Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

wolfsbane wrote: »
    A model:
    Catastrophic Plate Tectonics: A Global Flood Model of Earth History
    by Independent researchers Steven Austin, ICR, John Baumgardner, Los Alamos National Laboratory, D. Russell Humphreys, Sandia National Laboratories; Andrew Snelling, Answers in Genesis (USA); Larry Vardiman, ICR; Kurt Wise, Truett-McConnell CollegeOctober 27, 2010

http://http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/aid/v5/n1/catastrophic-plate-tectonics

Some detailed research:
    Conflicting ‘ages’ of Tertiary basalt and contained fossilised wood, Crinum, Central Queensland, Australia
    Andrew A. Snelling

http://http://creation.com/images/pdfs/tj/tj_v14n2_crinum.pdf

The sites and links can be followed to other research.
    *****************************************************************************
    2 Peter 3:5 For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, 6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water.

How interested are you in why neither of those are scientific models? Cause if I go t the trouble of explaining and you just ignore the answer I'll be some what annoyed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭himnextdoor

Since Creationism holds to all of actual science, as distinct from materialist interpretations of it, what extra insight could the military or industry hope to gain from creationist as opposed to main-stream scientists? What value would an understanding of catastrophic global flood geology bring to them - are they planning to cause another, or avert one?

Knowledge that there was one would encourage to attempt to harness and exploit the power of God.

I mean, what kind of person would do that?
    As to the establishment's reasons for rejecting creationism, an innate hatred of God prevents them from being open to anything that would give Him credence.

Is that the same establishment that sponsors Catholic schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

himnextdoor said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    Since Creationism holds to all of actual science, as distinct from materialist interpretations of it, what extra insight could the military or industry hope to gain from creationist as opposed to main-stream scientists? What value would an understanding of catastrophic global flood geology bring to them - are they planning to cause another, or avert one?

Knowledge that there was one would encourage to attempt to harness and exploit the power of God.

I mean, what kind of person would do that?
    Only in Hollywood would one think oneself able to manipulate the God of the Bible. Common sense informs one that such a Being has His own plans, and burning one's arrogant ass in hell is the likely outcome of such an approach.
    Quote:
    As to the establishment's reasons for rejecting creationism, an innate hatred of God prevents them from being open to anything that would give Him credence.

Is that the same establishment that sponsors Catholic schools?
    I was not aware the scientific establishment sponsored Catholic schools.

2 Peter 3:5 For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, 6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water.

himnextdoor said:
    Did not dead bodies bloat and float at the time of the flood? And wood?

Surely a global flood would have ensured that there was almost no fossil record at all; floating objects would be the last to hit the ground as the waters receded. The heavier deposits would already be down.
    A global flood is not a gentle drowning. It is a prolonged catastrophic deluge - mudslides would do great damage; bodies not buried in mudslides would sink in a few days, to be covered by the deposition of flood sediments. The deluge lasted 40 days. The water covered the earth for over a year.
    And there would probably be no oil too; how could wood end up underneath heavy sediment which would have settled weeks before the waters had receded?
    Forests can be drowned in situ, as well as snapping of and floating. Covered in mudslides or massive sediment.
    Also, why don't we find kangaroo fossils in Wales? Indigenous animals would have been distributed far and wide and away from their original habitats.
    Indeed. We don't find all animal fossils everywhere, for we don't find many fossils relative to the number that existed. Maybe we will find a fossil kangaroo in Wales - when we find a fossil lion in Israel. We know the latter existed, in recorded history - but no fossils of it.
    It seems to me that the existence of a fairly extensive fossil record is evidence that there was no great flood at all.
    Seems to me an extensive fossil record is evidence of either long ages of very little fossilization, or a short age that includes rapid fossilization.

Wicknight wrote: »
    How interested are you in why neither of those are scientific models? Cause if I go t the trouble of explaining and you just ignore the answer I'll be some what annoyed :)
    We covered that before, but reached different conclusions.

• Advertisement

I was not aware the scientific establishment sponsored Catholic schools.

Wouldn't the Government have to be 'in on it'?

Wouldn't the Government have to be 'in on it'?
    Not essentially. The government does what gets it elected, and anything else it can get away with.

I doubt the scientific establishment would be keen to admit to government influence on their scientific beliefs. But who runs the nations really? The governments, or the elites who control business and military complexes? The ideology of the people or the ideology of the elite?

Not essentially. The government does what gets it elected, and anything else it can get away with.

I doubt the scientific establishment would be keen to admit to government influence on their scientific beliefs. But who runs the nations really? The governments, or the elites who control business and military complexes? The ideology of the people or the ideology of the elite?

You say there is an inate hatred of God within the scientific community; do they hate a God that they believe in?

And therefore, wouldn't scientific achievement actually be tantamount to harnessing the power of God?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Morbert wrote: »

This may be an issue for some of the "softer" sciences, but it is not an issue for biologists or physicist.

i.e. biology or physics isn't culturally influenced.
    I beg to differ.
    There is established literature which suggests it is.

Kuhn and his followers proposed su and toulmin came in with another way
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Toulmin#Philosophy_of_Science
    From the absolutists’ point of view, concepts are either valid or invalid regardless of contexts. From the relativists’ perspective, one concept is neither better nor worse than a rival concept from a different cultural context. From Toulmin’s perspective, the evaluation depends on a process of comparison, which determines whether or not one concept will improve explanatory power more than its rival concepts.

