if you choose to stay in a house, but living in student accommodation is a different story altogether. Rent is probably the same as around UL, and therefore cheaper than around UCD/RCSI.

With 65 I'm sure that you can have your pick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Hi there kapow, yeah also fancy a nice balanced mix between lectures and PBL, which iv heard is good in UCC, would be really cool to see how a second or third year UCC GEM student has found their training so far?

Also one of the temptations for heading to RCSI is that since it's dedicated to medicine they don't treat you with the disdain some colleges dish out to "students" of all kinds. I met with one of the clinical teachers in cork who was fantastic, informative and a real gentleman. So was very impressed on first contact.

I have lived in cork before so I have an idea of accommodation, there are a lot of dives in cork, some of which I have called home, so hoping for something nicer this time around. I reckon doing medicine, if I can afford it accommodation will be crucially important. I hear some med students and interns live in the nicer postgrad places. I imagine a lot of GEM people will want a cheap place to stay, with loans and that?

One question I would like to answer this week is what is the final number on fees? RCSI and UCD sound like their fees are skyrocketing, on account of HEA cutbacks. Might make some calls.

Congrats on the 60 kapow hopefully we will both get a spot. Do you know cork? Any idea what accommodation you would like?
    kapow wrote: »
    Hi drSpock,

UCC is my first choice for GEM. I'm sitting on a score 60 at the moment so hoping that it does the trick.

I think that I will prefer the mixture of PBL combined with didactic lectures as opposed to the pure PBL approach used in UL. I also like the fact that the UCC GEM students are highly integrated with the 4th year undergraduate med students upon entering 3rd year GEM.

Accommodation is pretty reasonable price-wise in the area if you choose to stay in a house, but living in student accommodation is a different story altogether. Rent is probably the same as around UL, and therefore cheaper than around UCD/RCSI.

With 65 I'm sure that you can have your pick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Im seriously considering changing from having UL as my first choice to UCC. It would be really helpful if someone could answer the questions above. I was talking to a Doc during the week and some of the points he made were.

UCC is better established and has better contacts / reputation
    Im interested in trauma and Universit hospital is the only level 1 trauma unit in the country - it ma be hard to get the foot in the door if you didnt go to college in cork (i.e. politics is very big in cork)
    smaller class will mean you cant hide (his words not mine)

In saying all this Im only sitting on a 59 so cork may be out of reach but I think I will change anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

bubbleking wrote: »
    Im seriously considering changing from having UL as my first choice to UCC. It would be really helpful if someone could answer the questions above. I was talking to a Doc during the week and some of the points he made were.

Im interested in trauma and Universit hospital is the only level 1 trauma unit in the country - it ma be hard to get the foot in the door if you didnt go to college in cork (i.e. politics is very big in cork)

In saying all this Im only sitting on a 59 so cork may be out of reach but I think I will change anyway

To be perfectly frank, there's no such thing as politics when it comes to where you did your under-graduate degree. It really doesn't matter one bit, although I know in CUH, like many other hospitals, the reputation of the UL students precedes them ;)

Also, with the new allocation system for interns one is no longer restricted to the hospitals traditionally associated with whatever medical school they attended. For example, if I came out of UCD I could apply to the likes of Mid-Western Hospital in Limerick for med/surgical internships. Even though UCD students traditionally were associated with St. Vincents. The foot in the door system is non-existent, and anyhow it's not like a lowly undergrad is ever gonna be paid much attention.

So I wouldn't let the issue of politics or geographical location colour your opinion/decision-making. Best of luck with it either way!

But seriously, UL FOR THE WIN!

Hi there bubbleking,

Interesting what you've heard about how ucc class size can influence things, since it is the smallest group there's bound to be few places to hide but must be good for GEM lectures and tutorials? But two of my family just graduated and are starting interns, by the sound of it there was very little politics, if you get on well you simply have a better chance!

