Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus taxes and charges

Options
  • 13-06-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Normally a complaint levelled at another airline but I'm finding AL's taxes and charges are noteworthy of late.

The link to the Taxes and Charges page does not explain any of these.

Can someone explain why a fare that costs €4.99 more incurs an extra €13.08 in tax?

162778.JPG

162779.JPG

Are Aer Lingus becoming more and more of an irrelevance?
    Are the only people that are still flying with Aer Lingus only doing so cos they're Ryanair-haters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

If you click taxes and charges you should see a breakdown of these taxes I believe, be interesting to see what these are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It sounds like the second one is attracting the higher rate of UK APD (£24) rather than the lower rate (£12) or else one attracts the Heathrow Passenger Service charge and the second doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

If you click taxes and charges you should see a breakdown of these taxes I believe, be interesting to see what these are.
    I said in my post that none are explained! Here's the text brought up by the link. None apply to the UK.
    Taxes, Fees & Charges

Taxes, fees and charges
    Security surcharge
    September 11th security fee
    Government Airport Departure Tax
    Fuel surcharge

1. Taxes, fees and charges
    You must pay applicable taxes, fees and charges imposed by government or other authority, or by the operator of an airport. If you do not use your confirmed reservation, you will be entitled to claim a refund of any taxes, fees and charges (excluding the fuel surcharge) which you have paid, an administration fee will apply except for bookings originating in the USA. For more information, please refer to Conditions of Carriage.

2. Security surcharge
    Aer Lingus has a passenger surcharge on all flights to or from the USA for insurance and security. This surcharge applies per flight, as detailed below, to all passengers including children and infants on long-haul flights.

Ex-Ireland €5.00 per flight
    Ex-USA $8.00 per flight
    Ex-UK £8.00 per flight
    3. September 11th security fee
    You must pay a $2.50 September 11th security fee for each enplanement at a US airport, which is levied by airports in the USA, for flights departing the USA. This fee is included in the Taxes and charges amount.
    4. Government Airport Departure Tax
    The Irish Government have imposed the Air Travel Tax (ATT), an excise duty on air travel and it will be charged, levied and paid in respect of every departure of a passenger on an aircraft from an Irish airport on or after 30th March 2009.

The tax applies as and from 30th March 2009 to the departure of each passenger on an aircraft from an Irish airport, irrespective of when a passenger booked or purchased the flight ticket.

This is not an tax imposed by Aer Lingus and more information can be found on The Office of the Revenue Commissioners website.

5. Fuel surcharge
    A fuel surcharge is applicable to longhaul flights to/from North America and other long haul destinations from Ireland and other European countries. This surcharge applies per flight, as detailed below, to all passengers.

€65/$95 or equivalent each-way per passenger applies to New York and Boston.
    €75/$115 or equivalent each-way per passenger applies to Chicago, Orlando and Madrid-Washington.
    €85/$125 or equivalent each-way per passenger applies per flight to other long haul destinations.
    The fuel surcharge is non-refundable.

Close Window

• Registered Users Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If you try to book a flight on flybmi.com you will get a full breakdown of taxes and charges.

The two biggest out of LHR are the UK APD and the Heathrow Passenger Service Charge.

One of those two is the reason for the change in price, and the latter appears to be a moving feast.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Snow Leopard

EI subsidise the Taxes and Charges on the 0.00 fares so as to keep the lowest price low. The 49.99 fare will be the fare advertised for the route. All other fares (anything above 0.00) will attract the full amount of Taxes and Charges.

€63.07 is the full amount of Taxes and Charges but if this were to be advertised as their "lowest fare" it wouldn't come across as very cheap and certainly wouldn't draw people who are on the lookout for a good deal to the website.

The charges that flights ex LHR attract nowadays are truly extortionate. There's few airports in the world that could get away with charging such an amount really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'd love if Aer Lingus went the Easyjet way and just displayed the full price (incl all taxes, charges, booking fees) of a ticket on the site. They could then give the full breakdown afterwards. It's just such a let-down every time my €19.99 flight comes in at over €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I've been flying to the UK a lot lately and I have to say that Ryanair, for all the criticism levelled at them are a lot more transparent on fares than Aer Lingus are. The icing on the cake with Ryanair is the PerfectCard debit card from the Blanchardstown centre... I've saved over €100 on credit card fees in the last 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

One interesting development at Aer Lingus I noticed this week was when checking in at the airport it only offered me the middle seat, no option for window or aisle seat.

It's unlikely someone flying alone would want the middle seat and I thought it might be a ploy to try encourage people to pay extra to pay for their seat in advance online.

I checked in at Heathrow this morning almost 3 hours before the flight and the only seats optioned to me were middle seats. Yet on the flight there were plenty of spare aisle and window seats.

Thought this might be a sneaky way of trying to get people to part with more money on future bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

EI subsidise the Taxes and Charges on the 0.00 fares so as to keep the lowest price low. The 49.99 fare will be the fare advertised for the route. All other fares (anything above 0.00) will attract the full amount of Taxes and Charges.

€63.07 is the full amount of Taxes and Charges but if this were to be advertised as their "lowest fare" it wouldn't come across as very cheap and certainly wouldn't draw people who are on the lookout for a good deal to the website.

The charges that flights ex LHR attract nowadays are truly extortionate. There's few airports in the world that could get away with charging such an amount really.
    If Aer Lingus subsidise the ``taxes and charges'' on certain seats on the same route(or even plane) then clearly what they classify as the fare is bull and is misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nd001

I have in the last couple of days received my refund from aer lingus after I cancelled my flight from barcelona back to dublin before the threatened strikes. As you are all probably aware aer lingus advised passengers to cancel their flight or re book on a different date. I chose to cancel my return flight and book with ryanair which cost €262 for myself and my girlfriend. Aer lingus refunded me €178 which leaves me out of pocket €92. Have I a case in claiming my €92 euro back off aerlingus. Thanks in adavnce

• Advertisement
Advertisement