We covered that before, but reached different conclusions.

You have stated many times that you don't know that much about science. How did you reach your conclusion, was it based on trusting Creationists because they share the same religious position as you?

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    You have stated many times that you don't know that much about science. How did you reach your conclusion, was it based on trusting Creationists because they share the same religious position as you?
    When it comes to equally qualified scientists disputing the science, I tend to trust those whom I know to be honest men. I know some such Christians, so I give their witness strong credibility.

That credibility is of course strengthened because their overall case matches the Biblical account. The overall case of the evolutionists does not. I absolutely believe God's word.

You say there is an inate hatred of God within the scientific community; do they hate a God that they believe in?

And therefore, wouldn't scientific achievement actually be tantamount to harnessing the power of God?
    1. They pretend He doesn't exist, but they know He does - and they hate him in their hearts. Not all of them , of course. Many just go with the flow, unwilling to face the peer-pressure.

2. Yes, in that sense it is harnessing the power of God. Using the gifts He gave. Understanding His laws and applying them. But I took from your original comment the idea that they would get God to do their bidding. You know, get the Ark of the Covenant and use it as a super-weapon, al la Raiders of the Lost Ark.

When it comes to equally qualified scientists disputing the science, I tend to trust those whom I know to be honest men. I know some such Christians, so I give their witness strong credibility.

How do you determine they are qualified and/or honest given that by your own admission you don't understand particularly well this subject.

Or put it another way, if they were telling you something that was either inaccurate due to them not understanding the subject, or inaccurate because they are misrepresenting the subject, how would you know?
    That credibility is of course strengthened because their overall case matches the Biblical account. The overall case of the evolutionists does not. I absolutely believe God's word.

And if that was the end of your argument I wouldn't have much issue with it, it is only when Creationists pretend science is on their side that things become trouble some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

ISAW wrote: »
    i.e. biology or physics isn't culturally influenced.
    I beg to differ.
    There is established literature which suggests it is.

Kuhn and his followers proposed su and toulmin came in with another way
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Toulmin#Philosophy_of_Science

"From the absolutists’ point of view, concepts are either valid or invalid regardless of contexts. From the relativists’ perspective, one concept is neither better nor worse than a rival concept from a different cultural context. From Toulmin’s perspective, the evaluation depends on a process of comparison, which determines whether or not one concept will improve explanatory power more than its rival concepts."

"Processes of comparison" are not culturally defined. Quantum mechanics is more correct than classical mechanics. Darwinian evolution is more correct than Lamarckian evolution. Are you suggesting there is a culture that could propose a system of comparison where, say, classical mechanics is more correct that quantum mechanics?

Wicknight said:
    Quote:

How do you determine they are qualified
    Their qualifications and careers are open to scrutiny, there for all to see.
    and/or honest given that by your own admission you don't understand particularly well this subject.
    I'm only speaking of those I know personally. The honesty of others can be assessed on the testimony of witnesses I know to be reliable - though of course it is secondary. I determine the honesty of the individual on the basis of their ordinary life - I'm qualified to assess that. If they are honest in that, I've no reason to think they will be dishonest in anything, including their scientific assertions.
    Or put it another way, if they were telling you something that was either inaccurate due to them not understanding the subject, or inaccurate because they are misrepresenting the subject, how would you know?
    I assume they do know their subject, like any other scientist. And the possibility of them misrepresenting it relates to the issue of general honesty, as above.
    Quote:

And if that was the end of your argument I wouldn't have much issue with it, it is only when Creationists pretend science is on their side that things become trouble some.
    Yes, that is the crux of the problem - is it pretence or reality; a delusion/deception or a genuine alternative scientific understanding.

I assume they do know their subject, like any other scientist.
    What would you think of the vast majority of biologists who accept evolution and dismiss Creationism as religious nonsense, not science?

Would you assume they don't know their subject?

Appealing to the honesty and qualifications of a small handful of people, while dismissing the honesty and qualifications of the vast majority of scientists, seems some what inconsistent?
    Yes, that is the crux of the problem - is it pretence or reality; a delusion/deception or a genuine alternative scientific understanding.

Well yes, and that is why the question of whether they are actually doing science or not is so important.

Wicknight said:
    Quote:
    I assume they do know their subject, like any other scientist.

What would you think of the vast majority of biologists who accept evolution and dismiss Creationism as religious nonsense, not science?

Would you assume they don't know their subject?
    I assume they do know their subject, but prefer the evolutionary explanations, despite the weaknesses, rather than accept the creationist one which would give credence to the God of the Bible. I'm perfectly sure they would be open to an ID or even a creationist explanation if it involved ET civilizations. In fact, when evolution is eventually fully debunked, I'm sure that will be the new consensus scientific model.
    Appealing to the honesty and qualifications of a small handful of people, while dismissing the honesty and qualifications of the vast majority of scientists, seems some what inconsistent?
    Not at all. Truth is not welcome by the majority in many elite bodies. And I do not dismiss their qualifications.
    Quote:

Well yes, and that is why the question of whether they are actually doing science or not is so important.
    Correct.