As for getting in, there are a lot of people on boards who believe the cut offs will either drop or stay the same, personally I don't know what to expect, but as far as facilities and resources, UCC is number one in my book! I reckon you have a great chance, and as far as I gather if the cut offs (GOD FORBID) jump you will be well placed for your second choice of UL

• Advertisement

Ok I made the big decision thos morning and changed to UCC (now all I have to do is hope my 59 gets me in :rolleyes:)

Just on one point - I seen the Ulster Bank loan for UCC isnt great - does anybody have any experience getting a better loan from AIB or BOI? If I get into cork would it be cheeky to apply to the UL AIB to avail of their offer? they are the one bank after all :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Ok I made the big decision thos morning and changed to UCC (now all I have to do is hope my 59 gets me in :rolleyes:)

Just on one point - I seen the Ulster Bank loan for UCC isnt great - does anybody have any experience getting a better loan from AIB or BOI? If I get into cork would it be cheeky to apply to the UL AIB to avail of their offer? they are the one bank after all :confused:

Howdy bubbleking, there's an AIB student bank for UCC just outside the back of campus. You'll be able to get a loan through them if that suits you.

I just finished up GEM Year #1 @ UCC. Great place, fantastic facilities and some top notch teaching. Also, you'll be lumped in with quite a bunch of North Americans. Our class (50 people) is about 50% Irish, 40% Canadian and 10% US. Great bunch of lads, and paying far more for their education that you or me so it'll make you feel substantially less guilty for getting that fat loan.

Coursewise? I'm not sure how much you guys already know about the programme but I'll just sum up each term by modules.

GEM UCC consists of 5 modules.
    • GM1001 [20] - Fundamentals of Medicine 1 (Biochem, Physiology, Anatomy, Pharmacology & Pathology)
    • GM1002 [20] - Fundamentals of Medicine 2 (Physiology, Anatomy, Pharmacology & Pathology)
    • GM1003 [15] - Fundamentals of Medicine 3 (Biochem, Physiology, Anatomy, Pharmacology & Pathology)
    • GM1004 [10] - Clinical Skills
    • GM1005 [10] - Epidemiology

Each module requires a 50% pass mark. In GM1001,GM1002,GM1003 you'll need at least 40% in the individual sciences, with a 50% average. Orals will be held 2 weeks after your final exams if you're borderline.

Terms 1-3 will also include 2 classes each week of 'small group learning' - SGL classes where you'll be given a case history, you'll examine in and from it identify problems/definitions & areas of study. With the direction of one of your lecturers you'll be expected to present a topic to your group each week.

eg. You might get a case on gallstones, you'll examine the case in a group of about 9 and pick 9 topics of self study. Yours might be 'physiology - bile', so you'll be expected to explain this to the group on Thursday / Friday.

It's basically just a way of reinforcing what you've learned in class. It's quite intimidating at first, especially for those from a non-science background but it soon becomes second nature. It allows you to focus on areas perhaps not covered completely in signposts.

Term 1 - 15 weeks
    Term 1 includes GM1001, GM1004 & GM1005

This term started quite early for us, the 23rd of August. All subjects start at an introductory level but material is ramped up quite quickly. You'll be asked to pick a class rep pretty much day #1. If it's still the same next year you'll be taking a trip up to CUH most weeks to do Pathology tutorials. This will annoy you.

Physiology labs & Anatomy DR time should be both based out of the Western Gateway Building by next year. It's facilities are top class. Anatomy is in the process of making the move over, hoping to have it complete by September.

All subjects will have end of module exams at Christmas on Week 17.

(You'll then have 3 weeks off. - Probably the last break you'll have to enjoy before summer so make plans and do something fun.)

Term 2 - 13 weeks
    Term 2 includes GM1002, GM1004 & GM1005

This term you'll be having your OSCE so it's time to go buy a stethoscope if you haven't already. Sciences will be on Resp, Cardio & GU. For epidemiology you'll have to present a review of an assigned paper to your class.

Only GM1002 will have an end of module exam, GM1004 will be continuous assessment marks from the OSCE and GM1005 will be continuous assessment marks from the presentation.

OSCE & GM1002 exam will be on Week 14

Term 3 - 8 weeks
    Term 3 includes GM1003, GM1004 & GM1005

This term is probably the toughest. The sciences will be GI, Hormones & Chemo drugs.

Continuous assessment for GM1004 & GM1005 will include a written up case history for a patient you will have met in the hospital, and for GM1005 you'll be expected to complete a research proposal. Get these in as early as possible is my advice.

GM1003 will be examined with an end of module exam on Week 9.

Week 10 is the fun part! All modules will be re-examined for end of year assessment and will be worth 50% of each module. I just finished up yesterday and I can honestly say June was hell on earth. Start reviewing Terms 1 & 2 as early as possible. It'll be tough because you'll be trying to focus on Term 3's material right up until the end.

