Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islam vs Atheism, UCD Thursday 17th Feb

Options
  • 18-02-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭

I forgot this was on last night It was a debate between Michael Nugent of AI and Hamza Andreas Tzortiz. Anyone go?
    (facebook pager here)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

"Islam Vs Atheism! Which is right?" Debate
    What a stupid motion on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The results will be as significant as a fart in a hurricane.

And the debate as subtle as a wet fart in an echo chamber.

I need to poop, this topic is making me queasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Can't see Facebook from here, moar details!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Dades wrote: »
    What a stupid motion on so many levels.

To be honest, they left out the "Which is right" part on the ucd posters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Islam Vs Atheism!
    Spokesman for a deity who isn't there versus a spokesman who doesn't think there's a deity.

How on earth could you explain this to somebody new to religion?

• Advertisement

Can't see Facebook from here, moar details!

okay:
    One of the biggest ISOC's in Ireland Vs one of the top 5 student societies in Ireland ie the literary & historical (L&H) SOC!

Motion: Islam Vs Atheism: Which is Right?

Time: 7pm, Thursday 17th February 2011
    Venue: Theatre P, Arts Block, UCD

Speakers: Hamza Andreas Tzortiz vs. Micheal Nugent

Speaker Bio
    Hamza Andreas Tzortzis is an international public speaker on Islam, a writer and researcher. He has debated prominent intellectuals and academics. Some of his interlocutors include the leading humanist and best selling author Peter Cave, the editor of the Philosophy Now mazagine Rick Lewis and the highly acclaimed Professor Simon Blackburn. More recently Hamza debated one of the leading American atheists and secular activists Dr. Ed Buckner, the president of American Atheists.

Micheal Nugent (Head of Atheist Ireland)

Michael Nugent (born 1 June 1961) is an Irish writer and activist. He has written or co-written five books and the comedy musical play I, Keano. He has campaigned on many political issues, and he is chairperson of the advocacy group Atheist Ireland. He argues that atheism provides a better model of reality, and a better basis for morality, than believing in gods; that atheists can enjoy the benefits that many people get from religion, without the harmful effects; and that the state should be secular, promoting neither religion nor atheism. He writes a blog about happiness and atheism, and he supports Bohemians and Leeds United football clubs.

Here is Hamzas blog, which contains his popular arguments (against the likes of Dawkins, liberalism and "the problem of evil"). I wish I could have gone to the debate, as reading some of his arguments (he blames the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima on secularism) it would have been a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

That IS a stupid motion.
    False Di...cot...am...y?

robindch wrote: »
    Spokesman for a deity who isn't there versus a spokesman who doesn't think there's a deity.

How on earth could you explain this to somebody new to religion?

Its like if George Lucas and Stephen Hawkins had a debate on exactly how big a spaceship Yoda could raise from a swamp, by using the force

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Damn I was actually finishing up my visit to the campus at 7, that would have been entertaining!
    Ridiculous debate, arguing on two completely different wavelengths

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Its like if George Lucas and Stephen Hawkins had a debate on exactly how big a spaceship Yoda could raise from a swamp, by using the force

Brilliant Analogy! I hope you don't mind me stealing this for future use.:D

• Advertisement

Malty_T wrote: »
    Brilliant Analogy! I hope you don't mind me stealing this for future use.:D

No problem :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Here is Hamzas blog, which contains his popular arguments (against the likes of Dawkins, liberalism and "the problem of evil").

I was hoping, since he seems well regarded, that the arguments would be a bit better than usual, but unfortunately they seem to be the same old tripe.

For example, his argument on the problem of evil basically boils down to saying God has to allow us to do bad things and it is good that God punishes us for doing bad things, and we cannot question God's wisdom. All arguments that has been torn to pieces many places include this forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wicknight wrote: »
    I was hoping, since he seems well regarded, that the arguments would be a bit better than usual, but unfortunately they seem to be the same old tripe.

For example, his argument on the problem of evil basically boils down to saying God has to allow us to do bad things and it is good that God punishes us for doing bad things, and we cannot question God's wisdom. All arguments that has been torn to pieces many places include this forum.

Sometimes it seems like so much twisting about to justify something you already believe but pretend you're starting from nothing.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't think the motion is as bad as people are suggesting. Usually in god debates, it ends up being a Christian on one side arguing that god exists from a Christian perspective, versus an atheist on the other side arguing that there is no god.

This motion suggests the same kind of adversarial setup, only from a Muslim perspective.

As long as god debates steer clear of wishy-washy "can religion sometimes be good in certain circumstances?" motions, I'm a happy guy.

Anyone record this, no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wicknight wrote: »
    For example, his argument on the problem of evil basically boils down to saying God has to allow us to do bad things and it is good that God punishes us for doing bad things, and we cannot question God's wisdom.
    AKA - the Mysterious Ways argument. It's the inevitable end point in a debate about any of the main religions.*

* To get there quicker just mention volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

I'll be debating Hamza again this evening at 6.30 pm in the Royal College of Surgeons on York Street, off Stephens Green.

The topic for this evening is The God Delusion or Solution?

We're recording them all on video, and we'll have them online next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nice one Michael. How did you think the debate went last night?

I thought it was interesting, but it's hard to address so many issues properly in one session.

We covered the nature of atheism, the creation of the universe, intervening gods, sources of morality, scientific claims in the Quran, and the morality of the Quran versus natural morality.

I thought it was interesting, but it's hard to address so many issues properly in one session.

We covered the nature of atheism, the creation of the universe, intervening gods, sources of morality, scientific claims in the Quran, and the morality of the Quran versus natural morality.

