Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get basic German and quick?!

Options
  • 16-02-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I have been offered a job in Germany starting in August. It would be a really good move for me in terms of my career and the actual job would be English speaking but I'd obviously need to be able to speak some German to live over there. But I know none!

Is 6-7 months enough time to get some level of ability? Can anyone recommend a plan of action for me? Thanks so much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 missymoo2011

German is one of the easiest languages to pick up, in my opinion and languages wouldn't be my strongest point! Try to pick up a basic language book and learn off basic phrases. Speak to your self if it helps and watch as many german language movies as possible(run lola run, good bye lenin and the counterfeiters are all really good!). Listen to german radio and try and speak to as many germans as possible! Also use internet sites to help! If you could get some one to learn with you it would help you're conversational german ALOT!

Hope this helps! Just try and make it fun and learn whats most use to you! I would say you could pick up good enough quality german within 6 months!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

You should try German grinds, some kind of a crash course including the most important sentences and words?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

If you happen to live in Dublin you could do an evening class at the Goethe Institut:

http://www.goethe.de/ins/ie/dub/lrn/deu/enindex.htm

Or elsewhere you could ask around for evening classes in local colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

You might want to take a look here >>> Deutsche Welle

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

sitstill wrote: »
    Is 6-7 months enough time to get some level of ability? Can anyone recommend a plan of action for me? Thanks so much

pm'd ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

sitstill wrote: »
    I have been offered a job in Germany starting in August. It would be a really good move for me in terms of my career and the actual job would be English speaking but I'd obviously need to be able to speak some German to live over there. But I know none!

If you gave a couple of grand and no big overheads in Ireland, book a course with Goethe in Germany. 2 months will get you passed the b1 zertifikat deutsch and 5 will get you very very competent. I think it's around 3. Grand or so for the 8 weeks, including accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres some online resources for learning german here at deutsche welle (german version of bbc world service):
    http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,2547,00.html

they stream >1500 on demand videos in german here:
    http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,4753,00.html

Turning your ear into the language is probably the most important step to get right.
    And, hearing german in use you will pick up the common bits that are important, and if you focus in on getting a framework correct, then you just need to improve your vocab later.

(aside....
    sometimes I think that learning german is like doing an advanced drivers course before doing normal driving lessons, i.e. too much to soon which distracts from the very very basics.
    German in normal use, in the pub etc is far from the crazy conditional stuff needed to discuss politics or your feelings on hypotetical invasions by aliens from space)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

Warst wohl zum Fasching?:D
    theres some online resources for learning german here at deutsche welle (german version of bbc world service):
    http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,2547,00.html

Drei Beiträge vorher:
    You might want to take a look here >>> Deutsche Welle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

your feelings on hypotetical invasions by aliens from space)
    Thank you for the links, however given Ireland's Eurovision entry of Jedward, the alien invasion has already begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Frisian wrote: »
    Drei Beiträge vorher:
    bugger.
    Bin blind!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

goethe institut does an intensive summer course. I love the place so I would highly recommend it

Advertisement