Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed new traffic layout by fire station

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Makes a bit of sense alright. I'll only back it however, if I'm allowed diplomatic immunity to speed up when I regularly meet a cyclist coming the wrong way down Raven Terrace in the middle of the road.

That opening of that road down by the side of Kashmir linking Munster Avenue and Lower Fairhill Road has been talked about for years, but I believe the cost of acquisition was too high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm concerned about the tree. What will happen to the tree? Won't someone please think of the innocent tree!

It will also mean Dominick Street will become even busier than it currently is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Robbo wrote: »
    I'll only back it however, if I'm allowed diplomatic immunity to speed up when I regularly meet a cyclist coming the wrong way down Raven Terrace in the middle of the road.
    Rather than getting diplomatic immunity why not just ask the powers that be to get rid of the car parking - then would have enough space for salmon cyclists. The one-way system for Raven Terrace will flip based on above proposals.

All the proposal is doing is creating a large roundabout/gyratory around Monroe's and those block of buildings. i.e (The roads Munster Avenue, Domnick St, Lower Fairhill Rd and Burkes Lane will be roads of the roundabout/gyratory) Similar to the road layout around the House Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

They definately need to change that junction, the amount of people that break the red light is crazy. It's a bottleneck for traffic in Galway too. Hopefully the new plans will work, I assume the link between Fairhill Rd Lower and Munster avenue will be through Burkes Lane and not through Fr Burke Park. I wonder will they change the direction of the traffic flow on Ravens Terrace. The main plans are below.
    l A complete reconfiguration of the junctions at the fire station and outside Monroe’s Bar
    l Two-way traffic on the Lower Fairhill Road (alongside Quick Fit tyres)
    l The opening of a new road link between Munster Avenue and Lower Fairhill Road
    l No right-hand turn from Wolfe Tone Bridge onto Raven’s Terrace

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Rather than getting diplomatic immunity why not just ask the powers that be to get rid of the car parking - then would have enough space for salmon cyclists. The one-way system for Raven Terrace will flip based on above proposals.

All the proposal is doing is creating a large roundabout/gyratory around Monroe's and those block of buildings. i.e (The roads Munster Avenue, Domnick St, Lower Fairhill Rd and Burkes Lane will be roads of the roundabout/gyratory) Similar to the road layout around the House Hotel.
    They'd never get rid of the on street parking given the income it brings and their dwindling budget. At rates in excess of Stephen's Green in Dublin, it serves it's dual purpose in both discouraging car use in the city centre and bringing in the dough.

I like the salmon euphemism, however, very Disney.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Doubt the firection of traffic flow will change on Raven's Terrace, you just won't be able to turn onto it coming from the bridge. You would still be able to turn onto it coming from Fr. Griffin Road, and possibly still from the Claddagh Quay. Then again, they might change the direction of travel, and it becomes a slip road to go across the bridge from Dominick St., with 2 lanes on Fairhill Rd. for going straight on and turning right, and one for oncoming traffic.
    Either way, it should be an improvement, that turn right onto Ravens Terrace holds up so much traffic.

They'd never get rid of the on street parking given the income it brings and their dwindling budget. At rates in excess of Stephen's Green in Dublin, it serves it's dual purpose in both discouraging car use in the city centre and bringing in the dough.
    Its a good point though because it actually shows that the Council have a vested interest in not doing anything to reduce traffic in the city center as they will lose financially if they do.
    I dont see how providing car parking would discourage car use here? Its not residential on street car parking here. Also would only lose 8/9 spaces. One way streets like this should be two way for cyclists.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Then again, they might change the direction of travel, and it becomes a slip road to go across the bridge from Dominick St., with 2 lanes on Fairhill Rd. for going straight on and turning right, and one for oncoming traffic.
    I think this is how it will be done.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Either way, it should be an improvement, that turn right onto Ravens Terrace holds up so much traffic.

Not for pedestrians - it will increase traffic speeds; and especially not for cyclists - longer routes and increased traffic speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Its a good point though because it actually shows that the Council have a vested interest in not doing anything to reduce traffic in the city center as they will lose financially if they do.
    I dont see how providing car parking would discourage car use here? Its not residential on street car parking here. Also would only lose 8/9 spaces. One way streets like this should be two way for cyclists.

I agree with Robbo about the cyclists.

One way streets are for traffic going in, surprise surprise, one direction. Cyclists are supposed to obey this, too, just like they shouldn't ride on paths and should be properly lit. The last thing a driver expects on a one way street is some moron coming against him (often in the dark or low visibility) in the middle of the lane, sometimes 2 abreast).

As for taking away parking, there is little enough parking around the town as it is. A lot of it turns into taxi ranks in the evening, with taxis blocking them out from luchtime onwards (O'Briens Bridge), not allowing people to use them to park.

