Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glycerine

Options
  • 12-11-2007 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I might get glycerine? I tried Dunnes & Tesco at the weekend but they didn't have it. Something's telling me it could have been withdrawn a couple of years ago but I could just be mixing it up with something else. If it is no longer available, does anyone know of any alternatives (to make icing for a Christmas cake)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Icing sugar??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Any pharmacy should have glycerine

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

olaola wrote: »
    Icing sugar??
    :confused: Glycerine is used as a softening agent in making icing to stop the icing setting too hard.

Alun wrote: »
    :confused: Glycerine is used as a softening agent in making icing to stop the icing setting too hard.

I just use royal icing sugar and water. You can get the rolley out stuff I think. Never used it myself though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

the royal icing sugar has a speecial ingredient you dont get in regular icing sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I'll try the chemist so, thanks CJhaughey. I used Royal Icing before but I want to use a couple of different textures and one of the recipes I have says I need glycerine. I don't like the roll out stuff but thanks olaola.

Tree wrote: »
    the royal icing sugar has a special ingredient you don't get in regular icing sugar.
    Aah, never knew there was such a thing as royal icing sugar ... maybe the secret ingredient is glycerine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I just ran across to the chemist there and picked up a bottle of glycerine so all's well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is in health food shops too. Glycerine is used as a laxative or "stool softener". It is also commonly used in liquers, that is why they are so thick, it is not just sugar, even some unsweetened vodkas use it to smooth out the taste.

Alun wrote: »
    Aah, never knew there was such a thing as royal icing sugar ... maybe the secret ingredient is glycerine?

I think its powdered egg whites?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_icing
    Royal icing is a hard white icing, made from softly beaten egg whites, icing sugar (powdered sugar), and sometimes lemon juice.

Yes, but in the same wiki article it also says "Glycerine is occasionally added to prevent the icing from setting too hard." which is what I thought it was for.

Just icing sugar and water with no egg white (either as an ingredient of royal icing sugar or added separately) will give you a very soft icing, I think. Adding the egg white makes it harder, rock hard sometimes, hence adding the glycerine to soften it up a bit, but still remaining fairly hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sig53

I bought Glycerin at TRACEY'S PHARMACY on Eden Quay. 100ml for €2.59.
    There is a green + above the stores. Next to 29 bus stop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd say the OP has found it at this stage after nearly 4 years of searching...

Also, a lot of posters find large, bold, coloured fonts a little irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sig53

The post was not for OP whoever that is. It is for the general public. I went searching for glycerin on the net and google led me to this thread which didn't answer my needs. I found it by chance in in TRACEY'S PHARMACY. So I like to do the charity of saving others the runaround. If you don't like bold print to emphasise a name, you might consider editing your own bold print name. cheers.:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

sig53 wrote: »
    The post was not for OP whoever that is. It is for the general public. I went searching for glycerin on the net and google led me to this thread which didn't answer my needs. I found it by chance in in TRACEY'S PHARMACY. So I like to do the charity of saving others the runaround. If you don't like bold print to emphasise a name, you might consider editing your own bold print name. cheers.:p

I’m a moderator here, that’s why my name is in bold. We’re kinda like janitors, trying to keep the place tidy and running relatively hassle free. I’ll give you a little info:

The thread was nearly 4yrs old when you posted your reply. This is frowned upon unless the ‘bump’ is an essential piece of information or a really worthwhile contribution. Your post was really neither.

Your whole post was submitted in large, bolded font is also included colours. A lot of posters (me included) find this irritating, it’s not commonplace on boards so you won’t see it often. The use of coloured font such as you post above also appears spammy.

There’s little point debating this, certainly not on-thread (also frowned upon as it drags a thread off-topic), it’s just how the place runs. If moderators have to edit a poster’s contributions to remove colours, large fonts or deal with inappropriate bumps the poster becomes much more hassle then they’re worth and their access maybe removed.

If you need anymore information check out the Newbies & FAQ. If you want to discuss this further feel free to send me a PM.

Also; the OP is the original poster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement