Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs england

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

mikeruurds wrote: »
    Sorry guys. Big fan of Ireland and would like them to do well, but I think England have a little too much fire power.

Would love the boys to prove me wrong.

I'm a fool. A happy fool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Awesome triumphalism from the Off the Ball lads at the moment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

No
    hahaha can you smell the sour grapes. typical english every time they lose excuse after excuse after excuse. even the clowns on sky sports were focusing on the mistakes england made etc. suck it up boys..

Don't really think it is sour grapes is it? They only just beat Holland the game before last, a team nowhere near as good as Ireland, they were beaten 6 - 1 in their last one day series against Australia. England are average at best in 50 over game. Dropped catch after catch and fielded and bowled terribly in this World Cup, thats not excuses thats facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

No
    dooferoaks wrote: »
    Don't really think it is sour grapes is it? They only just beat Holland the game before last, a team nowhere near as good as Ireland, they were beaten 6 - 1 in their last one day series against Australia. England are average at best in 50 over game. Dropped catch after catch and fielded and bowled terribly in this World Cup, thats not excuses thats facts.

sorry but im still getting that sour grape stench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Yes, acknowledged, but fact of the matter is that Ireland chased 328 with a 162 5th wicket partnership and won.

• Advertisement

No

Indeed, so what would you consider not to be sour grapes? Would you like us to pretend England are, in fact, the greatest Cricket team in the world, that they played at the top of their game, in a faultless display, and didn't stink against Holland and didn't lose 6 - 1 in their last series? OK so, thats what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

No sour grapes and sorry if it came across that way. You can understand that as delighted as your fans were, I was as angry and frustrated!

Fantastic win for you and a really exciting run chase, as a lover of cricket I have no problem in admitting that.

However, saying that, England really were atrocious with the ball and in the field, and questions will be asked. We have fallen short in ODIs for a long time. Questions need to be asked, but I understand starting that debate in this thread wasnt the place.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭mike2084

No
    Does this bring back the question of test status again? If we had done this 12years ago we'd have got it by now.

Does this bring back the question of test status again? If we had done this 12years ago we'd have got it by now.
    Yeah but I think Bangladesh's dire first decade of test cricket is the cause of so much skepticism towards the idea of any other associates being admitted.

It's a sad reality that Ireland are fighting for their future in the world cup, and not for admission into test ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

Not until we set up a four day national league/tournament of some sort. I believe we are stronger in the 50 over game than bangladesh were when they got test status. It needs to happen soon if its going to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭looseygoosey

pity cricket is so boring and unskilfull..................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Joxer dreamt they both agreed on Alan Lewis straightaway,
    And that Dunlop, Duffy and O'brien were certainly to play
    But tempers they began to rise and patience wearing thin
    Simmons wanted Jonny Elder, Joxer, Dougie Goodwin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I wonder what that traitor Morgan is thinking now?? Good riddance to that traitor. We don't need you and never will.

Fanstastic win from the boys. So proud of ye.

Kevin setting a world record. Unbelieveable

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What an unreal result. I went to bed during the early stages of our batting (twas late over here) and I'll admit to not giving us a prayer.

Gutted I didn't see it but I'll be looking for a replay on Fox to watch/record. If more people cared about cricket it would be our nation's greatest sporting achievement imo.

NickDrake wrote: »
    I wonder what that traitor Morgan is thinking now?? Good riddance to that traitor. We don't need you and never will.

Shut up.
    Seriously, don't spoil real fans enjoyment with that ignorant crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

tut tut,that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Feel the same way about Ed Joyce I take it? :pac:

No

I'm sure hes disappointed he couldn't play and pleased for Ireland, but thats probably not what you want to hear. Offer him the choice again now, after todays game, he will make the same decision, his ambition is to play Test Cricket, he can't do that with Ireland. If you recall, thats why Joyce played for England for a while. If he was playing Test Cricket for England, he would still be playing in blue not green in the one-dayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Bandwaggoning fool.. Was this your first cricket match? Do you understand how the international game is structured? What about Joyce, he a traitor as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

No

your obviously on the wrong thread.

btw; i had a similar viewpoint a few years ago before i actually watched a game i tuned into the last world cup ireland were playing and thoroughly enjoyed it and have kept an eye on the ireland team and players ever since. i do think the test games can be a bit tedious alright though, the odi's are far from boring today being exhibit A

• Advertisement

Bandwaggoning fool.. Was this your first cricket match? Do you understand how the international game is structured? What about Joyce, he a traitor as well?
    and the question is raised....

How can Ireland develop as a cricketing nation and attain Test status if the top players continue to do the same as Morgan?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭mike2084

No
    It's a sad reality that Ireland are fighting for their future in the world cup, and not for admission into test ranks.

I would like to think that it will now be very difficult for the ICC for completely remove associates from the World Cup now given both Ireland's and the Netherlands performances at this tournament.

How can Ireland develop as a cricketing nation and attain Test status if the top players continue to do the same as Morgan?

We have a thread for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

No
    I dunno if the ICC would actually consider this but a two-tiered test system could be looked at. You could have us along with Zim, Bang, WI and possibly NZ considering these teams generally struggle against the top test teams over 5 days.

The lads need to kick on from this result, as great as it was. A couple of trouncings against India and SA would make for an anticlimax. Realistically, they'd need a performance even greater than that seen earlier to beat either of these sides so I think they'll be targeting the WI game. A loss against the Dutch would obviously be disappointing. 3 wins would give us a chance of progressing.

No

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055904382

That thread has pages of discussion. Its a good point, but going on about it here spoils a thread on Irelands ?greatest result in their history.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A short report from one of our site members lucky enough to be there today

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/forum/showpost.php?p=274522&postcount=117588

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

btw; i had a similar viewpoint a few years ago before i actually watched a game i tuned into the last world cup ireland were playing and thoroughly enjoyed it

I really hope this match encourages people to actually watch a game and not just write cricket off as a pointless game with stupid rules.
    Irelands ?greatest result in their history.

Probably, certainly the most high profile one.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭looseygoosey

but can anyone think of a more boring gam than cricket in fairness its like watching paint dry.I wouldnt mind if it was skilfull or energetic but oh no....

ye actually should be ashamed of yourself for liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

but can anyone think of a more boring gam than cricket in fairness its like watching paint dry.I wouldnt mind if it was skilfull or energetic but oh no....

ye actually should be ashamed of yourself for liking it.

Seriously, fuck off.

'Ireland' is currently trending in Australia on Twitter and it's still the early hours here (4.14am in Perth) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Are there highlights of this match on tv tonight or online?

Well done to the lads, what a performance!

Advertisement