Any improvements to the traffic system in the town would be received with thanks, and in Farihill/Fr. Griffin something needs to be done about the red light jumpers who cause everything to grind to a halt (jump the light, get stuck in the junction, and stop everything else from progressing). A garda presence there once in a while would be a help, as would repainting the lines and the junction box and putting in directional arrows foe the lanes (2 lanes merging into 1 both directions Salthill to town).

Direction arrows on all of the roundabouts and a bit of Garda presence to help improve behaviour would do no harm either.

/rant

The pricing, I was informed by a councillor previously, is set at a level to discourage frivolous car use but at the same time have enough spaces to make it pay. Hence the €2.60 hourly rate.

• Advertisement

The pricing, I was informed by a councillor previously, is set at a level to discourage frivolous car use but at the same time have enough spaces to make it pay. Hence the €2.60 hourly rate.

But all this does is create more traffic movements in this general area? The street is always well occupied - so dont believe the rate is discouraging users. Understand the argument about pricing - but a fairer solution is reducing provision.

Fey! wrote: »
    One way streets are for traffic going in, surprise surprise, one direction.

Yes - but they dont need to be for cyclists. See the following Dept of Transport document who suggest this solution:
    http://www.smartertravel.ie/download/1/0902%2002%20EnglishNS1274%20Dept.%20of%20Transport_National_Cycle_Policy_v4.pdf
    Page 18
    contra-flow cycle lanes on one-way streets /
    making two-way streets for cyclists;
    There are examples of this type of solution in Dublin.

But all this does is create more traffic movements in this general area? The street is always well occupied - so dont believe the rate is discouraging users. Understand the argument about pricing - but a fairer solution is reducing provision.
    I'd imagine it's all part of the great tradeoff, you need (based on a rough back of the envelope calculation) ~€30k PA in parking income from that street (and then fines) in order to pay for making junctions and traffic plans more sympathetic to non-motorised traffic, especially now that the Council are slashing budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

That's fine if the cylists actually use the cycle lanes (they often don't as seen coming over the Quincentenial Bridge and the road between the Headford and Tuam Roads), and as long as pedestrians know to expect two way cyclists on a one-way street (in case they step out in front of a cyclist, just like they do now on the one way streets).

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Ah... actually, there is residential parking on raven terrace, I have a resident's permit that allows me to park there. The council have to cater for the people who live in the city as well as those who pass through on their morning/evening school/work run.

To call it a "Big overhaul" is something of an exaggeration, i can't see how it does anything but move the problem onto Fairhill/Monroe's corner.

Repainting the yellow box outside the fire station and a guard handing out tickets to the drivers coming from salthill who ignore the lights would be a start.

lion_bar wrote: »
    Ah... actually, there is residential parking on raven terrace, I have a resident's permit that allows me to park there.
    I should have been more specific - meant to say its not "purely residential parking". Part of the problem here in Galway city is that the Council will not issue Residential parking permits for a street unless it is a Pay and Display street. Then residents have to compete for parking on these streets with non-residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Fey! wrote: »
    That's fine if the cylists actually use the cycle lanes (they often don't as seen coming over the Quincentenial Bridge and the road between the Headford and Tuam Roads), and as long as pedestrians know to expect two way cyclists on a one-way street (in case they step out in front of a cyclist, just like they do now on the one way streets).
    Part of the problem with the bridge and the New Rd is the fact that pedestrians do walk on the cycle lane quite a lot, it is also not marked very well so if you are not from here you might think it is part of the footpath. I have on more then one occasion seen cyclists cycling on the road which is quite dangerous as cars then have to switch lanes to overtake them. Another problem on these cycle paths is the fact that you start and end up at a roundabout which is lethal for cyclists. There are not even adequate crossings at them so I think that using these cycle lanes as an example for use does not give a clear representation of what cycle lanes could do for cyclists. Cycle lanes throughout Galway City Centre could see a lot more people swapping the car for a bike which in turn would reduce traffic for cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

If the Gardai in Dublin catch a cyclist going the wrong way up a one way street they will stop them and fine them there and then. I know as a cyclist it might be easy to give false details etc but at least they are being proactive about it. Down here the Guards would hardly notice:rolleyes:

I'm all for cyclists, but there's a shocking number of them in Galway who like to cycle on footpaths even when the road surface is ok, rgardless of there being many pedestrians on the footpath to whom their weaving etc poses a danger. Some also favour crossing at pedestrian crossings even tho they remain on their bike. Cyclists like this need a good kick up the behind IMO; I saw a cyclist nearly flatten an old lady on the footpath over the weekend and it was not pretty to watch. I realize some motorists are not angels but this kind of cyclist behaviour should not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

If the Gardai in Dublin catch a cyclist going the wrong way up a one way street they will stop them and fine them there and then. I know as a cyclist it might be easy to give false details etc but at least they are being proactive about it. Down here the Guards would hardly notice:rolleyes:

I'm all for cyclists, but there's a shocking number of them in Galway who like to cycle on footpaths even when the road surface is ok, rgardless of there being many pedestrians on the footpath to whom their weaving etc poses a danger. Some also favour crossing at pedestrian crossings even tho they remain on their bike. Cyclists like this need a good kick up the behind IMO; I saw a cyclist nearly flatten an old lady on the footpath over the weekend and it was not pretty to watch. I realize some motorists are not angels but this kind of cyclist behaviour should not be tolerated.
    The lack of enforcement is a huge problem. We could really do with the Gardai enforcing traffic laws across the board for everyone.

