Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Claims Bonus as a named driver. . . confused!

Options
  • 14-04-2011 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey. . .

I have been a named driver on my mothers insurance policy with two years now. . .just bought my first car and going taking out my own insurance policy. . .

Just wondering will my two years of driving claims free stand to me when taking out insurance or will it not count as i have only been a named driver. . .

Also anyone experience with tesco car insurance? their quotes seem to be really cheap. . is there a catch?? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Will count untill you earn a discount in your own name ie) will count for this year but wont count next year as you will have 1 year on your policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CosmoBaaaby

Okay cool thanks! Thats good to know. . . will make my insurance a bit cheaper. . . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

All prob operate differently but with FBD my 4 years named driving counted towards 2 yrs worth of NCB discount on my own policy.

Im looking at the tesco car insurance. . . im being quoted €486 compared to nearly €800 with different insurers. . . but im hearing you need a no claims bonus to get insured with them . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

AXA took my NCB then asked if i had any names driver experience.. 4 years got me another few quid off my quote..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

OP, all insurance companies will treat your named driving experience differently....there is no rule there as such in this regard. Some will treat 5 years claims free as a named driver as the equivalent of one year in your own name, more it might be 7, with more its probably less. It would just seem to be one of these things thats at the disgression of the individual insurance companies.

Regarding Tesco motor insurance, RSA are the underwriters. I'm actually insured with RSA insurance through a broker. When I heard that RSA are the underwriters of Tesco motor insurance, curiosity killed the cat and I went online to get a quote. Banged in the same particulars as at my last renewal and low and behold Tesco were more expensive so they are obviosly charging a higher brokerage fee...absolutely no surprises there on the part of Tesco anyway. In my earlier days of driving Hibernian were the underwriters for Tesco insurance. One renewal time I got a quote of Tesco and then went direct to Hibernian. Hibernian themselves were considerably cheaper, again same particulars and exact same level of cover.

OP, I can provide you with contact numbers of two other brokers who deal with RSA insurance if you so wish. Feel free to ask and I will PM them to you! By the way unlike the likes of FBD or Quinn Direct, RSA will not quote you directly, they only operate through brokers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You can't use it as a real no claims bonus but it might help a bit. It wouldn't be correct to fill in 2 years in the no claims bonus box.

Ya johndaman66 if you could that would be great thanks!! :)

Cosmobaaaby just sent you on by pm, a couple of numbers for brokers who deal with RSA. Hope they will be of some assistance to you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cosmobaaaby just sent you on by pm, a couple of numbers for brokers who deal with RSA. Hope they will be of some assistance to you;)

Could you pm me those details as well please :D

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Could you pm me those details as well please :D

vectra I've pm'd contact details for 2 insurance brokers to you.

Hmmm, I think I should be charging RSA commission for this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭vectra

vectra I've pm'd contact details for 2 insurance brokers to you.

Hmmm, I think I should be charging RSA commission for this:D

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

ut im hearing you need a no claims bonus to get insured with them . .

I was told You need 2 yrs NCB before they'll give You a quote but on two other posts on this forum people said this was not the case. I'd be interested to know how You get on.

Advertisement