Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griselinia hedge dying

Options
  • 20-01-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

I have a griselinia hedge that was planted 4 years ago. Last year it survived the severe weather and i thought it was doing so this year but in the last week it is dropping leaves. It is looking half bare at this point! Some cutting were taken recently by a gardener would this have caused a problem?
    Can i do anythhing to save it?
    Some of the leaves are charred looking but not all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I have a griselinia hedge that was planted 4 years ago. Last year it survived the severe weather and i thought it was doing so this year but in the last week it is dropping leaves. It is looking half bare at this point! Some cutting were taken recently by a gardener would this have caused a problem?
    Can i do anythhing to save it?
    Some of the leaves are charred looking but not all.

I have a 9 year old hedge which has been decimated by this years frost. The leaves have gone brown and dropped, its just a hedge of bare branches almost now. They say wait until spring - April/May and see if any growth starts sprouting. If so, hopefully it can be saved. Otherwise, cut it to the stumps and replant a new hedge in between the stumps in the autumn. I love grisilinia, but not sure if I should plant it again if this kind of weather is going to become more common. It can't take -10 or -12C temps for days/nights at a time like we had recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spokes

Had a mature hedge of 8 years and last winters frost killed it off but during the summer it began to grow up about 7" or so but after the winter just gone I see it has died off again.If the leaves have come off theres a good chance its dead.Sorry....! In future I will have to stick to a hardier hedge like Laurel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

spokes wrote: »
    Had a mature hedge of 8 years and last winters frost killed it off but during the summer it began to grow up about 7" or so but after the winter just gone I see it has died off again.If the leaves have come off theres a good chance its dead.Sorry....! In future I will have to stick to a hardier hedge like Laurel.

Yes, two houses down have a laurel hedge, looks unscathed after all that frost, might be an option for you OP. It's a pity, because griselinia takes a few years to become a proper hedge, and to see that patience destroyed by a couple weeks of frost is a pain. Beech might be an option too. Sprinkle a bit of holy water on it as a last resort, maybe you will get a few green shoots by May ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Thanks guys. I think some of it might pull through but we'll see.
    Appreciate the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I've given up on my griselinia hedge after the last 2 winter's. Out it goes and in goes a laurel hedge next week. I don't think our winters our going to get warmer anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Unfortunately if we are (and the experts say it is the case) going to get these low and prolonged winter temperatures on a regualr cycle. Many of our less robust plants from Aus, NZ, SA, etc. will be damaged each year possibly killed. If they don't die they certainly wont thrive by being damaged each winter and spending the next summer regenerating. This will eventually weaken the plant and over time kill it anyway.

As far as prevention is concerned it may be practical to fleece some smaller species but a hedge is out of the question. I lost a number of previously unharmed palms last year as I was away and didn't fleece them but in saying that I think I only fleeced them once in the last five years or so.

You can wait and see what happens then prune out the dead elements and hope next year(s) winter isn't as bad or cut your losses and plant something which will survive a harsh prolonged frost. You could do worse than plant a mixed hedge of native species and be surprised at the amount of wildlife it attracts.;)

Same issue with the cabbage palms/cordylines this year again they got a hammering with some very sorry looking specimens around. The plants froze through and if all of your leaves are falling off then the tip at least is dead.
    I cut a few down last year to about 5' for a neighbour and they regenerated with two and three heads on each trunk. Gave them a sprinkle of blood fish and bone they came on great even survived this year as they were low enough to fleece. Ongoing?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 harper61

Many garden centres in Cork no longer stocking griselinia _ have they given up on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭denisor

Im curious if your griselinia's have recovered?

Hi. All of the bushes have some leaves that haven't fallen. Advice from a gardener was to leave it til June to do anything with it and see if there is new growth. Some of the branches around the base are dead. I will check it tonight to see if there is anynew growth happening and will post up! I do think most of it will recover somewhat!

About half the hedge still has a decent amount of coverage, about 20%. the middle half is bald all the way up and about 10% coverage around the top of it. There are new buds growing in all bushes but I don't know if the bottom half of them will actually grow leaves again.

• Advertisement

So since I last updated here we lost all the leaves. Nada left.
    I havent done anything with it yet as I was debating wether or not to chop it.
    So over the weekend I spotted new shoots at the base of the shrubs! Over half of the shrubs have new shoots coming up.

I am wondering now if i should cut the hegde down somewhat. It is about 5 foot tall or so and was thinking f halving the height.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 harper61

my grisilinia showing no sign of life !

Advertisement