Accommodation
    Most people got their accommodation pretty last minute. I know of people living in student accomdation next to the Brookfield HSC in Brookfield Village. Others found their places with Daft. If in doubt use UCCs website.

Your North Americans will probably still be getting ripped off, and still living at Sheare's Gate.

To be honest I'm not much help in the getting of accommodation area of things as I'm from Cork anyway. I just use Daft really. If it's any marker I share with my girlfriend and we may €650/month for a nice 1 bedroom place in the city centre.

In conclusion....

Best of luck wherever you guys end up next year! Wherever it is you'll definitely make the most of it. At UCC you'll get a really great education, and a really great culture experience being taught with all the North Americans. They're fantastic people and are really on the ball with regards to career prospects so if any of you guys are interested in working abroad after you're education they'll have some great tips.

Other than that.... any questions just shoot, I kind of just did a stream of conciousness into this post so it may or may not have made sense and I probably left loads of stuff out that you're interested about. So apologies, I'm a bit frazzled from the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Tazzle wrote: »
    I just finished up GEM Year #1 @ UCC. Great place, fantastic facilities and some top notch teaching. Also, you'll be lumped in with quite a bunch of North Americans. Our class (50 people) is about 50% Irish, 40% Canadian and 10% US. Great bunch of lads, and paying far more for their education that you or me so it'll make you feel substantially less guilty for getting that fat loan.
    I heard UL has special classes for people taking the USMLEs in second year etc, is there anything similar in place for americans in UCC? i'm not sure if you're planning on taking them, but have you had any views expressed from canadians and americans about USMLE step one or the canadian equivalent? (forgot what thats called) with regards to if they feel they are prepared for it?

P.S on a side note, didnt you play CS with Wink? and dont you have a 2 digit steam I.D? :O! (thats if you are who I think you are)

Hi tazzle,

On a personal note I would like to thank you for adding such a useful and comprehensive post, by far the best i've seen in a long while!

Those modules sound great and I bet it's hit the ground running from early on. One thing strikes me though, why 4:1 Canadians to US? Eh?

One thing I'm curious about though is clinical work, does that also come very early on? And are you personally expecting much of a jump from 1st to 2nd year?

Anyway thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions and congrats on completing your first year, hopefully will bump into you down in cork!

Howdy bubbleking, there's an AIB student bank for UCC just outside the back of campus. You'll be able to get a loan through them if that suits you.

Coursewise? I'm not sure how much you guys already know about the programme but I'll just sum up each term by modules.

GEM UCC consists of 5 modules.
    • GM1001 [20] - Fundamentals of Medicine 1 (Biochem, Physiology, Anatomy, Pharmacology & Pathology)
    • GM1002 [20] - Fundamentals of Medicine 2 (Physiology, Anatomy, Pharmacology & Pathology)
    • GM1003 [15] - Fundamentals of Medicine 3 (Biochem, Physiology, Anatomy, Pharmacology & Pathology)
    • GM1004 [10] - Clinical Skills
    • GM1005 [10] - Epidemiology

Each module requires a 50% pass mark. In GM1001,GM1002,GM1003 you'll need at least 40% in the individual sciences, with a 50% average. Orals will be held 2 weeks after your final exams if you're borderline.

Terms 1-3 will also include 2 classes each week of 'small group learning' - SGL classes where you'll be given a case history, you'll examine in and from it identify problems/definitions & areas of study. With the direction of one of your lecturers you'll be expected to present a topic to your group each week.

eg. You might get a case on gallstones, you'll examine the case in a group of about 9 and pick 9 topics of self study. Yours might be 'physiology - bile', so you'll be expected to explain this to the group on Thursday / Friday.

It's basically just a way of reinforcing what you've learned in class. It's quite intimidating at first, especially for those from a non-science background but it soon becomes second nature. It allows you to focus on areas perhaps not covered completely in signposts.

Term 1 - 15 weeks
    Term 1 includes GM1001, GM1004 & GM1005

This term started quite early for us, the 23rd of August. All subjects start at an introductory level but material is ramped up quite quickly. You'll be asked to pick a class rep pretty much day #1. If it's still the same next year you'll be taking a trip up to CUH most weeks to do Pathology tutorials. This will annoy you.