Sounds like it was a laugh a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sounds like it was a laugh a minute.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Same debate was on in NUIG on monday.

I'll be debating Hamza again this evening at 6.30 pm in the Royal College of Surgeons on York Street, off Stephens Green.

The topic for this evening is The God Delusion or Solution?

Hamza has written about Dawkins on his blog. It has all the usual nonsense of theists arguing against Dawkins (or evolution), eg the cosmological argument (:rolleyes:), God is the simplest concept in the universe (:rolleyes:), a complete lack of understanding of evolution (:rolleyes:), grand assertions about the universe needing god for order (:rolleyes:), objective morality (:rolleyes:) but with one or two new (to me), eg (direct quote) "anyone with a basic understanding of the philosophy of science will conclude that in the inference to the best explanation, the best explanation does not require an explanation!" as defence to the question of "if everything needs a designer, and god is our designer, who designed god?". (:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I,m rolling eye so much, I'm getting a headache).

After reading his blog, I'm actually half glad I haven't heard this guys talks, I think it would have turned out bad for my mental health.

Most of the RCSI debate (God Delusion or Solution?) is now online.

Part 1/4 Opening Address by Hamza Tzortzis
    http://youtu.be/c2BYKS5oM_I

Part 2/4 Opening Address by Michael Nugent
    http://youtu.be/SvzeGQj5ac8

Part 3/4 Moderator's Questions & Answers
    http://youtu.be/SpdkUByc61E

Part 4/4 Audience Questions and Answers
    will be online soon

Wow. His two arguments are that god makes sense of the beginning of the universe and the cosmological argument.

He justifies that god makes sense of the beginning of the universe" by using the big bang as evidence of the universe having a beginning (side note: does anyone think that our space time is actually eternal?) but then brings out the "everything that has a beginning has a cause, therefore the universe has a cause" nonsense. He admits that this isn't necessarily allah or jesus, but argues that it must be a monotheistic god because 1) Occam's razor says we should keep to the simplest number of gods,1, (no seriously, go to about 7.20 and listen), 2) the cause of the universe must be uncaused (problems with infinite regression, apparently), immaterial and transcendent (itself must be outside of time and space) and 3) must have will (an eternal extant thing doing something spontaneously must have chosen to do so).
    He counters quantum mechanical arguments against causality by claiming that the quantum vacuum isn't empty as it contains energy (as if the pre big bang state isn't believed to contain energy :rolleyes:) and that there are physicists moving away from non causal interpretations of QM.
    He counters the "what causes god?" argument by claiming that causality only applies to things that begin to exist and god is extant so it doesn't apply to him and by claiming that such a question denies our existence because it leads infinite regression of what causes the cause of our cause etc. (:confused: have no idea what the connection is between these points).
    He then tries to deal with causality being dependent on time by claiming that, philosophically, there is no consensus on the definition of causality and that time doesn't effect causes because some causes are simultaneous with their effects.
    I largely skipped through it, but the cosmological argument is exactly as inane as you'd expect and boils down to the universe fits us so well, therefore it must be made for us, with a little "change any universal constant even by a hairs breath and life wouldn't exist" sprinkled on. Basically he is thinking like a puddle remarking on the hole in the ground fitting him so well.

I was really really hoping for something new in his arguments, something I hadn't heard before and couldn't personally debunk just by pointing out the immediate internal contradictions, but his arguments were so full of face palm that you could plant them and get one of these:
    facepalm2.jpg
    I will watch the questions and answer section later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Part 2/4 Opening Address by Michael Nugent
    http://youtu.be/SvzeGQj5ac8

Part 3/4 Moderator's Questions & Answers
    http://youtu.be/SpdkUByc61E

Part 4/4 Audience Questions and Answers
    will be online soon
    Well done on your performance Michael.

Two points. With regards Moral right or wrong it might be a good idea to talk about how morality comes from evolution in that we evolved into moral species (to some extent) as it helped the species survive as a group - which is why there are animals out there that are also show moral behaviour and social structure e.g. gorillas etc. but yet they dont appear to have religions/beliefs in gods.

The second point I would like to make is that I think you did an excellent explanation at the end of the third video highlighting that Atheism is only a lack of belief in a god(s) in that both of you share a common disbelief in the same gods with the only difference being that atheists like yourself disbelieve in the other speaker's god too. I would go as far as to ask the other speaker do they believe in Thor etc. and if not, then why not? I think this is extremely important to point out to people so well done on that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

... argues that it must be a monotheistic god because 1) Occam's razor says we should keep to the simplest number of gods,...

I shouldn't have read that while drinking hot tea.
    I haven't looked at the clips, as I'm in work at the moment but... surely if you correctly applied Occam's razor, you would have to conclude that there is no god at all, as no scietific observation has shown any trace of one now, and no scientific theory requires one to work?

The audience questions and answers session from the God Delusion or Solution debate is now online.

http://youtu.be/zwxEanGmDxU

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The audience questions and answers session from the God Delusion or Solution debate is now online.

http://youtu.be/zwxEanGmDxU

"You're more likely to be better than an atheist"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

All 4 Also on Atheist Ireland... posted yesterday...

http://www.atheist.ie/category/atheism/

• Advertisement

Thanks for the analysis, Mark and Axer.

The first two videos of the UCD debate (Islam v Atheism: which is more reasonable?) are now online.

Some of it is similar to our debate in the RCSI on God Delusion or Solution, though this one also includes analysis of scientific and moral claims in the Quran.

Hamza Tzortzis Opening Address
    http://youtu.be/VF7nYlUZec8

Michael Nugent Opening Address
    http://youtu.be/h6KCWwPZ8dI

More to follow

Advertisement