There is no reason for an adult cyclist to be on a footpath and there are plenty who don't understand the problems of doing so. Crossing at pedestrian crossings while on a bike can definitely cause problems. That said I do it when I'm crossing, from the cycle paths, at the pedestrians crossings on the Font and Morris roundabouts on the N6 if there aren't any pedestrians around (dismount otherwise). The situation isn't helped by the fact that engineers in the city council hold the view that cyclists should become pedestrians at junctions. This is instead of catering properly and safely for cyclists being on road at junctions. You also see the problem in the design of cycle paths around the city e.g.

It's worth raising both of these issues (cyclists on footpaths and at pedestrians crossings) with councillors. They do get raised by the cycling campaign but it's easy to ignore one group - more people highlight the issues.

Another problem on these cycle paths is the fact that you start and end up at a roundabout which is lethal for cyclists. There are not even adequate crossings at them so I think that using these cycle lanes paths as an example for use does not give a clear representation of what cycle lanes could do for cyclists. Cycle lanes throughout Galway City Centre could see a lot more people swapping the car for a bike which in turn would reduce traffic for cars.

The solution here is to remove the "Cycle PATHS" and put in Cycle Lanes on the Bridge. No longer have pedestrian conflicts and cyclists maintain priority approaching junctions but roundabouts are a major problem for cyclists and pedestrians. This solution would also stop cyclists "salmon cycling" on the Cycle Paths.

• Advertisement

ciotog wrote: »
    The lack of enforcement is a huge problem. We could really do with the Gardai enforcing traffic laws across the board for everyone.

True. Footpath cycling and motor vechicles breaking red lights (when they turn amber) in Galway City is a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The council have just voted to remove the public right-of-way at Burke's Lane, and now they're proposing to re-open it? WTF? Make ye're mind up!

They could rename it to 'Rape Lane' I guess if they re-open it. Maybe i'm being a little harsh? Ah well in fairness, it'll be a nice place for large groups to go drinking/smashing their bottles of buckie before heading into town, and intimidate most of the people living above them while they're at it.

Nice one City Council :rolleyes:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    The council have just voted to remove the public right-of-way at Burke's Lane, and now they're proposing to re-open it? WTF? Make ye're mind up!

They could rename it to 'Rape Lane' I guess if they re-open it. Maybe i'm being a little harsh? Ah well in fairness, it'll be a nice place for large groups to go drinking/smashing their bottles of buckie before heading into town, and intimidate most of the people living above them while they're at it.

Nice one City Council :rolleyes:

Interesting observation regarding removing the public right-of-way at Burke's Lane.
    I believe they plan to push traffic around that very lane. Build a road between Burkes Lane and Munster Av and then create a One Way system all around that block of buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I had to look up "gyratory", and I'm still not sure what it means, especially in this situation.

How will it work in practice? Is there any documentation describing this grand plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

My apartment is overlooking that funeral home.

Balls.

My apartment is overlooking that funeral home.

Balls.

It could be worse, eg being in a funeral home overlooking an apartment block...

There is circumstantial and anecdotal evidence to suggest that both the Council and AGS deliberately turn a blind eye to footpath cycling for reasons of convenience.

IMO they are happy to let cyclists travel unimpeded on the footpaths, rather than actually tackle the underlying problems in any meaningful, sincere and sustainable way.

Cycling on the pavement is just another Irish solution to an Irish problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Everyone is culpable here. You have pedestrians walking in cycle lanes, cyclists cycling on paths, vehicle drivers beeping and hurling abuse at cyclists when they cycle on the roads and hold up traffic, cyclists completely ignoring traffic lights, dangerous roads that make cyclists cycle on footpaths, less direct routes for cyclists to take, not enough cycle lanes etcetc.

The problem here is not cyclists, drivers or pedestrians, it's bad city planning and a complete unwillingness to do anything meaningful about it. If the city was given enough facilities to allow everyone to travel around the place safely then we wouldn't have to cross paths as much and piss each other off all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

they already have Burke's Lane turned into a road in the development plan... http://www.galwaycity.ie/CityDevelopmentPlan/city/mapfr039.html ...CAD is great isn't it!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
Advertisement