Physiology labs & Anatomy DR time should be both based out of the Western Gateway Building by next year. It's facilities are top class. Anatomy is in the process of making the move over, hoping to have it complete by September.

All subjects will have end of module exams at Christmas on Week 17.

(You'll then have 3 weeks off. - Probably the last break you'll have to enjoy before summer so make plans and do something fun.)

Term 2 - 13 weeks
    Term 2 includes GM1002, GM1004 & GM1005

This term you'll be having your OSCE so it's time to go buy a stethoscope if you haven't already. Sciences will be on Resp, Cardio & GU. For epidemiology you'll have to present a review of an assigned paper to your class.

Only GM1002 will have an end of module exam, GM1004 will be continuous assessment marks from the OSCE and GM1005 will be continuous assessment marks from the presentation.

OSCE & GM1002 exam will be on Week 14

Term 3 - 8 weeks
    Term 3 includes GM1003, GM1004 & GM1005

This term is probably the toughest. The sciences will be GI, Hormones & Chemo drugs.

Continuous assessment for GM1004 & GM1005 will include a written up case history for a patient you will have met in the hospital, and for GM1005 you'll be expected to complete a research proposal. Get these in as early as possible is my advice.

GM1003 will be examined with an end of module exam on Week 9.

Week 10 is the fun part! All modules will be re-examined for end of year assessment and will be worth 50% of each module. I just finished up yesterday and I can honestly say June was hell on earth. Start reviewing Terms 1 & 2 as early as possible. It'll be tough because you'll be trying to focus on Term 3's material right up until the end.

Accommodation
    Most people got their accommodation pretty last minute. I know of people living in student accomdation next to the Brookfield HSC in Brookfield Village. Others found their places with Daft. If in doubt use UCCs website.

Your North Americans will probably still be getting ripped off, and still living at Sheare's Gate.

To be honest I'm not much help in the getting of accommodation area of things as I'm from Cork anyway. I just use Daft really. If it's any marker I share with my girlfriend and we may €650/month for a nice 1 bedroom place in the city centre.

In conclusion....

Best of luck wherever you guys end up next year! Wherever it is you'll definitely make the most of it. At UCC you'll get a really great education, and a really great culture experience being taught with all the North Americans. They're fantastic people and are really on the ball with regards to career prospects so if any of you guys are interested in working abroad after you're education they'll have some great tips.

Other than that.... any questions just shoot, I kind of just did a stream of conciousness into this post so it may or may not have made sense and I probably left loads of stuff out that you're interested about. So apologies, I'm a bit frazzled from the last few weeks.

I heard UL has special classes for people taking the USMLEs in second year etc, is there anything similar in place for americans in UCC? i'm not sure if you're planning on taking them, but have you had any views expressed from canadians and americans about USMLE step one or the canadian equivalent? (forgot what thats called) with regards to if they feel they are prepared for it?

P.S on a side note, didnt you play CS with Wink? and dont you have a 2 digit steam I.D? :O! (thats if you are who I think you are)

Wow, that steamid has a lot to answer for. Yup, that's me.

I'm not sure what the state of play is with regards to extra classes for the USMLEs. I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. UCC are very conscious of the need to keep the North American's happy USMLEwise (money money money money), so a lot of the way exam material is presented is USMLE oriented.

From what I understand the North American's start studying January of 2nd year for them, taking them after the summer exams. I think for areas like pathology & biochemistry you won't have covered enough in lectures so it's going to be on you to get up to speed for those, though realistically pretty much all subjects will need lots of self study.

I personally haven't decided what to do USMLEwise, it's a pretty big commitment.
    Hi tazzle,

On a personal note I would like to thank you for adding such a useful and comprehensive post, by far the best i've seen in a long while!

Those modules sound great and I bet it's hit the ground running from early on. One thing strikes me though, why 4:1 Canadians to US? Eh?

One thing I'm curious about though is clinical work, does that also come very early on? And are you personally expecting much of a jump from 1st to 2nd year?

Anyway thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions and congrats on completing your first year, hopefully will bump into you down in cork!

No problemo, spotted your post earlier but didn't get a chance to respond to it until after exams.

