Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we commemorate the Easter Rising rather than December the 6th?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Jim236 wrote: »
    So you would've supported Unionist militias taking up arms with the help of the British Army in fighting against the implementation of Home Rule which would've been achieved by peaceful and democratic means?

Dunno about the North, but I would have fought against the rebels here in Dublin, that's for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

LordSutch wrote: »
    As a Southerner, I would have voted for Home Rule (26 counties only). The North was never going to be ruled by Dublin, 'Home Rule' (on an island wide basis) was Rome Rule in their opinion, and they were right . . .
    yes the north gave us a protestant land for protestant people.a big reason that so many of them stayed at home from ww2 was to stop catholics taking the jobs.no wonder ni gov favoured conscription,most of protestants had taken up war manufacturing,leaving catholics to bear brunt of the draft.how many protestants in south after ww2 were discriminated from work&housing,education?you swear that irish prods were utterly liberal

Dunno about the North, but I would have fought against the rebels here in Dublin, that's for sure.
    and during war of independence? you would have stopped at home rule,and not for complete independence and separation at a latter point(few constitutionist ever made that clear before 1916), despite a majority in favour?if so why?really be honest,

Short answer, we should have stayed connected to Britain in one way or another, (devolved politically and/or commonwealth) but fighting against Britain in the 'so called' war of independence could never be an option for some of us . . . .

And what about you walrusgumble? where, and what would you have been up to during the Rising? Would you have been a Rebel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Short answer, we should have stayed connected to Britain in one way or another, (devolved politically and/or commonwealth) but fighting against Britain in the 'so called' war of independence could never be an option for us. And what about you? where and what would you have been doing the Rising? Would you have been a rebel?

You're dodging the issue here. Despite your repeated posts condemning the Rising as pretty much a terrorist attack, you're saying you would've wholeheartedly supported Unionist militias taking up arms against the introduction of Home Rule, despite the fact it would've come about through peaceful and democratic means and was supported by the majority of Ireland (which wasn't partitioned at the time).

You're a complete hypocrite.

• Advertisement

Short answer, we should have stayed connected to Britain in one way or another, (devolved politically and/or commonwealth) but fighting against Britain in the 'so called' war of independence could never be an option for us. And what about you? where and what would you have been doing the Rising? Would you have been a rebel?
    like most probably followed mcneills counter command, as my great uncle did.i dont know what i would have done.would i be brave/stupid to die,be at peace with killing.i dont know it would have depended on my background.my family were involved in the tan war.some regretted it, others did not.i'm proud of,same they fecked it up after getting independence. considering what the tans did to irish towns and cities and quashed the dail,you have a nerve to belittle that period.indepedence,fair enough but even the brits recognised it was war.you really are a self hating irish person

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Short answer, we should have stayed connected to Britain in one way or another

We are

You're dodging the issue here. Despite your repeated posts condemning the Rising as pretty much a terrorist attack, you're saying you would've wholeheartedly supported Unionist militias taking up arms against the introduction of Home Rule, despite the fact it would've come about through peaceful and democratic means and was supported by the majority of Ireland (which wasn't partitioned at the time).

Where did I say that ^

Short answer, we should have stayed connected to Britain in one way or another, (devolved politically and/or commonwealth) but fighting against Britain in the 'so called' war of independence could never be an option for some of us . . . .

And what about you walrusgumble? where, and what would you have been up to during the Rising? Would you have been a Rebel?
    whilst sf got huge once in alife time support in 1918 due to labour's stance&constricption in party was clear(after irb infilration) that it sought complete separation.its mandate was returned in 1920 (despite the attacks in jan 1919)the fighting would not have lasted 6 months without at least the people's backing (& brits making it worse)the 'spirit' of 1916 came to force again when dev ripped the treaty after c.na.ng work at the imperial conferences .this would have been done without a majority of the public & will for .there's little to show what redmond or parnell would have done -or were they too clever?

Where did I say that ^
    As a Southerner, I would have voted for Home Rule (26 counties only). The North was never going to be ruled by Dublin, 'Home Rule' (on an island wide basis) was Rome Rule in their opinion, and they were right . . .

I've put it to you 3 times now, so if you're taking issue with what I said above then you can clarify it now. Would you have supported armed Unionist militias in opposing the introduction of Home Rule?

• Advertisement

We are
    yes, that little thing called the eec.you know we went in together,helped each other fill out the form,all despite the north&that echr case on prisoners treatment.my god southern unionists who claimed nationalists lived in the past is really pot kettle & black.again, lets discuss modern reasons for an alternative to the eu.afterall, if uk left eu,we might do likewise-might.(there's still the eea&oced)commonwealth is not the answer.we are european,not african or asian

I've put it to you 3 times now, so if you're taking issue with what I said above then you can clarify it now. Would you have supported armed Unionist militias in opposing the introduction of Home Rule?

I would have supported Home Rule in the 26 counties, (the North could only ever do its own thing), with devolved power from London and with a possible view to total political independence in the following decades (peacefully obtained of course). Getting back to the Easter rising for one moment, I had several family mambers who got caught up in the events that Easter, my grandad (a postman) was held up and had his post bag taken at gunpoint, a brother of his was in the police, we had other connections too - none on the Rebel side.

I would have supported Home Rule in the 26 counties

Thats not an answer. Ireland wasn't partitioned at the time, so your answer has to be in a 32 county context.

So again, would you have supported armed Unionist militias in opposing Home Rule?

I would have supported Home Rule in the 26 counties

FFS, It is impossible to say what you would have supported 90+ years ago

Thats not an answer. Ireland wasn't partitioned at the time, so your answer has to be in a 32 county context.

So again, would you have supported armed Unionist militias in opposing Home Rule?

Well, as the Glaswegian has just said in Post#105 "It is impossible to say what I would have supported 90+ years ago".

Me tired, goodnight all.

Well, as the Glaswegian has just said

Hey, I'm a Dub.... Honorary Weegie though!!

FFS, It is impossible to say what you would have supported 90+ years ago

most sensible post by far! nothing worse than bastoolers who never took up a gun in their life either(thank god).

Well, as the Glaswegian has just said in Post#105 "It is impossible to say what I would have supported 90+ years ago".

Me tired, goodnight all.
    ah come back.point out the facts& myths of 1916 as you put it (in another post would help)

Me tired, goodnight all.

You seemed fairly sure of what you would've supported before their post.

Thanks for clarifying your hypocrisy though!:)

Advertisement