"Processes of comparison" are not culturally defined. Quantum mechanics is more correct than classical mechanics. Darwinian evolution is more correct than Lamarckian evolution.

for something to be "more" correct there has to be an ideally "perfectly correct" science which is an exact description of the universe. To return to a mathematical analogy we discussed elsewhere, the assumption is that science is attempting to find this book in the Library of Babel. c.f. George Louis Borges.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Library_of_Babel
    In any case, it is clear that a library containing all possible books, arranged at random, is equivalent (as a source of information) to a library containing zero books

So even if a fair assumption such a view of science is it seems logically equivalent to not having any knowledge of the natural world. :)

But let us examine "better" science. The logical/empiricist would view it as having a description which is capable of solving problems which the earlier system was not able to do. But these problems also remain domain specific e.g. making a silicon chip involves quantum theory , getting a satellite to the where Mercury will be in ten years time may involve relativity and classical mechanics would be less accurate, changing plants to adapt to environments may involve modern genetics and Lemarkian evolution would be hopeless. To solve cultural problems however requires going outside the domain. In spite of "advances" in weaponry and genetics no "super" science wil solve the problems of War or food production. Such is scientism. the answer to such problems isn't over the next hill in some scientifically "better" explanation but in the human heart.
    Are you suggesting there is a culture that could propose a system of comparison where, say, classical mechanics is more correct that quantum mechanics?

I'm not a Luddite but I do believe society would be better without war or famine and if we chose to embargo nuclear weapons cloning and other "advances" for this then yes that would be be a "better" world and "more correct" way of living. If Frankenstein germ warfare nuclear weapons and destruction of the environment are the results of "more correct" science are they really worth having ? What are they getting us nearer to? An exactly correct science where we are all dead?

My point is science on its own isn't really sufficient. We can't justify science on the basis it is scientifically "more correct" than the previous attempt even if such a basis for a description is true.

for something to be "more" correct there has to be an ideally "perfectly correct" science which is an exact description of the universe. To return to a mathematical analogy we discussed elsewhere, the assumption is that science is attempting to find this book in the Library of Babel. c.f. George Louis Borges.
    In any case, it is clear that a library containing all possible books, arranged at random, is equivalent (as a source of information) to a library containing zero books

Equivalence? What is the maximum amount of information that can be read from zero books and what is the minimum amount of information that can be read from a random book albeit from among infinity books?

Wicknight said:

I assume they do know their subject, but prefer the evolutionary explanations, despite the weaknesses, rather than accept the creationist one which would give credence to the God of the Bible.

But as we keep saying science is not about preferring or interpreting something. The models have to work. If the models don't work and these scientists say they do work, going so far as to build massive industry around it, they have to be lying or not know what they are talking about.
    Not at all. Truth is not welcome by the majority in many elite bodies. And I do not dismiss their qualifications.

And what about business, where the only thing that matter is money. Do you think these scientists are lying for an ideology while costing billions in research down the drain?

• Advertisement

So even if a fair assumption such a view of science is it seems logically equivalent to not having any knowledge of the natural world. :)

By more correct, I mean a more complete representation of the observed behaviour of nature.
    But let us examine "better" science. The logical/empiricist would view it as having a description which is capable of solving problems which the earlier system was not able to do. But these problems also remain domain specific e.g. making a silicon chip involves quantum theory , getting a satellite to the where Mercury will be in ten years time may involve relativity and classical mechanics would be less accurate, changing plants to adapt to environments may involve modern genetics and Lemarkian evolution would be hopeless. To solve cultural problems however requires going outside the domain. In spite of "advances" in weaponry and genetics no "super" science wil solve the problems of War or food production. Such is scientism. the answer to such problems isn't over the next hill in some scientifically "better" explanation but in the human heart.

My point is science on its own isn't really sufficient. We can't justify science on the basis it is scientifically "more correct" than the previous attempt even if such a basis for a description is true.

I am addressing the notion that scientific theories are culturally influenced, due to "processes of comparison".
    I'm not a Luddite but I do believe society would be better without war or famine and if we chose to embargo nuclear weapons cloning and other "advances" for this then yes that would be be a "better" world and "more correct" way of living. If Frankenstein germ warfare nuclear weapons and destruction of the environment are the results of "more correct" science are they really worth having ? What are they getting us nearer to? An exactly correct science where we are all dead?

Classical mechanics is not a way of living. It is a set of statements about how things behave. These statements say nothing about moral choices or applications.

As an aside: The science of germs has saved billions of lives over the years, more than all the lives biological and nuclear weaponry has destroyed.

By more correct, I mean a more complete representation of the observed behaviour of nature.

Which is a philosophy of science as making a map which is the best possible map to describe the territory/universe/natural world.

Which ois only one philosophy of science . There are others.
    I am addressing the notion that scientific theories are culturally influenced, due to "processes of comparison".

Scientific theories are hugely culturally influenced according to Kuhn.
    Classical mechanics is not a way of living. It is a set of statements about how things behave. These statements say nothing about moral choices or applications.

I agree. Morally we are not really any better than a cave man. In that sense we haven't "advanced" at all. The point is that science economics etc. are there to serve the culture and not vice versa.
    As an aside: The science of germs has saved billions of lives over the years, more than all the lives biological and nuclear weaponry has destroyed.

And potentially could wipe us all out if we haven't the morailty to safely harness such powerful technologies? How then is science so advanced? all it has achieved is enabling us to do things quicker or for longer.

Which is a philosophy of science as making a map which is the best possible map to describe the territory/universe/natural world.

Which is only one philosophy of science . There are others.