Why so many Canadians? Canadian's have an awful time getting into med school in Canada. Demand is just too high so an awful lot of them have to study abroad. They wouldn't be here if they didn't have to be. It's ridiculously expensive for them.

From what I've gathered our year was the first year that the clinical module was properly organised and run. Dr. Joy handles GM1004 and she is absolutely fantastic, A1. Learn to love her.

First term clinical for us was lots of Ethics & Law. Lots of Dr. Doran, an interesting character. GM1004 employs students as role players so you'll learn in term 1 how to take a history with them. You'll learn some basic upper and lower limb first aid too.

Clinical won't really start for you until term 2 when you'll be working toward the OSCE. That's when you need you'll need a steth, though they'll be provided if you still don't have one. Last year our class rep got a deal through a Littmann rep.

January began first for us with a first aid course, then we worked through BP, CVS exam, Resp exam, History taking for GU, CVS & Resp.. Tally & O'Connor will be your bible.

In term 3 (end of March/start of April) we took a trip to St. Finbarrs hospital to take histories in the hospital setting with real patients. A write up of a case history from here is part of your continuous assessment. In term 3 we were also assigned a local GP who organised for us to go out in groups of 2 to a patient living with a chronic illness in the community, to give us insight into how they cope, how they live, etc. Fantastic experience. You were expected to write a reflective essay on that too.

• Advertisement

I was informed yesterday that 2011's intake will be 70 students for the UCC GEM programme. I don't know if the Irish intake has gone up or not? So anything I've said is definitely subject to change. An extra 20 students is going to be a timetabling nightmare.

PPS.
    If any of you guys want a copy of the timetable shoot me a PM with your email.

cheers Tazzle thats great I would love to see the timetable if that's ok?

why would an extra 20 students make it more difficult to timetable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Managed to organise a very last-minute meeting with the first year GEM co-ordinator in UCC today who was really helpful and friendly. Got the impression that they really care about their students. They also seem to take students' opinions seriously and take on any suggestions/complaints about the course. Very unlike the approach taken with most other undergrad courses. But that might have just been my experience.

Also, facilities are A1. Very similar teaching methods to UCDs GEM programme. Conveniently, unlike previous years term is starting this year on 1st sept (induction) and classes start on 5th sept to accommodate for people handing their notice in when quitting jobs, finishing placements etc. The standard of the GEM students seems to be pretty high-I was told that when the GEM students were merged with LC entry students, the best 10-15 grades in year 3 were obtained by GEM students- so the course is producing some great results. Wupppa!

In general UCD & UCC seem to be fairly evenly matched with regards to the mixed teaching approaches (leaning towards didactic) and teaching facilities. Smaller class sizes in UCC could be a clincher. And then there are the other obviously less important factors-free gym in UCC! No free gym in UCD. Reputed great social scene in UCC...... UCD-as good? Charming UCC campus versus hugely impersonal UCD campus......

So back to that old chestnut-the question I have been unable to answer since the results came out-UCD or UCC? UCC has some hold on me that I can't quite pin-point..... But UCD is closer to home. Less of a commute home at the weekends & I did my undergrad there so know it like the back of my hand. But at this stage im kinda open to change.....

Somebody fill out my change of mind form please and put me out of my agony. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

And then there are the other obviously less important factors-free gym in UCC! No free gym in UCD.

just to throw this in the New Student Centre in UCD will be free for all students. http://www.ucd.ie/studentcentre/sc2/
    Sorry i know the decision making is a real pain in the ars€.
    I'm the same way.

I'm looking forward to Saturday when the change of mind is done with. I've looked into all the colleges and I think regardless of where we go we'll have a blast and get a great degree and we'll all have the same opportunities when we finish, I just can't wait to start.

Now to plan my one last hurrah of a holiday in August!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

just to throw this in the New Student Centre in UCD will be free for all students. http://www.ucd.ie/studentcentre/sc2/

Hey pollypigwash, thanks for that. Was looking at the website for the new student centre 2, looks pretty impressive. Is it deffo free to us? If so that would be great. Well considering most of my registration fees went towards it for 4 years I probably own a few pieces of equipment in the gym by now! :) Will the new student centre 2 be open this september?
    Now to plan my one last hurrah of a holiday in August!
    In the process of doing this too, keep getting told that free time will be a luxury everytime I speak to someone from the GEM programme! We'd better enjoy it while we can! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

ya it says on that student centre2 website it will be free for all students, its due to open before the end of 2011 but I don't know when, which isn't ideal. its pretty much next door to the Health Sciences Building I think.

