Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Smiles PAL release

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

Thanks blag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭ondafly

Gave this a whirl online earlier, and ended up with someone who a) didn't seem to understand there were more attacks than 'turbo fire' (missing the fact there was in-depth scoring system in the process) and b) would use bombs at the mere sight of pink. I think it was when I was swearing at the TV that said individual wasn't using homing shot on the floating islands or laser shot during the ballroom bit in the castle that I figured out I may have been taking it too seriously :pac:

Also, I take back my statement that the imagery wasn't that objectionable. Hadn't seen the 'Bath Time!' ending at that point :P

I had quite the opposite experience with some random player. Great game, and I nearly managed to score 2million (big score for me) on the final boss, before getting hit my a barrage of bullets. There was also a slight smug factor :pac: when you would manage to duck and dive bullets with the other player getting smacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Is it just me or is Rosa blatantly the best character?

Just got the game yesterday and after a quick mess around with each character she seems to obliterate bosses in half the time (on the default difficulty they're lucky to get halfway through their attack pattern) with no obvious downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Is it just me or is Rosa blatantly the best character?

In general terms she's the best for sure but she has her drawbacks that become obvious when trying for bigger scores.

Her familiar is pretty weak overall compared to some of the others, especially for her lock shot (you need to face her away from what you need to lock shot for more items from certain ememies/obstacles eg floating islands on forest stage or gravestones in the graveyard).

Ah, so beginner survivalist character then.

I thought lock shot was kindof useless but I did notice enemies that didn't drop good items via spread/focus shots, would have tried it out if I wasn't usually sitting on 1000 for the powerup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lock shot is handy against certain enemies - floating islands especially give out a tonne of bonuses when lock shotted - but it's a bit awkward to use for sure. Can be handy against some of the bosses though to take them down quickly.

Don't know who my favourite character is actually, don't know them in-depth enough yet. Would probably go for Casper if I had to choose.

I've been liking Casper for her SLOOOOOOW focus speed as it's handy for navigating dense streams but I seem to end up needing it more as her shot doesn't kill things quickly enough to prevent them from flooding the screen.Even the thick part of her laser pales in comparison to Rosa's ridiculous screen clearling barrage.

The cow in particular seems to take very little damage from her shots, its rather strange.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can get extremely close to Jitterbug on one credit now, was just a few thousand points away from the second extend. Definitely gotten better - scoring system has just clicked all of a sudden.

Also - Mega Black Label 1.1 is frickin' hilarious. Knocked it up to level 3 and somehow got my score to jump up to like 280 million or something in two levels :pac: Scoring items everywhere. Definitely an easier scoring system to get a grasp off than some of the other Cave games - even after studying replays in depth I hadn't the foggiest how the combo system in Espgaluda II worked!

I've been surviving alright but I can't score at all, can almost 1CC but always end up somewhere in the 30 millions.

If you want to boost your score start at the town at level 2 or 3 (be sure you come out with counter at 1000) then do volcano at level 3, either power up straight away and milk the rocks or power up after the big ogre where there's a central pillar thing and green eyeballs where you can get massive score from the eyeballs and the rocks after.

You should come out of the stage with around 40m, getting an extend at 20m and you'll be close to the second extend of 45m.

• Advertisement

Yeah knock it up to level three on any levels you're comfortable with - town is a piece of cake on level 3. Find volcano a bit of a pain in the hole, but even level 2 gives you crazy multipliers.

Forest is the only other majorly tricky core level for me, although locking on to the floating islands gives you excellent multipliers. Vine patterns near the end are a bitch though.

I'd been milking the volcano already but going lvl 3 on more stages helped as most aren't actually that much harder. Got ahead of myself and accidently triggered death mode though. :pac:

Using power-up in areas with a floor to scoop up all the items after they split makes a big difference too, graveyard is great for it.

Scores up into the 50's of millions now, and thats with the death mode screw-up.

Thing is nearly every time I try to play score attack to register my score it just bloody cuts me off, even though the Xbox itself seems perfectly happy that there's been no break in connection. You guys experience anything similar? I'm stuck using wireless but I don't see why the game should register a loss in connection when the console firmware doesn't.

Yeah, I get disconnected from score attack a lot, so much so that I don't bother with it much anymore. I've heard from some other people that it's a fairly common issue.

To avoid activating death mode I usually start at town level 2,volcano 3,forest 2,graveyard 3, lake 3,swamp 3. Yields a decent score without deathmode. Only thing is I've kind of levelled off around 150m so am gonna have to start doing forest 3 and facing the suicide bullets to up my scores.

1cced with Rosa there, 60 million but there were a few level 1s in there. Close call though - got the secret half life bar, no bombs achievement too!

Can't seem to get my scores registered at all. Most of mine are far better than all but the top one on the 360 mode leaderboards!

Bleah, I was on for a Rosa 1CC a couple minutes ago aswell, except I made a couple stupid screw-ups against 'Bug then lost my credit to the very ****ing last bullet of the last pattern from the man himself.

Literally had to press start and hold fire for a second to finish him, sickener. :pac:

Noticed he was a bit harder than before, a couple of his patterns were actually firing off simultaniously which didn't help, does the extra no-miss difficulty apply to your whole first credit rather than just before losing your first chunk of life?

Ah well, 61 million and I know I can do better - progress!

Problem with Jitterbug are his patterns are so frickin' unpredictable. Obviously you could learn them off, but the gaps and patterns are far less clearcut than the other bosses. The unpredictability of the bullets is what gets me, the waves flying all over the place. I ended up using bombs on him because I still had a few energy bars left, felt a bit dirty doing it though :( Wanted that cake! The pattern that gets me particularly are the weird alternate pink bullet waves he sends at you (the ones that go down the corner and then disperse). I can usually squeeze through the first one or two streams but by the third my reaction times aren't quite fast enough to find that perfect gap through them.

If you use the lock shot against Jitterbug you can usually kill him reasonably quickly.

If you have less than 2 full life bars empty when he drops the big cake you have enough time to bomb tyrannosatan and suicide before collecting it. It doesn't disappear until he starts throwing out the boxes (hate that bit!)

Can't seem to get my scores registered at all. Most of mine are far better than all but the top one on the 360 mode leaderboards!

If you haven't done canyon you might need to filter the leaderboards by ex: off.

Have being glued to this the past week, specifically v1.1 and MBL 1.1.

Showing gradual improvements in both. Going for the Level 3 all-clear achievement in 1.1 standard, but the Gorge is the troublesome part of the mix! Have cleared the six standard stages on one credit, but keep on getting knocked out in EX :(

And the boss in Ice Palace is giving me a bit of trouble in MBL. Got to just under 20 billion there but his second set of patterns (last quarter of his health or so) is crazy hard to dodge!

Advertisement