What are alternative scientific criteria for "more correct"? Note that the link you provided argued that theories were culturally influenced because "processes of comparison" (which is a fancy term for experiments and observation) are culturally influenced. It was not arguing against efficacy as a criteria for scientific theories.
    Scientific theories are hugely culturally influenced according to Kuhn.

And Kuhn would be wrong, as quantum mechanics is not "culturally" more complete than classical mechanics. Different groups in different universities can favour certain methods over others (One university might favour density functional theory over coupled cluster theory when calculating molecular properties, for example) but this does not translate to "scientific theories are culturally influenced." If a theory works, it works. If it doesn't it doesn't.
    I agree. Morally we are not really any better than a cave man. In that sense we haven't "advanced" at all. The point is that science economics etc. are there to serve the culture and not vice versa.

And potentially could wipe us all out if we haven't the morality to safely harness such powerful technologies? How then is science so advanced? all it has achieved is enabling us to do things quicker or for longer.

I don't see this part of the discussion going anywhere, and it distracts from the more serious charge that scientific theories are culturally influenced.

Wicknight said:
    Quote:
    I assume they do know their subject, but prefer the evolutionary explanations, despite the weaknesses, rather than accept the creationist one which would give credence to the God of the Bible.

But as we keep saying science is not about preferring or interpreting something. The models have to work. If the models don't work and these scientists say they do work, going so far as to build massive industry around it, they have to be lying or not know what they are talking about.
    Both evolutionary and creationist models work, depending on the inputs. They both have the present reality as the end of the model's process. The have different inputs - initial conditions, and events that alter normal processes.

What massive industry is built on any process exclusive to the evolutionary model? None. Both models share a lot in common.
    Quote:

And what about business, where the only thing that matter is money. Do you think these scientists are lying for an ideology while costing billions in research down the drain?
    Again, what research are you referring to?

But, yes, I do believe they would lie for an ideology that costs billions, as long as the public pay for it. The SETI program, for example.

If it came out of each scientists' pay, there would be a lot less support for it, I reckon.

But as it is religiously motivated, some would no doubt cough up.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

What are alternative scientific criteria for "more correct"?

there are epistemologies which suggest that there is not ultimate "perfect map" and the the "certainties" and laws we have a just close approximations or rules of thumb.
    Note that the link you provided argued that theories were culturally influenced because "processes of comparison" (which is a fancy term for experiments and observation) are culturally influenced. It was not arguing against efficacy as a criteria for scientific theories.

http://www.angelfire.com/mn2/tisthammerw/science.html
    Scientists are unbiased observers who use the scientific method to conclusively confirm and conclusively falsify various theories. These experts have no preconceptions in gathering the data and logically derive theories from these objective observations. One great strength of science is that it’s self-correcting, because scientists readily abandon theories when they are shown to be irrational. Although such eminent views of science have been accepted by many people, they are almost completely untrue.
    As a result of the underdetermination of theories and the risk of undiscovered, contradictory empirical evidence, a scientific theory cannot be conclusively proven merely through the data.
    the empirical consequences of a theory invariably rest on background assumptions (also called auxiliary assumptions[27]) from which to derive predictions and even to obtain data
    The dependence on background assumptions to make predictions is sometimes called the Duhem-Quine problem.[29] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duhem%E2%80%93Quine_thesis

Which brings me to the point about other philosophies. Cosmology assumes homogeneity
    Natural laws could not exist in science without assuming the uniformity of nature. Other assumptions made for science to operate include that there exists an external objective reality, that our senses are generally reliable, and so forth.

[quote

And Kuhn would be wrong, as quantum mechanics is not "culturally" more complete than classical mechanics. Different groups in different universities can favour certain methods over others (One university might favour density functional theory over coupled cluster theory when calculating molecular properties, for example) but this does not translate to "scientific theories are culturally influenced." If a theory works, it works. If it doesn't it doesn't.

[81] Often, the reliability of technology depends more upon empirical regularities, rather than explanatory concepts. For example, candles and light bulbs have worked and will continue to work even though our theories of why they work have changed over time (light as particles, waves, or some combination of the two;
    Historically speaking, almost every theory in science eventually becomes discarded as wrong.[82] Consequently, there have been so many false starts in science that it would be rather incredible if we were the ones who are finally on the right track.[83] It would be especially amazing considering that the theories that we’ve already discarded have not even been conclusively falsified by the data.

Same source:
    This type of argument that explains away such evidence is called an ad hoc hypothesis[32], especially if the theory-saving device lacks further significant evidence to support itself. Of course, it is possible to rationally discard this absurd theory, but the point is one cannot do this merely by pointing to the data. When the right ad hoc hypotheses are made, the theory of the moon being made of cheese becomes empirically identical to the moon being rock-like. This sort of thing is not limited to ridiculous theories about the moon’s composition. It’s possible to modify virtually any theory so that it’s consistent with whatever data that might come up.
    end quote

Kuhn was not a social constructivist himself (nor am I for that matter) but he did lead to that school of thought. I dislike it but I can't disprove it.