Holidays oh yeah!!!! gona have to be cheap as chups but fook it, better than no holiday.

Hi tazzle

You are a wealth of useful info! I would love to know if the increased numbers include some places for Irish students? But I hear faculties love getting american dollars? Either way I hope that's a good thing for all us newcomers!

Good luck in your exams by the way
    I was informed yesterday that 2011's intake will be 70 students for the UCC GEM programme. I don't know if the Irish intake has gone up or not? So anything I've said is definitely subject to change. An extra 20 students is going to be a timetabling nightmare.

PPS.
    If any of you guys want a copy of the timetable shoot me a PM with your email.

Hey hurdy

Great to hear such a good report. Very encouraging! I changed my first preference from RCSI to UCC the minute I saw what cork had on offer! Really got the impression they take good care of you in brookfield. The free mardyke gym and all round atmosphere of cork sealed the deal.

If what tazzle says is correct then the chances are also looking up for entry! Only thing I haven't got a definitive answer on is the bottom line for fees. Must start think about a nice place to live next. I hear the demand for and turnover of nice apartments is quite high
    Managed to organise a very last-minute meeting with the first year GEM co-ordinator in UCC today who was really helpful and friendly. Got the impression that they really care about their students. They also seem to take students' opinions seriously and take on any suggestions/complaints about the course. Very unlike the approach taken with most other undergrad courses. But that might have just been my experience.

Also, facilities are A1. Very similar teaching methods to UCDs GEM programme. Conveniently, unlike previous years term is starting this year on 1st sept (induction) and classes start on 5th sept to accommodate for people handing their notice in when quitting jobs, finishing placements etc. The standard of the GEM students seems to be pretty high-I was told that when the GEM students were merged with LC entry students, the best 10-15 grades in year 3 were obtained by GEM students- so the course is producing some great results. Wupppa!

In general UCD & UCC seem to be fairly evenly matched with regards to the mixed teaching approaches (leaning towards didactic) and teaching facilities. Smaller class sizes in UCC could be a clincher. And then there are the other obviously less important factors-free gym in UCC! No free gym in UCD. Reputed great social scene in UCC...... UCD-as good? Charming UCC campus versus hugely impersonal UCD campus......

So back to that old chestnut-the question I have been unable to answer since the results came out-UCD or UCC? UCC has some hold on me that I can't quite pin-point..... But UCD is closer to home. Less of a commute home at the weekends & I did my undergrad there so know it like the back of my hand. But at this stage im kinda open to change.....

Somebody fill out my change of mind form please and put me out of my agony. :)

Hey everyone! just want to throw this out there as cork is quite busy for accommodation over the next few weeks! If anybody is :

1. Set on graduate med UCC
    2. Interested in living somewhere nice in cork with a no BS atmosphere and an environment amenable to studying medicine

Then feel free to PM me as I'm always open to ideas. I'm hoping to rent a nice apartment with one or maybe even two others not too far from Brookfield centre (either city centre, mardyke, dennihys cross or glasheen rd). Going to Cork this week to view and investigate!

drspock wrote: »
    Hey everyone! just want to throw this out there as cork is quite busy for accommodation over the next few weeks! If anybody is :

1. Set on graduate med UCC
    2. Interested in living somewhere nice in cork with a no BS atmosphere and an environment amenable to studying medicine

Then feel free to PM me as I'm always open to ideas. I'm hoping to rent a nice apartment with one or maybe even two others not too far from Brookfield centre (either city centre, mardyke, dennihys cross or glasheen rd). Going to Cork this week to view and investigate!

hey I'd be interested in this definitely pending my acceptance - as Iv said before Im going to be cutting it pretty close with 59.

mini bio - male, 24, from meath with my original degree being Athletic therapy and training in DCU

• Advertisement

The more I hear about the USMLE's the more I think of the GAMSAT all over again. Now while I'm obviously not allergic to hard work, the prospect of ever sitting such a nasty exam again is daunting. Funnily enough I was talking with someone who is going for their membership in Psychiatry and their said they had to sit another 8 hour exam. Christ!!! Sadistic.......