The notion that religion and science have constantly been at war is not without foundation. It is true that there have been some religious people who have disagreed with the scientific community (e.g. Biblical creationists). It is also true that many religious people once held views contrary to what is now accepted (such as the Catholic Church accepting geocentricism). However, these sorts of events should not be overgeneralized. While many attempts have been made to show that religion is unhealthy for science (particularly in the 19th century), contemporary historians see that work as more propaganda than legitimate history.[61]
    I don't see this part of the discussion going anywhere, and it distracts from the more serious charge that scientific theories are culturally influenced.

http://wwwcsi.unian.it/educa/inglese/matthews.html
    Note that by using the term empirical evidence, I am not taking a realist or empiricist stance, nor any other Western orientation. I use the term ‘empirical evidence’ with the understanding that knowledge is socially constructed and always partial.
    Matthews here quotes Rodriguez ( 1998, p. 618)
    Matthews himself isn't a constructivist.

Probably the arch social constructivist is von Glaserfeld. you will find plenty of references to him in the reference section above. As I said I'm not a constructivist but I can't deny there is an established school which assert knowledge is socially constructed.

there are epistemologies which suggest that there is not ultimate "perfect map" and the the "certainties" and laws we have a just close approximations or rules of thumb.

And with that in mind, what are alternative scientific criteria for "more correct"?

You are constructing a false dichotomy. (Either science is a mechanical, unbiased series of progressions towards an absolute truth, or it is culturally influenced). In reality, the biases that can seep into science mentioned by the website are squeezed out by future scientific investigations. It may take several decades for a better theory to be accepted, and this may be due to imperfect, biased peer review (read the history of the theory of plate-tectonics for example), but the faults are exposed regardless. In the above link, it is assumed that, once a theory is accepted by any given biased portion of the scientific community, it is enshrined and immune to attacks in the future. This is not the case, and as I said in an earlier discussion, the personal bias of a scientist or group of scientists might delay a sound theory, or temporarily give life to an unsound theory, but these faults are weeded out by the scientific process as a whole. To paraphrase a great physics graduate: "Science knows it doesn't know everything. Otherwise it would stop.". As long as science never stops, bias and impartiality will be exposed and removed.
    Which brings me to the point about other philosophies. Cosmology assumes homogeneity.

And that assumption is evidenced by the statistical distribution of galaxies in the universe, and the isotropic cosmic microwave background radiation.

If you want to discuss a fundamental assumption, consider the one I mentioned in the Atheist Elite College thread: Uniformitarianism. These kinds of assumptions are essential for science to even exist, and aren't specific to any culture or society.
    [81] Often, the reliability of technology depends more upon empirical regularities, rather than explanatory concepts. For example, candles and light bulbs have worked and will continue to work even though our theories of why they work have changed over time (light as particles, waves, or some combination of the two;

This is simply untrue. New technology is often the direct application of modern scientific theories. Light-emitting-diodes, unlike candles and light bulbs, rely heavily on quantum mechanics. And you can find a rich history of experimental tests for quantum mechanics and relativity in physics journals.
    Historically speaking, almost every theory in science eventually becomes discarded as wrong.[82] Consequently, there have been so many false starts in science that it would be rather incredible if we were the ones who are finally on the right track.[83] It would be especially amazing considering that the theories that we’ve already discarded have not even been conclusively falsified by the data.

This is an oversimplification. Classical mechanics is not "wrong", for example. It was merely found to approximate only a limited range of behaviour. And Darwinian evolution has been so thoroughly tested that, while there are still open questions about the details, we can have a great deal of confidence in it. But again, that does not mean it will stop being investigated.
    Same source:
    This type of argument that explains away such evidence is called an ad hoc hypothesis[32], especially if the theory-saving device lacks further significant evidence to support itself. Of course, it is possible to rationally discard this absurd theory, but the point is one cannot do this merely by pointing to the data. When the right ad hoc hypotheses are made, the theory of the moon being made of cheese becomes empirically identical to the moon being rock-like. This sort of thing is not limited to ridiculous theories about the moon’s composition. It’s possible to modify virtually any theory so that it’s consistent with whatever data that might come up.
    end quote

Since scientific research never stops, ad-hoc modifications to an unsound theory can only delay, and never prevent, the criticism and rejection of a theory. Nobody is going to continuously append ad-hoc corrections to a theory for all time.
    http://wwwcsi.unian.it/educa/inglese/matthews.html

Matthews here quotes Rodriguez ( 1998, p. 618)
    Matthews himself isn't a constructivist.

Probably the arch social constructivist is von Glaserfeld. you will find plenty of references to him in the reference section above. As I said I'm not a constructivist but I can't deny there is an established school which assert knowledge is socially constructed.

Knowledge is socially constructed insofar as scientific theories are man-made explanations of observations. But the key point is the success of a theory is not based on any man-made cultural or social bias. It is based on it's ability to form a working predictive framework.

And with that in mind, what are alternative scientific criteria for "more correct"?

As there is no idealised progression to any "better" there isn't any "more correct" there is only what we have as being more accurate in terms of what we have as compared to what we had. We can't say what we will have will be better ( I mean in terms of accuracy) as
    1. empirical measurement isn't objective but culturally influenced
    2. Science isnt progeessive or cululative

depending on the philosophy 1 or 2 may apply

the idea of something being "more correct" is loading the question with such an assumption. I happen to subscribe to that assumption personally but it isnt being objective
    to state other interpretations dont exist or are invalid.
    You are constructing a false dichotomy. (Either science is a mechanical, unbiased series of progressions towards an absolute truth, or it is culturally influenced).

Personally I think a bit of both but you have ot be careful about what you mean by "absolute truth"
    In reality, the biases that can seep into science mentioned by the website are squeezed out by future scientific investigations.

Into "science" as a culture no. Into "scientific measurement" i.e. empirical science ? - well that again presuposed that empirical science is gradually moving towards some absolute objective truth
    It may take several decades for a better theory to be accepted,

Better in terms of the culture of the later theory? And again if "better" means "more accurate in terms of predicting or describing the world" we are back into the problems of empiricism being objective or influenced by culture.
    and this may be due to imperfect, biased peer review (read the history of the theory of plate-tectonics for example), but the faults are exposed regardless.

So "scientists sometimes get it wrong" . But according to what? According to some ultimately absolute objective laws of nature ( which we can't prove) or according to the culture of the day which say the last bunch got it wrong ( and who later will be said to actually be wrong) ?
    In the above link, it is assumed that, once a theory is accepted by any given biased portion of the scientific community, it is enshrined and immune to attacks in the future. This is not the case, and as I said in an earlier discussion, the personal bias of a scientist or group of scientists might delay a sound theory, or temporarily give life to an unsound theory, but these faults are weeded out by the scientific process as a whole.

the above link does not make the assumption that a paradigm is immune to attacks but as Kuhn would say the culture of the day protects the accepted view from attacks. In his view it is the mavericks who lead revolutions.

Science is a Western thing based on Greek reasoning in Chalmers view.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Is_This_Thing_Called_Science%3F

Your view seems closer to Wolpert's
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/apr/07/science.highereducation
    I would teach the world that science is the best way to understand the world, and that for any set of observations, there is only one correct explanation. Also, science is value-free, as it explains the world as it is. Ethical issues arise only when science is applied to technology – from medicine to industry...

and
    http://nobelprize.org/nobel_organizations/nobelfoundation/symposia/interdisciplinary/ns120/lectures/wolpert.pdf
    page 6
    I regard it
    as ethically unacceptable and impractical to censor any aspect of trying to
    understand the nature of our world.

But note his earlier comment page 3
    Whatever new technology is introduced, it is not for
    the scientists to make the moral or ethical decisions. They have neither
    special rights nor skills in areas involving moral or ethical issues.

Take your Geological theories for example.

Most Biblical theories are catastrophic . the gradualist movement contradicted this. Evolution began as a gradualist theory. today we have catastrophist evolution i.e. they believe nothing much happens for very long periods and species settle down. Then along comes global warming or an ice age or Volcanoes or an extraterrestrial impact and whole blocks of species are extincted and within a very short time new species evolve to fill the gaps and evolution then settles down for another long period.

I am aware of the technology and science not being the same but for cultural reasons take the sword. The Eastern cultures had gun powder. They stuck with the sword and arrow in spite of having already developed guns.

When the Europeans got gun powder they developed it and came back and conquered Japan and China with them.

As to
    squeezed out by future scientific investigations

this apparently applies to all scientific theories ever written down. and it suggests no regressive steps ever happen, that science always progresses. But again this accepts that most of science can be wrong and that science will eventually accept that the maverick who is right is actually right. Acience has accepted the new paradigm but what does that say for the science that rejected it for say a generation? If science can do this then what in the future is to stop an atheistic regime using a weapon like the atomic bomb before we later accept they were wrong and squeeze them out?
    To paraphrase a great physics graduate: "Science knows it doesn't know everything. Otherwise it would stop.". As long as science never stops, bias and impartiality will be exposed and removed.

I think you meant "partiality" but again this is an appeal to the pure ideal of science . In practice science does not operate on that. It operates on grants and budgets. a lot of pure science is dropped not because it is poor science but because the budgets are not there. To suggest that science has some form of self regulating mechanism which makes sure the best science is eventually done without any budgetary and political and cultural influence I would say is both reification and naive.
    And that assumption is evidenced by the statistical distribution of galaxies in the universe, and the isotropic cosmic microwave background radiation.

I didn't say there are no grounds to assume that matter is evenly spread in the univers or that the laws of physics work the same in all parts of the universe. I din't say that assumptiona like " that there exists an external objective reality, that our senses are generally reliable, and so forth. " are not reasonable. But they are assumptions none the less. We believe them to be true and work form there. It is important because when we get to meta science we have to remember for example we are using say "objective reality"
    as a beginning and using our developments in areas of "subjective reality" for example will be invalid.
    I come across this with some posters who will base an argument on sound scientific principles to argue about say subjective reality. But the principles themselves are based on science developed on axioms of objective reality. As Descartes I think said if you build a house on faulty foundations it will fall down.
    If you want to discuss a fundamental assumption, consider the one I mentioned in the Atheist Elite College thread: Uniformitarianism. These kinds of assumptions are essential for science to even exist, and aren't specific to any culture or society.

And look above to where evolutionary gradualism opposed creationism which was catrophist and also uniform. But later evolutionary theories such as punctuated evolution is unioform and catastrophist and involves rapid evolution following catastrophies.
    This is simply untrue. New technology is often the direct application of modern scientific theories. Light-emitting-diodes, unlike candles and light bulbs, rely heavily on quantum mechanics. And you can find a rich history of experimental tests for quantum mechanics and relativity in physics journals.