That explains a lot regarding our cousins across the pond. Didn't appreciate their domestic handicap in entering medicine. Sur tis nearly as bad here haha. One thing I'm curious about though, as one or two Americans have said they were offered their places already, is why do they get offers and we don't? Can get my head around it? Two different systems perhaps?

Its really cool to hear tazzle speak about the clinical experience and insider perspective of UCC GEM, really shines some light for us prospective students. Really fulfills the purpose of setting up this thread. All the anticipation is cracking me up though, August seems like a long way off.

PS: thanks for all the PM's about accommodation everybody. If needs be in August we can set up an Accommodation thread for everybody heading to Cork.....

Wow, that steamid has a lot to answer for. Yup, that's me.

I'm not sure what the state of play is with regards to extra classes for the USMLEs. I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. UCC are very conscious of the need to keep the North American's happy USMLEwise (money money money money), so a lot of the way exam material is presented is USMLE oriented.

From what I understand the North American's start studying January of 2nd year for them, taking them after the summer exams. I think for areas like pathology & biochemistry you won't have covered enough in lectures so it's going to be on you to get up to speed for those, though realistically pretty much all subjects will need lots of self study.

I personally haven't decided what to do USMLEwise, it's a pretty big commitment.

No problemo, spotted your post earlier but didn't get a chance to respond to it until after exams.

Why so many Canadians? Canadian's have an awful time getting into med school in Canada. Demand is just too high so an awful lot of them have to study abroad. They wouldn't be here if they didn't have to be. It's ridiculously expensive for them.

From what I've gathered our year was the first year that the clinical module was properly organised and run. Dr. Joy handles GM1004 and she is absolutely fantastic, A1. Learn to love her.

First term clinical for us was lots of Ethics & Law. Lots of Dr. Doran, an interesting character. GM1004 employs students as role players so you'll learn in term 1 how to take a history with them. You'll learn some basic upper and lower limb first aid too.

Clinical won't really start for you until term 2 when you'll be working toward the OSCE. That's when you need you'll need a steth, though they'll be provided if you still don't have one. Last year our class rep got a deal through a Littmann rep.

January began first for us with a first aid course, then we worked through BP, CVS exam, Resp exam, History taking for GU, CVS & Resp.. Tally & O'Connor will be your bible.

In term 3 (end of March/start of April) we took a trip to St. Finbarrs hospital to take histories in the hospital setting with real patients. A write up of a case history from here is part of your continuous assessment. In term 3 we were also assigned a local GP who organised for us to go out in groups of 2 to a patient living with a chronic illness in the community, to give us insight into how they cope, how they live, etc. Fantastic experience. You were expected to write a reflective essay on that too.

FYI

--
    Dear Student,
    Please be advised that the Tuition Fee for your course, for the 2011-2012 Academic Year is €13,580.

This fee may be paid in two equal instalments; half when you register on-line, and the balance in January 2012.

You may pay it in one instalment, if you wish.

Regards,
    Denise Goggin, on behalf of the Fees Office.

Denise Goggin,
    Senior Executive Assistant (Acting),
    Fees Office,
    UCC.
    Tel: 021 4903932
    Email: fees@fin.ucc.ie

--

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sophievdp

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the information, it's been really helpful. :)

I was just wondering if anyone had information on loans? I found some info on the BoI loan but I was wondering if anybody managed to get loans with AIB or Ulster Bank?

I'm sitting on a GAMSAT score of 58, so it's probably going to be Limerick for me, but just in case :)

Thanks very much!

Hi Tazzle,

thanks for the update. I presume that 13,580 is the figure for us newbies as well? Cheers. Better get ready to dig deep!!! Do you know for certain when you're back to the grind this year? Aug/ Sept. I'm really hoping for sometime in early September so I can make preparations properly. August offers leave little time for big changes unfortunately
    FYI

--

--

Best Wishes and Good Luck to everybody hoping for UCC ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kapow

drspock wrote: »
    Best Wishes and Good Luck to everybody hoping for UCC ;)

Same to you drspock! Hopefully be seeing you in a months time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cailin_fanach

Congrats on getting offered UCC!!

That's one hurdle over with smile.gif I'm sure you will all have a fantastic time in Cork!

If you want to meet your North American classmates add yourselves here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/118417148251896/

It's a good place to suss out other people in your class and ask any questions to any of us current GEMs.

Advertisement