So what? You have the logic backwards. It didn't argue that developments come from new science. It argued old devices still work e.g. candles even though we no longer believe the element of fire was being liberated from the element of earth in the candle and moving towards the sphere of fire above us.
    This is an oversimplification. Classical mechanics is not "wrong", for example. It was merely found to approximate only a limited range of behaviour. And Darwinian evolution has been so thoroughly tested that, while there are still open questions about the details, we can have a great deal of confidence in it. But again, that does not mean it will stop being investigated.

But this idea that "science is always improving in accuracy and extending it's domain" ids neither a proof it will ever reach an ultimate goal nor an objective definition of "more right"

Since scientific research never stops, ad-hoc modifications to an unsound theory can only delay, and never prevent, the criticism and rejection of a theory. Nobody is going to continuously append ad-hoc corrections to a theory for all time.

LOL with "dark matter theory" you could have fooled me :)

And how do you know? In fact if science is gradually changing over time how can you say science isnt a load of ad hoc additions to a few core ideals?
    Knowledge is socially constructed insofar as scientific theories are man-made explanations of observations. But the key point is the success of a theory is not based on any man-made cultural or social bias. It is based on it's ability to form a working predictive framework.

Of an objective reality which would exist independent of any sentient being?
    Two problems arise here
    1. How do yo know that?
    2. People interpret things in different ways.

Science deals with 1 by assuming a particular philosophical stance. That stance isnt unique and may differ depending on the culture of the science and scientists. I tend to subscribe to "western Science" i.e. as developed from greek rationality.

Western Science deals with 2 by appealing to "empiricism" I have already shown the problems with this.

As there is no idealised progression to any "better" there isn't any "more correct" there is only what we have as being more accurate in terms of what we have as compared to what we had.

This is what I defined as more correct earlier. I.e. A theory is "more correct" if it provides a more complete description of a set of phenomena. I am asking you for an alternative definition. If there are none, then the charge that physics and biology are culturally influenced largely evaporates.
    We can't say what we will have will be better ( I mean in terms of accuracy) as
    1. empirical measurement isn't objective but culturally influenced
    2. Science isnt progeessive or cululative

depending on the philosophy 1 or 2 may apply

We can easily say what we have will be more accurate. Quantum mechanics is more accurate than classical mechanics, and we can see this in the prediction of molecular properties. Quantum field theory is more accurate than quantum mechanics, and we can see this in the properties of superconductors, or in high-energy experiments. And science is progressive and cumulative. You only need to glance at the abstracts of any journal through the years to see that.
    the idea of something being "more correct" is loading the question with such an assumption. I happen to subscribe to that assumption personally but it isnt being objective to state other interpretations dont exist or are invalid.

I have defined the term. You are saying physics is culturally influenced. I am saying that, if more correct is interpreted as "more accurate/complete/predictive" then it is not culturally influenced in any meaningful sense. You then said there are other definitions of "more correct" which might render science as culturally influenced. I am asking you for alternative interpretations.
    Into "science" as a culture no. Into "scientific measurement" i.e. empirical science ? - well that again presuposed that empirical science is gradually moving towards some absolute objective truth

Better in terms of the culture of the later theory? And again if "better" means "more accurate in terms of predicting or describing the world" we are back into the problems of empiricism being objective or influenced by culture.

And how are empirical measurements influenced by culture? There is no culture, for example, where the accuracy of hartree-fock theory will not be improved by a configuration interaction calculation afterwards. We can say a configuration interaction calculation provides a more accurate picture than a hartree-fock calculation without having to qualify it with "in our culture anyway".
    So "scientists sometimes get it wrong" . But according to what? According to some ultimately absolute objective laws of nature ( which we can't prove) or according to the culture of the day which say the last bunch got it wrong ( and who later will be said to actually be wrong) ?

According to the criteria of accuracy, predictability, explanatory power etc. Nobody is claiming absolute truth.
    the above link does not make the assumption that a paradigm is immune to attacks but as Kuhn would say the culture of the day protects the accepted view from attacks. In his view it is the mavericks who lead revolutions.

Science is a Western thing based on Greek reasoning in Chalmers view.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Is_This_Thing_Called_Science%3F

Actually, I have to say that, when this does happen in science, it is philosophy that is to blame.

"Against Philosophy" by Weinberg

But I do accept that there can exist "pet theories" in some circles of scientists. But I would also say that such theories will ultimately depend on successful support by experiment and observations.
    Your view seems closer to Wolpert's
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/apr/07/science.highereducation

and
    http://nobelprize.org/nobel_organizations/nobelfoundation/symposia/interdisciplinary/ns120/lectures/wolpert.pdf
    page 6

But note his earlier comment page 3

I am aware of the technology and science not being the same but for cultural reasons take the sword. The Eastern cultures had gun powder. They stuck with the sword and arrow in spite of having already developed guns.

When the Europeans got gun powder they developed it and came back and conquered Japan and China with them.

I have no issue with the separation of scientific research from the ethical use of the research.
    Take your Geological theories for example.

Most Biblical theories are catastrophic . the gradualist movement contradicted this. Evolution began as a gradualist theory. today we have catastrophist evolution i.e. they believe nothing much happens for very long periods and species settle down. Then along comes global warming or an ice age or Volcanoes or an extraterrestrial impact and whole blocks of species are extincted and within a very short time new species evolve to fill the gaps and evolution then settles down for another long period.

And look above to where evolutionary gradualism opposed creationism which was catrophist and also uniform. But later evolutionary theories such as punctuated evolution is unioform and catastrophist and involves rapid evolution following catastrophies.

We have had this discussion before, and I will again say that catastrophism, in the biblical sense, has been rejected by the scientific community, and that punctuated equilibrium is a gradualist theory. Nobody would argue that large-scale extinction events haven't altered the history of life, and this is sometimes called "neocatastrophism", but I find that term unhelpful, and if you must use it, it is important to make the distinction between it and the more traditional, Biblical catastrophism. So while catastrophic events can and do occur (and this has never been contentious), geology is still gradualistic.
    this apparently applies to all scientific theories ever written down. and it suggests no regressive steps ever happen, that science always progresses. But again this accepts that most of science can be wrong and that science will eventually accept that the maverick who is right is actually right. Acience has accepted the new paradigm but what does that say for the science that rejected it for say a generation? If science can do this then what in the future is to stop an atheistic regime using a weapon like the atomic bomb before we later accept they were wrong and squeeze them out?

It only suggests that, while regressive steps do happen, the overall trend is progressive. And any regression cannot be blamed on culural influence, but rather on the simple fact that we do not know everything, and sometimes get it wrong.
    I think you meant "partiality" but again this is an appeal to the pure ideal of science . In practice science does not operate on that. It operates on grants and budgets. a lot of pure science is dropped not because it is poor science but because the budgets are not there. To suggest that science has some form of self regulating mechanism which makes sure the best science is eventually done without any budgetary and political and cultural influence I would say is both reification and naive.

I am not saying science is ideal from day to day. I am saying, in the long term, cultural bias is removed.

And yes, funding bodies are always an issue, and scientists can be pressed to make their research "relevant". But this is largely in technology/applications areas, like drug development. And when junk science does occur, it is called out by the open-research community.
    I didn't say there are no grounds to assume that matter is evenly spread in the univers or that the laws of physics work the same in all parts of the universe. I din't say that assumptiona like " that there exists an external objective reality, that our senses are generally reliable, and so forth. " are not reasonable. But they are assumptions none the less. We believe them to be true and work form there. It is important because when we get to meta science we have to remember for example we are using say "objective reality" as a beginning and using our developments in areas of "subjective reality" for example will be invalid. I come across this with some posters who will base an argument on sound scientific principles to argue about say subjective reality. But the principles themselves are based on science developed on axioms of objective reality. As Descartes I think said if you build a house on faulty foundations it will fall down.

You implied the homogeneous assumption was a cultural assumption, as opposed to an assumption that is held based on evidence. If you accept that it is not a cultural assumption then there is no issue.
    So what? You have the logic backwards. It didn't argue that developments come from new science. It argued old devices still work e.g. candles even though we no longer believe the element of fire was being liberated from the element of earth in the candle and moving towards the sphere of fire above us.

Yes, and I'm saying even though old devices still work, new devices don't, as they are more reliant on scientific theory. I.e. If quantum mechanics wasn't more correct than "fire liberation" theory, new devices wouldn't work.
    LOL with "dark matter theory" you could have fooled me :)

Scientists fully accept that general relativity is only an approximation, even if they disagree as to where the theory breaks down. Dark matter, (and especially dark energy) are anomalies that we cannot fully explain with current theories, and we certainly aren't interpreting them as "quick-fixes" to theories which are clearly incomplete. Furthermore, there
    And how do you know? In fact if science is gradually changing over time how can you say science isnt a load of ad hoc additions to a few core ideals?

I can easily say that, as it is obvious from the structure of the theories. What, for examples, are the few core ideas in physics, with a load of ad-hoc additions?
    Of an objective reality which would exist independent of any sentient being?
    Two problems arise here
    1. How do yo know that?
    2. People interpret things in different ways.

Science deals with 1 by assuming a particular philosophical stance. That stance isnt unique and may differ depending on the culture of the science and scientists. I tend to subscribe to "western Science" i.e. as developed from greek rationality.

Western Science deals with 2 by appealing to "empiricism" I have already shown the problems with this.

What are the alternative sciences?

This is what I defined as more correct earlier. I.e. A theory is "more correct" if it provides a more complete description of a set of phenomena. I am asking you for an alternative definition. If there are none, then the charge that physics and biology are culturally influenced largely evaporates.
    We can easily say what we have will be more accurate. Quantum mechanics is more accurate than classical mechanics, and we can see this in the prediction of molecular properties. Quantum field theory is more accurate than quantum mechanics, and we can see this in the properties of superconductors, or in high-energy experiments. And science is progressive and cumulative. You only need to glance at the abstracts of any journal through the years to see that.

"Is" is not "will be"
    I have defined the term. You are saying physics is culturally influenced. I am saying that, if more correct is interpreted as "more accurate/complete/predictive" then it is not culturally influenced in any meaningful sense.
    http://www.indiana.edu/~koertge/NewAgePoS.pdf
    they argue that what
    are taken to be well-established scientific results, even in the long-run,
    are the results of choices made by the scientific community and that
    quite different outcomes of equal scientific merit were possible.
    Sociologists of science respond to their opponents by criticizing the
    deployment of what they call “the zero-sum assumption”, a term
    introduced by Bloor and Edge [1998] in a letter to the editor of Physics
    World in which they fault Jean Bricmont and other scientists for
    assuming that cognitive and social factors are two, mutually exclusive
    categories of causes for beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Linking the BioLogos website might be prescient at this point? I dunno if anyone's seen it or anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement